Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bristol City up and coming 17:18 - Feb 25 with 8215 viewsJerseybean

Hello from a Bristol City fan

Ahead of our forthcoming game I’m putting together the opening post for our forum’s (One Team in Bristol, https://www.otib.co.uk/?_fromLogin=1) match thread, which will be posted the day before the match.

I would like to include some perspectives from your fans so if anybody would like to share info please do, anything would be appreciated, fans thoughts about the game, players who have represented both clubs, tales from when we’ve met previously, a fans view on your season, etc.

Look forward to receiving info and to a great game.

Bristol City up and coming on 22:27 - Feb 25 with 2192 viewsBlueandTruesince82

1st to answer the question.

Mostly delighted. The points we've amassed, any other season we'd be almost a shoo in for automatic. Keeping pace with the 3 teams around us having just come up from L1, given their resources vs ours? Amazing work so far. Do I think we make top 2? Honestly no. Others ate more positive but I'm expecting play offs, either way a fantastic season and a big achievement.

2nd. A genuine question to city fans. Has it ever occurred that Ashton was working to a brief set by the owner. Within finnancial constraints set by the owner? That maybe he wasn't the devil and that Landsdowne, who seems quite and involved owner is the man ultimately signing off?

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Bristol City up and coming on 22:34 - Feb 25 with 2177 viewsbournemouthblue

Bristol City up and coming on 22:27 - Feb 25 by BlueandTruesince82

1st to answer the question.

Mostly delighted. The points we've amassed, any other season we'd be almost a shoo in for automatic. Keeping pace with the 3 teams around us having just come up from L1, given their resources vs ours? Amazing work so far. Do I think we make top 2? Honestly no. Others ate more positive but I'm expecting play offs, either way a fantastic season and a big achievement.

2nd. A genuine question to city fans. Has it ever occurred that Ashton was working to a brief set by the owner. Within finnancial constraints set by the owner? That maybe he wasn't the devil and that Landsdowne, who seems quite and involved owner is the man ultimately signing off?

Ashton has a decent track record previously too

Brizzle seem to have moved on a lot off the pitch, even if they seem to be lowly to middling at this level, which is about their natural position really

They are no longer the League One/Champ yo-yo club of previous years

For a club who have had one playoff finish in 42 years I think, they don't half have a high opinion of themselves?

Imagine what they'd make of the Cleggs and O'Neils of this world!

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Bristol City up and coming on 23:09 - Feb 25 with 2104 viewsFreddies_Ears

I always make sure I get at least one night in Brizzle every time we play there. Amazing pubs, beers, ciders. My family hail from Shirehampton & Sea Mills, so there's a big place in my heart for your city.
Football-wise, you've punched a bit velow your weight for too long; you should be at least a yo-yo team. But I wonder whether your owner's focus is enough on football?
Bristol City up and coming on 23:55 - Feb 25 with 2053 viewsVegtablue

Hi Jerseybean, you visited our forum before the first match if memory serves and Unstable provided an excellent report for you. He's taking some time off at the moment and Bloots is his understudy. Sure more people will supplement over the course of tomorrow.
Bristol City up and coming on 07:20 - Feb 26 with 1937 viewsibbleobble

We’ll forever be grateful for 8-years of Cole Skuse’s sideways passing. It may have been a free deal at the time but we paid for it as we slipped into obscurity. I was there for 1 of his 2 goals though and that’s something that’ll be remembered among folk for generations to come. Putting it into context, Geraint Williams scored 3 and he’s a former Gashead and Cardiff fan who couldn’t shoot!
Bristol City up and coming on 10:28 - Feb 26 with 1789 viewsBellevueblue

UTG
Bristol City up and coming on 11:07 - Feb 26 with 1719 viewsCobboldCrusty

Only previous memory (beyond the game at Ashton Gate earlier this season) is Brett Pitman scoring a bicycle kick at PR in the mid-winter... I think we won 2-1. It was down the other end to me so I think I've morphed it into a Puskas contender in my head when it may well have been a lucky shinner!
[Post edited 26 Feb 11:07]
Bristol City up and coming on 11:59 - Feb 26 with 1640 viewsOldFart71

Having supported/followed ITFC since the late 50's I can tell you they are a superb club and the list of great players goes back to then. Sadly we had years of Marcus Evans as an owner who to start with looked like he'd take us somewhere employing high profile managers and giving them decent funds to get in new players. Gradually I believe his enthusiasm waned, new incoming managers like McCarthy were starved of funds and we got the usual promise that "Marcus has funds to get in new players" problem was we then had to get rid of our best to bring in a lesser player and in some cases sell a player and not get a replacement in. Eventually and gratefully Gamechanger 20 can in like knights in shining armour and Evans excited stage One. We then had a period of a quick turnaround of manager and players before Ashton had a lightbulb moment and brought in McKenna, probably the best since Joe Royal or even Sir Bobby. McKenna got the club up last season with a fantastic run after Christmas and here we are now, proudly third in the table level on points with Leeds. Whatever the outcome of this season certainly one to be proud of all at Portman Road.
Login to get fewer ads

Bristol City up and coming on 12:24 - Feb 27 with 1408 viewsChurchman

My first visit to Ashton Gate was in 1980. We had a good side and BC were struggling. We won 3-0 and the home supporters outside were throwing stones at the Directors windows.

The next week was a cup game. BC captain, I think it was Geoff Merrick who damaged, possibly dislocated his shoulder. Bravely and to cheers of the crowd, he came out bandaged up second half. It didn’t last. Butcher and Osman put him in a meat sandwich and the victim left the field writhing up and down on the stretcher not entirely happy. We won the game, rather luckily, 2-1. Leaving the ground we were herded out and showered with bottles, cans, lighters, stones. Bet BCs directors and their windows were relieved.

As for home games, the first time I saw City was in the spring of 78. We were on our great, ultimately winning, FA Cup run but were dire in the league. Relegation threatened we scrambled a 1-0 win which effectively ended those worries.

In 92/92, I saw both games. An entertaining 4-2 home win and a deserved 2-1 away loss.

This season’s game coming up? I guess it depends on which Bristol City turn up. It’ll be tough if the Southampton smashers roll in, maybe not if last couple of games team pitches up.

Our season has been absurdly good. Exceeded expectations. The club is growing again and the team when it’s on it are exhilarating to see. We also punish teams late in games and have goals throughout the team. It’ll be an interesting game but if we play anything like the first half last Saturday we will come out on top in my view.
[Post edited 27 Feb 14:48]
Bristol City up and coming on 13:42 - Feb 27 with 1360 viewsStu_Magoo

Have you excommunicated that berk "DaveFevs" yet? Has Mark Ashton doing a stellar job made him self-combust?
Bristol City up and coming on 14:41 - Feb 27 with 1294 viewsCobboldCrusty

Bristol City up and coming on 11:07 - Feb 26 by CobboldCrusty

Only previous memory (beyond the game at Ashton Gate earlier this season) is Brett Pitman scoring a bicycle kick at PR in the mid-winter... I think we won 2-1. It was down the other end to me so I think I've morphed it into a Puskas contender in my head when it may well have been a lucky shinner!
[Post edited 26 Feb 11:07]

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4077642/Ipswich-Town-2-1-Bris

Looked it up and can confirm... turns out Tammy Abraham scored for BC that night...
Bristol City up and coming on 19:30 - Feb 27 with 1175 viewsford6600

Can l be the first to state the obvious? With Bristol's large catchment area stop underperforming and aim for the Premier League. Merge City and Rovers build a 50k stadium with money bags Middle Eastern or US owners. 'Bristol' or 'Bristol United' would inherit city and rovers past honours but be set up to become premier or top six championship team at least.
Bristol City up and coming on 20:42 - Feb 27 with 1128 viewsgainsboroughblue

Bristol City up and coming on 19:30 - Feb 27 by ford6600

Can l be the first to state the obvious? With Bristol's large catchment area stop underperforming and aim for the Premier League. Merge City and Rovers build a 50k stadium with money bags Middle Eastern or US owners. 'Bristol' or 'Bristol United' would inherit city and rovers past honours but be set up to become premier or top six championship team at least.

They despise each other so that wouldn't be quite so straight forward.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Bristol City up and coming on 20:47 - Feb 27 with 1118 viewsChurchman

Bristol City up and coming on 20:42 - Feb 27 by gainsboroughblue

They despise each other so that wouldn't be quite so straight forward.

Agreed. I know little about the clubs but what I do know is that hell will freeze over before those two merge. History and tradition matter, so nor should they merge.
Bristol City up and coming on 20:51 - Feb 27 with 1106 viewsOldsmoker

Bristol City up and coming on 19:30 - Feb 27 by ford6600

That's never going to happen, just as it won't happen anywhere else in the country where there are 2 local teams.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Bristol City up and coming on 20:56 - Feb 27 with 1097 viewsgainsboroughblue

Bristol City up and coming on 20:47 - Feb 27 by Churchman

Agreed. I know little about the clubs but what I do know is that hell will freeze over before those two merge. History and tradition matter, so nor should they merge.

Can remember a couple of failed 'merge' attempts.

Fulham and QPR to be Fulham Park Rangers. Something cooked up between David Bulstrode and Jim Gregory, the respective chairmen if I recall?

Robert Maxwell's brainwave was to lump Reading and Oxford together as the 'Thames Valley Royals'.

Bristol City up and coming on 21:32 - Feb 27 with 1059 viewsford6600

Bristol City up and coming on 20:56 - Feb 27 by gainsboroughblue

Can remember a couple of failed 'merge' attempts.

Fulham and QPR to be Fulham Park Rangers. Something cooked up between David Bulstrode and Jim Gregory, the respective chairmen if I recall?

Robert Maxwell's brainwave was to lump Reading and Oxford together as the 'Thames Valley Royals'.

Yes remember TVR but lumping two different teams from different places wasn't going to ever work. Bristol is an obvious possibility as is Dundee/Dundee United.
May happen one day but presently cases of 'divide and fail'. But makes life easier for their opponents.
Bristol City up and coming on 21:41 - Feb 27 with 1036 viewsChurchman

Bristol City up and coming on 21:32 - Feb 27 by ford6600

Yes remember TVR but lumping two different teams from different places wasn't going to ever work. Bristol is an obvious possibility as is Dundee/Dundee United.
May happen one day but presently cases of 'divide and fail'. But makes life easier for their opponents.

Surely Rangers and Celtic then? The problem with the idea is that each club has its own history and identity. Whether it’s Celtic/Rangers, Liverpool/Everton or Bristol City/Rovers it matters just as much for each club. Numbers of supporters is irrelevant. It’ll never happen. I hope it doesn’t anyway.
[Post edited 27 Feb 22:00]
Bristol City up and coming on 21:55 - Feb 27 with 1020 viewsford6600

Bristol City up and coming on 21:41 - Feb 27 by Churchman

Surely Rangers and Celtic then? The problem with the idea is that each club has its own history and identity. Whether it’s Celtic/Rangers, Liverpool/Everton or Bristol City/Rovers it matters just as much for each club. Numbers of supporters is irrelevant. It’ll never happen. I hope it doesn’t anyway.
[Post edited 27 Feb 22:00]

Large cities say a tipping point of 1m can accommodate successful rival teams Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow and London a dozen or more but Leeds are more successful as a one team city and Sheffield can host two teams, conversely Essex 2m lacks a focal point team, if Chelmsford were backed big time they could attract support and go far up the league pyramid.
Bristol City up and coming on 22:01 - Feb 27 with 1001 viewsgainsboroughblue

Bristol City up and coming on 21:55 - Feb 27 by ford6600

Large cities say a tipping point of 1m can accommodate successful rival teams Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow and London a dozen or more but Leeds are more successful as a one team city and Sheffield can host two teams, conversely Essex 2m lacks a focal point team, if Chelmsford were backed big time they could attract support and go far up the league pyramid.

As far as historical Essex goes, West Ham are part of it and accounts for a lot of support down that A12 corridor. We start to become prominent around Witham/Braintree onwards.

Harlow area is a bit Spursy with some Arsenal and you've also got Leyton Orient. Not forgetting Colchester too.

Bristol City up and coming on 22:04 - Feb 27 with 987 viewsChurchman

Bristol City up and coming on 21:55 - Feb 27 by ford6600

My point is Bristol Rovers are just as entitled to their own club as Liverpool. Their fans are just as passionate.

If people want professional football at Chelmsford, they’ll have it just as Suffolk got its professional team in the late 30s.
[Post edited 27 Feb 22:05]
Bristol City up and coming on 22:21 - Feb 27 with 960 viewsford6600

Bristol City up and coming on 22:04 - Feb 27 by Churchman

My point is Bristol Rovers are just as entitled to their own club as Liverpool. Their fans are just as passionate.

If people want professional football at Chelmsford, they’ll have it just as Suffolk got its professional team in the late 30s.
[Post edited 27 Feb 22:05]

Yes if we didn't get a unifying professional team in the 30's we may have had a couple of small but traditional
competing teams in Ipswich today! Say Whitton Utd and Chantry Athletic yo yo teams in Div2 and National League! The 62 78 81 trophies would never have been won by ITFC.
Bristol City up and coming on 23:09 - Feb 27 with 905 viewsChurchman

Bristol City up and coming on 22:21 - Feb 27 by ford6600

Yes if we didn't get a unifying professional team in the 30's we may have had a couple of small but traditional
competing teams in Ipswich today! Say Whitton Utd and Chantry Athletic yo yo teams in Div2 and National League! The 62 78 81 trophies would never have been won by ITFC.

There had to be a desire for professional football in Suffolk and there was. The battle to get it took years and there were attempts to set up a separate club, until Cobbold got all parties together.

But the demand was there. It’s an interesting story covered by many publications including Ken Rice’s excellent book on the early 70s and the later The Men Who Made The Town.

But my point stands. The idea of merging clubs, especially small ones, misses the point that every supporter whoever small the club is just as passionate as those of Celtic, Man City and Spurs and are just as entitled to their cub - and will be just as resilient to merger.
Bristol City up and coming on 23:11 - Feb 27 with 905 viewsWeWereZombies

Bristol City up and coming on 20:51 - Feb 27 by Oldsmoker

That's never going to happen, just as it won't happen anywhere else in the country where there are 2 local teams.

Don't just stop at merging the football clubs, go with everything in Bristol. Bristol United Multi Sports - up the BUMS...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Our recent success.... on 23:13 - Feb 27 with 899 viewsEuropablue

Our recent success.... on 18:01 - Feb 25 by catch74

He helped me with my egress.

I don't think anyone cares more about egress than MA.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024