Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A few threads today have had me thinking 19:26 - Mar 13 with 4037 viewsFtnfwest

Where we’d be if gamechanger hadn’t turned up, Evans was still in charge and in all likelihood lambert was still seeing out his contract, or would cook have been employed anyway? League 2? Or towards the bottom of league one celebrating draws at home to Shrewsbury with tunnel jumps?
A few threads today have had me thinking on 13:37 - Mar 14 with 909 viewsChurchman

A few threads today have had me thinking on 12:09 - Mar 14 by Jon_456

There is an argument that it was the best thing for us in the long term. Had we continued in the Championship, would the new owners still have invested in us as ME would have probably wanted more money?

No doubt we had to suffer miserably for a couple of years but these last 2 years have been the most enjoyable since I’ve been going (from 04/05 season).

The best thing would have been for Evans to sell when he got bored with it. About the time nutjob Keane left.

There was always the argument ‘who would buy us?’ Well he did. So did GC20. Somebody would have just as every other club has been bought and sold.

So no, the shambles of dementor Evans was appalling and it was not the best thing for us in my view. Where I agree is that the last two years have been the most enjoyable for me since Burley’s time late 90s-2001. Much as I enjoyed Royle’s teams, there was a feeling of decline underpinning it, despite his near miracle of almost getting us promoted.
A few threads today have had me thinking on 15:59 - Mar 14 with 841 viewsJon_456

A few threads today have had me thinking on 13:37 - Mar 14 by Churchman

The best thing would have been for Evans to sell when he got bored with it. About the time nutjob Keane left.

There was always the argument ‘who would buy us?’ Well he did. So did GC20. Somebody would have just as every other club has been bought and sold.

So no, the shambles of dementor Evans was appalling and it was not the best thing for us in my view. Where I agree is that the last two years have been the most enjoyable for me since Burley’s time late 90s-2001. Much as I enjoyed Royle’s teams, there was a feeling of decline underpinning it, despite his near miracle of almost getting us promoted.

The best thing would have been for him to have never bought us in the first place. I’ve said before but having seen now how a football club should be run, I’m staggered beyond belief why he even bothered owning us when he put such little effort into it. Even after he had tightened the purse strings, there was so much we could have done as a football club to improve things without investment that we just seemed to ignore.

Anyway my original point was that if we hadn’t have been relegated, arguably Evans could still be be here which would have deprived us of the last two years.

All irrelevant anyway as he’s no longer here and I now love going to PR again. It’s no longer a chore like it was 2017-21.
A few threads today have had me thinking on 18:52 - Mar 14 with 801 viewsMach_foreignBlue

A few threads today have had me thinking on 09:32 - Mar 14 by BlueBadger

But probably still better than Lambert.

Oh yeah, because they are speaking out so nicely aren't they?
A few threads today have had me thinking on 18:53 - Mar 14 with 797 viewsMach_foreignBlue

A few threads today have had me thinking on 07:01 - Mar 14 by textbackup

We’d have seen Chambers and Skuse as a management team by now, absolutely 100%

And it would have been utter sht
[Post edited 14 Mar 7:03]

Imagine this. It isn't funny at all.
A few threads today have had me thinking on 19:16 - Mar 14 with 785 viewsTheBoyBlue

A few threads today have had me thinking on 19:57 - Mar 13 by Guthrum

I don't think we would quite have been there yet (we're not even three years into the Gamechanger era).

It was more a slow decline than a dramatic plunge. We might even have had a 2015-style flirtation with the play-offs (but a division lower, obviously), before something went wrong and there was another unwise choice. Probably lower mid table in League One. Not yet in immediate danger, but uneasily beginning to look over our shoulders.

The slow speed of the decline was possibly the worst element of it. I recall someone said it was "death by a thousand cuts", which summed it up well.

If was a sudden plunge there may have been more fightback, but as it was we headed so gradually towards the next level of decline that by the time we got there, most of us just went 'meh' and couldn't see any other way out. The thought of years and years of slowly falling down the pyramid was dreadful.

All the more reason to appreciate what we have now, regardless of whether we go up this season or not.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

A few threads today have had me thinking on 19:32 - Mar 14 with 765 viewstextbackup

A few threads today have had me thinking on 12:03 - Mar 14 by PhilTWTD

I did. I think it happened a couple of times over the course of negotiation. He was a reluctant seller.

Shows what a tw.at he really was. Even at the point of being pathetic he couldn’t see selling wasn’t needed for all involved

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

A few threads today have had me thinking on 19:33 - Mar 14 with 758 viewstextbackup

A few threads today have had me thinking on 18:53 - Mar 14 by Mach_foreignBlue

Imagine this. It isn't funny at all.

You just know it was only a year or two away from happening too…

Makes me anxious

A few threads today have had me thinking on 20:31 - Mar 14 with 725 viewsDinnernotTea

A few threads today have had me thinking on 12:03 - Mar 14 by PhilTWTD

I did. I think it happened a couple of times over the course of negotiation. He was a reluctant seller.

Any reason why he didn't want to sell? He was losing God knows how many millions every single year.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

Login to get fewer ads

A few threads today have had me thinking on 20:37 - Mar 14 with 710 viewsPhilTWTD

A few threads today have had me thinking on 20:31 - Mar 14 by DinnernotTea

Any reason why he didn't want to sell? He was losing God knows how many millions every single year.

He enjoyed owning the club, regardless of the lack of success.
A few threads today have had me thinking on 20:43 - Mar 14 with 697 viewsCheltenham_Blue

A few threads today have had me thinking on 20:37 - Mar 14 by PhilTWTD

The club was personal plaything then.
Makes him sound even more of a tool than I had him pegged for, considering how badly run down everything had become. Enjoyed having it, but never loved it.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

A few threads today have had me thinking on 20:58 - Mar 14 with 680 viewsCheltenham_Blue

A few threads today have had me thinking on 19:46 - Mar 13 by Swansea_Blue

Playing Colchester in a relegation decider?

The thing that still amazes me about that whole period is how apathetic most of us were. We should have been rioting in the stands, but not only accepted worse than mediocrity, we actually cheered our decent into League 1. Bonkers.

What I found even more amazing during that time was watching us have failed manager after failed manager after failed manager and so few putting two and two together and looking at Evans as the cause.

It often felt like being one of the few voices challenging Evans, and on here and being told repeatedly, by repeated posters to 'Buy the club then'. Which in itself was the retort of someone who has run out of legitimate responses to defend Evans. If we weren't already a mid table L2 side, we'd be well on our way to it.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

A few threads today have had me thinking on 21:14 - Mar 14 with 667 viewsmutters

A few threads today have had me thinking on 12:09 - Mar 14 by Jon_456

There is an argument that it was the best thing for us in the long term. Had we continued in the Championship, would the new owners still have invested in us as ME would have probably wanted more money?

No doubt we had to suffer miserably for a couple of years but these last 2 years have been the most enjoyable since I’ve been going (from 04/05 season).

No I agree that it has fortuitously worked out for us, but there wasn't a sniff of a take over at the time for people to basis this logic on. Think people thought we would absolutely walk L1.

Difficult days but I think we can all agree brighter days have followed since then.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

A few threads today have had me thinking on 21:58 - Mar 14 with 658 viewsDinnernotTea

A few threads today have had me thinking on 20:37 - Mar 14 by PhilTWTD

Lack of success is irrelevant. How can you enjoy something which you don't watch and the wage bill is a minimum £18m a year out of your own pocket? He sounds a psycho.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

A few threads today have had me thinking on 22:21 - Mar 14 with 648 viewsSE1blue

A few threads today have had me thinking on 20:58 - Mar 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

What I found even more amazing during that time was watching us have failed manager after failed manager after failed manager and so few putting two and two together and looking at Evans as the cause.

It often felt like being one of the few voices challenging Evans, and on here and being told repeatedly, by repeated posters to 'Buy the club then'. Which in itself was the retort of someone who has run out of legitimate responses to defend Evans. If we weren't already a mid table L2 side, we'd be well on our way to it.

I think a lot of people had sussed Evans out but the club were spared their share of ugly scenes partly by covid, as we were kept away during some of the worst football this club he ever seen.

To me it felt like watching a loved one in a terrible relationship, where you can’t get close enough to make change.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

A few threads today have had me thinking on 22:59 - Mar 14 with 608 viewsPhilTWTD

A few threads today have had me thinking on 21:58 - Mar 14 by DinnernotTea

Lack of success is irrelevant. How can you enjoy something which you don't watch and the wage bill is a minimum £18m a year out of your own pocket? He sounds a psycho.

He used to watch games, if he wasn't there he was provided with a stream even before that was commonplace. The money side of it has always mystified me. He spent substantial sums every year but not enough for there to be a reasonable chance of success.
A few threads today have had me thinking on 23:40 - Mar 14 with 574 viewsMach_foreignBlue

A few threads today have had me thinking on 19:33 - Mar 14 by textbackup

You just know it was only a year or two away from happening too…

Makes me anxious

Frightening, isn't it?

But we had people wanting Skuse and Chambers to get the interim joint managerial roles for the rest of the reason after Lambert had left.

I remember this very well.....Some people wanted them two. Seriously. Beyond apprehension is an understatement.
A few threads today have had me thinking on 08:10 - Mar 15 with 494 viewstextbackup

A few threads today have had me thinking on 22:59 - Mar 14 by PhilTWTD

He used to watch games, if he wasn't there he was provided with a stream even before that was commonplace. The money side of it has always mystified me. He spent substantial sums every year but not enough for there to be a reasonable chance of success.

*nowhere near enough

A few threads today have had me thinking on 08:46 - Mar 15 with 466 viewshype313

A few threads today have had me thinking on 22:59 - Mar 14 by PhilTWTD

In Poker terms, he was pot committed, he was chasing with no hand to speak of in the faintest hope something would land.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

A few threads today have had me thinking on 12:17 - Mar 15 with 421 viewsPhilTWTD

A few threads today have had me thinking on 08:46 - Mar 15 by hype313

In Poker terms, he was pot committed, he was chasing with no hand to speak of in the faintest hope something would land.

Yes, I don't think that's an unfair reflection. I think he'd been like that since about 2012.
A few threads today have had me thinking on 12:20 - Mar 15 with 418 viewshype313

A few threads today have had me thinking on 12:17 - Mar 15 by PhilTWTD

Yes, I don't think that's an unfair reflection. I think he'd been like that since about 2012.

And the blinds were going up as each year passed.

I think it was the Rochdale draw, which was the straw that broke the camels back.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

A few threads today have had me thinking on 12:27 - Mar 15 with 411 viewsWD19

Honestly, I think Cook with the promise of stability would have had us punching in the top 6 of League One. There is a fair chance that across 2 seasons that we would make a play off final and maybe even sneak up.

So I think my (perhaps slightly optimistic) answer is we would be battling relegation from the Championship this year, via a visit to Wembley.
A few threads today have had me thinking on 13:07 - Mar 15 with 390 viewsFtnfwest

A few threads today have had me thinking on 11:38 - Mar 14 by PhilTWTD

Change from Lambert to Cook had nothing to do with the new owners coming in.

Yes but i'd always thought the story went that he gave them a veto. Which of course ended up with them being able to say he wasn't their man really when it all went wrong.
A few threads today have had me thinking on 13:56 - Mar 15 with 352 viewsElephantintheRoom

A ‘project’ for “sir” Jim and the Ineos team?

A Qatari sportswashing project?

A Clearlake Captial comedy club?

A mafia money-laundering operation?

Plenty of buyers of other clubs since the 5% gang rode into town

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

A few threads today have had me thinking on 14:13 - Mar 15 with 331 viewsMattinLondon

A few threads today have had me thinking on 13:56 - Mar 15 by ElephantintheRoom

Is that the plot for the novel that you’re writing? Good luck with that.
A few threads today have had me thinking on 14:16 - Mar 15 with 325 viewsChurchman

A few threads today have had me thinking on 13:56 - Mar 15 by ElephantintheRoom

Dear god, will you ever give up?

Your beloved Norwich, Bristol, Cambridge or whoever are out there for you. They’d welcome your cheerful, positive ….’Input’ I’m sure.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024