Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... 20:12 - Feb 4 with 4505 viewseddiespearitt03

The big question will be if we can beat Southampton at home on April Fools Day.

We have to keep Kieffer Moore injury free.
Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 20:16 - Feb 4 with 3371 viewsWestSussexBlue

Indeed, and I alluded to their fixtures in another post earlier. They’ve had a terrific run of form but in comparison to our fixtures, they’ve had a pretty reasonable run.
[Post edited 5 Feb 7:54]
Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 20:39 - Feb 4 with 3296 viewsStewart27

We just need to keep in the race against the lesser teams until then otherwise it’s all irrelevant.

Something we’ve struggled to do lately.
Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 20:49 - Feb 4 with 3246 viewspointofblue

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 20:39 - Feb 4 by Stewart27

We just need to keep in the race against the lesser teams until then otherwise it’s all irrelevant.

Exactly. No point beating them on April's Fools Day if we only win one of the next eight.

We say Southampton had a decent run of games to build up their form. Our run before Southampton is West Brom, Millwall, Swansea, Rotherham, Birmingham, Plymouth, Bristol City, Cardiff, Wednesday, Blackburn. No excuses, the Baggies aside.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 21:31 - Feb 4 with 3156 viewsElderGrizzly

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 20:39 - Feb 4 by Stewart27

Our run (on paper) after West Brom is encouraging for a better series of results

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 21:36 - Feb 4 with 3125 viewspointofblue

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 21:31 - Feb 4 by ElderGrizzly

Our run (on paper) after West Brom is encouraging for a better series of results

If the team performs like the second half against Leicester, then we have a great chance. First half at Preston? We'll limp to sixth.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 21:40 - Feb 4 with 3127 viewsLankHenners

I do fear that the relegated teams are just too strong but one thing we can look at with some hope is that Southampton, while going on a brilliant run, have played an awful lot of fodder. They've still got to play all 4 of the other teams in the top 5 away from home and play quite a few others in the top 10. I think they'll still win most of them but we're entering an easier run on paper so if we can outmatch a couple of their results and beat them ourselves we can overtake them.

Leeds have a similarly pretty stupidly strong team for the level but do get some iffy results away, and if (and it may be a big if) we beat West Brom we're ahead of them again anyway and hopefully can use this run of games to put a bit of distance there again.

Can't see it going any other way than right down to the wire, just have to hope we're still amongst it come the final day.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 22:25 - Feb 4 with 3013 viewseddiespearitt03

....and we have to adjust our game and play to Kieffer Moores strength...in the air. So more quality crosses please .
Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 01:24 - Feb 5 with 2878 viewsITFCSG

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 21:40 - Feb 4 by LankHenners

I do fear that the relegated teams are just too strong but one thing we can look at with some hope is that Southampton, while going on a brilliant run, have played an awful lot of fodder. They've still got to play all 4 of the other teams in the top 5 away from home and play quite a few others in the top 10. I think they'll still win most of them but we're entering an easier run on paper so if we can outmatch a couple of their results and beat them ourselves we can overtake them.

Leeds have a similarly pretty stupidly strong team for the level but do get some iffy results away, and if (and it may be a big if) we beat West Brom we're ahead of them again anyway and hopefully can use this run of games to put a bit of distance there again.

Can't see it going any other way than right down to the wire, just have to hope we're still amongst it come the final day.

Problem is with our current form we struggle to beat the fodder - hopefully I will be proven wrong, we will find out in the next 2 weeks.
Login to get fewer ads

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 10:10 - Feb 5 with 2611 viewsAlberto_the_frog

Leeds draw with Southampton on last day and we beat Huddersfield to leap frog them both into 2nd place.
Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 10:22 - Feb 5 with 2578 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I don't buy this easier run of fixtures stuff. In our last 8 games we have failed to beat Stoke, QPR and Preston.

We still have to play West Brom Norwich Coventry Hull Boro all teams who are scrapping for 6th and need wins as much as we do.

The big question is, can we start a run of wins again, regardless of who it is against

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 11:30 - Feb 5 with 2461 viewsfranz_tyson

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 10:22 - Feb 5 by TRUE_BLUE123

I don't buy this easier run of fixtures stuff. In our last 8 games we have failed to beat Stoke, QPR and Preston.

We still have to play West Brom Norwich Coventry Hull Boro all teams who are scrapping for 6th and need wins as much as we do.

The big question is, can we start a run of wins again, regardless of who it is against

Yes, exactly. Forget about forecasting results far from now for us and others.... and let's hope we can start getting some results together in the next few games.
Coming into December I heard or read comments about how all we needed was mid-table form to hold on to second place with a 10 point lead. That was utter bollox.
Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 11:34 - Feb 5 with 2440 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 11:30 - Feb 5 by franz_tyson

Yes, exactly. Forget about forecasting results far from now for us and others.... and let's hope we can start getting some results together in the next few games.
Coming into December I heard or read comments about how all we needed was mid-table form to hold on to second place with a 10 point lead. That was utter bollox.

Same with people say Southampton fixtures get tougher. I mean maybe. But they are also vastly superior to all of those teams as well when you look player for player.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 11:36 - Feb 5 with 2431 viewstractorboy1978

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 11:34 - Feb 5 by TRUE_BLUE123

Same with people say Southampton fixtures get tougher. I mean maybe. But they are also vastly superior to all of those teams as well when you look player for player.

It's just true though that away trips to Leicester, Leeds, West Brom and us are 4 of the toughest games of the season.
Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 11:37 - Feb 5 with 2422 viewsHerbivore

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 11:34 - Feb 5 by TRUE_BLUE123

There's no maybe about it. Their remaining 17 games are a tougher set of fixtures than their last 17 games have been. They may well still storm through them and if they do they'll deserve to go up but it's not going to be easy for them.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 12:05 - Feb 5 with 2338 viewsPilgrimblue

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 11:37 - Feb 5 by Herbivore

There's no maybe about it. Their remaining 17 games are a tougher set of fixtures than their last 17 games have been. They may well still storm through them and if they do they'll deserve to go up but it's not going to be easy for them.

I quite agree Herbi. If they are now at a higher level it wont matter who they play.
Our problem is loss of form that can't magically be recovered. Teams have undoubtedly planned how to beat us and while Preston got the rub of the green any more performances like that 1st half and we'll struggle to hold on to top 6.
What worries me is that players like Chaplin Burns are just shooting anywhere and while the stats look good the goal tally is v poor compared to early form. Moore is big plus but just sending over any old crosses isn't going to work. He'll get fed up if the deliveries are poor.
Burns must get by his fb more often and that means help from CC who seems too casual with his passing and therefore giving easy wins for any defence.
One question I would like to ask KM is why do we give possession away straight from kick off. Surely better to pass from midfield and get into a better control rather than see ball played long. It may work better now we have two taller forwards but to me it just gives the ball away!!
Also is it time for Walton to return (maybe)? He was clearly a better keeper before his injury and with another mistake at weekend it's time to change!
Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 12:09 - Feb 5 with 2294 viewsSomethingBlue

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 12:05 - Feb 5 by Pilgrimblue

I quite agree Herbi. If they are now at a higher level it wont matter who they play.
Our problem is loss of form that can't magically be recovered. Teams have undoubtedly planned how to beat us and while Preston got the rub of the green any more performances like that 1st half and we'll struggle to hold on to top 6.
What worries me is that players like Chaplin Burns are just shooting anywhere and while the stats look good the goal tally is v poor compared to early form. Moore is big plus but just sending over any old crosses isn't going to work. He'll get fed up if the deliveries are poor.
Burns must get by his fb more often and that means help from CC who seems too casual with his passing and therefore giving easy wins for any defence.
One question I would like to ask KM is why do we give possession away straight from kick off. Surely better to pass from midfield and get into a better control rather than see ball played long. It may work better now we have two taller forwards but to me it just gives the ball away!!
Also is it time for Walton to return (maybe)? He was clearly a better keeper before his injury and with another mistake at weekend it's time to change!

Some fair points to debate but let's not complain about things that haven't happened yet – don't think Davis sent "any old cross" over to Moore on Saturday, it was quite beautifully stood up exactly where he would need it. If we do that even once every couple of games then, where Moore is concerned, we're laughing.
[Post edited 5 Feb 12:11]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 12:10 - Feb 5 with 2289 viewsLankHenners

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 10:22 - Feb 5 by TRUE_BLUE123

Obviously anything can happen and all teams are capable of losing games that look like certain wins on paper but objectively the 9 games after West Brom are a golden opportunity to put a string of wins together.

The games against those 9 teams in the respective reverse fixtures have seen us win 7 and draw 2, with most of those wins done fairly comfortably (in performance if not necessarily scoreline). Naturally the away ones will be a bit tougher than it was at PR but equally the likes of Cardiff and Blackburn aren't performing as well as they were when we last played them.

FWIW I agree about the end of the run-in - those away games at Coventry and Hull back-to-back could make or break autos for us if we're still in the picture by then, though Saints vs Leeds on the final day is huge and the latter have to go to Boro and Coventry in their final 6 as well.

Think the best we can hope for (and it is more hope than expectation for me) is that we go into the final game knowing a win could see us finish 2nd. I can't see us being any clearer than that and I think it's probably more likely that at best we'll be wishing on a specific result elsewhere.

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 12:35 - Feb 5 with 2207 viewsitfcjoe

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 12:10 - Feb 5 by LankHenners

Obviously anything can happen and all teams are capable of losing games that look like certain wins on paper but objectively the 9 games after West Brom are a golden opportunity to put a string of wins together.

The games against those 9 teams in the respective reverse fixtures have seen us win 7 and draw 2, with most of those wins done fairly comfortably (in performance if not necessarily scoreline). Naturally the away ones will be a bit tougher than it was at PR but equally the likes of Cardiff and Blackburn aren't performing as well as they were when we last played them.

FWIW I agree about the end of the run-in - those away games at Coventry and Hull back-to-back could make or break autos for us if we're still in the picture by then, though Saints vs Leeds on the final day is huge and the latter have to go to Boro and Coventry in their final 6 as well.

Think the best we can hope for (and it is more hope than expectation for me) is that we go into the final game knowing a win could see us finish 2nd. I can't see us being any clearer than that and I think it's probably more likely that at best we'll be wishing on a specific result elsewhere.

We also know we have the mentality to get over the line from this position too as we can point to last season - win on Saturday then get the results we can do from the following 9 and we'll e going into the last 7 games in second place and can use what we know we have in the squad to get over the line

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 12:56 - Feb 5 with 2133 viewsHerbivore

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 12:05 - Feb 5 by Pilgrimblue

We went through a very similar dip last season and we went on to storm our last 16 games. We've shown we're able to bounce back well from setbacks.

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 12:58 - Feb 5 with 2121 viewsLankHenners

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 12:35 - Feb 5 by itfcjoe

We also know we have the mentality to get over the line from this position too as we can point to last season - win on Saturday then get the results we can do from the following 9 and we'll e going into the last 7 games in second place and can use what we know we have in the squad to get over the line

Yes that's true, and while I know people say 'well we didn't beat QPR or Stoke', the teams we put out for those games were far from full strength (both the team sheet itself and most of the players having to play after chucking their guts up days and even hours beforehand) - put Kieffer Moore up front for both of them and we win them both let's be honest.

The one concern for me, as I said, is that Leeds and Southampton have ridiculously strong teams for the division and won't drop many points so we'll have to be near perfect but I don't think that's completely out of our reach.

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 17:17 - Feb 5 with 1915 viewsVic

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 21:40 - Feb 4 by LankHenners

Can’t disagree with any of that. It really will be a remarkable achievement if we’re anywhere near the relegated teams at the end of the season.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 17:25 - Feb 5 with 1881 viewsFrimleyBlue

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 11:37 - Feb 5 by Herbivore

I think we will end up above southamton.
But leeds run in bar that last game is 9 of the bottom 10 clubs. It was always gonna be leeds 2nd place to Lose imo.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 17:28 - Feb 5 with 1870 viewstractorboy1978

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 17:25 - Feb 5 by FrimleyBlue

I think we will end up above southamton.
But leeds run in bar that last game is 9 of the bottom 10 clubs. It was always gonna be leeds 2nd place to Lose imo.

No it isn't.
Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 17:30 - Feb 5 with 1861 views_clive_baker_

While that's true, we ain't finishing top 2. Nor should we be really with the relative squads and budgets compared to Leeds and Saints. I think we're now levelling off after a ridiculous start, and as they say, the league table doesn't tend to lie come the end of the season. As it didn't last year when we overturned Sheffield Wednesday who were objectively a worse side than us.

I would guess we'll finish 4th or 5th, which would be a very good result and excellent 1st season back at this level to be the 'best of the rest' outside of the relegated clubs, or very close to.
Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 17:54 - Feb 5 with 1798 viewsHerbivore

Southampton have to play Leeds & Leicester away... on 17:30 - Feb 5 by _clive_baker_

While that's true, we ain't finishing top 2. Nor should we be really with the relative squads and budgets compared to Leeds and Saints. I think we're now levelling off after a ridiculous start, and as they say, the league table doesn't tend to lie come the end of the season. As it didn't last year when we overturned Sheffield Wednesday who were objectively a worse side than us.

I would guess we'll finish 4th or 5th, which would be a very good result and excellent 1st season back at this level to be the 'best of the rest' outside of the relegated clubs, or very close to.

Nah, we're still well in this. We've had a tough time lately, lots of factors contributing to that, but we're still always in games and if we can get a couple of wins back to back soon I fancy us to go on a decent run again. Saints and Leeds will drop points, Leeds look capable of dropping points most away games to be fair and Saints have a tough run in. I also can't see West Brom overturning an 11 point deficit for us to drop down to 5th.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024