Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Beginning of the end for Blue Action? 09:38 - Mar 11 with 11080 viewsUSA

I write this with no agenda. Only with a genuine concern about the reputation of our club.

I have previously raised concerns on other channels about the reputational damage that I think the club risk with part of the Blue Action movement labelling themselves as Ultras. I believe that the connotations of what Ultras represent is very very negative. Please read the link below.

https://news.sky.com/story/violent-football-ultras-reveal-why-they-attack-rivals

Now, initially I contacted a friend who is involved in the BA movement and made a suggestion that they could speak with someone to discuss whether or not this is the type of thing we want to potentially be linked with, even if very tenuously. I appreciate many of the Ultras are over hormonal teens who get a bit OTT but my friend advised that they had actually noticed an increase in the numbers of people who are getting the wrong idea about what BA is intended for and incidents of fighting etc are starting to occur. The Cardiff incident as an example. Now the Cardiff incident may not be in anyway associated with any BA member. But if their own members are also noticing issues then now is the time to act.

Yes the effectiveness of what they do is debated, but there is no doubt their intentions are for the good of the club. What we don’t need to to end up with a reputation of Cardiff or Millwall fans. Which may seem a long way off now, but we need to recognise the risk now and stamp it out.

I await your down votes.
[Post edited 11 Mar 9:39]
Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 10:43 - Mar 11 with 1995 viewstextbackup

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 10:40 - Mar 11 by Reuser_is_God

Why do you think foreign football fans never travel to Kesgrave?

They wouldn’t make it past the Fisheries.

Spotters at Applegreen garage would have them stabbed by the time they hit bent lane

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 10:44 - Mar 11 with 1997 viewsReuser_is_God

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 10:42 - Mar 11 by artsbossbeard

Kesgrave is Wanderers manner.

Might have to be on your toes if you get rumbled.

Don’t dare go as far the “The Doucy”

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 10:53 - Mar 11 with 1929 viewsBlueBadger

Christ alive.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 10:57 - Mar 11 with 1901 viewsDubtractor

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 10:43 - Mar 11 by textbackup

Spotters at Applegreen garage would have them stabbed by the time they hit bent lane

I've heard that Grange Farm is a no go area these days.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 10:57 - Mar 11 with 1901 viewsSteve_M

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 10:36 - Mar 11 by Funge

Apropos of very little here, and talking from a purely anecdotal perspective, I think part of the teenage support experience is going away, getting drunk and excited, and acting like a nobhead.

I got punched in the head at Carrow Rd in 1996 (Danny Sonner scored a blinder, and I deserved it), and, 3 years later at Swindon, I got basically told by about 30 Towun fans to sit down, shut up and fck off, after turning up drunk and giving some poor old Swindon steward grief over pretty much nothing.

I've also, in more recent times (maybe 10 years ago), started on Sitters and his mates at the back of the NSL over not much at all, prompting a mid-game downstairs 'chat' and, happily, an amicable resolution (do pass my best onto Sam if you see him, Sitters...)

Of course, I am now an exemplary Towun fan, and many others in North Lower follow my lead when passing comment on Keith Stroud's excellent refereeing, along with many other issues.

Simply, if you're punching people at football, then you might be taking it a little bit too seriously.

In any case, I've a lot of love for Blue Action; the OPs post is a bit wild.
[Post edited 11 Mar 10:39]

True, and I remember thinking as we got off the train at Charlton last year that I was glad I did my excessive teenage drinking in a university environment (not that anyone was that bad that day and BTP had a polite word with a couple of our fans advising them to be a little less lairy).

I don't think it's just age though that makes some of the closer away days less enjoyable than they really should be. It does seem to have got a bit worse on the knobhead front recently.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 11:06 - Mar 11 with 1856 viewsCobboldCrusty

think this is pretty misguided tbh

there are definitely some idiot fans at our club - see those making references to sheep repeatedly on Saturday (did it occur to you the people you're most likely to offend are the Welsh players on our own team)

But I think this tie (as propagated by Sky) between ultras and the far right is just not true in a lot of cases. Blue Action are clearly a good thing for the club and I think we should be taking more of a stand against misogyny, racism, homphobia etc where it emerges amongst other parts of our own fanbase - if you want to behave like that go and support Rangers or Millwall
Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 11:09 - Mar 11 with 1822 viewsBigalhunter

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 10:28 - Mar 11 by USA

And that was where it started for me. Don’t use the word Ultras. The connotations are not good.

I made the mistake of suggesting, last year, that the Norwich stuff was a bit ‘pseudo ultra’ and was pounced upon by one of the more vocal BA lads to assure me that ‘we are not pseudo ultras, we ARE ultras’

Went on to say how excited he was to see his photo in the Guardian’s Sports Photo of the Year and that I should ‘get off my ar$e and go do it better’
Made me realise it’s just a bit of fun for lads who need to feel part of a group, pop on a peaky blinders cap, wrap a scarf around their faces and wave a firework about, and I actually think they do create a cracking atmosphere in the ground and I love the use of the old badge and that funny caricature with the joker face.

The ultras bit is open to interpretation, and for many it does conjure up images of the far right Lazio nutters, but the BA lot actually seem quite harmless. Wholly unfair to link them to every act of knobbery involving some elements of our fan base.

The club are happy, the players enjoy it so play on.
[Post edited 11 Mar 11:13]
Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 11:21 - Mar 11 with 1756 viewsMattinLondon

To many non-football fans, the very word ‘football’ brings up imagery of thuggery and course behaviour. On many rugby Union forums, there’s always negative comments being hurled towards football. To combat this, do we have to not call ourselves ‘football fans? Words are powerful but ‘ultra’ in context of BA, does t mean racism and other negative connotations found in Italian football.

I’m not in BA but I’ve spoken to people who belong to that group and I’ve always found them to be friendly and passionate supporters. On a very base level they were set-up to improve the atmosphere to add colour and to add energy into the stands.

Your comment - The Cardiff incident as an example. Now the Cardiff incident may not be in anyway associated with any BA member. But if their own members are also noticing issues then now is the time to act.

What does that even mean? You accept that BA might not be involved but still you attack them regardless.

Your entire post is simply a pointless attack on a group because you don’t like them - it’s ridiculous.

Thank you BA for the noise and displays.
Login to get fewer ads

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 11:24 - Mar 11 with 1739 viewsJ2BLUE

Another one to add to the list of things BA have been blamed for but haven't actually done.

'Now, initially I contacted a friend who is involved in the BA movement and made a suggestion that they could speak with someone to discuss whether or not this is the type of thing we want to potentially be linked with'

Amazing that they didn't follow up...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 11:30 - Mar 11 with 1709 viewsNedPlimpton

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 10:35 - Mar 11 by textbackup

Imagine thinking a bunch of kids from Kesgrave and Woodbridge are actually the same as the ultras seen in Europe 😂😂😂😂

Then imagine how cringey it is for a bunch of kids from Woodbridge or kesgrave to carry an 'ultras' banner

I'm all for BA and the work they do. But the Ultras stuff is a bit naff
[Post edited 11 Mar 11:39]
Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 11:37 - Mar 11 with 1643 viewstextbackup

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 10:57 - Mar 11 by Dubtractor

I've heard that Grange Farm is a no go area these days.

Not called ‘strange farm’ for nothing

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 11:37 - Mar 11 with 1656 viewsBuhrer

No agenda...

..I have previously raised concerns on other channels... FFS

As a Town fan, Blue Action improve my experience, more power to their collective members.

With your non agenda driven, misguided smear, you've done f ook all.
Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 11:52 - Mar 11 with 1577 viewsRichardWright

It would be easier just to say you've got it in for Blue Action and be done with it tbh.

I think there is a misconception here about there phrase "Ultras" and I have no issue with it being used.

From Google:
While ultras groups can become violent, the majority of matches attended by ultras conclude with no violent incidents. Unlike hooligan firms, whose main aim is to fight hooligans of other clubs, the main focus of ultras is generally to support their own team.

Ultras are just fanatical supporters. BA aren't calling themselves a Firm or Hooligans.
Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 12:05 - Mar 11 with 1518 viewsSteve_M

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 11:21 - Mar 11 by MattinLondon

To many non-football fans, the very word ‘football’ brings up imagery of thuggery and course behaviour. On many rugby Union forums, there’s always negative comments being hurled towards football. To combat this, do we have to not call ourselves ‘football fans? Words are powerful but ‘ultra’ in context of BA, does t mean racism and other negative connotations found in Italian football.

I’m not in BA but I’ve spoken to people who belong to that group and I’ve always found them to be friendly and passionate supporters. On a very base level they were set-up to improve the atmosphere to add colour and to add energy into the stands.

Your comment - The Cardiff incident as an example. Now the Cardiff incident may not be in anyway associated with any BA member. But if their own members are also noticing issues then now is the time to act.

What does that even mean? You accept that BA might not be involved but still you attack them regardless.

Your entire post is simply a pointless attack on a group because you don’t like them - it’s ridiculous.

Thank you BA for the noise and displays.

"On many rugby Union forums, there’s always negative comments being hurled towards football."

Yes, but has far less to do with football fans than the innate prejudice of a large number of English rugby union fans towards people who support a more popular support.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 12:05 - Mar 11 with 1511 viewstextbackup

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 11:30 - Mar 11 by NedPlimpton

Then imagine how cringey it is for a bunch of kids from Woodbridge or kesgrave to carry an 'ultras' banner

I'm all for BA and the work they do. But the Ultras stuff is a bit naff
[Post edited 11 Mar 11:39]

They aren’t hurting anyone. And creating an atmosphere.
I see no issue at all

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 12:12 - Mar 11 with 1491 viewsNedPlimpton

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 12:05 - Mar 11 by textbackup

They aren’t hurting anyone. And creating an atmosphere.
I see no issue at all

Not suggesting they are hurting anyone. Just voicing an opinion on the use of the word 'Ultra'
Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 12:30 - Mar 11 with 1422 viewsBasuco

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 10:32 - Mar 11 by USA

This is it exactly. Using that word could make them the target.

For some reason some are reading far more into your post than you intended, to me you made a very good point and were clear in support of BA, but they might want to drop the word ultra. Maybe younger fans do not appreciate that football violence and firms have not gone away, there are still a good number who would still love to show away fans what they can do. I for one did understand your genuine concern rather than anything else, maybe it is because I am old enough to have seen the extreme violence of the past.
Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 12:31 - Mar 11 with 1405 viewsElephantintheRoom

I think you can relax. The Blue Action obsessives were patronised whilst they were useful - but by chasing more money the owners will distance themselves from fringe obsessives and ally themselves to where the extra cash might come from - milking families, corporate, better overpriced facilities etc.

Not sure if thuggery in Wales has a Blue Action stain on it - but screaming abuse at a pair of geriatrics in a car did - and I am not sure that goes down well with Roy Rogers and the other ´owners’ either.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 12:31 - Mar 11 with 1421 viewsDubtractor

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 11:37 - Mar 11 by Buhrer

No agenda...

..I have previously raised concerns on other channels... FFS

As a Town fan, Blue Action improve my experience, more power to their collective members.

With your non agenda driven, misguided smear, you've done f ook all.

The blue action crew must despair whenever threads like this pop up.

I'm about as far from being a football ultra as you'd get, but can see that what the BA lot are doing is hugely positive for our club and the atmosphere at the ground, even if I think some individual events are a but misjudged.

But every time there is an incident at one our games there seems to be a desperation to link it to them in some way, even if there is no evidence for it.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 12:35 - Mar 11 with 1398 viewsReus30

Typical yanks init.....

No but seriously, we need to stop the violence. That article, with all those pictures of Town fans on the rampage, is not a good look for us.
Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 12:39 - Mar 11 with 1353 viewsSitfcB

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 12:35 - Mar 11 by Reus30

Typical yanks init.....

No but seriously, we need to stop the violence. That article, with all those pictures of Town fans on the rampage, is not a good look for us.

What article?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 12:43 - Mar 11 with 1342 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 12:05 - Mar 11 by Steve_M

"On many rugby Union forums, there’s always negative comments being hurled towards football."

Yes, but has far less to do with football fans than the innate prejudice of a large number of English rugby union fans towards people who support a more popular support.

There's some of that but there's a clear difference in how these sets of fans approach supporting their teams. The fact that opposition fans can mix together and have a beer while watching the rugby without issue says a lot.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 12:44 - Mar 11 with 1337 viewsVegtablue

In fairness you do write with transparent agenda.

Germany is famous for its Ultra scene and they're a well-liked, wholesome bunch in the main. Embraced by clubs and media, distanced from violence and organised crime, very much not social pariahs. Their disappearance during COVID times was lamented by most. Is it similar in Scandinavian countries?

So the term isn't intrinsically linked with hooliganism, fascism or organised crime, as mentioned above, even though the Italian scene is. I would welcome a flourishing English scene in the German model, which is effectively organised cheerleading but "more cool".

I may be miles out here but link our problem youth element to their education in L1. Taking over non-football towns with little resistance, tucked safely away in sleepy Suffolk and subsequently learning the wrong lessons. This in tandem with the uptick in youth violence more generally, and hooliganism. Those who attacked the Cardiff grandad are scum, quite simply. They will learn better lessons if they carry on, because other clubs will prepare.
Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 12:56 - Mar 11 with 1267 viewsGuthrum

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 11:09 - Mar 11 by Bigalhunter

I made the mistake of suggesting, last year, that the Norwich stuff was a bit ‘pseudo ultra’ and was pounced upon by one of the more vocal BA lads to assure me that ‘we are not pseudo ultras, we ARE ultras’

Went on to say how excited he was to see his photo in the Guardian’s Sports Photo of the Year and that I should ‘get off my ar$e and go do it better’
Made me realise it’s just a bit of fun for lads who need to feel part of a group, pop on a peaky blinders cap, wrap a scarf around their faces and wave a firework about, and I actually think they do create a cracking atmosphere in the ground and I love the use of the old badge and that funny caricature with the joker face.

The ultras bit is open to interpretation, and for many it does conjure up images of the far right Lazio nutters, but the BA lot actually seem quite harmless. Wholly unfair to link them to every act of knobbery involving some elements of our fan base.

The club are happy, the players enjoy it so play on.
[Post edited 11 Mar 11:13]

Tho I'm interested to know where the imagery of the bowler hatted face was taken from. To me, it brings to mind A Clockwork Orange, which is disturbing. But I may have misinterpreted it.

Otherwise entirely support what they are doing.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 13:21 - Mar 11 with 1186 viewsBigalhunter

Beginning of the end for Blue Action? on 12:56 - Mar 11 by Guthrum

Tho I'm interested to know where the imagery of the bowler hatted face was taken from. To me, it brings to mind A Clockwork Orange, which is disturbing. But I may have misinterpreted it.

Otherwise entirely support what they are doing.

That Clockwork Orange image never even occurred to me, but now you point it out, I can see what you mean.
I rather naively thought it was something to do with the joker in Batman.

I’m sure someone from BA will be on shortly to clarify the origin.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024