Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So today 06:18 - Jan 31 with 9138 viewschicoazul

We need to sew up a 9 and a left back.
If we don’t, will this be the biggest missed opportunity for the club ever? Certainly since Evans not giving Mick the Mings money to spend after we just missed out in the play offs?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So today on 06:24 - Jan 31 with 4908 viewsfranz_tyson

Can't we do it tomorrow as well?

Bit dramatic.... different to Evans/ Mick as that was a bit of a Evans' one off and this time we should be building season by season ie if we don't do it this season, we'll come back stronger next season.
So today on 06:31 - Jan 31 with 4866 viewsghostofescobar

It does seem that missing out on targets is more because we are fishing in a FFP restricted pool, rather than when it was Evans and he had just stopped wanting to spend anything. I don think missing out on our targets will make much difference i.e. we are likely to end up in the lottery of the play offs whatever, mainly because of the budgets that some of our competitors have.

GhostOfEscobar

So today on 06:49 - Jan 31 with 4745 viewsitfctilidie

Transfer Deadline is tomorrow
So today on 07:01 - Jan 31 with 4670 viewschicoazul

So today on 06:49 - Jan 31 by itfctilidie

Transfer Deadline is tomorrow

Yeah I knew that obviously I meant as in 24 hrs as in today and tomorrow as in 24hr in a day and tomorrow and errrr 👀

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

So today on 07:36 - Jan 31 with 4394 viewsitfctilidie

So today on 07:01 - Jan 31 by chicoazul

Yeah I knew that obviously I meant as in 24 hrs as in today and tomorrow as in 24hr in a day and tomorrow and errrr 👀

haha I must admit I did think it was today as well until about 3 hours ago
So today on 08:19 - Jan 31 with 4123 viewsStokieBlue

An opportunity implies something completely within the control of the club, this is clearly not the case at the moment so seems overly harsh to push this narrative.

They are trying to get players in rather than not making money available.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

So today on 08:35 - Jan 31 with 4019 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

No. We are extraordinarily fortunate to even be in this position (2nd) and are hampered by FFP and a dearth of the type of forwards we want.

If we get the player(s) we want it'll be a bloody miracle and I won't be berating the club if it doesn't happen.

We ought to be more than happy with making the best start to a Championship season of any team ever, anything else is an unexpected bonus.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

So today on 08:38 - Jan 31 with 3988 viewstractorboy1978

So today on 08:35 - Jan 31 by The_Flashing_Smile

No. We are extraordinarily fortunate to even be in this position (2nd) and are hampered by FFP and a dearth of the type of forwards we want.

If we get the player(s) we want it'll be a bloody miracle and I won't be berating the club if it doesn't happen.

We ought to be more than happy with making the best start to a Championship season of any team ever, anything else is an unexpected bonus.

We've ended 2 of the last 3 windows a striker short. We cannot make that 3 of the last 4 windows. It's difficult, of course it is, but we need another striker to give ourselves the best chance of capitalising on our incredible start. That's how the club will be thinking too.
[Post edited 31 Jan 8:39]
Login to get fewer ads

So today on 08:42 - Jan 31 with 3932 viewschicoazul

So today on 08:35 - Jan 31 by The_Flashing_Smile

Being in our current position is nothing to do with luck Jerseys.

So today on 08:47 - Jan 31 with 3870 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

So today on 08:38 - Jan 31 by tractorboy1978

We've ended 2 of the last 3 windows a striker short. We cannot make that 3 of the last 4 windows. It's difficult, of course it is, but we need another striker to give ourselves the best chance of capitalising on our incredible start. That's how the club will be thinking too.
[Post edited 31 Jan 8:39]

Previous windows are irrelevant. All that matters is what we're in now and it'll be extraordinarily difficult to get the exact player we need due to the exact circumstances of this window.

If Gallagher is that player and Blackburn won't sell, what are the club supposed to do?

So today on 08:48 - Jan 31 with 3827 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

So today on 08:42 - Jan 31 by chicoazul

Where did I mention luck?

So today on 08:51 - Jan 31 with 3770 viewsElderGrizzly

Also, getting a loan in for the striker position is not a cheap alternative or McKenna not being backed.

A loan is perfect for what we need given Hirst's injury. We then have the summer to reassess depending on what league we are in.

And of course a loan is likely to be of a higher quality than we could afford on a permanent deal.
So today on 08:52 - Jan 31 with 3770 viewsNthQldITFC

1. Players seem pretty keen to come here.

2. We have a lot of funding available.

3. Ashton works relentlessly to get deals done.

4. We are limited in what we can spend by strict financial fair play rules.

There are numbers bigger than 3. Of course we all know this, but language like 'missed opportunity' is pretty stupid if you are ignoring the rules of physics of the world in which you're living.

"I'd like to cross the Grand Canyon but there isn't a bridge, and I can't find a helicopter to take me. If I don't jump off and flap my arms until I get to the other side, I will surely regret this missed opportunity for ever."

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

So today on 09:01 - Jan 31 with 3685 viewsEuropablue

So today on 08:42 - Jan 31 by chicoazul

You could say that the form of rivals and injuries is where we have been lucky and that luck seems to have run out.
So today on 09:08 - Jan 31 with 3609 viewstractorboy1978

So today on 08:47 - Jan 31 by The_Flashing_Smile

Previous windows are irrelevant. All that matters is what we're in now and it'll be extraordinarily difficult to get the exact player we need due to the exact circumstances of this window.

If Gallagher is that player and Blackburn won't sell, what are the club supposed to do?

It's not irrelevant at all, you learn from previous windows. If Hirst had picked up his injury a couple of months earlier we'd have been absolutely snookered and not in the position we are now. Likewise, if we wouldn't have signed Hirst last January, we would have been far weaker for that run in last season and probably wouldn't have got automatic promotion.

Moore wouldn't be the exact player we need, but he gives us a better chance of promotion than we have at the moment. It won't and shouldn't be Gallagher or nobody. There will be back up options and we need to land one of them if needs be. I've seen a bit of 'we could just go with Jackson' already on here and find it barmy personally.
So today on 09:10 - Jan 31 with 3585 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

So today on 09:01 - Jan 31 by Europablue

You could say that the form of rivals and injuries is where we have been lucky and that luck seems to have run out.

We deserve to be where we are, we haven't been especially lucky (in fact we've been a bit unlucky with some, especially pen, decisions).

But in any case, I didn't say the team's been lucky.

So today on 09:11 - Jan 31 with 3579 viewsCheltenham_Blue

For what feels like the millionth time.

I really disliked Evans, and was one of the few at the beginning who was openly discussing that he was bad for us.

But.

As McCarthy has said himself, he was offered the money to bring players in during that window, but he didn't want to disrupt the squad and so decided not to.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

So today on 09:13 - Jan 31 with 3517 viewsHerbivore

So today on 09:01 - Jan 31 by Europablue

Not sure how we've been lucky in either respect? Our rivals are all doing much, much better than sides in 1st, 3rd and 4th usually do which is making our life difficult. We'd usually be top and have a decent gap to 3rd in most other seasons. Injury wise we've had no better luck than others, we missed Burns for a decent spell, Davis missed a few games, Clarke has been nursing an injury all season, and now Hirst is out for almost the entirety of the season. Our rivals haven't had loads of regular first teamers missing for long spells really.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So today on 09:15 - Jan 31 with 3487 viewschicoazul

So today on 09:10 - Jan 31 by The_Flashing_Smile

We deserve to be where we are, we haven't been especially lucky (in fact we've been a bit unlucky with some, especially pen, decisions).

But in any case, I didn't say the team's been lucky.

You literally said we are extraordinarily fortunate.

So today on 09:17 - Jan 31 with 3467 viewsHerbivore

So today on 08:48 - Jan 31 by The_Flashing_Smile

Where did I mention luck?

Whilst I know what you meant you did say we were extraordinarily fortunate to be in this position. Fortune is a synonym of luck so it would be easy to read your post as suggesting we are lucky to be where we are. I know you mean more that we should feel lucky/fortunate/grateful to be where we are rather than that we've had a lot of luck but I am assuming that is where they're coming from.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So today on 09:18 - Jan 31 with 3455 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

So today on 09:08 - Jan 31 by tractorboy1978

It's not irrelevant at all, you learn from previous windows. If Hirst had picked up his injury a couple of months earlier we'd have been absolutely snookered and not in the position we are now. Likewise, if we wouldn't have signed Hirst last January, we would have been far weaker for that run in last season and probably wouldn't have got automatic promotion.

Moore wouldn't be the exact player we need, but he gives us a better chance of promotion than we have at the moment. It won't and shouldn't be Gallagher or nobody. There will be back up options and we need to land one of them if needs be. I've seen a bit of 'we could just go with Jackson' already on here and find it barmy personally.

What on earth should Ashton/the club "learn from previous windows" they don't already know?!

Regardless of what we did or didn't do in previous windows, this one is particularly hard because of FFP and not many players we want being available. They're just the facts right now and previous windows don't come into it.

Feel free to moan that we didn't try harder in the summer, but that's largely irrelevant right now. You can't get something out of nothing. If the players we want aren't available at the 'within FFP' price we can pay, what do you expect the club to do?

So today on 09:21 - Jan 31 with 3379 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

So today on 09:17 - Jan 31 by Herbivore

Whilst I know what you meant you did say we were extraordinarily fortunate to be in this position. Fortune is a synonym of luck so it would be easy to read your post as suggesting we are lucky to be where we are. I know you mean more that we should feel lucky/fortunate/grateful to be where we are rather than that we've had a lot of luck but I am assuming that is where they're coming from.

Well you have a bit more of a brain in your nut than Chickers.

So today on 09:22 - Jan 31 with 3364 viewstractorboy1978

So today on 09:18 - Jan 31 by The_Flashing_Smile

What on earth should Ashton/the club "learn from previous windows" they don't already know?!

Regardless of what we did or didn't do in previous windows, this one is particularly hard because of FFP and not many players we want being available. They're just the facts right now and previous windows don't come into it.

Feel free to moan that we didn't try harder in the summer, but that's largely irrelevant right now. You can't get something out of nothing. If the players we want aren't available at the 'within FFP' price we can pay, what do you expect the club to do?

Let's wait and have this 'argument' after the window has shut. I am sure we will sign another striker anyway.
So today on 09:28 - Jan 31 with 3301 viewsBseaBlue

So today on 08:51 - Jan 31 by ElderGrizzly

Also, getting a loan in for the striker position is not a cheap alternative or McKenna not being backed.

A loan is perfect for what we need given Hirst's injury. We then have the summer to reassess depending on what league we are in.

And of course a loan is likely to be of a higher quality than we could afford on a permanent deal.

Also add in the fact that should we get promoted, we aren't then stuck with a permanent player that we cannot move on.

I think we all know that should we pull off promotion, we will be shopping in an entirely different market.
So today on 09:29 - Jan 31 with 3296 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

So today on 09:15 - Jan 31 by chicoazul

You literally said we are extraordinarily fortunate.

It's almost like words have different meanings, nuances and contexts within the sentences they're in.

For starters I was referring to us fans being fortunate that our club is second in January following promotion. None of us expected that. That's not remotely saying the team has been lucky on the pitch.

Secondly, fortunate doesn't just mean "lucky".

"auspicious or favourable.
a most fortunate match for our daughter
Similar: favourable, advantageous, providential, auspicious, welcome, heaven-sent, beneficial, propitious, fortuitous, promising, encouraging."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024