Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we get to the premiership 20:47 - Mar 3 with 4133 viewsCrawfordsboot

How many of our players would still be with us a year later.

Looking at the Burnley side that played Stoke last year I think only Cullen has survived the step up to play in the Premiership at Bournemouth this afternoon!

That must be a pretty intimidating prospect for our squad!

Who do we think could cope with the step up?
If we get to the premiership on 20:53 - Mar 3 with 3248 viewstonybied

That plan is working well for Burnley isn't it? Familiarity and cohesion has got us a long way so far, we need to give that a chance still surely? I think it's better just to add a few more faces that take us to the next level. We know only to well how wholesale changes of the playing squad can take a long time to form a winning team.
If we get to the premiership on 20:54 - Mar 3 with 3235 viewsbazza

Looking at Burnley, I’d say maybe we keep everyone and take our chances then ..
If we get to the premiership on 20:56 - Mar 3 with 3214 viewsGeoffSentence

If we get to the premiership on 20:54 - Mar 3 by bazza

Looking at Burnley, I’d say maybe we keep everyone and take our chances then ..

Worked for Burley that first season.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

If we get to the premiership on 20:59 - Mar 3 with 3197 viewsRobTheMonk

All of them and we’ll win it.
If we get to the premiership on 20:59 - Mar 3 with 3191 viewsDarkBrandon

Two questions there. Who would still be with us, and who would be in the first team.

I’d expect the lions share of our core squad to still be here. As for who would be in the first team? Who knows. Plenty have stepped up this season in a way I wasn’t expecting (but presumably McKenna thought likely) so I’m not going to speculate.

We’d certainly have to bring in a few with PL experience though.
If we get to the premiership on 21:00 - Mar 3 with 3183 viewsnodge_blue

I reckon we would keep 75% of the current squad.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

If we get to the premiership on 21:00 - Mar 3 with 3189 viewsGlasgowBlue

It’s hard to say. People were saying that we would need to upgrade on Cameron Burgess as he wouldn’t be good enough for the Championship. He’s one of the standouts if our title chasing team.

I wouldn’t even begin to guess who is good enough and who isn’t.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

If we get to the premiership on 21:02 - Mar 3 with 3172 viewsbazza

If we get to the premiership on 20:56 - Mar 3 by GeoffSentence

Worked for Burley that first season.

Yep, to be fair, I think the current team could definitely keep us in the prem.
Login to get fewer ads

If we get to the premiership on 21:07 - Mar 3 with 3105 viewsSitfcB

Keep them all, they deserve a shot at it, will obviously need one or two additions but don’t need to go silly.

Burnley would be doing a lot better had they not made so many new signings I reckon, Luton are doing a lot better than many thought and they didn’t go gung-ho.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

If we get to the premiership on 21:09 - Mar 3 with 3078 viewsCrawfordsboot

I think I agree with most of your comments however I was surprised at just how much churn they have had in the playing staff. If we go up I guess that after the initial excitement a few of our players would be a bit worried about their prospects.

I n the past I recall hearing about players wanting a good season but not actually wanting promotion because the knew they would get moved on. It’s a ruthless business.
If we get to the premiership on 21:15 - Mar 3 with 3037 viewsGarv

Burgess, Burns, Broadhead, Hirst, Morsy, Davis.

I reckon they could do it. Anyway it doesn't really matter if KM is still in the dugout, the whole squad would be fine.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

If we get to the premiership on 21:26 - Mar 3 with 2945 views_clive_baker_

I don’t think it would be a complete overhaul. A big factor in our success is the continuity, understanding, the way we’re coached and familiarity we have in terms of our patterns of play, shape, fluidity of our formations etc. To rip that up with wholesale changes would be silly, but we would need is to bring in quality. I would imagine it would be 6-7 additions, a similar amount of departures to make way (the likes of Jackson, Ball, Donacien, Aluko, Ladapo etc). What it would mean is the current regulars like Burns, Hirst, Luongo, Clarke etc probably then become the bench options, as we upgrade in such areas.

I still think we would look to invest fees in young players who we think have a high ceiling. The likes of Philogene who we couldn’t stretch to in the Championship but certainly would be in the market for players like that if we were in the premier league.
If we get to the premiership on 21:27 - Mar 3 with 2933 viewsDarkBrandon

If we get to the premiership on 21:09 - Mar 3 by Crawfordsboot

I think I agree with most of your comments however I was surprised at just how much churn they have had in the playing staff. If we go up I guess that after the initial excitement a few of our players would be a bit worried about their prospects.

I n the past I recall hearing about players wanting a good season but not actually wanting promotion because the knew they would get moved on. It’s a ruthless business.

Regarding your last point - I’ve heard at least two players address this by saying that being part of a promotion squad makes them in demand from many clubs also looking to get promoted.

So even if it doesn’t work out in the top flight, they will be in demand from many clubs in the Championship. The same must work for managers, even if they get the boot in the PL.
If we get to the premiership on 21:29 - Mar 3 with 2915 viewsDarkBrandon

If we get to the premiership on 21:26 - Mar 3 by _clive_baker_

I don’t think it would be a complete overhaul. A big factor in our success is the continuity, understanding, the way we’re coached and familiarity we have in terms of our patterns of play, shape, fluidity of our formations etc. To rip that up with wholesale changes would be silly, but we would need is to bring in quality. I would imagine it would be 6-7 additions, a similar amount of departures to make way (the likes of Jackson, Ball, Donacien, Aluko, Ladapo etc). What it would mean is the current regulars like Burns, Hirst, Luongo, Clarke etc probably then become the bench options, as we upgrade in such areas.

I still think we would look to invest fees in young players who we think have a high ceiling. The likes of Philogene who we couldn’t stretch to in the Championship but certainly would be in the market for players like that if we were in the premier league.

We couldn’t get by with just our best players and some young potential. We’d need an equivalent of a new Morsy and Mowbray who have plenty of PL experience.
If we get to the premiership on 21:33 - Mar 3 with 2879 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Keep the main core together, they got there let them play.

Then try and add a couple players of quality, like luton did with Barkley for example.
[Post edited 3 Mar 21:37]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

If we get to the premiership on 21:42 - Mar 3 with 2789 views_clive_baker_

If we get to the premiership on 21:29 - Mar 3 by DarkBrandon

We couldn’t get by with just our best players and some young potential. We’d need an equivalent of a new Morsy and Mowbray who have plenty of PL experience.

Mogga barely played in the top flight and left when we got promoted. I think we could do with a couple of ‘senior’ experienced players at that level, probably short term deals like Luton have done with Townsend & Barkley etc. But personally I would rather we hand the opportunity to players like Woolfy, Davis, Chaplin, Broadhead etc to go and have a go at proving themselves. Certainly think our chunky fees would be spent on players under 25. 2 or 3 bigger money additions like that, couple of experienced PL players on a free. Few loanees to replace the existing ones (maybe even keep Hutchinson). Something like that.
If we get to the premiership on 21:46 - Mar 3 with 2756 viewsjayessess

If we get to the premiership on 21:27 - Mar 3 by DarkBrandon

Regarding your last point - I’ve heard at least two players address this by saying that being part of a promotion squad makes them in demand from many clubs also looking to get promoted.

So even if it doesn’t work out in the top flight, they will be in demand from many clubs in the Championship. The same must work for managers, even if they get the boot in the PL.

Yeah, I've always thought the "not wanting to be over-promoted" made zero sense. A football career is a simple calculation, the better you play and the more you achieve, the more money you'll make.
[Post edited 3 Mar 22:33]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

If we get to the premiership on 22:01 - Mar 3 with 2701 viewsITFCMonk

Christian Walton - gone
Harry Clarke - staying
Leif Davis - staying
George Edmundson - staying
Samy Morsy - staying
Luke Woolfenden - staying
Wes Burns - staying
Freddie Ladapo - gone
Connor Chaplin - staying
Marcus Harness - gone
Dom Ball - gone
Ciaran Slicker - loaned out
Jack Taylor - staying
Cameron Burgess - staying
Ali Al Hamadi - staying
Brandon Williams - gone
Kayden Jackson - gone
Omari Hutchinson - try to keep
Jeremy Sarmiento - try to keep
Sone Aluko - gone
Kieffer Moore - try to keep
Massimo Luongo - staying
Elkan Baggott - loaned out
George Hirst - staying
Lewis Travis - gone
Cameron Humphreys - staying
Vaclav Hladky - staying
Nick Hayes - gone
Nathan Broadhead - staying
Axel Tuanzebe - staying
Janoi Donacien - gone
Ryan Carr - I know nothing about him
Leon Ayinde - I know nothing about him
Gerrard Buabo - loaned out
Gassan Ahadme - gone
Panutche Camara - gone
Idris El Mizouni - loaned out

That will leave at least 16 staying with room to add to the squad. To be honest I think you could say the same if we were in the Championship next season anyway.
If we get to the premiership on 22:10 - Mar 3 with 2602 viewsbournemouthblue

If we get to the premiership on 22:01 - Mar 3 by ITFCMonk

Christian Walton - gone
Harry Clarke - staying
Leif Davis - staying
Samy Morsy - staying
Wes Burns - staying
Freddie Ladapo - gone
Connor Chaplin - staying
Marcus Harness - gone
Dom Ball - gone
Jack Taylor - staying
Ali Al Hamadi - staying
Brandon Williams - gone
Kayden Jackson - gone
Sone Aluko - gone
Massimo Luongo - staying
George Hirst - staying
Lewis Travis - gone
Vaclav Hladky - staying
Nick Hayes - gone
Axel Tuanzebe - staying
Janoi Donacien - gone
Gassan Ahadme - gone
Panutche Camara - gone

That will leave at least 16 staying with room to add to the squad. To be honest I think you could say the same if we were in the Championship next season anyway.

Hard to argue with much of that really

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

If we get to the premiership on 22:14 - Mar 3 with 2571 viewsITFCMonk

If we get to the premiership on 22:10 - Mar 3 by bournemouthblue

Hard to argue with much of that really

Just realised I think the original post meant who would still be at the club after a season in the prem. you’d like to think we could keep everyone but I think a good balance is to bring in 5 or 6 new players every season, so I guess that would trim that down further to around 10 or 11.
If we get to the premiership on 22:22 - Mar 3 with 2524 viewsDarkBrandon

If we get to the premiership on 21:42 - Mar 3 by _clive_baker_

Mogga barely played in the top flight and left when we got promoted. I think we could do with a couple of ‘senior’ experienced players at that level, probably short term deals like Luton have done with Townsend & Barkley etc. But personally I would rather we hand the opportunity to players like Woolfy, Davis, Chaplin, Broadhead etc to go and have a go at proving themselves. Certainly think our chunky fees would be spent on players under 25. 2 or 3 bigger money additions like that, couple of experienced PL players on a free. Few loanees to replace the existing ones (maybe even keep Hutchinson). Something like that.

I know about Mogga. I just meant a senior defender who could provide experience. Like we intended John Scales to be, but that didn’t work out, obviously.
If we get to the premiership on 22:27 - Mar 3 with 2488 viewsITFCMonk

If we get to the premiership on 22:22 - Mar 3 by DarkBrandon

I know about Mogga. I just meant a senior defender who could provide experience. Like we intended John Scales to be, but that didn’t work out, obviously.

Just had a look at who is out of contract from the prem in the summer. Aaron Cresswell was a name that stood out for that
If we get to the premiership on 22:28 - Mar 3 with 2475 viewsEuropablue

If we get to the premiership on 20:59 - Mar 3 by RobTheMonk

All of them and we’ll win it.

I think we might come second.
If we get to the premiership on 23:24 - Mar 3 with 2268 viewsheavyweight

Christian Walton - gone
Harry Clarke - staying
Leif Davis - staying
Samy Morsy - staying
Wes Burns - staying
Freddie Ladapo - gone
Connor Chaplin - staying
Marcus Harness - gone
Dom Ball - gone
Jack Taylor - staying
Ali Al Hamadi - staying
Brandon Williams - gone
Kayden Jackson - gone
Sone Aluko - gone
Massimo Luongo - staying
George Hirst - staying
Lewis Travis - gone
Vaclav Hladky - staying
Nick Hayes - gone
Axel Tuanzebe - staying
Janoi Donacien - gone
Gassan Ahadme - gone
Panutche Camara - gone

Corrie Ndaba has done well in the Scottish prem - staying or another loan ?
If we get to the premiership on 23:41 - Mar 3 with 2226 viewsnorfsufblue

Christian Walton - gone
Harry Clarke - staying
Leif Davis - staying
Samy Morsy - staying
Wes Burns - staying
Freddie Ladapo - gone
Connor Chaplin - staying
Marcus Harness - gone
Dom Ball - gone
Jack Taylor - staying
Ali Al Hamadi - staying
Brandon Williams - gone
Kayden Jackson - gone
Sone Aluko - gone
Massimo Luongo - staying
George Hirst - staying
Lewis Travis - gone
Vaclav Hladky - staying
Nick Hayes - gone
Axel Tuanzebe - staying
Janoi Donacien - gone
Gassan Ahadme - gone
Panutche Camara - gone

Not sure about Walton and Vaz..... I think it would actually be the other way round in the Prem... with Slicker stepping up to bench warmer. Only because I don't think we'd get away with some of the liberties we currently do and we'd be doing a fair bit more defending to I reckon. Walton is more of the stature of keeper we'd need at that level.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024