Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dispatches from Leeds 10:11 - Apr 10 with 3169 viewsyorkshireblue

From my desk walking distance to Elland Road….

My Leeds supporting colleagues can broadly be split into two camps – those who go to games, and those who don’t (found out a colleague I’ve worked with for five years who talks about Leeds roughly every 25 mins in that time only actually went to his first game this season in the cup…claims he can’t get tickets but was outed by someone asking him how many times he’s applied in the matchday ballot… )

Those that do go, up until today have largely been pragmatic – going to the wire etc.

Whereas the ‘plastics’ have been very vocal about how they are the best team in the league, we’re going to fade and our luck will run out, the football league is corrupt. Apparently, the EFL want to keep them in the Championship as they are the EFL ‘cash cow’ and they want us to get promoted as it’s a good story. They seem to think that we get lots of decisions in our favour, they get none, and games are moved to make it harder for them and easier for us as we get more rest... and yes, I've tried pointing out facts to them but that doesn't seem to matter to them.

Notable change in the chat from Leeds fans today. I’ve been congratulated twice for winning the league! Farke has gone from the greatest manager in Championship history, to a fraud who should be sacked. I make that now the teams in 1st, 3rd, 4th and 6th now calling for their manager to go? This is the first time I’ve ever heard them all in agreement that they don’t think they’ll get autos. Although they all think they’ll win the play-offs as nobody wants to come to big scary Elland Road apparently. If they don’t take an early lead against Blackburn on Saturday I can see the locals getting very restless, and if they go behind it’ll be toxic.

I’m keeping my powder dry… not started any conversations about football, said to all and sundry in the office when asked that we are the outsiders to go up and that last night doesn’t count for much unless we get a result tonight. And secretly I’d rather Leeds came up with us than financial cheats Leicester.

But my god if we go up and they don’t I’ve got some receipts I’ll be digging out.
Dispatches from Leeds on 10:15 - Apr 10 with 3066 viewsHerbivore

All fanbases have their fair share of berks but I think it's fair to say there's been a general lack of dignity and class from Leeds and Leicester for a lot of the season. I don't think we've started celebrating promotion at any point and won't unless it actually happens. And whilst they rack up penalty after penalty - plenty of them soft - and we barely get a decision in our favour, we largely don't accuse them of being particularly lucky. They're good sides, as are we. That we shouldn't be as good as them on paper and yet we are in terms of performances clearly cuts them deep.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Dispatches from Leeds on 10:21 - Apr 10 with 3017 viewsbrazil1982

I work with a few Leeds supporters - very pragmatic, as stressed as we are.

The membership and ticket costs means he has spent over £100 to go to one match this year.
Dispatches from Leeds on 10:26 - Apr 10 with 2950 viewsSitfcB

They’ve won the league 3 or 4 times this season and wanted the manager out on a number of occasions

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Dispatches from Leeds - corrected numbers on 10:54 - Apr 10 with 2696 viewsGuthrum

Much is made of Leeds' ferocious home record - and it is - but we have only dropped one more point at Portman Rd than they at their place. Four draws and a loss to their five draws (from one fewer game).

2.45 ppg picked up against their 2.52 ppg. The next closest are Leicester on 2.30 ppg, Norwich 2.24 ppg, West Brom 2.15 ppg, Southampton 2.10 ppg and everyone else less than two.

Home form is Leeds' big strength (they're ranked 5th on the away table), but ours is none to shabby, either.
[Post edited 10 Apr 12:49]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Dispatches from Leeds on 10:56 - Apr 10 with 2664 viewsdavblue

Dispatches from Leeds on 10:15 - Apr 10 by Herbivore

All fanbases have their fair share of berks but I think it's fair to say there's been a general lack of dignity and class from Leeds and Leicester for a lot of the season. I don't think we've started celebrating promotion at any point and won't unless it actually happens. And whilst they rack up penalty after penalty - plenty of them soft - and we barely get a decision in our favour, we largely don't accuse them of being particularly lucky. They're good sides, as are we. That we shouldn't be as good as them on paper and yet we are in terms of performances clearly cuts them deep.

i don't think the Second Tier Podcast has helped in regard to our exposure, and the superlatives they've given us all season. Other fans seem to believe that they are a spokesperson for Ipswich Town. I've not seen loads of comments that we've won the league, there's some for sure but on the whole they are mainly from the same people looking for bites and interactions.

I was more nervous last season than this, im quite chilled about this one, i was nervous on Saturday though, not felt like that for a while.
Dispatches from Leeds on 11:05 - Apr 10 with 2571 viewssoupytwist

The conspiracy theorists will have been strengthened by the absolutely nailed on penalty Leeds weren't given last night.

Still, that would have taken them to 9 this season, exactly three times as many as we've had.
Dispatches from Leeds on 11:13 - Apr 10 with 2494 viewsHerbivore

Dispatches from Leeds on 11:05 - Apr 10 by soupytwist

The conspiracy theorists will have been strengthened by the absolutely nailed on penalty Leeds weren't given last night.

Still, that would have taken them to 9 this season, exactly three times as many as we've had.

They got a soft one against Hull, swings and roundabouts (except for us who just don't get penalties full stop).

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Dispatches from Leeds on 11:34 - Apr 10 with 2349 viewsyorkshireblue

Dispatches from Leeds on 11:13 - Apr 10 by Herbivore

They got a soft one against Hull, swings and roundabouts (except for us who just don't get penalties full stop).

Not forgetting Bamford doing his best Maradona impression to score against mighty Rotherham a few months ago.
Login to get fewer ads

Dispatches from Leeds on 11:41 - Apr 10 with 2272 viewsEuropablue

Dispatches from Leeds on 10:15 - Apr 10 by Herbivore

They were robbed of a blatant penalty last night. They need a few more bad penalty calls to balance out our misfortunes this season though!
Dispatches from Leeds on 11:44 - Apr 10 with 2255 viewsDubtractor

Dispatches from Leeds on 11:13 - Apr 10 by Herbivore

Pointless giving us penalties tbf, as we'll only go and miss them.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Dispatches from Leeds on 11:47 - Apr 10 with 2217 viewsTresBonne

Yep, I live in Leeds too and I have noticed how split their fans can be. Some of them have a normal conversation, whereas some just start going on a rant about Lucky FC or something daft.

If you ever go to the Dry Dock pub, have a chat with their large (belly wise) bouncer, he's completely deluded. Quite funny.
Dispatches from Leeds on 11:57 - Apr 10 with 2138 viewsITFC_Forever

We're 3rd, and I don't think anyone wants KMc sacked?

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Dispatches from Leeds on 11:59 - Apr 10 with 2110 viewsEuropablue

That's an interesting point about the calls for the manager to be sacked. It does make you wonder whether the manager of the season nominations should be made at the end of the season. Liam Rosenior should not have been nominated and the QPR and Wednesday managers probably should have been, but those two could still go down, and if Leeds come third and lose in the playoffs it would have been a bad season even if it looks pretty solid right now. The only manager who deserves to be nominated for manager of the season regardless of the final 5 or 6 matches is KM, because even if we finish on 87 and lose in the playoffs, that is still an excellent season. At the very least I'm expecting us to put up a good fight.
It's a huge thing that we have the whole club pulling in the same direction and it could make all the difference in a very tight race.
I get it, having an unexpected rival who you categorized as a League One club, and therefore no threat and an easy 6 points can feel very destabilizing and challenges your perceived pecking order, but sport doesn't respect your feelings as a supporter.
I don't think anyone has seriously thought that we could ever be nailed on for the title or even promotion. Leicester fans could be forgiven for thinking that it was in the bag considering how far ahead they were, but I noticed some frailties. Leeds played so well against us that I think we are biased to the idea that they have already won all of their remaining games and we have to win all of ours to stay ahead. They obviously also have their frailties. Last Saturday was an example of how we can end up on the wrong side of a result when we are not at our best or even anywhere near it. Just look at our results and you will find only really Hull, Millwall, and Sheffield Wednesday at home were comfortable victories. The reason we have done so well is that we come out on the right side of very marginal matches almost the whole season. We could lose any one of the remaining matches, but we won't lose them all because we have super KM and his process.
We would have had the league wrapped up by now if Saturday 12:30 kick offs were banned!
Dispatches from Leeds on 12:07 - Apr 10 with 2065 viewsHighgateBlue

Dispatches from Leeds - corrected numbers on 10:54 - Apr 10 by Guthrum

Much is made of Leeds' ferocious home record - and it is - but we have only dropped one more point at Portman Rd than they at their place. Four draws and a loss to their five draws (from one fewer game).

2.45 ppg picked up against their 2.52 ppg. The next closest are Leicester on 2.30 ppg, Norwich 2.24 ppg, West Brom 2.15 ppg, Southampton 2.10 ppg and everyone else less than two.

Home form is Leeds' big strength (they're ranked 5th on the away table), but ours is none to shabby, either.
[Post edited 10 Apr 12:49]

What do you mean by 1.20 ppg picked up? I'm not sure I follow the arithmetic.
Dispatches from Leeds on 12:22 - Apr 10 with 1938 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

My best mate from school who watches and sells programs to away supporters for them says they have been dreadful since the international break.
He also tipped us for automatic promotion this year based on coming with me to Barnsley away so seems to know his stuff!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Dispatches from Leeds on 12:42 - Apr 10 with 1826 viewsGuthrum

Dispatches from Leeds on 12:07 - Apr 10 by HighgateBlue

What do you mean by 1.20 ppg picked up? I'm not sure I follow the arithmetic.

Yes, messed that up in the calculation. Forgot to reduce the number of games played to just the home ones.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Dispatches from Leeds on 22:15 - Apr 16 with 1043 viewsyorkshireblue

A colleague has text to inform me that teams try harder when they face Leeds than other teams, which is why Southampton managed to beat Preston comfortably - but they beat Leeds.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024