Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Promotion is so close and yet.... 18:52 - Apr 28 with 1921 viewsSteve_M

Last night was an extraordinarily good game, hyper competitive with two good sides absolutely going for it. It should have been one of the great away wins, certainly of the modern era but also in my time supporting Town; that it wasn't is both enormously frustrating and adds just a bit more stress to the next week.

That away end last night though, absolutely brilliant to the last man, woman or child. Vocal, vibrant support throughout the game, and at halftime, and a positive reaction to our mistakes - even the critical ones.

Hull was a great weekend, a fair few Town fans there on Friday night, an awful lot in Pave on Saturday afternoon, familiar faces everywhere and a really nice set of home fans happy so share a beer or chat on the way out of the ground. A brilliant away day with only the caveat that we still need four points from the next two just offsetting that slightly.

Onto Coventry in two days time. COYFB.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Promotion is so close and yet.... on 19:04 - Apr 28 with 1825 viewsITFC_Forever

A point last night wasn’t the best outcome, nor the worst…. But as we were leading with 3 mins of regular time left, and / or didn’t take one of the other numerous chances from the second half, it feels like points dropped. It was a brilliant game of football though.

Still, we know what have to do….

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Promotion is so close and yet.... on 19:12 - Apr 28 with 1775 viewshoppy

The one nagging thing that after watching such a good game, and then watching a bit of the spurs v Arsenal one today… how much of that enjoyable gripping spectacle, a great advert for the championship for the neutral particularly would/will be possible in the Premier League with all the stopping for VAR checks etc? It’s almost like I don’t want this season to stop in a way - the most enjoyable championship season I’ve seen us in, and we’ve missed them for so long - to potentially only have one before going up, feels a bit of a shame.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Promotion is so close and yet.... on 19:15 - Apr 28 with 1731 viewsFrimleyBlue

Promotion is so close and yet.... on 19:12 - Apr 28 by hoppy

The one nagging thing that after watching such a good game, and then watching a bit of the spurs v Arsenal one today… how much of that enjoyable gripping spectacle, a great advert for the championship for the neutral particularly would/will be possible in the Premier League with all the stopping for VAR checks etc? It’s almost like I don’t want this season to stop in a way - the most enjoyable championship season I’ve seen us in, and we’ve missed them for so long - to potentially only have one before going up, feels a bit of a shame.

As much as I don't like prem football for the reasons you mention. I just want to be able watch town at least one last time each week play the big sides before I pass.

We might get beaten every week. But it's the biggest prize in football.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Promotion is so close and yet.... on 19:27 - Apr 28 with 1687 viewshomer_123

I'm quite relaxed to be honest.

Wasn't overly frustrated last night. Off the 3 that was the toughest one.

Even if Davis is out...the creativity in this side will create enough chances to win both remaining games. We have Burns and Hirst back. Starsky is firing on all cylinders...Jezza looks on it as well.

Taylor turned in a decent cameo and has looked more and more the player we hoped he'd be.

We'll be fine.
[Post edited 28 Apr 19:27]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Promotion is so close and yet.... on 19:32 - Apr 28 with 1621 viewshomer_123

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. by homer_123 26 Feb 11:24
But I've been wondering if I would enjoy watching us as much in the Prem. Yes, we'll get to watch some world class players at PR again but I have this nagging, niggly feeling that it won't be anywhere near as much fun as watching us over the last couple of years under KM.

The heart and soul of the Club was slowly and surely extracted from the Club under Evans stewardship. The link to the fans became tenuous at best. The community and family that the Club once was, lost as Evans had little to no interest after a few years of ownership.

Lack of investment off the pitch contributing as much as the lack of investment in the playing side of things.

Yes, we are now owned by an American pension fund but since Ashton et al came in the Club has rapidly and effectively built back up those links to it's fanbase, to the people that have long supported and followed the Club. Add to this the work KM and the team have done on the pitch is nothing short of miraculous.

And here's the thing - my nagging feeling is the squad will change significantly when we go up - these players have delivered so much and watching them, week in and week out, improve both individually and collectively is quite a sight but I don't think this team can really compete at that top level without major changes. It's not a slight on them or me being negative, it is just what it is.

I have enjoyed, so much, watching this group of players play beyond what, I am sure, even they believed they were capable of doing. KM and team have not just developed their footballing and decision making abilities but instilled an ethic, an approach if you will, to football that is something to admire.

I fear it won't be the same as the core won't stay the same when we go up. I rather lament that thought.

I've been lucky enough to watch us under Robson, Lyall, Burley and Royle as well as others. Given where we were not just on the pitch but what had happened to us off it. This group of players and what they have done with the help of Ashton, KM and the team deserves to go down in ITFC lore.

We are simply a joy to watch as we go about our business. That trepidation, excitement and nervous energy you feel on the way to ground, for me at least, is well and truly back.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure in the Prem it will be similar but I don't think it will be the same and right now, I don't want that feeling to change.

Promotion is so close and yet.... on 19:47 - Apr 28 with 1505 viewsMK1

From a purely selfish side of things, I can't make Tuesday, so a bit of me is glad it goes to the last day. Obviously a win Tuesday makes that easier, but last night was a very entertaining game and the normal northern hospitality was a joy. A long trek, but worth every mile.
Promotion is so close and yet.... on 19:56 - Apr 28 with 1449 viewspointofblue

Promotion is so close and yet.... on 19:32 - Apr 28 by homer_123

So, I'd love to see us promoted, don't get me wrong. by homer_123 26 Feb 11:24
But I've been wondering if I would enjoy watching us as much in the Prem. Yes, we'll get to watch some world class players at PR again but I have this nagging, niggly feeling that it won't be anywhere near as much fun as watching us over the last couple of years under KM.

The heart and soul of the Club was slowly and surely extracted from the Club under Evans stewardship. The link to the fans became tenuous at best. The community and family that the Club once was, lost as Evans had little to no interest after a few years of ownership.

Lack of investment off the pitch contributing as much as the lack of investment in the playing side of things.

Yes, we are now owned by an American pension fund but since Ashton et al came in the Club has rapidly and effectively built back up those links to it's fanbase, to the people that have long supported and followed the Club. Add to this the work KM and the team have done on the pitch is nothing short of miraculous.

And here's the thing - my nagging feeling is the squad will change significantly when we go up - these players have delivered so much and watching them, week in and week out, improve both individually and collectively is quite a sight but I don't think this team can really compete at that top level without major changes. It's not a slight on them or me being negative, it is just what it is.

I have enjoyed, so much, watching this group of players play beyond what, I am sure, even they believed they were capable of doing. KM and team have not just developed their footballing and decision making abilities but instilled an ethic, an approach if you will, to football that is something to admire.

I fear it won't be the same as the core won't stay the same when we go up. I rather lament that thought.

I've been lucky enough to watch us under Robson, Lyall, Burley and Royle as well as others. Given where we were not just on the pitch but what had happened to us off it. This group of players and what they have done with the help of Ashton, KM and the team deserves to go down in ITFC lore.

We are simply a joy to watch as we go about our business. That trepidation, excitement and nervous energy you feel on the way to ground, for me at least, is well and truly back.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure in the Prem it will be similar but I don't think it will be the same and right now, I don't want that feeling to change.

You have to take the chance when you get it. We didn't in 2004/2005 and failed to be in the promotion picture for the following ten years. We didn't in 2014/2015 and were relegated four seasons later. None of the losing play off semi finalists have made the top six this year. Blackburn finished 7th in 22/23 but aren't safe from relegation heading into final day this time around.

I completely understand what you're saying, but we have to take advantage of this position we find ourselves in now for the future of the club. We could easily drop back in 2024/25, especially if the likes of McKenna and Davis move on.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Promotion is so close and yet.... on 20:01 - Apr 28 with 1410 viewsSwansea_Blue

It’s be fine. Sometime VAR is a pain, but they gave Spurs a rightful penalty today that would otherwise missed by Oliver. That’s a good thing imo even if it takes 30 seconds to sort out.

What I took from the Arsenal game is that top, top sides find a way even when they make mistakes. We’re not quite there yet in this league, but we’re not far off and it’s hard and unfair to be too critical of us given where we’ve come from, our squad, budget, etc.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Promotion is so close and yet.... on 20:11 - Apr 28 with 1350 viewsLankHenners

Think the fear/frustration/stress with last night, for me anyway, is that you can't quite escape the feeling that it could potentially sum up the season - so good for so much of it but just couldn't quite do enough to see the job through.

That the final equaliser came at a time we actually looked relatively comfortable (as opposed to the other two occasions we took the lead) and was a crap goal from our point of view (needless free kick giveaway, getting caught under the ball as it comes in, Hladky's weak attempt to push the header away) makes it sting a bit more and harder to solely focus on the positives.

Flip side is that the game was, on paper, the hardest of the 3 and we looked very very good in it. I worry people are putting too much stock in the 'Coventry are tired/depleted' narrative but we should have enough to get something there. Huddersfield no gimme either but we've put the bottom sides away at home with varying degrees of comfort this season already.

Just want to get it done now, won't be able to concentrate on anything else at all this week ffs.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Promotion is so close and yet.... on 20:18 - Apr 28 with 1268 viewsHighgateBlue

Promotion is so close and yet.... on 19:27 - Apr 28 by homer_123

I'm quite relaxed to be honest.

Wasn't overly frustrated last night. Off the 3 that was the toughest one.

Even if Davis is out...the creativity in this side will create enough chances to win both remaining games. We have Burns and Hirst back. Starsky is firing on all cylinders...Jezza looks on it as well.

Taylor turned in a decent cameo and has looked more and more the player we hoped he'd be.

We'll be fine.
[Post edited 28 Apr 19:27]

I'm going to try to have this attitude, certainly. Agree that Hull was the hardest of the 3, and agree re Taylor.

But the potential loss of Davis is worrying. We would be unspeakably lucky to go up without winning another game. And Davis creates so many chances. Great to have Burns back on the other side (see 1st goal v Hull), but who replaces Davis? Clarke on the left and Axel on the right I suppose? Not sure we have too many full back options what with the Williams debacle.

As for young Hutch, he's been so great, with such a positive attitude, and we're lucky to have him for the run-in. Now is not the time to be pessimistic or to look too far ahead, but I can't help it - he's has been so terrific, I worry that if we don't go up, we can't have as good a side next year with which to seek to go up. Hopefully that will not become an issue. COYB!
Promotion is so close and yet.... on 20:24 - Apr 28 with 1236 viewsSteve_M

Promotion is so close and yet.... on 20:11 - Apr 28 by LankHenners

Think the fear/frustration/stress with last night, for me anyway, is that you can't quite escape the feeling that it could potentially sum up the season - so good for so much of it but just couldn't quite do enough to see the job through.

That the final equaliser came at a time we actually looked relatively comfortable (as opposed to the other two occasions we took the lead) and was a crap goal from our point of view (needless free kick giveaway, getting caught under the ball as it comes in, Hladky's weak attempt to push the header away) makes it sting a bit more and harder to solely focus on the positives.

Flip side is that the game was, on paper, the hardest of the 3 and we looked very very good in it. I worry people are putting too much stock in the 'Coventry are tired/depleted' narrative but we should have enough to get something there. Huddersfield no gimme either but we've put the bottom sides away at home with varying degrees of comfort this season already.

Just want to get it done now, won't be able to concentrate on anything else at all this week ffs.

Yes, a few posts are all “This is great to have exceeded expectations” but from where we are now, finishing third will be a massive disappointment. Not disastrous like missing out on 04-05 was or last season might have been, the whole direction of the club is so much better now, but it will hurt. We need to take the chance now not hope it comes again soon.

Two games, four points. We should do it, but we just made it a bit harder again.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Promotion is so close and yet.... on 20:49 - Apr 28 with 1123 viewsIllinoisblue

Promotion is so close and yet.... on 20:11 - Apr 28 by LankHenners

Re that third equaliser, I was literally texting a mate saying “heart attack territory here, we need to keep it tight and see this out”. The next texts were a mix of words beginning with c and f. It feels like a defeat but compare to Leeds; smashed 4-0 at a relegation battler. We’re pissed we only got a point at a very decent playoff chasing team.

I am terrified and optimistic at the same time, if that’s possible.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Promotion is so close and yet.... on 21:09 - Apr 28 with 1040 viewshomer_123

Promotion is so close and yet.... on 19:56 - Apr 28 by pointofblue

You have to take the chance when you get it. We didn't in 2004/2005 and failed to be in the promotion picture for the following ten years. We didn't in 2014/2015 and were relegated four seasons later. None of the losing play off semi finalists have made the top six this year. Blackburn finished 7th in 22/23 but aren't safe from relegation heading into final day this time around.

I completely understand what you're saying, but we have to take advantage of this position we find ourselves in now for the future of the club. We could easily drop back in 2024/25, especially if the likes of McKenna and Davis move on.

I don't think I ever said we shouldn't take the chance?

Promotion is so close and yet.... on 22:04 - Apr 28 with 850 viewsLankHenners

Promotion is so close and yet.... on 20:49 - Apr 28 by Illinoisblue

Re that third equaliser, I was literally texting a mate saying “heart attack territory here, we need to keep it tight and see this out”. The next texts were a mix of words beginning with c and f. It feels like a defeat but compare to Leeds; smashed 4-0 at a relegation battler. We’re pissed we only got a point at a very decent playoff chasing team.

I am terrified and optimistic at the same time, if that’s possible.

I was messaging a few family and friends during the game and almost sent a 'that was a daft foul, hope that isn't costly' at that point but thought better of it, though clearly just thinking it sent bad vibes into the universe.

Same, I believe we can do it but just so fearful that we won't.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Promotion is so close and yet.... on 22:57 - Apr 28 with 680 viewspointofblue

Promotion is so close and yet.... on 21:09 - Apr 28 by homer_123

I don't think I ever said we shouldn't take the chance?

I apologise, I misread the meaning! I do understand what you mean in your OP though - read elsewhere some Premier League fans who watched yesterday's game enjoyed it more than the top tier matches on offer. Yes, it was the Championship at it's best, but I reckon for it's competitiveness and 'natural' approach (ie. no VAR taking five hour to come to a decision) it's the best league.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024