Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? 13:00 - Apr 22 with 1150 viewshoppy

With the possibility of promotion to the Premier League quite real.. just struck me that's something we'd encounter next season, but have hardly seen anyone really talk about it, so wondered if there were any issues anyone had any thoughts on.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 13:10 - Apr 22 with 1044 viewsIllinoisblue

VAR needs to check Frank Worthington’s wonder goal for Bolton against us back in 1979. As can be clearly seen in this video from 11 secs, the REFEREE IS CLAPPING THE GOAL. How much more biased can he be?

I suggest Barry Knight is brought out of retirement to take a look.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 13:12 - Apr 22 with 1032 viewsSwansea_Blue

I was thinking it was about time we had another thread on it. It must be, what, all of several minutes since the last one

It's all a conspiracy innit. VAR's rubbish when you don't get the result you want. Although there have been a few spectacular cockups lately which show there's definitely room for improvement in the process and people who run it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 13:14 - Apr 22 with 1012 viewstonybied

What's VAR?
Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 13:17 - Apr 22 with 1000 viewshoppy

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 13:12 - Apr 22 by Swansea_Blue

I was thinking it was about time we had another thread on it. It must be, what, all of several minutes since the last one

It's all a conspiracy innit. VAR's rubbish when you don't get the result you want. Although there have been a few spectacular cockups lately which show there's definitely room for improvement in the process and people who run it.

Has there? I must've missed that... You'd have thought someone would've said something about it.

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 13:36 - Apr 22 with 948 viewshomer_123

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 13:12 - Apr 22 by Swansea_Blue

I said, before it came in, it will ruin football. It has.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 13:47 - Apr 22 with 920 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 13:17 - Apr 22 by hoppy

Has there? I must've missed that... You'd have thought someone would've said something about it.

I know. People should speak up or they'll never get noticed.

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 13:49 - Apr 22 with 910 viewsGeoffSentence

With VAR in the Championship, we'd be celebrating promotion already.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 15:04 - Apr 22 with 848 viewsDeano69

Its trying to fix a problem that doesnt exist. Scrap it. Its taking much of the joy out of professional football at the highest level.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 15:57 - Apr 22 with 786 viewsChorleyBoy

Foul throw in the lead up to the goal. Toenails over the line.
Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 16:32 - Apr 22 with 733 viewsTootingTown

I had my first 'in stadium' experience on VAR yesterday. As I was lucky enough to be in the Coventry end at Wembley.
It was utterly depressing to have that moment taken away at 4-3. There was a fella in front in tears, thinking he had seen his team into an FA Cup Final, only for it to be taken away by a toe nail. About 5 minutes later.
I'm still not sure we have the technology available to make such marginal offside calls either, how can they draw a line on a zoomed in blurry image and know that's the precise end of a players toe?

Another problem is decisions in football are very rarely black and white. Handballs and fouls will always have a form of personal opinion to them. By adding VAR you're essentially adding another persons opinion into the mix, rarely providing much clarity to the situation.
Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 16:46 - Apr 22 with 710 viewsNorthLondonBlue2

VAR is awful and is ruining football. I watched an Arsenal game where it took several minutes to confirm the goal and it completely killed the moment. Not that I cared too much, mind, but the glory of a goal being scored is the instant euphoria - it’s what got me hooked on Town 40 years ago.

Yes, injustice can be really frustrating but if the price of hyper-correct decisions is ruining the key and best aspect of live football for everyone, then no thanks.
Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 17:03 - Apr 22 with 671 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 16:46 - Apr 22 by NorthLondonBlue2

VAR is awful and is ruining football. I watched an Arsenal game where it took several minutes to confirm the goal and it completely killed the moment. Not that I cared too much, mind, but the glory of a goal being scored is the instant euphoria - it’s what got me hooked on Town 40 years ago.

Yes, injustice can be really frustrating but if the price of hyper-correct decisions is ruining the key and best aspect of live football for everyone, then no thanks.

I think they've got it right with the 'clear and obvious' line. It's got to be a plus to have obvious errors overturned. As you say though, the hyper-correct (or possibly unrealistically precise) way it's being used is making it become a farce.

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 17:06 - Apr 22 with 664 viewsKeno

If only it had been available in 1975

I might not have suffered from years of trauma and actually been normal

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 17:09 - Apr 22 with 634 viewshoppy

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 17:06 - Apr 22 by Keno

Are you saying that you were a clear and obvious error, and could've been sorted out with VAR?

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 17:13 - Apr 22 with 616 viewsKeno

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 17:09 - Apr 22 by hoppy

Are you saying that you were a clear and obvious error, and could've been sorted out with VAR?

No

There were two clear and obvious errors, and could've been sorted out with VAR?

or at the very least competent efficient referee rather than that blind ******** welsh ***** Clive ******** ****** ***** **** **** Thomas **** ********* ******* *******

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 17:26 - Apr 22 with 594 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

As a measure of risk of loss, I'm with Nassim Taleb when he said that VAR

Ignored 2,500 years of experience in favour of untested models built by non-traders
Was charlatanism because it claimed to estimate the risks of rare events, which is impossible
Gave false confidence
Would be exploited by traders

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 17:42 - Apr 22 with 561 viewsNthQldITFC

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 17:06 - Apr 22 by Keno

Steady on!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 17:48 - Apr 22 with 547 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 17:26 - Apr 22 by You_Bloo_Right

As a measure of risk of loss, I'm with Nassim Taleb when he said that VAR

Ignored 2,500 years of experience in favour of untested models built by non-traders
Was charlatanism because it claimed to estimate the risks of rare events, which is impossible
Gave false confidence
Would be exploited by traders

I'm sure 90% of climate emissions are from me googling random stuff that pops up on this site

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 17:51 - Apr 22 with 533 viewsKeno

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 17:42 - Apr 22 by NthQldITFC

Steady on!

well as normal as the next TWTD poster

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 17:52 - Apr 22 with 533 viewsSoCalTownFan

VAR always seems to dig the big teams out of a hole at the last second. These clearly bent,m referees used to have to tack on unexplainable minutes of injury time, aka "fergietime", now they have VAR at their disposal to provide the necessary service to their corporate paymasters.

The Coventry decision, seems to be a justification for reaching out to counsel if a legal route is available ( i doubt it is or someone else would have done it before)
Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 18:21 - Apr 22 with 490 viewsMK1

It was meant to be for Clear and Obvious mistakes. They are using it if you take a slightly bigger boot size than the defender. I agree it should be available, just used in the correct manner.
[Post edited 22 Apr 18:32]
Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 18:57 - Apr 22 with 447 viewsSoCalTownFan

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 18:21 - Apr 22 by MK1

It was meant to be for Clear and Obvious mistakes. They are using it if you take a slightly bigger boot size than the defender. I agree it should be available, just used in the correct manner.
[Post edited 22 Apr 18:32]

"They are using it if you take a slightly bigger boot size" than the defender IF you are a big club with all the money, all the power and influence who will get the big TV audiences if the FA cup final is a Manchester Derby.

If it had been a Man U goal denying Coventry then the referees line would be "we only use VAR for clear and obvious errors".

Refs are corrupt and do what is in the interest of the money men, whenever they can get away with it
Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 19:06 - Apr 22 with 419 viewshoppy

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 17:51 - Apr 22 by Keno

well as normal as the next TWTD poster

Rather depends who the next one is...

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 19:09 - Apr 22 with 400 viewsMK1

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 18:57 - Apr 22 by SoCalTownFan

"They are using it if you take a slightly bigger boot size" than the defender IF you are a big club with all the money, all the power and influence who will get the big TV audiences if the FA cup final is a Manchester Derby.

If it had been a Man U goal denying Coventry then the referees line would be "we only use VAR for clear and obvious errors".

Refs are corrupt and do what is in the interest of the money men, whenever they can get away with it

No they are not. That is a very hot take on that decision.
Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 19:09 - Apr 22 with 395 viewsKeno

Anyone got any thoughts on VAR? on 19:06 - Apr 22 by hoppy

Rather depends who the next one is...

it wont be Sitters, but might be someone near him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024