Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Following on from Joe's thread below... 09:40 - May 8 with 2406 viewstractorboy1978

I think we need a couple of experienced PL heads. Your Aluko/Keogh types a level higher - albeit we will want them to play more minutes than those two did. We have to remember that next season is going to be a step up for our on pitch 'leaders' like Morsy/Chaplin as well. They are going to need some help.

Brighton have signed the likes of Lallana and Milner in recent seasons. Luton got Barkley and Townsend.

So my question is, who would be available and possible? The below is probably a decent starting point. Danny Welbeck would be a fantastic pick up but sounds like he's about to agree a new deal at Brighton. Cresswell another one with a wealth of PL experience, a big personality and would be great around the squad.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/endendevertraege/wettbewerb/GB1
Following on from Joe's thread below... on 10:20 - May 8 with 1972 viewsportmanking

Cresswell makes heaps of sense to me. Knows the club, very capable back-up to Davis, great work ethic and character.

Nathaniel Clyne is out of contract at Palace. Always been a solid RB. Paul Dummett was linked a few months ago and would be another solid Prem pro.
Following on from Joe's thread below... on 10:22 - May 8 with 1936 viewsFrimleyBlue

Ings?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 10:24 - May 8 with 1920 viewswkj

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 10:22 - May 8 by FrimleyBlue

Ings?

No, he's getting progressively worse each season.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 10:38 - May 8 with 1872 viewsBellevue_Blue

I'd love Adam Webster and or Mings ...

From a purely footballing perspective, both have the technical ability as well as the ability to physically dominate. Mings obviously left footed so that might help us with balance. Both real leaders and both have been captain of Brighton/ Villa respectively.

Both would add to our team/ culture, both have played 5+ years in the division, know the club well, would want to be involved in the community so both feel like really strong fits. Worth remembering Chappers was Webster's best man as well so you'd have thought would fit into the team seamlessly.

The main question is likely would they be available? Webster has been in and out of the team with injuries and when fit in the last 6 months, seems to be more of a bench option. Brighton will want to kick on again this summer though and with that Caicedo money they may well want to strengthen the back line.

Mings coming off a very serious injury and now 31. Started the season in the first team but you'd have thought he might need a loan or with Champions League football impending they may well wish to upgrade and not take the risk.

Lots of interesting names though!
Following on from Joe's thread below... on 14:40 - May 8 with 1700 viewstractorboy1978

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 10:38 - May 8 by Bellevue_Blue

From a purely footballing perspective, both have the technical ability as well as the ability to physically dominate. Mings obviously left footed so that might help us with balance. Both real leaders and both have been captain of Brighton/ Villa respectively.

Both would add to our team/ culture, both have played 5+ years in the division, know the club well, would want to be involved in the community so both feel like really strong fits. Worth remembering Chappers was Webster's best man as well so you'd have thought would fit into the team seamlessly.

The main question is likely would they be available? Webster has been in and out of the team with injuries and when fit in the last 6 months, seems to be more of a bench option. Brighton will want to kick on again this summer though and with that Caicedo money they may well want to strengthen the back line.

Mings coming off a very serious injury and now 31. Started the season in the first team but you'd have thought he might need a loan or with Champions League football impending they may well wish to upgrade and not take the risk.

Guess the issue with those two is they'd still command decent fees and wages on 3/4 year contracts, but are now in depreciating asset territory. I think this season, we want to be spending our fees on players with potential resale value and growth and looking to supplement it with a couple of shorter term experienced heads (albeit still on decent wages).
Following on from Joe's thread below... on 14:48 - May 8 with 1628 viewsNutkins_Return

One or two max. Reason being I think we have quite an experienced squad to be honest. A couple of experienced prem players would help but we really need to be careful with our spend And not spending money that doesn't hold or increase its value. Fine balance to get right.id second Adam Webster though.
Following on from Joe's thread below... on 14:57 - May 8 with 1567 viewsChurchman

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 14:48 - May 8 by Nutkins_Return

One or two max. Reason being I think we have quite an experienced squad to be honest. A couple of experienced prem players would help but we really need to be careful with our spend And not spending money that doesn't hold or increase its value. Fine balance to get right.id second Adam Webster though.

Webster or Cresswell for me. Experience is one thing, a team full of has beens and once big time Charlie’s looking for a pay day will only end in tears.

One of the strengths of this and last season is how together and hungry the team looked. Everyone doing their utmost on and off the pitch for literally every minute of 46 games. Remarkable. Anyone we bring in must buy into that or go elsewhere.
Following on from Joe's thread below... on 14:58 - May 8 with 1564 viewstractorboy1978

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 14:48 - May 8 by Nutkins_Return

I definitely wasn't advocating spending big fees on experienced PL players. Hence why I linked those PL players out of contract. Disagree re experience in the squad, other than Tuanzebe I don't think we have a player that has kicked a ball in the PL let alone played a decent number of games.
Login to get fewer ads

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 15:00 - May 8 with 1533 viewsFrimleyBlue

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 14:57 - May 8 by Churchman

Webster or Cresswell for me. Experience is one thing, a team full of has beens and once big time Charlie’s looking for a pay day will only end in tears.

One of the strengths of this and last season is how together and hungry the team looked. Everyone doing their utmost on and off the pitch for literally every minute of 46 games. Remarkable. Anyone we bring in must buy into that or go elsewhere.

Creswell would be an ideal signing

Knows the club. Great guy, experienced. Left side cover. Someone davis could learn a hell of a lot from.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 15:04 - May 8 with 1509 viewsyorkshireblue

I'd humbly suggest that when people say the likes of Mings, Cresswell, Webster "know the club" we are light years ahead of the club that that they played ofr compared to now.
Following on from Joe's thread below... on 15:43 - May 8 with 1412 viewsITFCMonk

Wood & Cresswell for me
Following on from Joe's thread below... on 15:48 - May 8 with 1378 viewsHerbivore

Thought the shout of Ben Davies was a good one. Lots of Prem experience, can cover both LCB and LB, at an age where he's still close to his best and would be a good player for us for a couple of years at least. Adds to the strong Welsh contingent at the club. He may well have better offers but someone of that ilk would be good. Mings and Webster, I worry about their fitness, Cresswell probably only has a year in him and would he want to spend it on the bench as he's not going to be starting ahead of Leif?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 15:51 - May 8 with 1361 viewstextbackup

Wellbeck seems an obvious choice, KM is a big admirer of how Brighton play, and from what I gather we try to play similar… meaning he’d slip into what KM wants from a striker.

Midfield - I’d not be upset with Will Hughes, still only 29.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 15:54 - May 8 with 1327 viewsportmanking

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 15:51 - May 8 by textbackup

Wellbeck seems an obvious choice, KM is a big admirer of how Brighton play, and from what I gather we try to play similar… meaning he’d slip into what KM wants from a striker.

Midfield - I’d not be upset with Will Hughes, still only 29.

Annoyingly, Hughes triggered a new 12-month extension a few weeks ago, otherwise he'd have made a great squad player for us.
Following on from Joe's thread below... on 15:56 - May 8 with 1304 viewstextbackup

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 15:54 - May 8 by portmanking

Annoyingly, Hughes triggered a new 12-month extension a few weeks ago, otherwise he'd have made a great squad player for us.

Probably regrets it now, considering we got promoted… he should have held out!

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 16:06 - May 8 with 1261 viewsJ2BLUE

Milner would be a no brainer if he's fit enough to give us an hour in 20+ games.

38 now but I haven't seen any talk of retirement.

Welbeck is a good shout. Quality, character and experience.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 16:10 - May 8 with 1224 viewstextbackup

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 16:06 - May 8 by J2BLUE

Milner would be a no brainer if he's fit enough to give us an hour in 20+ games.

38 now but I haven't seen any talk of retirement.

Welbeck is a good shout. Quality, character and experience.

Probably worked under KM at MUFC too? Or had he left by then.

Hirst would learn so much off him.

Right made my mind up, want him in as first signing, get on it MA!

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 16:17 - May 8 with 1194 viewsRadlett_blue

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 10:38 - May 8 by Bellevue_Blue

I doubt McKenna will be particularly interested in former Town players, although he did get Kieffer Moore in on loan. However, I'm sure we will sign a couple of experienced players. Only 2 loans allowed next season, though.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 16:19 - May 8 with 1180 viewstractordownsouth

Welbeck was one I thought of the other day too, with the similarity in style.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 16:22 - May 8 with 1154 viewsyorkshireblue

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 15:43 - May 8 by ITFCMonk

Wood & Cresswell for me

Chris Wood?

Isn't he on 100k a week? Not sure we'll be dropping that kind of salary year 1.
Following on from Joe's thread below... on 16:22 - May 8 with 1153 viewsThatMuhrenCross

I agree Prem experience will be required, but I'd want it to be players I know would be here in the best interests of the club, rather than a pay day. Barkley has shown himself to be a good pro at Luton and I'd welcome him. Other names mentioned above such as Mings, Webster and Cresswell do make sense too, although there's no chance the latter is a starter these days!

Poll: Ipswich offer you 10k a week, Norwich offer you 20k. Who do you join?
Blog: The Cashless Debate

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 16:23 - May 8 with 1131 viewstractorboy1978

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 16:22 - May 8 by ThatMuhrenCross

I agree Prem experience will be required, but I'd want it to be players I know would be here in the best interests of the club, rather than a pay day. Barkley has shown himself to be a good pro at Luton and I'd welcome him. Other names mentioned above such as Mings, Webster and Cresswell do make sense too, although there's no chance the latter is a starter these days!

Barkley would be superb. I suspect he'll have suitors higher up the chain this summer though.
Following on from Joe's thread below... on 16:31 - May 8 with 1075 viewsGeoffSentence

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 14:58 - May 8 by tractorboy1978

I definitely wasn't advocating spending big fees on experienced PL players. Hence why I linked those PL players out of contract. Disagree re experience in the squad, other than Tuanzebe I don't think we have a player that has kicked a ball in the PL let alone played a decent number of games.

Leif has kicked a ball in the prem, he has about half an hour on the pitch over two games for Leeds.

Broady may or may not have kicked a ball, he got on for two minutes for Everton vs Brighton in 2021.

I think they are the only ones, Tuanzebe aside, who have even got on the pitch in the EPL

Harry has played 19 Premiership games.

Bu that was Scottish premiersip, for Ross County.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 17:06 - May 8 with 1011 viewsSimonds92

Cresswell's legs have gone unfortunately. Leif is rapid, which is why he can push so high and still recover. There's no way Cresswell could fill that role, it would be like having Stephen Ward back!
Following on from Joe's thread below... on 17:14 - May 8 with 979 viewsSimonds92

Following on from Joe's thread below... on 15:48 - May 8 by Herbivore

Thought the shout of Ben Davies was a good one. Lots of Prem experience, can cover both LCB and LB, at an age where he's still close to his best and would be a good player for us for a couple of years at least. Adds to the strong Welsh contingent at the club. He may well have better offers but someone of that ilk would be good. Mings and Webster, I worry about their fitness, Cresswell probably only has a year in him and would he want to spend it on the bench as he's not going to be starting ahead of Leif?

He would probably do a job and be solid but he's so crap on the ball he makes me laugh and then even annoys me as a neutral. Opposition teams just stand off him and say, 'go on then Ben, you stick a ball in the box' and he can't. 16 assists in a relatively good team in 10 years over 225 games. Leif will beat that total in a season!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024