Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. 07:59 - Mar 6 with 5330 viewsITFC_Forever

Embarrassing from the Bristol players, it took half the Town team to protect the penalty spot, and several of our players had to mark theirs like they were defending a set piece.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 09:31 - Mar 6 with 1640 viewsNthQldITFC

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 09:06 - Mar 6 by blue_curacao

I was also surprised that there was no red card for the foul - last man etc?

Not sure what the goalie was booked for?

The goalie was booked in advance for saving the penalty. As Leeds, Plymouth, Norwich and Leicester fans will tell you, referees are instructed to penalise any attempts to save ITFC penalties. (not that many are awarded)

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 09:38 - Mar 6 with 1618 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 08:23 - Mar 6 by textbackup

‘Protect the pen spot’

I never get this, they might scuff it a bit, but it’s a dead ball kick, a bit of mess really shouldn’t matter.

It’s all very pantomime IMO.

Also, AAH should have never been given that pen.
[Post edited 6 Mar 8:27]

Professionals and fine margins. A scuffed up penalty spot can make the ball sit up higher so you go under it, or a wayward bit of turf can change the flight in other ways. Players wouldn't (almost literally) fight to scuff it/protect it if it didn't make a difference.

If it were me taking it I reckon a scuffed up penalty spot would be a help rather than a hindrance.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 09:40 - Mar 6 with 1612 viewsglasso

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 09:09 - Mar 6 by Fixed_It

Can't award a penaly AND send the player off - double jeopardy rule. But amazed he wasn't even booked!

What? What is this rule!?
The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 09:50 - Mar 6 with 1572 viewsJammyDodgerrr

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 09:40 - Mar 6 by glasso

Been a rule for years.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 09:52 - Mar 6 with 1562 viewsDennyx4

If you are making a genuine attempt to play the ball and a penalty is given, you should not receive a red card, due to double jeopardy. We get a penalty, however the player is usually booked.
The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 10:11 - Mar 6 with 1530 viewsSitfcB

Been a rule for years.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 10:24 - Mar 6 with 1489 viewstextbackup

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 09:38 - Mar 6 by The_Flashing_Smile

Professionals and fine margins. A scuffed up penalty spot can make the ball sit up higher so you go under it, or a wayward bit of turf can change the flight in other ways. Players wouldn't (almost literally) fight to scuff it/protect it if it didn't make a difference.

If it were me taking it I reckon a scuffed up penalty spot would be a help rather than a hindrance.

Still don’t buy it if I’m honest, think it’s just become a thing that has become fashionable to fight over

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 10:33 - Mar 6 with 1469 viewsbluelagos

Not overly bothered by the kerfuffles - was designed to place pressure on the penalty taker and worked. Part of the game.

Whilst the pen was poor, I would say fair dos to AH for stepping up to take it. Huge moment in the match and that took some bollox from one so young. Just a shame he missed.

I guess that's one for KM to work on - find a reliable pen taker. Could be very important in the coming weeks.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 10:55 - Mar 6 with 1447 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 10:24 - Mar 6 by textbackup

Still don’t buy it if I’m honest, think it’s just become a thing that has become fashionable to fight over

Could be a lot of it in the mind as well (of the pen taker) - anything that's a distraction/puts doubt in their mind can put them off a bit.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 11:03 - Mar 6 with 1424 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 09:16 - Mar 6 by Kieran_Knows

McKenna mentioned after the Millwall game that the designated penalty taker wasn't on the pitch at the time .... so my guess is that could it be Moore now?

It was Hirst, now it is either Broadhead or Moore.

I had no issue with AAH taking it. He is clearly a very confident lad, took a good one vs Millwall (granted with less pressure) and he is a striker and sometimes i think just let your strikers take them. Chaplin has taken too many stinkers to be the taker imo.

It was a bad penalty though. I think Taylor would've been a good alternative. My god can he strike a ball.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 11:05 - Mar 6 with 1421 viewswischip

There does seem to be a lot of drama, delay & sh-thousery in putting us off our penalties of late. But I'm sure KMcK will analyse this and put it right, just like he does everything else.
The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 11:08 - Mar 6 with 1407 viewsNthQldITFC

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 11:03 - Mar 6 by TRUE_BLUE123

It was Hirst, now it is either Broadhead or Moore.

I had no issue with AAH taking it. He is clearly a very confident lad, took a good one vs Millwall (granted with less pressure) and he is a striker and sometimes i think just let your strikers take them. Chaplin has taken too many stinkers to be the taker imo.

It was a bad penalty though. I think Taylor would've been a good alternative. My god can he strike a ball.

Don't know how well Taylor strikes a dead ball, but Leif Davis certainly strikes one well.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 11:24 - Mar 6 with 1354 viewsstonojnr

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 08:15 - Mar 6 by wrightsrightglove

I never understand why someone doesn’t sit / lay on the penalty spot. It shouldn’t come to that but it happens at every penalty now. Just lay across it and wait for the ref to get control

I was thinking that myself last night if the tactic now is for the opposition to muck up the spot. Just plonk yourself sat down on it, tell the ref youre having a rest.

Plus any of the verbal stuff then opposition have to bend down to talk to you.
The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 11:33 - Mar 6 with 1319 viewsArnoldMoorhen

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 11:08 - Mar 6 by NthQldITFC

Don't know how well Taylor strikes a dead ball, but Leif Davis certainly strikes one well.

Leif wouldn't want it as it would muck up his Assists to Goals ratio.

Unless Kieran can work on a variation on this theme:

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 11:38 - Mar 6 with 1284 viewsWeWereZombies

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 09:24 - Mar 6 by NthQldITFC

I once played in a game at Needham where there was giant kerfuffle off to the side of the box after a penalty had been awarded to the opposition. One of our lads quickly dropped his kecks and did a massive turd on the penalty spot before anyone noticed. They missed the kick.

(that didn't really happen, but I found the idea somewhat amusing)

Totally implausible, in Needham they would quickly source a toilet bowl to place on the penalty spot and plumb it in. Then spend twenty minutes puzzling over how that spoiled the effect.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 11:40 - Mar 6 with 1278 viewsITFCson

Can't award a penaly AND send the player off - double jeopardy rule. But amazed he wasn't even booked!

You can if there is no attempt to play the ball, however that is often a subjective take
The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 11:45 - Mar 6 with 1254 viewsITFCson

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 11:33 - Mar 6 by ArnoldMoorhen

Leif wouldn't want it as it would muck up his Assists to Goals ratio.

Unless Kieran can work on a variation on this theme:

I really do not understand why teams don't mix in pens like this, perfectly legal
The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 12:13 - Mar 6 with 1214 viewsReus30

I would be in favour of Clarke taking spot kicks. Lethal shot.
The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 12:52 - Mar 6 with 1138 viewsGeoffSentence

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 08:30 - Mar 6 by Europablue

They should change the guidance and let everyone know that once the decision has been made if players get in the way of the penalty being taken, yellow cards will start coming out. It only takes consistent application of fair rules to change behaviour.

Players get booked for delaying free-kicks, should be the same for penalties,

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 13:23 - Mar 6 with 1086 viewsRadlett_blue

Referees are now supposed to give a red card AND a penalty only if they consider the foul to have been deliberate. I thought their defender was booked, although he was making a decent attempt to play the ball.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 13:27 - Mar 6 with 1078 viewsTresBonne

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 09:38 - Mar 6 by The_Flashing_Smile

There's a few clips on the internet of Cristiano Ronaldo purposely putting his left foot down next to the ball just before hitting it, so it bounces up and he almost half volleys it for more trajcetory and power. Elite sport has insane fine margins
The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 13:36 - Mar 6 with 1049 viewsRadlett_blue

The kerfuffle when the penalty was awarded…. on 12:52 - Mar 6 by GeoffSentence

Players get booked for delaying free-kicks, should be the same for penalties,

Yes, would be a start, but as others have said, refs would need to stick to their guns. Another good example of how a sin bin (even if just for dissent) might cut out much of this unpleasantness.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024