Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unknown US Civil War Generals..... 18:48 - Apr 30 with 829 viewsford6600

Their were hundreds of Union and Confederate Civil War Generals most forgotten, can you name any?
General Awareness
General Thread
General Haircut...
Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 18:49 - Apr 30 with 816 viewsWD19

General Disinterest springs immediately to mind.
Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 18:55 - Apr 30 with 775 viewsKeno

Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 18:49 - Apr 30 by WD19

General Whatthef4ck
General Whynow

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 18:55 - Apr 30 with 775 viewsfactual_blue

Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 18:49 - Apr 30 by WD19

Uninterested is what you mean, I think. 'Disinterested' means something different.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 18:56 - Apr 30 with 762 viewsKeno

Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 18:55 - Apr 30 by factual_blue

Uninterested is what you mean, I think. 'Disinterested' means something different.

is disinterest what you get on deessavings?

Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 18:58 - Apr 30 with 746 viewsfactual_blue

Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 18:55 - Apr 30 by Keno

General Whatthef4ck
General Whynow

General John Sedgewick said at the start of the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House in 1864 'why are you dodging [sniper fire} like this? They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist....'

Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 18:59 - Apr 30 with 738 viewsGeoffSentence

general anxiety.

Good looking fellow, I'm feeling him now.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 19:00 - Apr 30 with 730 viewsfactual_blue

Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 18:56 - Apr 30 by Keno

is disinterest what you get on deessavings?

Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 19:10 - Apr 30 with 697 viewsford6600

...only 55 minutes to go...
General Anticipation
Login to get fewer ads

Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 19:12 - Apr 30 with 694 viewsChurchman

Well the obvious ones are Sherman, Maclennan, Custer, Grant, Hill, Bedford Forrest, Lee, Stuart, Stonewall Jackson but there are loads.

https://www.historynet.com/civil-war-generals/

The Ken Burns tv documentary with the marvellously named historian Shelby Foote was brilliant but it’s still a conflict that confuses the heck out of me.

A little known war (to the British) is the 1812-15 Britain v US conflict. I’ve just finished Andrew Lambert’s book ‘The Challenge’ on it and it’s well worth a read if you are interested in that sort of thing.

One of the famous events was a sea fight between two frigates. HMS Shannon and USS Chesapeake. Evenly matched, it took the form of a duel. Shannon’s Captain Philip Broke had trained his crew to an absolute peak and the fight lasted effectively about 15 minutes. Chesapeake’s Captain and most of his officers were killed or wounded as was Broke whose head was smashed with a cutlass when boarding his opponent. He survived and lived to the 1840s.

Philip Broke became a national hero and was knighted. He was a native of Ipswich. He attended Ipswich School and retired to his mansion in Nacton. The gates of Nacton Hall were made of timbers from HMS Shannon after it was broken up about 50 years later.

Chesapeake’s Captain was also considered a hero by the Americans, but he was completely outfought.

The war itself is usually presented as a draw. Lambert’s book suggests otherwise.
Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 19:29 - Apr 30 with 639 viewsDJR

Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 19:12 - Apr 30 by Churchman

Well the obvious ones are Sherman, Maclennan, Custer, Grant, Hill, Bedford Forrest, Lee, Stuart, Stonewall Jackson but there are loads.

The Ken Burns tv documentary with the marvellously named historian Shelby Foote was brilliant but it’s still a conflict that confuses the heck out of me.

A little known war (to the British) is the 1812-15 Britain v US conflict. I’ve just finished Andrew Lambert’s book ‘The Challenge’ on it and it’s well worth a read if you are interested in that sort of thing.

One of the famous events was a sea fight between two frigates. HMS Shannon and USS Chesapeake. Evenly matched, it took the form of a duel. Shannon’s Captain Philip Broke had trained his crew to an absolute peak and the fight lasted effectively about 15 minutes. Chesapeake’s Captain and most of his officers were killed or wounded as was Broke whose head was smashed with a cutlass when boarding his opponent. He survived and lived to the 1840s.

Philip Broke became a national hero and was knighted. He was a native of Ipswich. He attended Ipswich School and retired to his mansion in Nacton. The gates of Nacton Hall were made of timbers from HMS Shannon after it was broken up about 50 years later.

Chesapeake’s Captain was also considered a hero by the Americans, but he was completely outfought.

The war itself is usually presented as a draw. Lambert’s book suggests otherwise.

I didn't know anything about Broke, or the mansion he lived in (Broke Hall), even though the estate I lived in in Ipswich for much of my childhood was named after the mansion.
Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 19:37 - Apr 30 with 607 viewsKeno

I am fascinated by the story of Wilbur McLean

Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 20:24 - Apr 30 with 556 viewsfactual_blue

Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 19:37 - Apr 30 by Keno

Oi! That's my line!

Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 22:06 - Apr 30 with 462 viewsChurchman

Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 19:37 - Apr 30 by Keno

Was he the bloke that seemed to have a house everywhere the action took place?
Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 22:08 - Apr 30 with 449 viewsford6600

...and breathe

General Relief
Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 22:11 - Apr 30 with 429 viewsKievthegreat

One summary I saw was that the British and Americans drew, but the Native Americans lost.
Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 23:41 - Apr 30 with 370 viewsfactual_blue

Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 22:06 - Apr 30 by Churchman

Was he the bloke that seemed to have a house everywhere the action took place?

Wilmer McLean (May 3, 1814 – June 5, 1882) was an American wholesale grocer from Virginia. His house, near Manassas, Virginia, was involved in the First Battle of Bull Run in 1861. After the battle, he moved to Appomattox, Virginia, to escape the war, thinking that it would be safe. Instead, in 1865, General Robert E. Lee surrendered to Ulysses S. Grant in McLean's house in Appomattox.

Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 09:13 - May 1 with 269 viewsChurchman

Unknown US Civil War Generals..... on 22:11 - Apr 30 by Kievthegreat

One summary I saw was that the British and Americans drew, but the Native Americans lost.

That’s the American narrative. They declared war for a number of reasons, the main one being the Republicans loathing of Britain. Every single objective was missed.

They like to claim Britain wanted America back. It didn’t. It didn’t want to lose Canada. It wanted the right to press British sailors on foreign ships - something all belligerent nations adhered to bar America in picking a fight. Britain never wanted a war. It was a tiny sideshow, the main event being the war against Napoleon.

The US publicises its big 44 gun frigates’ victories over 36 gun smaller frigates in a ‘fair fight’. Only Shannon/Chesapeake are actually matched. The main one they crow about is Constitution/Guerriere. They neglect to mention Guerriere had about half the weight of fire to Constitution and its advantage in mobility was negated by masts so rotten that it couldn’t manoeuvre to capacity or get away without them falling over the side, not that R.N. Captains ran away in those days.

By 1815, the US Navy was bottled up or lost. Constitution’s sister ship USS President was taken by the smaller HMS Endymion as a prize. USS Essex bas burned along with a few other ships. Privateers were captured by Britain at a ratio of 10-1. Insurance rates for British merchant ships stayed the same throughout the war, which demonstrated that the US navy was not able to interfere at all, in real terms.

The US lost its far east trade. Its capital was captured and after a nice dinner the British burned the White House down. The US economy was bankrupted totally by blockade and took 15 years to recover. They failed to take Canada - a prime objective.

By every measure they lost the war. It was a sideshow for the British. One that they won comprehensively. At the peace conference, Impressment wasn’t even discussed. Britain retained the right, but had no need. Napoleon was defeated and that form of ‘recruitment’ was not needed. The threat to Canada was over and Britain was all set to expand its interests (empire).

The biggest losers were the native Americans who were wiped out eventually, all agreements reneged on. The US gobbled up Florida and Louisiana at France/Spain’s expense and of course expanded slavery over the next 50 years. One thing the war did do was help define the US as a nation. That process finished in 1865 with the ending of the Civil War, of course.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024