Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we get to the premiership 20:47 - Mar 3 with 4343 viewsCrawfordsboot

How many of our players would still be with us a year later.

Looking at the Burnley side that played Stoke last year I think only Cullen has survived the step up to play in the Premiership at Bournemouth this afternoon!

That must be a pretty intimidating prospect for our squad!

Who do we think could cope with the step up?
If we get to the premiership on 00:49 - Mar 4 with 842 viewsITFCMonk

If we get to the premiership on 23:24 - Mar 3 by heavyweight

Corrie Ndaba has done well in the Scottish prem - staying or another loan ?

Wasn’t listed on the squad list on here for some reason. Would say another loan
If we get to the premiership on 00:52 - Mar 4 with 826 viewsITFCMonk

If we get to the premiership on 23:41 - Mar 3 by norfsufblue

Not sure about Walton and Vaz..... I think it would actually be the other way round in the Prem... with Slicker stepping up to bench warmer. Only because I don't think we'd get away with some of the liberties we currently do and we'd be doing a fair bit more defending to I reckon. Walton is more of the stature of keeper we'd need at that level.

To be honest I would try to keep both Hladky and Walton, loan out Slicker and bring in an experienced prem goalkeeper to compete with them if the squad size allows it. Just have a feeling Walton might prefer to be a nailed on number 1 somewhere else and can’t see Hladky going with the season he’s had. Although he is out of contract so never know.
[Post edited 4 Mar 0:56]
If we get to the premiership on 05:02 - Mar 4 with 736 viewsMK1

Just add a bit of Premier League experience in each department. Try and keep Moore, so a midfielder and maybe 2 defenders. That's all I would do. They got us there (hopefully) so deserve the chance.
If we get to the premiership on 06:58 - Mar 4 with 688 viewsCrockerITFC

Hate to be semantic but we won't get to the Premiership unless we build a time machine
If we get to the premiership on 06:59 - Mar 4 with 689 viewsBlueBoots

Posted this between the Sunderland and Bristol Rovers games back in August, and regardless of what division we are in next season, I will be posting something similar again next August.

If we manage to win promotion this year, all the players who got us there deserve a fair crack of the whip at the Prem; continuity and momentum has got us this far, so if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I'll be happy if we continue recruiting as we have been doing - there'll be a natural churn with players who have run their course with us and replacing loanees which will free up 6-7 places in the squad anyway, look to sign some promising U-21s too (like Al-Hamadi) to build for the future, and then strengthen with 3-5 signings in the winter window to compensate for injuries in key positions, or replacing players who either want to move on, or struggle with the step up.

I effin' love our squad by BlueBoots 9 Aug 2023 19:15
Seems like an appropriate day to write this post, as quite a few players are making their first appearances of the season this evening.

Having read a few posts on here straight after a hard fought win at Sunderland, was a bit disappointed with some of the reaction (Highlight for me was a thread along the lines of "What have we learned from today's match?", to which one of the replies was that Edmundson and Jackson need replacing...[doh])

Can't remember if it was the same thread, but other posters thought we needed to bin off JD after the game because he gave the ball away a couple of times and didn't stop the cross that came into our box for their goal (at a time when he was probably seeing 2 footballs after being clattered by Hladky and starting to cramp up too). Few digs at Hladky's performance too; most of which seemed to be based on the fact that he isn't Walton. Already mentioned on another thread, but Hladky's reaction at the final whistle is already going into my highlight reel for the season; for me he's done what all good No.2 keepers do - train as if you're going to be playing every week anyway, and if the opportunity comes along to fill in, come in and do an outstanding job.

I think it's fair to say that Walton and Clarke would have likely played if available, but they weren't; just wanted to say how incredibly lucky we are to have players as good as Hladky and JD to step up when needed.

K McK / Ashton have alluded to our transfer policy being to bring in players who are an upgrade on what we have; could it possibly be the reason we aren't seeing signings is because we already have some damn good players (and people) in the building?

So cheers to Edmundson and Baggott who will get chances to fill in for a pair of centre-backs who contributed to a ridiculous run of clean sheets at the end of last season, Evans and Harness who helped us to get off to a flyer at the start of last season, and Ball and Aluko who have come back from injuries to bring their experience at this level to the group for a new season (on and off the pitch) To Jackson for making life hell for any left back who stupidly leaves a few yards of space empty behind him (despite the fact he'd probably prefer to be playing as a centre forward) To Edwards, who is probably desperate to start games, for coming off the bench so many times instead and making tiring opposition defenders wish they were heading in the opposite direction. And lastly to my favourite player Greg Leigh, who I was looking forward to seeing last season after watching the pre-season friendlies, only for us to sign one of the best young left backs in the country a few weeks later; with the kind of shifts our full-backs put in, 9 subs allowed on the bench, and 15 minutes of injury time looking to become the norm in matches, I hope to see more of you this season.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

If we get to the premiership on 07:37 - Mar 4 with 646 viewschicoazul

Gonna be big churn whatever happens. Think we will face a job to hang onto Hladky, and maybe Davies too if an enormous offer comes in. Don’t expect we will keep Omari and Jeremy, and may set our sights higher than Travis if we do go up. Williams is lost to history.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

If we get to the premiership on 07:44 - Mar 4 with 642 viewsCheltenham_Blue

If we’re going to switch to Rugby, like your title suggests, they’ll all have to go.
Except maybe Fridge.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

If we get to the premiership on 09:07 - Mar 4 with 578 viewseireblue

If we get to the premiership on 07:44 - Mar 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

If we’re going to switch to Rugby, like your title suggests, they’ll all have to go.
Except maybe Fridge.

Woohoo, we can get Tabby back.
Login to get fewer ads

If we get to the premiership on 09:16 - Mar 4 with 557 viewsJimmy86

If we get to the premiership on 22:01 - Mar 3 by ITFCMonk

Christian Walton - gone
Harry Clarke - staying
Leif Davis - staying
George Edmundson - staying
Samy Morsy - staying
Luke Woolfenden - staying
Wes Burns - staying
Freddie Ladapo - gone
Connor Chaplin - staying
Marcus Harness - gone
Dom Ball - gone
Ciaran Slicker - loaned out
Jack Taylor - staying
Cameron Burgess - staying
Ali Al Hamadi - staying
Brandon Williams - gone
Kayden Jackson - gone
Omari Hutchinson - try to keep
Jeremy Sarmiento - try to keep
Sone Aluko - gone
Kieffer Moore - try to keep
Massimo Luongo - staying
Elkan Baggott - loaned out
George Hirst - staying
Lewis Travis - gone
Cameron Humphreys - staying
Vaclav Hladky - staying
Nick Hayes - gone
Nathan Broadhead - staying
Axel Tuanzebe - staying
Janoi Donacien - gone
Ryan Carr - I know nothing about him
Leon Ayinde - I know nothing about him
Gerrard Buabo - loaned out
Gassan Ahadme - gone
Panutche Camara - gone
Idris El Mizouni - loaned out

That will leave at least 16 staying with room to add to the squad. To be honest I think you could say the same if we were in the Championship next season anyway.

Agree with the majority of that, but I think Harness is wrong... He definitely has stepped his game up a bit, after his injury.. ok, not a world beater, but he's decent enough
If we get to the premiership on 10:13 - Mar 4 with 515 viewsFreddies_Ears

If we get to the premiership on 21:00 - Mar 3 by GlasgowBlue

It’s hard to say. People were saying that we would need to upgrade on Cameron Burgess as he wouldn’t be good enough for the Championship. He’s one of the standouts if our title chasing team.

I wouldn’t even begin to guess who is good enough and who isn’t.

Last time we went up, I confidently and loudly predicted that Venus would move on and down in the summer, due to his utter lack of pace. Come July, he appeared in an athlete's body, sharp as a knife, and played like Beckenbauer for a season.
If we get to the premiership on 10:21 - Mar 4 with 496 viewsJammyDodgerrr

If we get to the premiership on 21:07 - Mar 3 by SitfcB

Keep them all, they deserve a shot at it, will obviously need one or two additions but don’t need to go silly.

Burnley would be doing a lot better had they not made so many new signings I reckon, Luton are doing a lot better than many thought and they didn’t go gung-ho.

The luton model is what we want to do really - keep the core and just add some experienced Prem heads who have that little bit of quality

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

If we get to the premiership on 10:46 - Mar 4 with 474 viewsOldFart71

I think we have to remember that Sarmiento, Hutchinson and Moore are highly unlikely to be with us next season. A few such as Jackson and Woolfenden I question whether either are good enough for the Prem. Then you have Ball and Aluko neither of whom are used much and Taylor who hasn't so far shown his potential. We definitely need to start producing better players through our youth teams. I am aware McKenna's not going to experiment at this time given that we have a great chance of getting into the Prem.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024