Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Team for tonight then? 08:00 - Feb 20 with 2538 viewstractorboy1978

I'd say, lets get the game won and then we can worry about 'resting' players.

Hladky

Clarke Woolfy Burgess Davis

Morsy Luongo

Burns Chaplin Broadhead

Moore
Team for tonight then? on 08:03 - Feb 20 with 2194 viewsMetal_Hacker

Some legs will need resting from Saturday and as per the away fixture I think we’ll see Axel thrown in to rest Clarke .Perhaps rest Broady for the weekend as he’s not normally a 3 game a week man either

Hladky

Tuanzebe Woolfy Burgess Davis

Morsy Travis

Burns Chaplin Hutchinson

Moore

Poll: If it were one or the other

Team for tonight then? on 08:05 - Feb 20 with 2186 viewsMillsTash

Agreed. A lot of talk from some people about resting and rotating players which is unnecessary and shows arrogance. There’s no easy 3 points in the championship. We drew to these lot people seem to forget. Start the same 11 unless injury.
[Post edited 20 Feb 8:06]
Team for tonight then? on 08:10 - Feb 20 with 2128 viewsGeoffSentence

Team for tonight then? on 08:05 - Feb 20 by MillsTash

Agreed. A lot of talk from some people about resting and rotating players which is unnecessary and shows arrogance. There’s no easy 3 points in the championship. We drew to these lot people seem to forget. Start the same 11 unless injury.

If only we'd had the option to be arrogant in 1981 we may well have ended up double or treble winners.

Which is to say it is not at all arrogant to use the full extent of your squad.

Keeps players fresh.

Keeps players happy.

Keeps the team winning.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Team for tonight then? on 08:13 - Feb 20 with 2102 viewsArchiRob

Not sure it's arrogance to assume the manager may opt to use the squads full depth to manage fatigue and injuries of the players and its a bit of fun to guess the squad in advance.
Team for tonight then? on 08:22 - Feb 20 with 2054 viewsMillsTash

Team for tonight then? on 08:13 - Feb 20 by ArchiRob

Not sure it's arrogance to assume the manager may opt to use the squads full depth to manage fatigue and injuries of the players and its a bit of fun to guess the squad in advance.

Fatigue and injuries absolutely do the necessary but some are suggesting 3/4 players come in because it’s Rotherham.
Team for tonight then? on 08:24 - Feb 20 with 2021 viewsMetal_Hacker

Team for tonight then? on 08:22 - Feb 20 by MillsTash

Fatigue and injuries absolutely do the necessary but some are suggesting 3/4 players come in because it’s Rotherham.

Luongo looked leggy at Swansea, Clarke carrying this Achilles issue and Broady isn’t a 3 game player as per previous experience

Think the team picks itself from there for me

Not arrogance , it’s giving us the best opportunity this week for 9 points

Poll: If it were one or the other

Team for tonight then? on 09:06 - Feb 20 with 1884 viewsMookamoo

Hladky

Tuanzebe Woolfenden Burgess Davis

Morsy Luongo

Burns Chaplin Sarmiento

Moore

Maybe they'll play Travis & Broadhead, but I can't see them changing both Luongo & Broadhead

Clarke has been excellent, but needs to rest up before something goes pop
Team for tonight then? on 09:11 - Feb 20 with 1846 viewsBiGDonnie

At this point in the season I think we go full strength where we can, which is...
Hladky
Clarke Woolf Burgess Leif
Morsy Luongo
Hutch Chappers B'head
Moore

But that changes with niggles/tiredness, and we pretty much have like for like replacements all over the pitch. I think we'll see Tanz and Travis in for Clarke and Luongo but I don't know the fitness of everyone.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Team for tonight then? on 09:17 - Feb 20 with 1813 viewsGlasgowBlue

Team for tonight then? on 08:22 - Feb 20 by MillsTash

Not because it’s Rotherham. Because we are playing two games a week, Saturday’s pitch was very heavy and we have a few players that rarely play every game during these busy periods. Clarke, Luongo and Broadhead. If we had Brandon Williams back to full fitness then Davis wouldn’t be playing the amount of minutes that he has lately.

It would be madness to run these players into the ground.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Team for tonight then? on 09:26 - Feb 20 with 1757 viewsitfcjoe

I think, bar them being injured, or properly needing a rest, the following players play every game

Hladky

Clarke
Woolf
Burgess
Davis

Morsy
xxxxx

xxxxx
xxxxx
xxxxx

Moore

Luongo may need managing a bit, and Travis can step in for him - tonight may be a game for that.

In the 3 behind the striker, you'll always go with at least one of Chaplin or Burns. Broadhead when he is fit and durable enough to start. And then you just go with who is in best form to fill the other 1-2 spots in there.

I'd probably go Hutchinson and Chaplin tonight ahead of Burns after the week Hhutchinson has had where he has had 2 very good performances from the start

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Team for tonight then? on 09:32 - Feb 20 with 1715 viewsGuthrum

I think it's only arrogance if the options for rotation are markedly inferior. I'm not sure they are in the case of Town's current squad.

McKenna seems to operate a system much more like the Rugby Union concept of "starters" and "finishers" than the traditional concept of a first team and lower rated substitutes*.

Take up top: The alternative to Kieffer Moore is a player with 12 international caps of his own. Sarmiento starting and Hutchinson coming off the bench is hardly a downgrade.

* That, for me, is one of our great strengths. The team can go full bore for an hour or so, then switch to another set of forwards just as good, with licence to go berserk for the remainder of the game. With the opposition having to make defensive changes to shore things up.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Team for tonight then? on 09:33 - Feb 20 with 1712 viewsKieran_Knows

Hladky
Clarke Woolfenden Burgess Davis
Morsy Travis
Burns Chaplin Sarmiento
Moore

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Team for tonight then? on 09:33 - Feb 20 with 1701 viewsVic

Team for tonight then? on 08:03 - Feb 20 by Metal_Hacker

Some legs will need resting from Saturday and as per the away fixture I think we’ll see Axel thrown in to rest Clarke .Perhaps rest Broady for the weekend as he’s not normally a 3 game a week man either

Hladky

Tuanzebe Woolfy Burgess Davis

Morsy Travis

Burns Chaplin Hutchinson

Moore

You make an interesting point about Broady - only played more than 3 games on the trot once this season. So maybe he needs a rest. Clarke has been brilliant the last couple of games, but has this achilles thing so yes, agree, rest him. I mean Axel isn't a bad replacement is he!! A Mass - yep agreed. Other than that, keep it the same and if we happen to have the game in the bag by HT then get some subs on. But I'm not keen on taking Donny for granted.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Team for tonight then? on 09:33 - Feb 20 with 1704 viewstractorboy1978

Team for tonight then? on 09:17 - Feb 20 by GlasgowBlue

Not because it’s Rotherham. Because we are playing two games a week, Saturday’s pitch was very heavy and we have a few players that rarely play every game during these busy periods. Clarke, Luongo and Broadhead. If we had Brandon Williams back to full fitness then Davis wouldn’t be playing the amount of minutes that he has lately.

It would be madness to run these players into the ground.

It is because it's Rotherham. If we were playing West Brom tonight people wouldn't be calling for players to be rested.

I remember people talking about resting players against Port Vale at home last season ahead of two big games against Peterborough and Barnsley. Fortunately we didn't (bar Hirst) and we just about managed to get through that game.

But McKenna and the fitness team obviously know more than we do and I back them whatever they choose.
[Post edited 20 Feb 9:37]
Team for tonight then? on 09:36 - Feb 20 with 1689 viewsDubtractor

Team for tonight then? on 09:33 - Feb 20 by Kieran_Knows

Hladky
Morsy Travis
Burns Chaplin Sarmiento
Moore

That would be my selection for tonight.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Team for tonight then? on 09:44 - Feb 20 with 1639 viewstractorboy1978

Team for tonight then? on 09:32 - Feb 20 by Guthrum

I think it's only arrogance if the options for rotation are markedly inferior. I'm not sure they are in the case of Town's current squad.

McKenna seems to operate a system much more like the Rugby Union concept of "starters" and "finishers" than the traditional concept of a first team and lower rated substitutes*.

Take up top: The alternative to Kieffer Moore is a player with 12 international caps of his own. Sarmiento starting and Hutchinson coming off the bench is hardly a downgrade.

* That, for me, is one of our great strengths. The team can go full bore for an hour or so, then switch to another set of forwards just as good, with licence to go berserk for the remainder of the game. With the opposition having to make defensive changes to shore things up.

It's not necessarily about quality but style. Tuanzebe is not a like for like replacement for Clarke and it changes the way we play.

I'd agree with Joe's assessment above albeit I'd probably put Luongo in the category of needs to start every game he physically can too.
Team for tonight then? on 09:51 - Feb 20 with 1592 viewsBiGDonnie

Team for tonight then? on 09:33 - Feb 20 by Kieran_Knows

Hladky
Morsy Travis
Burns Chaplin Sarmiento
Moore

You'd start Moore yeah

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Team for tonight then? on 09:52 - Feb 20 with 1587 viewsGuthrum

Team for tonight then? on 09:44 - Feb 20 by tractorboy1978

It's not necessarily about quality but style. Tuanzebe is not a like for like replacement for Clarke and it changes the way we play.

I'd agree with Joe's assessment above albeit I'd probably put Luongo in the category of needs to start every game he physically can too.

I think McKenna is happy to tweak the team make-up in order to vary the style a bit depending upon the opponent.

Above all, we don't want to risk not winning, momentum is extremely important in what Town is trying to achieve.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Team for tonight then? on 09:59 - Feb 20 with 1542 viewsDubtractor

Team for tonight then? on 09:44 - Feb 20 by tractorboy1978

I would only ideally play Tuanzebe at RB in emergencies, as it has a big impact on how we play. We saw that at Stoke.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Team for tonight then? on 10:56 - Feb 20 with 1346 viewspointofblue

Hladky
Tuanzebe - Woolfenden - Burgess - Davis
Morsy - Travis
Burns - Chaplin - Sarmiento
Moore

Subs: Walton, Edmundson, Humphreys, Luongo, Harness, Hutchinson, Broadhead, Jackson, Al-Hamadi

If Clarke is deemed fit enough to start I can see Tuanzebe or Edmundson replacing Woolfenden, considering the latter didn't start at Rotherham.

I thought Davis looked tired in the second half against Swansea, would say it was his poorest game since his debut, but we have very few options there.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Team for tonight then? (n/t) on 11:02 - Feb 20 with 1315 viewscressi

Team for tonight then? on 11:02 - Feb 20 with 1316 viewsNazemariner

I think we'll see a few changes tonight, but then what do I know

Hladkey

Davis
Burgess
Tuanzebe
Clarke

Morsy
Travis

Sarmiento
Chaplin
Burns

Moore
Team for tonight then? on 11:04 - Feb 20 with 1299 viewscressi

Agree start with what is widely regarded as our best 11 although Hutchinson is in the frame recently.
Make the subs early if we have the luxury of a two goal cushion.
Team for tonight then? on 11:16 - Feb 20 with 1253 viewsfranz_tyson

I think some are thinking we can switch players like Clarke for Tuanzebe because its Rotherham. We need the 3 points and we shouldn't underestimate them. I'd go strong and try and keep the defence intact. Travis in for a leggy Mass and maybe Burns back for Hutch ( who looked knackered in the second half on Saturday).
Really can't remember Tuanzebe having a good game for us and need to get Williams ready.
Team for tonight then? on 11:42 - Feb 20 with 1151 viewsAsa

Nothing to do with arrogance.

Three games in a week is tough going and there is absolutely no point playing the same side and having a load of players playing at 80% of their ability due to fatigue when there are players that are almost as good or as good who could be playing at 100% of theirs.

There is always sensible rotation needed. It might be 2-3 players tonight and similar on Saturday.

But out of the two games, the changes make more sense tonight. We've had a hard fought energy sapping win Saturday on a rugby pitch of a surface in torrential rain. I've got no issue with a few being rested tonight and Saturday's side being back to Swansea.

Hutchison and Burns, Broadhead and Sarmiento etc should be interchangeable based on form. Nobody is saying Jackson starts over Moore, but we have 4-5 players on the bench every week now that arguably are better than players starting, depending on whose opinion you listen to. There is no clear starting 11 even if there is a preferred one currently.

If everyone is fit and can give 100% tonight and then again on Saturday according to the experts then great. Don't make any changes. But McKenna involves the squad because it's the key to keeping everyone part of the group and us being succesful.

I'd fully expect to at least 3 changes tonight.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024