Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So today 15:48 - Feb 28 with 10459 viewshype313

Maplins and Toys'r'us, have gone into administration. Prezzo are shutting down 100 stores.

Brexits working a dream.

[Post edited 28 Feb 2018 19:00]

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

So today on 15:53 - Feb 28 with 5634 viewsSwansea_Blue

I wouldn't have though it's got anything (exchange rate drop aside) to do with the impending Brexit though, is it? ToysRUs in trouble in the States too - people's shopping habits have changed drastically and a lot of stores are having trouble adapting. Not that I've seen any of their reasons (don't even know who or what Chichithingy is)

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So today on 15:54 - Feb 28 with 5625 viewschicoazul

Don't know what Brexit has to do with Prezzo being in an incredibly over-crowded dining space competing with Pizza Express.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So today on 15:56 - Feb 28 with 5617 viewsflimflam

And how exactly has Brexit caused that?

I guess it is Brexit's fault that 1000's of pubs have closed over the last 10 years too?

Toys R Us have been in trouble for years as have not embraced the online market.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

So today on 15:58 - Feb 28 with 5595 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Hot on the heels of Brexit causing Woolworths to collapse too

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

So today on 15:59 - Feb 28 with 5597 viewsSwansea_Blue

So today on 15:54 - Feb 28 by chicoazul

Don't know what Brexit has to do with Prezzo being in an incredibly over-crowded dining space competing with Pizza Express.

Obviously full of those 50 million Bulgarians who all game over here looking for handouts (pizza)

So today on 16:00 - Feb 28 with 5590 viewsgiant_stow

The guardian explained this the other day: exchange rate problems,staff recruitment, plus the punters are freaked by impending doom.

Non brexit reasons include rate rises and over investment

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

So today on 16:01 - Feb 28 with 5582 viewsSwansea_Blue

So today on 15:58 - Feb 28 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Hot on the heels of Brexit causing Woolworths to collapse too

And Andys Records

So today on 16:03 - Feb 28 with 5566 viewsSpruceMoose

So today on 16:01 - Feb 28 by Swansea_Blue

And Andys Records

Don't forget Grimwade's.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Login to get fewer ads

So today on 16:03 - Feb 28 with 5566 viewsIpswichKnight

Don't forget Freddie Lakers Skytrain, obviously the fault of Brexit!
So today on 16:03 - Feb 28 with 5561 viewslowhouseblue

for the first two it's amazon that's working a dream.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

So today on 16:04 - Feb 28 with 5557 viewsusm

I blame Global Warming,

Oh and Maggie,

And the PC Brigade.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

So today on 16:07 - Feb 28 with 5540 viewsSwansea_Blue

So today on 16:03 - Feb 28 by SpruceMoose

Don't forget Grimwade's.

Too late, I already had. That's a blast from the past.

So today on 16:07 - Feb 28 with 5538 viewsSwansea_Blue

So today on 16:04 - Feb 28 by usm

I blame Global Warming,

Oh and Maggie,

And the PC Brigade.

Yep, wouldn't have happened if we'd all had Macs instead.

So today on 16:10 - Feb 28 with 5515 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Chimichange is part of the Prezzo group.

Toys r us and Maplin are the result of bad management.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

So today on 16:21 - Feb 28 with 5482 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Ewan Davies was talking to the ex pizza express MD and some other restaurateurs on R4 last week. There is a lot of stress in the industry at the moment with the main forces being too many new restaurants opening in the past three years and we are seeing a correction in supply/demand apparently. The main thing however is the rises in rent and rates (due to the changes in business rate calculation). The change in rates has wiped out a lot of business cases.
So today on 16:24 - Feb 28 with 5448 viewsSwansea_Blue

So today on 16:21 - Feb 28 by FrowsyArmLarry

Ewan Davies was talking to the ex pizza express MD and some other restaurateurs on R4 last week. There is a lot of stress in the industry at the moment with the main forces being too many new restaurants opening in the past three years and we are seeing a correction in supply/demand apparently. The main thing however is the rises in rent and rates (due to the changes in business rate calculation). The change in rates has wiped out a lot of business cases.

That makes sense. That's having a hit on a lot of businesses. Was talking to someone the other day with a change of usage application in with their local council (holiday home rates doubling) and the system is clogged with applications.

So today on 16:27 - Feb 28 with 5433 viewsFreddies_Ears

It has increased costs on any imported products. Also, drop in economic growth and inflation > wage rises over a couple of years has reduced consumer spending. Econ growth and inflation issues are Brexit-related.

Prezzo over-expansion in a crowded market didn't help either, incl paying over the odds in rents.
So today on 16:32 - Feb 28 with 5408 viewsDeano69

Same as Byrons and a few others, trying to grow beyond their means, not always the best strategy for longevity.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

So today on 16:33 - Feb 28 with 5410 viewsHennikerBlu

Please edit your OP. Prezzo and Chimichanga have announced the closure of 100 out of 300 stores. They are NOT in administration.

I have friends that work there. Cheers!
So today on 16:39 - Feb 28 with 5374 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

So today on 16:24 - Feb 28 by Swansea_Blue

That makes sense. That's having a hit on a lot of businesses. Was talking to someone the other day with a change of usage application in with their local council (holiday home rates doubling) and the system is clogged with applications.

Yeah, that’s what it comes down to. The other important fact they mentioned was that these businesses (restaurants) operate on 20% profit so a big change in costs really hits them. Rising food costs were mentioned but not a big influence. Incidentally the markup on a plate of food is £12 for £1.20 worth of ingredients.
So today on 16:43 - Feb 28 with 5353 viewsDeano69

So today on 16:04 - Feb 28 by usm

I blame Global Warming,

Oh and Maggie,

And the PC Brigade.

Jamie Oliver, he's the one

So today on 16:50 - Feb 28 with 5322 viewsLord_Lucan

To be fair.

ToysRus; Been on the cards for years - outdated business

Maplins; They charge £20 for a cable that you can buy of Amazon for next day (sometimes same day) delivery at £1

Prezzo; People have realised they are being ripped off? - Watch Zizzis, Ask etc follow.

ChimmyWimmy; Didn't know about that. See above.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if B&Q hit the wall although apparently their finances are strong.

Brands that lead the way like Ikea, McDonalds, Aldi, etc seem to be ok.

Personally I think Brexit won't help but the stores you mentioned have been a long time in trouble. Maplins appointed ex directors of two other failed companies to their board recently.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

So today on 16:52 - Feb 28 with 5307 viewsMullet

Some good bites here for, with all due respect a fairly beige little maggot you dangled out. Must be the weather.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

So today on 16:54 - Feb 28 with 5294 viewsPinewoodblue

So today on 16:07 - Feb 28 by Swansea_Blue

Too late, I already had. That's a blast from the past.

Don't forget Footmans.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

So today on 16:55 - Feb 28 with 5294 viewsDeano69

So today on 16:50 - Feb 28 by Lord_Lucan

To be fair.

ToysRus; Been on the cards for years - outdated business

Maplins; They charge £20 for a cable that you can buy of Amazon for next day (sometimes same day) delivery at £1

Prezzo; People have realised they are being ripped off? - Watch Zizzis, Ask etc follow.

ChimmyWimmy; Didn't know about that. See above.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if B&Q hit the wall although apparently their finances are strong.

Brands that lead the way like Ikea, McDonalds, Aldi, etc seem to be ok.

Personally I think Brexit won't help but the stores you mentioned have been a long time in trouble. Maplins appointed ex directors of two other failed companies to their board recently.

Agree. Much like the Ryanair suggestion that they have pulled out of Glasgow because of Brexit. Just a convenient excuse.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024