Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keir Starmer has had 4 community notes on Twitter 09:46 - Mar 24 with 1283 viewsMullet

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Keir Starmer has had 4 community notes on Twitter on 10:20 - Mar 24 with 1158 viewsNthQldITFC

What are they worth?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Keir Starmer has had 4 community notes on Twitter on 11:10 - Mar 24 with 1058 viewsDJR

The Tories have been up to this sort of thing for as long as I can remember but there was no fact-checking in those days.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2005/apr/04/electionspast.past3
Keir Starmer has had 4 community notes on Twitter on 11:35 - Mar 24 with 1006 viewsCheltenham_Blue

At the risk of sounding old, whats one of them?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Keir Starmer has had 4 community notes on Twitter on 12:09 - Mar 24 with 911 viewsBlueBadger

Keir Starmer has had 4 community notes on Twitter on 11:35 - Mar 24 by Cheltenham_Blue

At the risk of sounding old, whats one of them?

https://help.twitter.com/en/using-x/community-notes

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Keir Starmer has had 4 community notes on Twitter on 12:54 - Mar 24 with 832 viewsTrequartista

Who police's the policeman?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Keir Starmer has had 4 community notes on Twitter on 12:59 - Mar 24 with 824 viewsSwansea_Blue

Keir Starmer has had 4 community notes on Twitter on 12:09 - Mar 24 by BlueBadger

https://help.twitter.com/en/using-x/community-notes

So they’re just from the community? The same community that’s a cesspit of misinformation? That doesn’t seem a particularly reliable or trustworthy way to know if posts are blatant lies.

Not that Sunak and the Tories aren’t blatant liars of course - that’s a given.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Keir Starmer has had 4 community notes on Twitter on 13:47 - Mar 24 with 760 viewsDJR

Keir Starmer has had 4 community notes on Twitter on 12:59 - Mar 24 by Swansea_Blue

So they’re just from the community? The same community that’s a cesspit of misinformation? That doesn’t seem a particularly reliable or trustworthy way to know if posts are blatant lies.

Very true on both counts.

This from the Advertising Standards Authority explains why they don't get involved, although they believe there should be some sort of regulation.

"So, why is it that political parties can act with apparent impunity when making claims in ads and other election materials?

As it currently stands, ‘political advertisements’ are banned from being broadcast on TV or radio under the Communications Act 2003 (instead parties are given airtime via party political broadcasts which aren’t classed as advertising). Meanwhile, claims in ads in non-broadcast media (posters, newspapers etc.) whose principal function is to influence voters in local, regional, national or international elections or referendums are exempt from the CAP Code.

Political ads (and the parties, issues and policies they promote) usually inspire contention and debate. While we understand the calls for political ads to be subject to the same standards of truthfulness and decency that all UK advertisers have to abide by, there are a number of reasons why we don’t regulate them. One of the main reasons is that regulating mostly-commercial advertising is very different from regulating material that forms part of the democratic process.

We think it would be inappropriate and unworkable for us to intervene in that process, certainly as things currently stand. The ASA, as a non-statutory regulator funded primarily by advertisers, is not the right body to lead political advertising regulation but, as we made clear last year, we think political advertising should be regulated and we are ready to help: sharing our experience of regulating non-political ads and exploring how we might contribute in any more collaborative arrangement."
[Post edited 24 Mar 13:48]
Keir Starmer has had 4 community notes on Twitter on 14:53 - Mar 24 with 649 viewsClapham_Junction

Keir Starmer has had 4 community notes on Twitter on 12:59 - Mar 24 by Swansea_Blue

TBF, from what I've seen over the last few months, community notes are generally pretty fair. Sunk and other Tories regularly have then when they're peddling their nonsense, while more honest politicians and parties rarely get them.

I think I've only ever seen one or two community notes that I thought were a bit harsh, out of the hundreds I've seen since they started using them.
Login to get fewer ads

Keir Starmer has had 4 community notes on Twitter on 17:18 - Mar 24 with 534 viewsSwansea_Blue

Keir Starmer has had 4 community notes on Twitter on 13:47 - Mar 24 by DJR

Very true on both counts.

This from the Advertising Standards Authority explains why they don't get involved, although they believe there should be some sort of regulation.

"So, why is it that political parties can act with apparent impunity when making claims in ads and other election materials?

As it currently stands, ‘political advertisements’ are banned from being broadcast on TV or radio under the Communications Act 2003 (instead parties are given airtime via party political broadcasts which aren’t classed as advertising). Meanwhile, claims in ads in non-broadcast media (posters, newspapers etc.) whose principal function is to influence voters in local, regional, national or international elections or referendums are exempt from the CAP Code.

Political ads (and the parties, issues and policies they promote) usually inspire contention and debate. While we understand the calls for political ads to be subject to the same standards of truthfulness and decency that all UK advertisers have to abide by, there are a number of reasons why we don’t regulate them. One of the main reasons is that regulating mostly-commercial advertising is very different from regulating material that forms part of the democratic process.

We think it would be inappropriate and unworkable for us to intervene in that process, certainly as things currently stand. The ASA, as a non-statutory regulator funded primarily by advertisers, is not the right body to lead political advertising regulation but, as we made clear last year, we think political advertising should be regulated and we are ready to help: sharing our experience of regulating non-political ads and exploring how we might contribute in any more collaborative arrangement."
[Post edited 24 Mar 13:48]

That was all sounding like a bit of a cop out until the last paragraph. I fully support their call for political ads to be regulated. I’d argue it’s more important than for the ads for ‘stuff’ we buy.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024