Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP FA Cup Replays 19:19 - Apr 18 with 2118 viewsGeoffSentence

No more FA Cup replays from the 1st round onwards.

Whilst I am not sure whether thats a good thing or not, the fact the decision was made by the FA and Premier league without reference to EFL clubs is shoddy.

Tranmere have registered their distaste

https://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/news/2024/april/club-statement-fa-cup-replays/

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

RIP FA Cup Replays on 19:22 - Apr 18 with 1689 viewsgainsboroughblue

I remember the heady days of replays, 2nd replays and 3rd replays.

A line needs to be drawn somewhere obviously but part of that romance of the cup was holding a big team to a draw to earn a lucrative replay at Old Trafford or somewhere.

The three UEFA comps will see teams playing an extra couple of group games before the knockout stages. Coincidence?

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

RIP FA Cup Replays on 19:44 - Apr 18 with 1635 viewsFrimleyBlue

I'd understand and probably agree they aren't really needed from round 5 onwards. But non league clubs can win a lot of money from them or eve. Lower league sides..

It's wrong.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

RIP FA Cup Replays on 19:58 - Apr 18 with 1610 viewsnorfsufblue

One of our most iconic goals was scored in a 3rd replay at Filbert St...
RIP indeed
RIP FA Cup Replays on 20:11 - Apr 18 with 1578 viewsChurchman

I’m not sure it matters any more. The FA Cup in terms of importance has been destroyed.

It was once as important as winning the league. Not now. Its ‘traditions’ have been chucked in the bin one by one along with its magic.

What next? How about the big six clubs being given a bye until the 6th round to save their precious darling players’ legs? It would still leave two spaces for the rubbish. Oh, and all proceeds from every game to go to the top clubs to help them compete in Europe?

Cynical? Yep. But saddened that something that was special has been destroyed by greed.
RIP FA Cup Replays on 20:16 - Apr 18 with 1554 viewsyorkshireblue

762 teams entered the FA Cup this season, and 742 of them were not consulted about this chnage,
RIP FA Cup Replays on 20:17 - Apr 18 with 1548 viewsSE1blue

RIP FA Cup Replays on 19:22 - Apr 18 by gainsboroughblue

I remember the heady days of replays, 2nd replays and 3rd replays.

A line needs to be drawn somewhere obviously but part of that romance of the cup was holding a big team to a draw to earn a lucrative replay at Old Trafford or somewhere.

The three UEFA comps will see teams playing an extra couple of group games before the knockout stages. Coincidence?

Seems a bit of a joke to me.

The Premiership clubs don't enter until the 3rd round, so the number of potential replays for them is the smallest amount possible and their league has the fewest games. They also have the deepest squads available to choose from and if they actually put out their strongest squads, they'd probably avoid a lot of replays.

Replays aren't killing the FA Cup, the increasing disinterest from the big clubs is, plus having the semi finals at Wembley, lessens the feel of the overall final.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

RIP FA Cup Replays on 20:17 - Apr 18 with 1552 viewshomer_123

RIP FA Cup Replays on 20:16 - Apr 18 by yorkshireblue

762 teams entered the FA Cup this season, and 742 of them were not consulted about this chnage,

It's for the benefit of grassroots football.

Grassroots football need not be consulted on what it might think benefits them.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

RIP FA Cup Replays on 20:38 - Apr 18 with 1506 viewsjontysnut

RIP FA Cup Replays on 20:16 - Apr 18 by yorkshireblue

They will be saying they should be seeded and get a home draw next. My first away game on my own was the 3rd replay v Leeds at Filbert Street on a coach from the Loco Club. That's what the cup is, not endless City v Chelsea finals.
Login to get fewer ads

RIP FA Cup Replays on 20:49 - Apr 18 with 1482 viewsTrequartista

Absolutely disgraceful.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

RIP FA Cup Replays on 20:50 - Apr 18 with 1480 viewsFtnfwest

PL clubs have far too many games already, unless it’s club World Cup games. This is obviously meant to assist top 6 sides but lower 10 or 12 clubs in the prem is fast becoming a graveyard. Might only have 40 games in a season.
RIP FA Cup Replays on 20:58 - Apr 18 with 1428 viewshomer_123

RIP FA Cup Replays on 20:50 - Apr 18 by Ftnfwest

PL clubs have far too many games already, unless it’s club World Cup games. This is obviously meant to assist top 6 sides but lower 10 or 12 clubs in the prem is fast becoming a graveyard. Might only have 40 games in a season.

Honestly, there is actually way way too much football already.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

RIP FA Cup Replays on 21:27 - Apr 18 with 1362 viewsyorkshireblue

RIP FA Cup Replays on 22:00 - Apr 18 with 1270 viewsstonojnr

RIP FA Cup Replays on 20:38 - Apr 18 by jontysnut

They will be saying they should be seeded and get a home draw next. My first away game on my own was the 3rd replay v Leeds at Filbert Street on a coach from the Loco Club. That's what the cup is, not endless City v Chelsea finals.

and Id say the power then sits with the 742 clubs who werent consulted, if they all refuse to take part, the FA no longer has a competition it can hawk to the highest bidder
RIP FA Cup Replays on 06:54 - Apr 19 with 1062 viewsTractorWood

Are they repurposing earlier round prize money or addressing the small club impact?

Giving Man United or Man City £3m every year and starving your Mildenhall towns etc feels pretty mean spirited.

As others have said, feels like the FA cup has irrecoverably lost its way.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

RIP FA Cup Replays on 07:23 - Apr 19 with 1038 viewsVaughan8

Yes it does seem weird to consult the Premier league when they only.come into it in round 3.

It's all money orientated unfortunately. For years, the only.way teams would take the cup seriously is to give it a champions league place......however the PL would never do that.....!
RIP FA Cup Replays on 07:24 - Apr 19 with 1040 viewsBlueBoots

RIP FA Cup Replays on 21:27 - Apr 18 by yorkshireblue

Codheads have nailed it with that statement...the FA and EPL have removed one of the last remaining elements of the FA Cup that made it special; if a lower league club manages a home draw against a Prem side, they deserve another shot, the chance to give their fans a memorable day out, and the financial rewards of gate / TV money from the away match. If they manage an away draw, they've earned the right to give a Prem team the full lower league atmosphere / pitch etc. experience (as well as the financial benefits that go with it)

The fact the decision was made between the FA and EPL alone, and to give a handout of £33m (peanuts to both those organisations) to grassroots football as a pathetic attempt to compensate for the change just highlights the low regard they have for the EFL and Non-League.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

RIP FA Cup Replays on 08:00 - Apr 19 with 1005 viewsyorkshireblue

RIP FA Cup Replays on 08:03 - Apr 19 with 998 viewsWhos_blue

RIP FA Cup Replays on 07:24 - Apr 19 by BlueBoots

Codheads have nailed it with that statement...the FA and EPL have removed one of the last remaining elements of the FA Cup that made it special; if a lower league club manages a home draw against a Prem side, they deserve another shot, the chance to give their fans a memorable day out, and the financial rewards of gate / TV money from the away match. If they manage an away draw, they've earned the right to give a Prem team the full lower league atmosphere / pitch etc. experience (as well as the financial benefits that go with it)

The fact the decision was made between the FA and EPL alone, and to give a handout of £33m (peanuts to both those organisations) to grassroots football as a pathetic attempt to compensate for the change just highlights the low regard they have for the EFL and Non-League.

Spot on and add to this the move of the final to the penultimate weekend rather than the showpiece season closing game.
I accept the cup has lost it's lustre a little, but the early rounds are where the magic is.
The fact this has only been decided by the FA and EPL is just more evidence (if we needed it) that football in this country is all about supporting the so called elite.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

RIP FA Cup Replays on 08:09 - Apr 19 with 984 viewstcblue

The 'breakaway' is inevitable and I'll not be sad when it comes.
RIP FA Cup Replays on 08:21 - Apr 19 with 945 viewsElephantintheRoom

Thé FA Cup became redundant decades when clubs started playing reserves and rejects and tried to lose asap. That includes clubs in every division - and Town have been standard bearers in devaluing a once great but now farcical competition

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

RIP FA Cup Replays on 08:34 - Apr 19 with 932 viewsEuropablue

RIP FA Cup Replays on 20:58 - Apr 18 by homer_123

Honestly, there is actually way way too much football already.

There is way too much football, but the obvious places to cut would be the Champions League and pre season tours of America and Asia!
RIP FA Cup Replays on 08:37 - Apr 19 with 913 viewsyorkshireblue

RIP FA Cup Replays on 08:34 - Apr 19 by Europablue

There is way too much football, but the obvious places to cut would be the Champions League and pre season tours of America and Asia!

Not just pre-season....

Spurs and Newcastle are playing a 'post-season' friendly in Australia three days after the Premier League season ends.
RIP FA Cup Replays on 08:38 - Apr 19 with 907 viewsredrickstuhaart

Disgreaceful.
RIP FA Cup Replays on 08:40 - Apr 19 with 882 viewsGeoffSentence

RIP FA Cup Replays on 21:27 - Apr 18 by yorkshireblue

I haven't seen any championship clubs objecting to the way the decision was made yet. I wonder if that is because they all have one eye on the premier league anyway and don't want to upset the big boys.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

RIP FA Cup Replays on 09:05 - Apr 19 with 838 viewsLeaky

I think its disgusting that this decision was taken by just the FA &EPL. The EFL & representatives from non league & fan groups should have had an input. Time for fans to stand up to how football is run. Fan power worked when the European Super league was proposed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024