Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Careful what you wish for 2.0 11:39 - Apr 23 with 3520 viewssoupytwist

Jonathan Liew in today's Guardian doing his best to give us all a reality check:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2024/apr/23/for-sheffield-united-and-c

Would we be demonstrably different to the current Sheffield United if we go up?
Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 11:46 - Apr 23 with 2745 viewsSteve_M

The difference between the Sheffield United who deservedly got promoted in 2019 and the one that took second place almost by default last season is pretty stark, and the reasons for that largely come down to poor decisions made off the pitch. Luton may get relegated but they've not stunk the place out like Sheffield United have.

Liew's wider point on the financial imbalance making the Premier League more sh1t with every passing year I agree with and it would be better for everyone else if the top six or seven clubs did just feck off to their superleague with no relegation and see if the wider footballing-public give as much of a sh1t about it as a competitive national division.
[Post edited 23 Apr 13:12]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:09 - Apr 23 with 2579 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 11:46 - Apr 23 by Steve_M

The difference between the Sheffield United who deservedly got promoted in 2019 and the one that took second place almost by default last season is pretty stark, and the reasons for that largely come down to poor decisions made off the pitch. Luton may get relegated but they've not stunk the place out like Sheffield United have.

Liew's wider point on the financial imbalance making the Premier League more sh1t with every passing year I agree with and it would be better for everyone else if the top six or seven clubs did just feck off to their superleague with no relegation and see if the wider footballing-public give as much of a sh1t about it as a competitive national division.
[Post edited 23 Apr 13:12]

I don’t disagree with your sentiments about the Super League but in the immediate short term there would be a financial meltdown as TV deals become dramatically reduced. It would affect us because without the huge PL deals I doubt our owners would have much appetite for keeping the club.

Poll: Our final position

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:16 - Apr 23 with 2507 viewsgiant_stow

He's bang on about this being the good bit.

Yeah yeah, I know Norwich are rubbish / always go down etc... but he's still right.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:19 - Apr 23 with 2465 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

It doesnt matter.

Sheff Utd will be strong and winning matches again next season.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:20 - Apr 23 with 2461 views_clive_baker_

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:16 - Apr 23 by giant_stow

Yeah yeah, I know Norwich are rubbish / always go down etc... but he's still right.

Wonder if Brighton fans would agree with that, or Brentford. They might, I'm not saying you're outright wrong, the PL is grotesque in many respects, but naturally it tends to be the fodder at the bottom who most vocally oppose it. I dare say Rotherham fans aren't having the best of times this season either.
Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:21 - Apr 23 with 2438 viewsITFC_Forever

To be fair, Chris Sutton has an opinion on us already…

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:22 - Apr 23 with 2412 viewsgiant_stow

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:20 - Apr 23 by _clive_baker_

Wonder if Brighton fans would agree with that, or Brentford. They might, I'm not saying you're outright wrong, the PL is grotesque in many respects, but naturally it tends to be the fodder at the bottom who most vocally oppose it. I dare say Rotherham fans aren't having the best of times this season either.

Brighton are the outlier - fair enough. Think Brentford will most likely go down next season though - such teams always do sooner or later - don't forget that in our Grant Holt days we stayed up 3 seasons.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:24 - Apr 23 with 2378 viewstractorboy1978

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:20 - Apr 23 by _clive_baker_

Can add Wolves, Fulham and Bournemouth to that list too. If you get your recruitment right, have a decent manager and are a well run club then you have every chance.
Login to get fewer ads

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:26 - Apr 23 with 2354 viewshype313

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:22 - Apr 23 by giant_stow

Brighton are the outlier - fair enough. Think Brentford will most likely go down next season though - such teams always do sooner or later - don't forget that in our Grant Holt days we stayed up 3 seasons.

I think Brentford will tank next season, can't see Frank being there or Toney.

Everton, unless they get new ownership will finally circle the drain, not convinced by Bournemouth and if Leicester do go up then they will face an immediate penalty.

This is definitely the year to go up.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:27 - Apr 23 with 2324 views_clive_baker_

I wouldn't be surprised if next season there's a couple of clubs starting on minus numbers, so Brentford might benefit a lot from just being a pretty well run club.

I reckon West Ham will be a flop next season post Moyes. BCWYWF.

And how did Grant Holt get through the swear filter?
Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:29 - Apr 23 with 2292 viewsElderGrizzly

Agree completely.

1st year up will feel like a holiday you've looked forward to for years, but they forgot to tell you they hadn't finished building the hotel, nothing works but they'll pay you some nice compensation for the trouble.

It will be great to test ourselves against bigger teams each week, but it will see this team we love broken up and the club changed for the foreseeable and probably much more short-term in it's decision making to try and keep the PL money flowing.

Some good, some bad, but we'd like to find out ourselves...
Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:30 - Apr 23 with 2271 viewsElderGrizzly

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:24 - Apr 23 by tractorboy1978

Can add Wolves, Fulham and Bournemouth to that list too. If you get your recruitment right, have a decent manager and are a well run club then you have every chance.

It depends what "every chance" means.

Every chance of staying up? That becomes the reality for 12 of the 20 each season and we will be in that group.
Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:32 - Apr 23 with 2243 viewsgiant_stow

alright, there are others! But they're only ever a small cluster fck-ups away from going down.

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:34 - Apr 23 with 2203 viewsLankHenners

There are obviously bad bits to being in the PL from a fans' perspective - VAR, KO times being shunted about all over the place, the general increase in stupidity and tedium of 'the discourse' etc. but the season before this one every promoted team stayed up so think it's a bit knee-jerk to say a promoted team is guaranteed a torrid time.

Obviously it will be much harder but there are teams in there (mentioned in this thread) that have shown that if you're smart enough you can do more than act as a punching bag for everyone else.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:36 - Apr 23 with 2167 viewsjayessess

Well, the main difference would be that our manager is Kieran McKenna and there's was Paul Heckingbottom.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:48 - Apr 23 with 2061 viewsIllinoisblue

Every chance of being midtable fodder with an occasional cup run to keep happy. Don’t get me wrong they’re doing well in the system as it is, and maybe that’s what success/glory is now - being a couple wins better than the bottom six

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:59 - Apr 23 with 1982 viewsElderGrizzly

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:48 - Apr 23 by Illinoisblue

Every chance of being midtable fodder with an occasional cup run to keep happy. Don’t get me wrong they’re doing well in the system as it is, and maybe that’s what success/glory is now - being a couple wins better than the bottom six

I think that's what my longer comment above was aimed at too.

We won't win anything up in the PL in terms of trophies. We might get a run in a cup, but will probably sacrifice that for PL status so rest people.

And we'll lose more than we win almost every season.

The club will progress significantly, but I don't think it will be quite as enjoyable as a regular fan
Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 13:00 - Apr 23 with 1959 viewsIllinoisblue

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:27 - Apr 23 by _clive_baker_

I wouldn't be surprised if next season there's a couple of clubs starting on minus numbers, so Brentford might benefit a lot from just being a pretty well run club.

I reckon West Ham will be a flop next season post Moyes. BCWYWF.

And how did Grant Holt get through the swear filter?

Hopefully the cheats of Leicester will be on at least -10 if they’re up and have an endlessly miserable season.

62 - 78 - 81

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 13:03 - Apr 23 with 1923 viewsIllinoisblue

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:59 - Apr 23 by ElderGrizzly

I think that's what my longer comment above was aimed at too.

We won't win anything up in the PL in terms of trophies. We might get a run in a cup, but will probably sacrifice that for PL status so rest people.

And we'll lose more than we win almost every season.

The club will progress significantly, but I don't think it will be quite as enjoyable as a regular fan

Exactly. Although of course the pension fund and the private equity folks very much want us to have as boring an existence as Crystal Palace have and keep that TV money rolling in.

62 - 78 - 81

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 13:03 - Apr 23 with 1907 views_clive_baker_

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:34 - Apr 23 by LankHenners

There are obviously bad bits to being in the PL from a fans' perspective - VAR, KO times being shunted about all over the place, the general increase in stupidity and tedium of 'the discourse' etc. but the season before this one every promoted team stayed up so think it's a bit knee-jerk to say a promoted team is guaranteed a torrid time.

Obviously it will be much harder but there are teams in there (mentioned in this thread) that have shown that if you're smart enough you can do more than act as a punching bag for everyone else.

I think it is true that the gap between the have's and have not's is growing every year, and that's what erodes the competitiveness of it all. It's effectively 2 or 3 leagues in 1. Heck, people used to talk of the magic '40 points' to stay up in the late 90's, and that was pretty standard. That's very much 35 nowadays and I'd be surprised if its even 30 this year.
Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 13:07 - Apr 23 with 1841 viewsElderGrizzly

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 13:03 - Apr 23 by Illinoisblue

Exactly. Although of course the pension fund and the private equity folks very much want us to have as boring an existence as Crystal Palace have and keep that TV money rolling in.

Yes, we're not being promoted to expect to 'compete' but to make short(ish)-term decisions to maximise that return each year.

The old adage of 17th is a great finish would very much be welcomed by those who stand to make a lot of money off us.
Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 13:10 - Apr 23 with 1810 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Sheffield Utd were heavy indebted, to the point where they faced issues without promotion. They lost £32m in their last season in the Championship:

https://theathletic.com/5355767/2024/03/20/sheffield-united-accounts-2022-23/

So I don’t feel it’s a fair comparison given the huge amount of capital behind us. Whilst we will be constrained until we grow our revenue, we will I’m sure invest a decent amount in the playing squad (whereas Sheff Utd obviously had a heavy debt to service in addition).
Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 13:13 - Apr 23 with 1775 viewsSteve_M

That first time under Lambert though, staying up must have been pretty good then.

Obviously, you've reverted to merely participating since but....

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 13:14 - Apr 23 with 1761 viewsGuthrum

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 12:48 - Apr 23 by Illinoisblue

But then you get teams who use that as a base for building further. It may take quite a few years and not necessarily end up at the very top like Leicester. But it wasn't so long ago we were playing West Ham and Villa in the Championship, clubs who are now hunting European football.

There are tales of success as well as woe. But perhaps it takes time and incremental improvement, rather than too much change provoked by overambition or desperation.
[Post edited 23 Apr 13:15]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Careful what you wish for 2.0 on 13:17 - Apr 23 with 1703 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Your team may have stayed up for 3 years but diver Holt had trouble staying up for 3 minutes.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024