Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Body Language 18:49 - Feb 11 with 2193 viewsLusor

While admiring Luke Woolfenden for being a fine example of a loyal, home-grown player, his recent low ratings are indicative that something is not right. Recognising that all players make mistakes, I'm more concerned about his body language and movement with rhe ball at his feet. Walking slowly forward and putting his foot on the ball is sending the wrong message to the rest of the team. Apart from the fact that it gives the opposition the opportunity to close down our other defensive players, it deflates the midfield and the front runners, frustrates the fans and takes away the opportunity for a quick attacking break.. Momentum and impetus are thus replaced by 'patience', safe sideways passing, and a dangerous press from the opposition forwards. When it breaks down on the halfway line we are then stretched by fast and dangerous counter attacks.
Wolfie must think and act more quickly, raise the pace of his game and change both his mindset and body language. He could then be a great player.
Body Language on 18:53 - Feb 11 with 2129 viewsitfcjoe

This style is what McKenna wants him to do, I’m sure the rest of the team are aware of this and not frustrated by it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

"La Pausa".... on 18:54 - Feb 11 with 2122 viewsBloots

....we've been doing it for 18 months now.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Body Language on 19:00 - Feb 11 with 2064 viewsChurchman

Sorry, I don’t see that at all. I think he is measured and assured. Lots to learn, makes the odd mistake, even has the odd poor game but hell, he’s human. Plenty to praise. One of the early names on the team sheet for me.

I think he could easily play in the PL, he’s that good.
"La Pausa".... on 19:03 - Feb 11 with 2053 viewsbournemouthblue

"La Pausa".... on 18:54 - Feb 11 by Bloots

It's a strange time to question the style, we do slow the tempo at times when building from the back, it frustrates me at times when the momentum has gone our way and we are in control

I like to keep going at the oppo, wave after always but that's the choice McKenna has made

Where the poster is right is that Wolfy is a bit off it at the moment and think some of that is down to be needing to be a bit nastier. The first goal, he could have wiped Fellowes out before it bounced and taken a yellow. A bigger nastier centre back would have done that, even if it was a yellow.

He's a very good footballing centre back but it's the dirtier more ruthless side of the game which he needs to get better at

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

"La Pausa".... on 19:09 - Feb 11 with 2002 viewsibbleobble

Wolfenden has been doing it his whole career!
Body Language on 19:13 - Feb 11 with 1984 viewsMullet

He could scratch his balls and sniff his fingers all game if he wants for all I care. He's quality and doing exactly what he's sposed to.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Body Language on 19:13 - Feb 11 with 1982 viewsSheffordBlue

It's a deliberate ploy that even has it's own name if you're into that kind of thing. He's been coached into doing 'La Pausa' more and more since McKenna took over. It's designed to draw opposition players in so that when the ball is released we have a man over.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Body Language on 19:16 - Feb 11 with 1947 viewsSitfcB

Body Language on 19:13 - Feb 11 by Mullet

He could scratch his balls and sniff his fingers all game if he wants for all I care. He's quality and doing exactly what he's sposed to.

Just a shame he didn’t jump through his man yesterday and try and head the ball away, but that’s not really his game.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Login to get fewer ads

Body Language on 19:18 - Feb 11 with 1923 viewsMullet

Body Language on 19:16 - Feb 11 by SitfcB

Just a shame he didn’t jump through his man yesterday and try and head the ball away, but that’s not really his game.

I'd rather have all the games without errors if it means we have to take stuff like that.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Body Language on 19:19 - Feb 11 with 1911 viewsMookamoo

Cometh the sticky patch, cometh the critism of Woolfenden being too casual.
Body Language on 19:23 - Feb 11 with 1877 viewsSitfcB

Body Language on 19:18 - Feb 11 by Mullet

I'd rather have all the games without errors if it means we have to take stuff like that.

Oh of course. I was being a tad facetious. It’s never going to be perfect 100% of the time.

For balance though, Chaplin should’ve scored that chance! Seen him score many like that.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Body Language on 19:29 - Feb 11 with 1820 viewsJ2BLUE

He's literally doing as he has been told to do.

This is the modern game and it has served us well so far.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Body Language on 19:36 - Feb 11 with 1778 viewsSwansea_Blue

You don’t expect an Irish Setter to run around yapping at everything like a Yorkshire Terrier. That’s all I’m saying.

(and I’m wondering if I’ve managed a first by comparing him to dog breeds. I was going to go with Rolls Royce, but that seemed too clichéd).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Body Language on 19:38 - Feb 11 with 1760 viewsjayessess

Body Language on 19:16 - Feb 11 by SitfcB

Think he's pretty aggressive in those challenges at times. I think we do get all the centre backs to focus on trying to actually win possession rather than just clear the ball, which sometimes will get you into trouble (but has a positive effect overall).

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Body Language on 20:00 - Feb 11 with 1658 viewshomer_123

Of course, what he could so is play an early pass like Ed did for Harness on Saturday.

There is a reason Woolf stays on the ball - a pass isn't always immediately available.

But hey....

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

"La Pausa".... on 20:01 - Feb 11 with 1649 viewshomer_123

Only works is you say it in an Essex accent.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Body Language on 20:04 - Feb 11 with 1643 viewsNutkins_Return

This is such a a frustrating post. McKenna has covered this himself several times. Our keepers do it as well. It's about drawing players in and creating space and effectively trying to stop and man for man situation for defending team. He's not slowing the game down, he's forcing the opposition to close and then we move and find space.
Body Language on 20:41 - Feb 11 with 1524 viewslazyblue

It’s the way we play, get over it.
Body Language on 20:51 - Feb 11 with 1484 viewspointofblue

Body Language on 20:04 - Feb 11 by Nutkins_Return

This is such a a frustrating post. McKenna has covered this himself several times. Our keepers do it as well. It's about drawing players in and creating space and effectively trying to stop and man for man situation for defending team. He's not slowing the game down, he's forcing the opposition to close and then we move and find space.

And his role is probably the most pressurised and difficult in the team. To be confident enough to hold on to the ball, allow strikers to close him down to narrow the angle then be able to pass the ball out, finding the right option when the wrong choice will more often than not result in a goal. If anything his defensive choices at times is where my issue lies with him, not his distribution.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Body Language on 21:40 - Feb 11 with 1335 viewstextbackup

Wolfs old man taking to Twitter in 3, 2, 1…

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Body Language on 21:58 - Feb 11 with 1263 viewsHalifaxBlue

While most people have covered this here, I just thought I'd add -

The technique of using this body language is so commonplace in coaching these days that it actually has a name - "la pausa". You can see it in pretty well any top level match now.

Not only is not Woolf's choice, it is fundamental to the way we play. Inviting players to press the defence isn't a drawback - it is the whole purpose. I promise you, the midfielders are not deflated by it - quite the opposite. It is what gives them the time and space behind the first line of the opposition press to play on the half turn.

If Woolf didn't do it, Woolf would be dropped and someone else would do it.

Poll: Hurst or Ross, discounting any other candidates?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024