Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
National League teams anyone.. 17:58 - Feb 14 with 2494 viewsford6600

Do you follow a team? I always look out for Boreham Wood, they punch above their weight with crowds of under a thousand but keep mid table. They have had many good FAC runs to. I expect many of us keep an eye on Chesterfield let's hope PC can get them into the EFL.
National League teams anyone.. on 18:00 - Feb 14 with 2236 viewsMK1

No.
National League teams anyone.. on 18:04 - Feb 14 with 2201 viewssuffolkpoker

Needham market next season.

I played for phoenix and for Needham A’s and vets years ago.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

National League teams anyone.. on 18:12 - Feb 14 with 2172 viewsMiaow

I look out for Braintree Town's results (in the South) as they are my local team, and I also keep an eye on what Colchester are doing, plus Norwich in the hope that they have lost.

⋆⋆⋆ My Ipswich Town quizzes: https://www.jetpunk.com/series/1696326/hinckfords-ipswich-town-quizzes ⋆⋆⋆
Poll: Which of this season’s (outfield) shirts do you most prefer?

National League teams anyone.. on 18:27 - Feb 14 with 2116 viewsford6600

When at school in Boreham Wood saw several times but only once in last few years when they came up to Lowestoft. The Nationsl League is a graveyard of former EFL
teams so a small team like the Wood are doing very well to survive their; for many years they languished in the Isthmian League.
National League teams anyone.. on 18:28 - Feb 14 with 2113 viewsVanSaParody

It's Boreham Wood for me, too

It's where I'm originally from (til 1991 before moving to the midlands)

& I was a player there from 1987 til moving north

I recall, as most pre-season friendlies, included v an Arsenal XI, after one of these, exiting the players entrance to the bombardment of young boys with their dads & mums asking for autographs

Extremely funny they thought I was an Arsenal player!
National League teams anyone.. on 18:43 - Feb 14 with 2088 viewsSwansea_Blue

I used to watch Buckley Town. They’re in the second tier of the Welsh pyramid now and our very own (on loan) Danny Collins played for them as a youngster. No idea what that level is like compared to the National league, but it’s a similar vibe to the smaller NL clubs.

I used to go to Wrexham and Chester quite a bit. I think both were in the 4th tier then though.

I was a footie nut when I was younger and couldn’t watch enough matches, so I’ve always believed in watching and supporting your local team. I even used to watch local park matches if I got to away grounds early. Bristol City was always good for that. I’ve seen some better performances on the next door park than in Ashton Gate over the years!

My old man always kept an eye on the scores for teams like Tamworth and Nuneaton Borough as he was from that area. I’ve kept an eye on them since he passed away, but wouldn’t travel just to watch them. Tamworth are doing well and look on target to get out of the north league this year. Nuneaton have slumped down the leagues and sadly are in the process of being wound up.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

National League teams anyone.. on 18:52 - Feb 14 with 2055 viewsgainsboroughblue

National League teams anyone.. on 18:04 - Feb 14 by suffolkpoker

Needham market next season.

I played for phoenix and for Needham A’s and vets years ago.

Just looked at the Southern League table. They are looking good for promotion I must say.

Is it fair to say they are Suffolk's top non-league side? I'm of an era when Bury and Sudbury were the local giants. Lowestoft were in the Nat League (North I think) a few years ago but seem to have fallen away.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

National League teams anyone.. on 18:54 - Feb 14 with 2049 viewsVanSaParody

National League teams anyone.. on 18:27 - Feb 14 by ford6600

When at school in Boreham Wood saw several times but only once in last few years when they came up to Lowestoft. The Nationsl League is a graveyard of former EFL
teams so a small team like the Wood are doing very well to survive their; for many years they languished in the Isthmian League.

I was at Cowley Hill 1st school, then Lyndhurst middle, & finally Nicholas Hawksmoor (where Tim Sherwood went - I know, he's an ex budgie!)
Login to get fewer ads

National League teams anyone.. on 19:22 - Feb 14 with 1997 viewssuffolkpoker

National League teams anyone.. on 18:52 - Feb 14 by gainsboroughblue

Just looked at the Southern League table. They are looking good for promotion I must say.

Is it fair to say they are Suffolk's top non-league side? I'm of an era when Bury and Sudbury were the local giants. Lowestoft were in the Nat League (North I think) a few years ago but seem to have fallen away.

Needham have been improving for some time. They also have good links with town. Kevin Horlock as manager as they tend to have a couple of young lads also on loan from us.

I seat they beat leiston 5-0 last night and looking good for promotion. I hope they make it and would be lovely to see my home village become the biggest non league club in Suffolk.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

National League teams anyone.. on 19:42 - Feb 14 with 1943 viewsfranz_tyson

Chesterfield. Cookie and Dobs.
National League teams anyone.. on 20:24 - Feb 14 with 1879 viewsjontysnut

Farsley Celtic - National League North

"Bus stop in Leeds, we're just a bus stop in Leeds"
National League teams anyone.. on 20:30 - Feb 14 with 1867 viewsbrazil1982

FC Halifax, used to live nearby and went many times with a good friend who died last year. He'd been a ST holder for 60 years.
Also York as I live there now, but I went in the away end earlier this year for York v FC Halifax. I was also in hhe away end when Needham Market visited in the FA Cup last year.
National League teams anyone.. on 22:21 - Feb 14 with 1780 viewsford6600

National League teams anyone.. on 18:54 - Feb 14 by VanSaParody

I was at Cowley Hill 1st school, then Lyndhurst middle, & finally Nicholas Hawksmoor (where Tim Sherwood went - I know, he's an ex budgie!)

I went to Furzehill (a boy called Margerison went on to Spurs,didnt make 1st team).
Then Hillside (Marilyn? Went there). I left BW in 74, the best Wood player I remember was Colin Franks? a 'Beattie' type. Think he went on to better things. Yes many in BW support Arsenal, their training ground is nearby at London Colney. Well done playing for Wood, ground used to be called Broughinge Road? In my day.Big game was when St Albans City rolled up. Enfield were also a top team.
National League teams anyone.. on 00:10 - Feb 15 with 1730 viewsParisBlue

National League teams anyone.. on 19:22 - Feb 14 by suffolkpoker

Needham have been improving for some time. They also have good links with town. Kevin Horlock as manager as they tend to have a couple of young lads also on loan from us.

I seat they beat leiston 5-0 last night and looking good for promotion. I hope they make it and would be lovely to see my home village become the biggest non league club in Suffolk.

Double edged sword. If promoted they'll end up in the Conference North and some very long and expensive, away trips. Some players may not fancy it and move to other Suffolk teams lower in the pyramid where the distances to games are less.

The allocations to the Conference leadues needs sorting out.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

National League teams anyone.. on 00:15 - Feb 15 with 1721 viewsgainsboroughblue

National League teams anyone.. on 00:10 - Feb 15 by ParisBlue

Double edged sword. If promoted they'll end up in the Conference North and some very long and expensive, away trips. Some players may not fancy it and move to other Suffolk teams lower in the pyramid where the distances to games are less.

I've often wondered if we would be better off splitting the nation by East-West rather than North-South. There are regions that this probably wouldn't help out a huge deal (Hello, Truro, Tiverton etc) but seeing Bishops Stortford and Gloucester in a 'Northern' Division is just weird.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

National League teams anyone.. on 00:21 - Feb 15 with 1713 viewshatch

Leiston are my second team and in recent years have been Suffolk’s second best club. They missed out on National League themselves a few years back to Dulwich Hamlet and I was one of about 30 away fans in Tooting & Mitcham that day.

I find it a little tricky to support them with Darren Eadie as their boss, the Jarvis brothers playing for them and a few of their squad are Norwich fans but they do have Ipswich links too. They have to be punching well above their weight in terms of town size too. Teams like
Tamworth and the West Mids teams must hate travelling over to Leiston on a Tuesday night.

Ideally the Suffolk based teams at that level (now including Sudbury) would be placed in a better geographic region but I actually think the quality is weaker in the midland section compared to South East which we were all in previously.

Good to see Needham doing so well and hope they go up (which looks fairly promising now). Just mad that Leiston have been top 8 for the last few years and Needham could have been relegated last season and suddenly they’ve torn the league apart.
National League teams anyone.. on 05:17 - Feb 15 with 1651 viewsNeedhamChris

As I'm often reminded in these parts..

It's a town not a village.

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

National League teams anyone.. on 08:05 - Feb 15 with 1543 viewsITFC_Forever

Went to quite a few Canvey Island, then Stevenage, then Cambridge games 15-20 years ago as bro-in-law played for them, and still keep an eye on Cambridge's results now, even thought they are now in L1.

These days I keep an eye on Aldershot as I know a couple of people connected with the club, as well as some of Josh Stokes' family.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

National League teams anyone.. on 18:49 - Feb 15 with 1410 viewsVanSaParody

National League teams anyone.. on 22:21 - Feb 14 by ford6600

I went to Furzehill (a boy called Margerison went on to Spurs,didnt make 1st team).
Then Hillside (Marilyn? Went there). I left BW in 74, the best Wood player I remember was Colin Franks? a 'Beattie' type. Think he went on to better things. Yes many in BW support Arsenal, their training ground is nearby at London Colney. Well done playing for Wood, ground used to be called Broughinge Road? In my day.Big game was when St Albans City rolled up. Enfield were also a top team.

Leaving in 74, don't know if Jim Howard was a Wood player then
He was a scout for Watford & invited me there (nothing ever came of it)
His son Matthew I also was at school with, made what turned out to only be 1 professional appearance for Brentford

Marilyn? (I'd have kept that one quiet!) used to live next door but one to me, & in between us was the auntie/uncle of Shirley (Pepsi & Shirley...George Michael's backing singers) wish I'd kept that quiet now!

Often encountered EastEnders actors, once in Superdrug having seen him on a charity Catchphrase the previous eve, saw Peter Dean (Pete Beale) & clicking my fingers, said "oh, it's the bloke off erm... erm... Catchphrase" He did have a grin!

I also recall playing Sunday league on a park behind Barnet's then Underhill, as a goalie, while play was up the other end, who should be walking his dog on the path behind my goal, Bernie Winters & yes, Schnorbitz!
National League teams anyone.. on 20:11 - Feb 15 with 1345 viewsjontysnut

National League teams anyone.. on 00:10 - Feb 15 by ParisBlue

Yes it's Southern loaded. Absurd that South Shields have to travel to Gloucester and Bishops Stortford. Farsley have had to drive past Worcester, in NL South, to get to Gloucester in NL North.
National League teams anyone.. on 10:05 - Feb 16 with 1222 viewsSharkey

Not yet. Next season maybe.
National League teams anyone.. on 10:10 - Feb 16 with 1211 viewsbluefunk

National League teams anyone.. on 05:17 - Feb 15 by NeedhamChris

As I'm often reminded in these parts..

It's a town not a village.

It’s certainly a lot bigger now than it was when I was brought up there. When I played for Needham Market Reserves, the first team played in the SIL Premier, so they’ve come a very long way since then.
National League teams anyone.. on 10:32 - Feb 16 with 1189 views_clive_baker_

National League teams anyone.. on 18:54 - Feb 14 by VanSaParody

Your school days sounds lovely jubbly.
National League teams anyone.. on 14:42 - Feb 16 with 1101 viewsHalf_Idiot

I follow Chesterfield for the obvious reasons plus I work there and drive by the ground every day.

Most of their fans agree that Dobra is far to good for that league.
National League teams anyone.. on 14:44 - Feb 16 with 1094 viewsOsborneOneNil

Weymouth in the National South, as I live there and played for them.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024