Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn 09:06 - Feb 26 with 9277 viewsunstableblue

We had the debacle and awful display against Burton, we had an positive first half against Norwich (all bluster rather than genuine craft/System), Cardiff some real positives with the new back 3, and then a great first half against Preston and the emergence of some pace and running from a full debutant.

Let’s see if it’s genuine progress in the next two winnable games.

I can’t help but feel we’ve been here before. I don’t think the system and distribution can truly release the likes of Carayol, or before that Celina. I think the wing backs lack some real quality. And the elephant in the room is that Hyam, Connolly and skuse are not capable of both grabbing a game and the creativity and playmaker role that micks system requires. Long ball will continue with too much lost ball.

I do hope we have a real run. And I’ll be at a sparesly populated Portman Road for Hull. But mick will have to fix so many things, to win back the 75% of fans he has lost.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:08 - Feb 26 with 6049 viewsitfcjoe

Even if results do improve now for the run in, it's too late to challenge for the POs so doesn't mean a lot - although it of course would be nice

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:11 - Feb 26 with 6025 viewsNo9

As P.O.'s look too hopeful & relegation very unlikely now is the time Team Management should look to build a credible midfield (the achillies heel for far too long) to really move forward next season.
We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:15 - Feb 26 with 6001 viewsSWGF

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:11 - Feb 26 by No9

As P.O.'s look too hopeful & relegation very unlikely now is the time Team Management should look to build a credible midfield (the achillies heel for far too long) to really move forward next season.

They'll do well to build a credible midfield with the current options.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:17 - Feb 26 with 5998 viewsHerbivore

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:11 - Feb 26 by No9

If you could either reopen the transfer window or magically fix Huws, Adeyemi, Dozzer and Bishop that would be a big help.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:18 - Feb 26 with 5997 viewsPinewoodblue

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:08 - Feb 26 by itfcjoe

Even if results do improve now for the run in, it's too late to challenge for the POs so doesn't mean a lot - although it of course would be nice

Three academy outfield players made the trip to Preston, would be nice to think one or more will make the bench for the next game. Mick's cautious approach doesn't change.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:20 - Feb 26 with 5987 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Yeah, playing an injured Huws/Bishop/Dozzell/Adeyemi would definitely be wise

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:24 - Feb 26 with 5979 viewsHerbivore

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:18 - Feb 26 by Pinewoodblue

Three academy outfield players made the trip to Preston, would be nice to think one or more will make the bench for the next game. Mick's cautious approach doesn't change.

You can guarantee that if he'd chucked the youngsters in at Preston and we'd lost he'd have been slated. It's too early to be throwing young players who aren't ready yet into the team just for the sake of experience.

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:27 - Feb 26 with 5961 viewsKieran_Knows

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:24 - Feb 26 by Herbivore

You can guarantee that if he'd chucked the youngsters in at Preston and we'd lost he'd have been slated. It's too early to be throwing young players who aren't ready yet into the team just for the sake of experience.

When is ever going to be the right time to put the kids in though? We get to this stage every season where we have pretty much b*gger all to play for, and we get told 'i'll start using the kids more now', and it barely happens? I appreciate Gleeson is a new signing and has plenty of experience, but wouldn't it have been nice for Nydam to be on the bench instead on Saturday?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Login to get fewer ads

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:29 - Feb 26 with 5964 viewsSomethingBlue

It's not really an elephant in the room, is it - it's that all of our playmakers, at least one of whom would be starting if fit, are injured.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:34 - Feb 26 with 5933 viewsblueislander

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:17 - Feb 26 by Herbivore

If you could either reopen the transfer window or magically fix Huws, Adeyemi, Dozzer and Bishop that would be a big help.

Yep. I don't think we can hope for the progressive and creative midfield until those you mention are fit. If we could secure Connolly either permanently or for another season to play the anchor role that would be great . Unfortunately , if McCarthy is still Manager we will have Skuse again, and possibly Gleeson , or he will convert another defender to midfield, so only one at most of the creative players will start. That would not produce the change in style for which so many of us crave.
We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:36 - Feb 26 with 5927 viewsHerbivore

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:27 - Feb 26 by Kieran_Knows

When is ever going to be the right time to put the kids in though? We get to this stage every season where we have pretty much b*gger all to play for, and we get told 'i'll start using the kids more now', and it barely happens? I appreciate Gleeson is a new signing and has plenty of experience, but wouldn't it have been nice for Nydam to be on the bench instead on Saturday?

Nydam isn't match fit, he's had one u23 game in recent times and that's about it. We will see the youngsters more over the remaining games but there's still a quarter of the season to go, it's too early to down tools. I suspect we'll start seeing Morris on the bench relatively soon though with Didz being out for the season and Garner nursing a knee problem.

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:39 - Feb 26 with 5921 viewsITFCBlues

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:27 - Feb 26 by Kieran_Knows

Aswas said above, with the pressure on Mick to get some results and the toxic athmosphere around the place currently - is this a good time to throw the young players in?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:42 - Feb 26 with 5910 viewsKieran_Knows

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:39 - Feb 26 by ITFCBlues

Aswas said above, with the pressure on Mick to get some results and the toxic athmosphere around the place currently - is this a good time to throw the young players in?

That's a very good point, but why does Mick feel the need to say that he'll start giving some of the youngsters some game time between now and the end of the season? Isn't that just putting more pressure on himself (because we all want to see it, but it never looks likely to happen)?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:49 - Feb 26 with 5874 viewsHerbivore

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:42 - Feb 26 by Kieran_Knows

That's a very good point, but why does Mick feel the need to say that he'll start giving some of the youngsters some game time between now and the end of the season? Isn't that just putting more pressure on himself (because we all want to see it, but it never looks likely to happen)?

Because he will give the youngsters some more game time between now and the end of the season maybe? He probably doesn't expect that he'll be getting flak for not doing so when there's still a quarter of the season left to play and we've just won away at a Preston side who had only lost one of their last seventeen games.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2018 10:00]

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:59 - Feb 26 with 5841 viewsGuthrum

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:08 - Feb 26 by itfcjoe

If you give us a little unbeaten run of two wins and two draws over the next four (not entirely unrealistic), while everyone else continues with their current form, it leaves Town interestingly poised in 11th, just 3 points away from Boro in 6th - and about to face shambolic Birmingham.

Mind you, over that timeframe, Cardiff's brilliant recent form allows them to overtake slightly stuttering Wolves.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 10:03 - Feb 26 with 5814 viewsSWGF

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:39 - Feb 26 by ITFCBlues

Can we PLEASE stop using the adjective "toxic" to describe the atmosphere around the club. It's really, really not.

It's apathetic.

The atmosphere at Birmingham is "toxic".

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 10:03 - Feb 26 with 5806 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:34 - Feb 26 by blueislander

Yep. I don't think we can hope for the progressive and creative midfield until those you mention are fit. If we could secure Connolly either permanently or for another season to play the anchor role that would be great . Unfortunately , if McCarthy is still Manager we will have Skuse again, and possibly Gleeson , or he will convert another defender to midfield, so only one at most of the creative players will start. That would not produce the change in style for which so many of us crave.

When we had more options earlier in the season he was playing more attacking players though

When we beat Sunderland at home we had all of Waghorn, Celina, McGoldrick and Garner on the pitch, with Adeyemi alongside Skuse in the centre of midfield

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 10:04 - Feb 26 with 5806 viewsGuthrum

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:42 - Feb 26 by Kieran_Knows

Because if he didn't say that, he'd be pilloried for it. At least if he holds out the hope, it keeps some people off his back for a while.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 10:49 - Feb 26 with 5718 viewsHerbivore

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 10:04 - Feb 26 by Guthrum

Because if he didn't say that, he'd be pilloried for it. At least if he holds out the hope, it keeps some people off his back for a while.

Plus there's still a quarter of the season left to give them some game time, not to mention that Downes and Nydam have already played several games this season. It's a measure of the antipathy towards Mick that after a very good 1-0 win at a side only beaten once in seventeen games someone decides to complain about not playing the youngsters.

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 11:04 - Feb 26 with 5685 viewsunstableblue

Completely agree.

Of course in my original post I should have stated that perhaps Huws, Adeyemi and/or Dozzell could have made a difference being fit. Albeit I think you can almost write off Adeyemi. And huws clearly is injury prone.

But I'm not 100% sure.

Huws is much less the playmaker than you think, he's more an advanced midfielder who causes trouble up field and is more akin to Dozzell, albeit different attributes.

Its the grab the game by the scruff of the neck type player, which I see as Downes next season, and the longer distribution to fee in more run at defender type players like Celina and Carayol. That doesn't seem to be McGoldrick. And its certainly not the loanee Connoly, nor Hyam. Is it Skuse I think not. I would hope that Connoly being a defender could have sat deep and freed Skuse a little more, but I've yet to see this happen.

But I let's see how we play against Hull and what system.

Getting Downes back seems a potential idea? Nydam needs further recovery, but could also be in the mix.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 11:12 - Feb 26 with 5661 viewsHerbivore

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 11:04 - Feb 26 by unstableblue

Completely agree.

Of course in my original post I should have stated that perhaps Huws, Adeyemi and/or Dozzell could have made a difference being fit. Albeit I think you can almost write off Adeyemi. And huws clearly is injury prone.

But I'm not 100% sure.

Huws is much less the playmaker than you think, he's more an advanced midfielder who causes trouble up field and is more akin to Dozzell, albeit different attributes.

Its the grab the game by the scruff of the neck type player, which I see as Downes next season, and the longer distribution to fee in more run at defender type players like Celina and Carayol. That doesn't seem to be McGoldrick. And its certainly not the loanee Connoly, nor Hyam. Is it Skuse I think not. I would hope that Connoly being a defender could have sat deep and freed Skuse a little more, but I've yet to see this happen.

But I let's see how we play against Hull and what system.

Getting Downes back seems a potential idea? Nydam needs further recovery, but could also be in the mix.

Dozzell has the ability to grab the game by the scruff of the neck. He did so superbly against Brizzle at home last season in the second half and did so in his only game this season. Not sure if Downes is quite that player, seems more of a tenacious box to box type whereas Dozzer is definitely a playmaker.

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 11:33 - Feb 26 with 5624 viewsBlueNomad

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 09:34 - Feb 26 by blueislander

Skuse should be in the team, regardless of who is fit. He is the best player we have in the role he plays and one of our top performers this season. It is who plays alongside him that is crucial.
We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 11:47 - Feb 26 with 5594 viewshammo56

3 wins in our last 13 matches, 2 goals scored in our last 7 home games.
Think we have a way to go yet on the progress part.
We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 11:57 - Feb 26 with 5559 viewsSomethingBlue

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 11:47 - Feb 26 by hammo56

3 wins in our last 13 matches, 2 goals scored in our last 7 home games.
Think we have a way to go yet on the progress part.

And two defeats in our last eight — it can all be spun any way you like.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

We’ve been here so many time before.. hint at genuine progress or a false dawn on 12:02 - Feb 26 with 5542 viewsbritbiker

We're a gamblers nightmare. Every time I look at the fixtures and we're playing 3 top teams, I expect three draws at best. Invariably we will get, win, lose, draw.
We then get three middle to bottom teams and I think a win, maybe two an a draw. What we get is one diabolical performance with perhaps a draw, a loss and a win.
That said we don't beat anyone easily nor do we get stuffed anymore either.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2018 14:39]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024