Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Government doubling down again 07:47 - Feb 28 with 1006 viewsredrickstuhaart

Anderson was wrong, for unspecified reasons, but...

These protesters have made their and ought to stop says Cleverley.

Can't have any mp being "bullied" to change their minds on a subject by peaceful democratic protests.

[Subtext: why hasn't the mayor said this already. Why hasn't he acted? Is he in the thrall etc...]

[Subtext 2: We are right on Gaza, in supporting a rogue right wing extremist government in slaughtering an ethnic group}

{subtext 3: Its time we had some laws about protests}

{Subtext 4: if you agree with Lee, you can now move to this stance instead, so as not to be accused of racism by the wokerati)
Government doubling down again on 08:48 - Feb 28 with 858 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

It does appear this morning that the real problem here is antisemitic, Islamic (because let's face it you would have to be to care about Gaza) protesters and the press are more than happy to make that the story.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Government doubling down again on 09:09 - Feb 28 with 797 viewsNthQldITFC

Chrs Plop (or whichever Fiennes he thinks he is) was saying on R4 that good old James Notso was saying that there have been such a lot of these protests, and they've cost £25m to police (which is more than a tenth of what poor Baroness Mone had to settle for in her trawl of the public coffers!) they've made their point (we know they're dying) - but "no, no, no, we're not asking them to stop protesting!"

He also floated the turd in today's T*ry trench on 30p's vomit: not just wrong now, but wrong to conflate Islamism with wider Muslim community (but I didn't say Islamophobic) - it's just not fair.

And "Please don't defect to Reform you lovely racists, your T*ry party needs you."

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Government doubling down again on 09:10 - Feb 28 with 799 viewsDJR

Government doubling down again on 08:48 - Feb 28 by BanksterDebtSlave

It does appear this morning that the real problem here is antisemitic, Islamic (because let's face it you would have to be to care about Gaza) protesters and the press are more than happy to make that the story.

Abuse of MPs on both sides has been an issue for a long time on all sorts of issues, and minority and women MPs have suffered unduly, so making this issue about abuse from one particular quarter does not seem right to me.

As it is, this is what Dawn Butler said the other day, but abuse such as this does not appear to be of any concern to the Government.

“I have had to seek extra police support this weekend due to the far-right abuse that I have suffered inspired and unleashed in part by the conspiracy theory, the racist, Islamophobic, anti-Muslim hate peddled by members for Ashfield (Mr Anderson), Fareham (Mrs Braverman) and South West Norfolk (Ms Truss).”

She added: “Does the minster agree that there is no place in this House or society for such divisive language? One member has had the whip removed, does the minister agree that other members should have the whip removed or does the minister agree with those points made?”
[Post edited 28 Feb 9:11]
Government doubling down again on 09:20 - Feb 28 with 757 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

All part of their election campaign, these are not ‘mistakes’ but an attempt to appeal to those that would otherwise vote for Reform party. You’d think however that a handful of people aren’t going to improve their electoral fortunes (unless I’m underestimating how many people that is…).
Government doubling down again on 09:23 - Feb 28 with 746 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Government doubling down again on 09:20 - Feb 28 by SuperKieranMcKenna

All part of their election campaign, these are not ‘mistakes’ but an attempt to appeal to those that would otherwise vote for Reform party. You’d think however that a handful of people aren’t going to improve their electoral fortunes (unless I’m underestimating how many people that is…).

52% give or take a few....

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Government doubling down again on 09:35 - Feb 28 with 709 viewspointofblue

What I don't get from this approach is far more people will defect to Labour than Reform so, to win an election, or at least hold up in the vote, surely they're the ones to target?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Government doubling down again on 09:35 - Feb 28 with 702 viewsBlueschev

Whilst I agree with your point, I think that with many of them it is less calculated and more that they are just nasty, ignorant, incompetent people.

Look at that interview with Tom Hunt on the other thread, he can't even brush his hair!
Government doubling down again on 10:53 - Feb 28 with 591 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Government doubling down again on 09:23 - Feb 28 by BanksterDebtSlave

52% give or take a few....

That was nearly six years ago. COVID may have disproportionately impacted their demographic, and opinion polls show that less than 10% of 18-21 year olds support Brexit.

Each year (very approximately) 1.5% of voters leave the earth and 1.5% join the electoral roll. So in the 6 years since the Brexit Referendum, given that the oldest groups supported Brexit more than 60-40 and the youngest oppose it 90-10, you have a net shift from Brexit of -0.75% per year (-0.9% for voter deaths, +0.15% for new pro-Brexit young voters) and a net shift of support for Remain of +0.75% (-0.6% for voter deaths, +1.35% for new pro-Remain voters)

Across 6 years since the Referendum that gives a net -4.5% swing away from the Brexit vote and a +4.5% swing towards Remain.

Referendum result:

51.8% Leave

48.2% Remain

With the demographic changes alone I would project that currently we would be looking at close to:

47.3% Leave

52.7% Remain

That is purely on demographics. A real result would be effected by:

Buyers remorse amongst some who have supported Brexit. Fishing communities, business people, many farmers.

The subsequent tarnishing of the image, or death, of many of the politicians who supported Brexit: Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Lord Lawson, Peter Bone, Mark Francois, Andrew Bridgen.

Failure of Brexit to deliver an end to "uncontrolled migration".

The total acceptance that Turkey are not going to join the EU, and millions of Turks are not "going to come over here, stealing our jobs".

The exposure of the £350 million to the NHS per week bus lie.

The experience of having to pay for a Visa for each person going to Spain this summer will also have an impact.

I'm having flashbacks...

Anyway, the point I'm making is that the 52% you refer to (it never was 52%, only ever 51.8%) is now at most 47.3% because of demographics and the inexorable effect of time.

And the logical conclusion of that is that one of the two big parties standing on a Return/Rejoin platform will be a likelihood at the General Election after next. Don't be surprised if it is the Tories who see it as the reinvention that could get them back into power, and the simplest route to economic growth.
Login to get fewer ads

Government doubling down again on 11:15 - Feb 28 with 553 viewsDJR

Government doubling down again on 09:35 - Feb 28 by pointofblue

What I don't get from this approach is far more people will defect to Labour than Reform so, to win an election, or at least hold up in the vote, surely they're the ones to target?

In addition, scapegoating Muslims because they oppose the war in Gaza may not have any effect on the majority of people in the UK who, according to polls, want an immediate ceasefire.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024