Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Iran just launched an attack on Israel 21:23 - Apr 13 with 5530 viewsElderGrizzly

Of course WW3 would happen just as we are about to get promoted

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 09:05 - Apr 14 with 1239 viewsMJallday

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 08:38 - Apr 14 by ArmaghBlue

They are reporting that 99% of the drones and missiles were intercepted over night. Which is good news.

200 missiles and 120 drones, and all they’ve done is give a 7 year old a slight limp

I mean it’s great news, (unless you’re that 7 year old then you’re probably a bit peeved) but if I was in charge of missiles I’d be wanting my money back

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13306373/israel-iran-missile-drone-atta

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 09:16 - Apr 14 with 1209 viewsWeWereZombies

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 09:02 - Apr 14 by MJallday

Missiles that take a few hours?

Are they being delivered by Evri?

It can take a while to assimilate how long the distance is between Iran and Israel is. And how far the expected range of those missiles is:

https://www.iranwatch.org/our-publications/weapon-program-background-report/tabl

I saw a map last night (but can't remember where unfortunately) which had circles out from Tehran showing how far the reach is, just about all of Ukraine for the longest - which is sobering for someone about to visit an old friend in North East Hungary the week after next, just a few kilometres from the Ukraine border...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 09:25 - Apr 14 with 1183 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 09:05 - Apr 14 by MJallday

200 missiles and 120 drones, and all they’ve done is give a 7 year old a slight limp

I mean it’s great news, (unless you’re that 7 year old then you’re probably a bit peeved) but if I was in charge of missiles I’d be wanting my money back

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13306373/israel-iran-missile-drone-atta

This is exactly what the Iron Dome exists for. Hezbollah pound Israel with heavy artillery and guided missiles from Lebanon even in ‘peace times’. Back in the first Gulf War the Iraqi’s fired SCUD missiles at Israeli cities in order to provoke a wider regional war. Recent assassination aside, Iran openly wants to ‘wipe Israel from the map’.

Israel have been shooting down projectiles from hostile states and their proxies for years, Iran’s only hope was to try and overwhelm the defences with sheer numbers. Many of these had to fly over Western navies and airforces who are in the region (including those defending civilian shipping from Iran’s proxies in the gulf of Aden and Red Sea. I doubt Iran expected much success, rather it was a ‘show of strength’. Many of the drones are crude suicide drones which are slow, one-use UAV’s. One of the reasons Iran have been able to proliferate attack drones across the Middle East is they are simple and cheap (much cheaper than the missiles used to shoot them down).
Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 09:26 - Apr 14 with 1181 viewsWeWereZombies

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 09:05 - Apr 14 by MJallday

They have just had someone from the Israeli Defence Force on 'Broadcasting House' saying that the seven year old is critically ill and in hospital fighting for her life. I guess the moral of this tale is 'don't rely on The Daily Mail' (I haven't clicked on the link by the way...)

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 09:31 - Apr 14 with 1161 viewsMJallday

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 09:16 - Apr 14 by WeWereZombies

It can take a while to assimilate how long the distance is between Iran and Israel is. And how far the expected range of those missiles is:

https://www.iranwatch.org/our-publications/weapon-program-background-report/tabl

I saw a map last night (but can't remember where unfortunately) which had circles out from Tehran showing how far the reach is, just about all of Ukraine for the longest - which is sobering for someone about to visit an old friend in North East Hungary the week after next, just a few kilometres from the Ukraine border...

I actually looked it up. My Knowledge of geography in that area is pppr

I thought it was relatively all next to eachother , to
Put it into context, it would be like someone in Ipswich attacking someone the other side of Prague
- that’s how far it is

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 09:32 - Apr 14 with 1157 viewsStokieBlue

Not all missiles are equal.

Cruise missiles fly at subsonic speeds and "cruise" to their targets whilst flying very low and manoeuvring.

Ballistic missiles follow a ballistic trajectory into low orbit and then back down and move at a much faster speed - these take 15 minutes at most from Iran to Israel.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 09:36 - Apr 14 with 1147 viewsPhilTWTD

If they were being delivered by Evri I think there's a danger of Iceland being drawn into this.
Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 09:41 - Apr 14 with 1135 viewsbournemouthblue

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 08:28 - Apr 14 by GlasgowBlue

The attack in Damascus was not on the Iranian embassy itself but an annex building adjacent to the embassy which was the Syrian headquarters of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps, an Iranian military military wing that has been designated as a terrorist organisation by by Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Sweden and the United States.

The New York Times reported that an anonymous source from the Revolutionary Guards said that the strike targeted a meeting between Iranian intelligence officials and Palestinian terrorists, including leaders of Palestinian Islamic Jihad and Hezbollah, both Islamic terrorist organisations who have been responsible for decades of terrorist attacks against Israel.

You may remember that it was Palestinian Islamic Jihad who launched the missile that hit the al-Ahli Baptist Hospital, which some posters on here were over eager to swallow the Hamas propaganda that Israel had struck the hospital, killing 500 people, and even after Israel was exonerated continued to leave his post up. Another poster was banned for saying that the truth didn’t latter. But I digress.

Those killed were not innocent Iranian citizens but senior figures in the IRGC, including Brigadier General Mohammad Reza Zahedi, a senior commander in the IRGC's foreign operations unit who was responsible for liaising with Islamic terrorist group Hezbollah, and his deputy General Mohammad Hadi Hajriahim. Five other IRGC officers were killed in the airstrike, as were five Iranian-affiliated militiamen, one Hezbollah terrorist, one Iranian military advisor, and sadly two civilians of whom I haven’t read any details on. Zahedi was the most senior IRGC officer to be killed since the assassination of Qasem Soleimani by the U.S. in January 2020, and was somebody who was responsible for funding and assisting some of the worst terrorist atrocities seen in the Middle East.

It is correct to say that diplomatic premises are considered "civilian objects" under international law, and they are not permissible as targets unless they are used for a military purpose. Be in no doubt, the Israeli airstrike was aimed at military figures in a military facility and the targets were directly involved in orchestrating attacks on Israel. The fact that the building was adjacent to the Iranian embassy does not change its military character.

Iran has been orchestrating a constant assault on Israel for decades via its proxies in the region including Hezbollah, which is wholly funded, armed, and controlled by the Iranian regime. Since October 7 Hezbollah has fired rockets and missiles into northern Israel on a near-daily basis leading to tens of thousands of Israelis having being displaced from their homes. We don’t read much about that. The Houthis, another Iranian proxy group based in Yemen, have also fired numerous missiles at southern Israel. Asda SuperKeiranMcKenna has pointed out in other threads, the a Houthi’s are responsible for firing missiles that have killed civilian shipping crew and forced thousands of Yemeni children into starvation. And finally Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad have been funded, armed, and trained by Iran for years and carried out the brutal murders, rapes, decapitation and mutilation of over 1000 innocent Israeli civilians on October 7th of last year. There has not been a single day in the past six months in which Iran, via its various proxies in the region, has not attacked Israel.

The airstrike in Damascus targeted individuals directly responsible for Iran's ongoing assault on Israel. It was not an attack on a diplomatic embassy or mission. It was the command center of an active terrorist group, planning and executing immediate attacks against a neighbouring state. and was entirely justified. That anyone could give any excuse of justification to Iran beggars belief.

Edit. You say you come into this debate as somebody who is after a genuine conversation. In that case, seeing as I took the time and trouble to reply to your post, perhaps you would do me the courtesy of replying to this question I posed to you on January 14, which remains unanswered:

100 days since 7/10 by GlasgowBlue 15 Jan 16:53
What an odd post. Where have I said that anyone disagreeing with me is antisemitic? The only time I have ever accused anyone n here of being antisemitic is when they have actually posted something antisemitic.

Being appalled at Israel's "indiscriminate and disproportionate" doesn't make somebody antisemitic. I've never seem a single person on here being accused of being antisemitic for putting that point f view over. It's a view I've poste myself several times. Even on this thread.

Why did you even bring the subject of antisemitism into the thread? Please link a single thread where somebody has been accused of being antisemitic for simply disagreeing with my point of view. Either put up or shut up.

[Post edited 14 Apr 8:32]

There's no doubt the attack from Hamas in October was designed to escalate a wider conflict. They must have known how fiercely Israel would react.

Israel have aided and abetted that and played into Iran's hands, which was almost certainly part of the strategy behind the original attack.

A widening conflict is exactly what we don't need with the war in Ukraine on going. All we need now is for China to invade Taiwan and we will be fairly close to World War 3.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Login to get fewer ads

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 10:08 - Apr 14 with 1095 viewsmutters

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 08:28 - Apr 14 by GlasgowBlue

The attack in Damascus was not on the Iranian embassy itself but an annex building adjacent to the embassy which was the Syrian headquarters of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps, an Iranian military military wing that has been designated as a terrorist organisation by by Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Sweden and the United States.

The New York Times reported that an anonymous source from the Revolutionary Guards said that the strike targeted a meeting between Iranian intelligence officials and Palestinian terrorists, including leaders of Palestinian Islamic Jihad and Hezbollah, both Islamic terrorist organisations who have been responsible for decades of terrorist attacks against Israel.

You may remember that it was Palestinian Islamic Jihad who launched the missile that hit the al-Ahli Baptist Hospital, which some posters on here were over eager to swallow the Hamas propaganda that Israel had struck the hospital, killing 500 people, and even after Israel was exonerated continued to leave his post up. Another poster was banned for saying that the truth didn’t latter. But I digress.

Those killed were not innocent Iranian citizens but senior figures in the IRGC, including Brigadier General Mohammad Reza Zahedi, a senior commander in the IRGC's foreign operations unit who was responsible for liaising with Islamic terrorist group Hezbollah, and his deputy General Mohammad Hadi Hajriahim. Five other IRGC officers were killed in the airstrike, as were five Iranian-affiliated militiamen, one Hezbollah terrorist, one Iranian military advisor, and sadly two civilians of whom I haven’t read any details on. Zahedi was the most senior IRGC officer to be killed since the assassination of Qasem Soleimani by the U.S. in January 2020, and was somebody who was responsible for funding and assisting some of the worst terrorist atrocities seen in the Middle East.

It is correct to say that diplomatic premises are considered "civilian objects" under international law, and they are not permissible as targets unless they are used for a military purpose. Be in no doubt, the Israeli airstrike was aimed at military figures in a military facility and the targets were directly involved in orchestrating attacks on Israel. The fact that the building was adjacent to the Iranian embassy does not change its military character.

Iran has been orchestrating a constant assault on Israel for decades via its proxies in the region including Hezbollah, which is wholly funded, armed, and controlled by the Iranian regime. Since October 7 Hezbollah has fired rockets and missiles into northern Israel on a near-daily basis leading to tens of thousands of Israelis having being displaced from their homes. We don’t read much about that. The Houthis, another Iranian proxy group based in Yemen, have also fired numerous missiles at southern Israel. Asda SuperKeiranMcKenna has pointed out in other threads, the a Houthi’s are responsible for firing missiles that have killed civilian shipping crew and forced thousands of Yemeni children into starvation. And finally Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad have been funded, armed, and trained by Iran for years and carried out the brutal murders, rapes, decapitation and mutilation of over 1000 innocent Israeli civilians on October 7th of last year. There has not been a single day in the past six months in which Iran, via its various proxies in the region, has not attacked Israel.

The airstrike in Damascus targeted individuals directly responsible for Iran's ongoing assault on Israel. It was not an attack on a diplomatic embassy or mission. It was the command center of an active terrorist group, planning and executing immediate attacks against a neighbouring state. and was entirely justified. That anyone could give any excuse of justification to Iran beggars belief.

Edit. You say you come into this debate as somebody who is after a genuine conversation. In that case, seeing as I took the time and trouble to reply to your post, perhaps you would do me the courtesy of replying to this question I posed to you on January 14, which remains unanswered:

100 days since 7/10 by GlasgowBlue 15 Jan 16:53
What an odd post. Where have I said that anyone disagreeing with me is antisemitic? The only time I have ever accused anyone n here of being antisemitic is when they have actually posted something antisemitic.

Being appalled at Israel's "indiscriminate and disproportionate" doesn't make somebody antisemitic. I've never seem a single person on here being accused of being antisemitic for putting that point f view over. It's a view I've poste myself several times. Even on this thread.

Why did you even bring the subject of antisemitism into the thread? Please link a single thread where somebody has been accused of being antisemitic for simply disagreeing with my point of view. Either put up or shut up.

[Post edited 14 Apr 8:32]

Firstly thanks for replying, I am always trying to get a balance on these things, not easy when the situation is incredibly delicate. Bit like the UK political situation, if you even mention anything good on either side of the spectrum you get shot down by the advocates.

Right secondly apologies for not replying to your message, I have no idea why I didn't, it wasn't done out of anything apart from my missing it.

I've looked back and I can't see anything direct that you said that would have triggered my comments, however I do feel that as soon as somebody tries to defend the actions of the Gazans or any of the Arab states against Israel people tend to jump in, it's as if Israel can't do anything wrong. Maybe it was a general point about how Israel seems untouchable with their actions and as soon as you try to question their actions, you are labeled anti$emitic. It looks like it wasn't my best approach to try and understand the situation.

Having read your response, it's certainly a pause for thought. Whilst I do understand that Iran has been a major puller of the ropes in the back ground, and that the airstrikes maybe wasn't defined as a civilian target, it's often one sides word against the other to suit their agenda. Iran will say that it was civilian, Israel will say it wasn't. The joys of propaganda.

A question I would ask, is do you see Israels response to the 7th October attack as appropriate? Part of it feels like their Prime Minister is doing this as he knows as soon as the war is over he will be voted out.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 10:33 - Apr 14 with 1045 viewsTrequartista

Why are they all pretending this came out of nowhere when it was retaliation for Israel striking their embassy? Were they expecting Iran to do nothing? They're now going to retaliate again and no-one was even killed.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 10:35 - Apr 14 with 1032 viewsTrequartista

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 00:51 - Apr 14 by Reus30

Appreciate this is probably an incredibly dumb question but what is with the continued escalation?

I mean the choice of language used by allies of Israel continues to be concerning, the continued escalation and tit for tat violence (I don't mean to trivialise it but it seems retaliation on a constant basis) and now the fact the a large contingent of the middle east will now rapidly become involved in this to the point where a world war is looking more likely than ever.

Where is the person or the organisation to ease these tensions and apply some common sense? Innocent people getting caught up for what purpose! World has gone feral.

You could say that about any war to be fair. Is there any population in the world that thinks i was planning on going on holiday this year but instead i fancy a war.
[Post edited 14 Apr 10:35]

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 10:37 - Apr 14 with 1025 viewsredrickstuhaart

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 10:33 - Apr 14 by Trequartista

Why are they all pretending this came out of nowhere when it was retaliation for Israel striking their embassy? Were they expecting Iran to do nothing? They're now going to retaliate again and no-one was even killed.

Indeed. Iran is a despicable regime, and I have been desperately hoping that the protests over recent years might snowball and change things there, but it is yet to happen. It is absurd that I have to make these obvious comments to avoid being accused of being a terrorist sympathiser when I make the following point:

Bombing diplomatic territory in another country, to assassinate people, is plainly an act totally unacceptable. The consequences were obvious and one can only assume that Israel did it for a reason, with their eyes fully open. It has forced the US, who were rightly questioning recent Israel behaviour, to making robust comments in support of Israel again.
Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 10:37 - Apr 14 with 1023 viewslowhouseblue

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 10:33 - Apr 14 by Trequartista

the story didn't start with the israeli strike on the irgc general. it's a bit silly to present it in those terms.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 10:39 - Apr 14 with 1018 viewsTrequartista

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 10:37 - Apr 14 by lowhouseblue

the story didn't start with the israeli strike on the irgc general. it's a bit silly to present it in those terms.

Yeah i know they are arguing that Iran is constantly attacking through proxies, but still, surely that was a move (the embassy strike) that was bound to escalate.
[Post edited 14 Apr 10:39]

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 10:45 - Apr 14 with 986 viewslowhouseblue

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 10:39 - Apr 14 by Trequartista

Yeah i know they are arguing that Iran is constantly attacking through proxies, but still, surely that was a move (the embassy strike) that was bound to escalate.
[Post edited 14 Apr 10:39]

funding, training, equipping, and directing hamas, hezbollah, and the houthis is not promoting peace.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 10:46 - Apr 14 with 976 viewsredrickstuhaart

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 10:45 - Apr 14 by lowhouseblue

funding, training, equipping, and directing hamas, hezbollah, and the houthis is not promoting peace.

No one said it did...
Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 10:54 - Apr 14 with 949 viewsTrequartista

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 10:45 - Apr 14 by lowhouseblue

All true, all not the point i was making.

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 11:03 - Apr 14 with 923 viewsDJR

Interesting article from Chatham House.

https://www.chathamhouse.org/2024/04/strike-irans-consulate-syria-could-be-spark
Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 11:26 - Apr 14 with 870 viewsDJR

If I were the father of a hostage, this is what I would feel.

Yehuda Cohen, the father of an Israeli captive in Gaza, has criticised the Israeli leadership for failing to consider the effect of the targeting of the Iranian consulate in Damascus on the release of those held in the Strip.

“The prime minister and the political and military echelons approved the assassination of a senior Iranian [official] – and no one thought what would have been the impact on the return of the abductees, the thing they claim is most important to them,” Cohen told the Israeli Army Radio.

Israeli officials have been focused on Iran for the past two weeks, Cohen said, while “captives are rotting in Gaza”.
Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 12:30 - Apr 14 with 804 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 11:26 - Apr 14 by DJR

Yehuda Cohen, the father of an Israeli captive in Gaza, has criticised the Israeli leadership for failing to consider the effect of the targeting of the Iranian consulate in Damascus on the release of those held in the Strip.

“The prime minister and the political and military echelons approved the assassination of a senior Iranian [official] – and no one thought what would have been the impact on the return of the abductees, the thing they claim is most important to them,” Cohen told the Israeli Army Radio.

Israeli officials have been focused on Iran for the past two weeks, Cohen said, while “captives are rotting in Gaza”.

Meanwhile, in relation to this and your previous post, the Yahoo gets to keep his Cheshire cat grin.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 12:38 - Apr 14 with 789 viewsNthQldITFC

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 09:36 - Apr 14 by PhilTWTD

If they were being delivered by Evri I think there's a danger of Iceland being drawn into this.

I thought someone had dumped some drainpipes in my hedge overnight, but now it's all starting to make sense.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 16:29 - Apr 14 with 681 viewsDJR

Don't worry folks. All will be calm in the Middle East when The Donald becomes President.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/apr/14/trump-iran-response-israel
Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 16:34 - Apr 14 with 664 viewsLord_Lucan

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 16:29 - Apr 14 by DJR

Don't worry folks. All will be calm in the Middle East when The Donald becomes President.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/apr/14/trump-iran-response-israel

He's a nutter but you could argue that Iran wouldn't be quite so brazen as the leading terrorist funding nation in the world of Trump was in power.

He certainly wouldn't have released billions of dollars to them like Biden did.

God help us whoever wins.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 16:35 - Apr 14 with 658 viewsJ2BLUE

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 12:38 - Apr 14 by NthQldITFC

I thought someone had dumped some drainpipes in my hedge overnight, but now it's all starting to make sense.

He's going to end the Russian invasion within 24 hours.

I actually believe him. Giving Putin his every demand and withdrawing funding pretty much ends it. For now.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 22:07 - Apr 14 with 521 viewsbournemouthblue

Iran just launched an attack on Israel on 11:26 - Apr 14 by DJR

I do wonder how much this is a political move on Israel's part to try and win back support for Netanyahu

They are playing a dangerous game the West really wants no part in

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024