Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So today 06:18 - Jan 31 with 9274 viewschicoazul

We need to sew up a 9 and a left back.
If we don’t, will this be the biggest missed opportunity for the club ever? Certainly since Evans not giving Mick the Mings money to spend after we just missed out in the play offs?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So today on 11:26 - Jan 31 with 1688 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

So today on 11:11 - Jan 31 by DanTheMan

I'm sure they are trying their hardest, I have no doubts about that.

I don't think people like myself or Steve would be berating the club if we don't get those players in, we'd just be disappointed.

It's hard to know if things just went wrong outside of our control of course as we aren't privy to discussions.

If we don't get another striker and full back in, I'd be a little disappointed. I was very happy with Al Hamadi as he looks a fantastic prospect, and Travis looks very good as well. So it's not all bad of course.

I just think there is some room for very mild criticism, that's all.

Disappointment, yep. Criticism? What will you be criticising exactly? What would the club not be doing that you think they should?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

So today on 11:28 - Jan 31 with 1668 viewsLion

I don't know why so many fans have downvoted this comment, i myself don't find it offensive unlike some of the comments criticising KM after the Maidstone game
...but Town fans, all you true farkin blue boys, you know, that like Chicozul, we're all stressed to fark wondering if we gonna get in the players we need to do the double bounce all the way to the land of milk and honey. I've been refreshing twtd every 20 minutes since the start of the window.
Its an amazing position we find ourselves in and MA and owners will go to the maximum level we can within FFP to have a good punt at automatic promotion, as long as clubs and agents not looking to mug us off. As fans, that really is all we can ask for, so thanks gamechanger! But it is SO stressful isnt it arghhhh, its too much! i'd love Gallagher and if we COULD get him I would be more than happy, hoping for the best version of Brandon Williams stays with us as well, anything more than that would be incredible. Come on you blueboys, Up The Farkin Towan

Poll: Is Blue Badger ( booooooooooooooo ) a cyber bully?

So today on 11:34 - Jan 31 with 1620 viewsSteve_M

So today on 11:11 - Jan 31 by DanTheMan

I'm sure they are trying their hardest, I have no doubts about that.

I don't think people like myself or Steve would be berating the club if we don't get those players in, we'd just be disappointed.

It's hard to know if things just went wrong outside of our control of course as we aren't privy to discussions.

If we don't get another striker and full back in, I'd be a little disappointed. I was very happy with Al Hamadi as he looks a fantastic prospect, and Travis looks very good as well. So it's not all bad of course.

I just think there is some room for very mild criticism, that's all.

Your bedsheets are still on your bed then Dan?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

So today on 11:36 - Jan 31 with 1590 viewspointofblue

So today on 11:26 - Jan 31 by The_Flashing_Smile

Disappointment, yep. Criticism? What will you be criticising exactly? What would the club not be doing that you think they should?

My only concern - not a criticism - is whether we spent too long focusing on Gallagher rather than moving on to other targets. It seems to be a reoccurring theme with striking options, leading to scrambling Ahadme through the door in the summer of 2022 then Scarlett last summer. Neither really worked within our system, and felt like a case of just getting bodies in. I still wonder if Scarlett may return tomorrow, unless Tottenham are looking to loan him to the MLS.

Hopefully the focus on Gallagher and Johnson will pay off but it’s not looking likely at the moment.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

So today on 11:39 - Jan 31 with 1561 viewsDanTheMan

Not signing the players we needed. Even if we tried our very best and it just didn't happen, in my mind, it's still ok to criticise that it didn't happen.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

So today on 11:39 - Jan 31 with 1554 viewsStokieBlue

So today on 11:36 - Jan 31 by pointofblue

My only concern - not a criticism - is whether we spent too long focusing on Gallagher rather than moving on to other targets. It seems to be a reoccurring theme with striking options, leading to scrambling Ahadme through the door in the summer of 2022 then Scarlett last summer. Neither really worked within our system, and felt like a case of just getting bodies in. I still wonder if Scarlett may return tomorrow, unless Tottenham are looking to loan him to the MLS.

Hopefully the focus on Gallagher and Johnson will pay off but it’s not looking likely at the moment.

Perhaps there aren't a lot of other targets out there that fit the requirements that McKenna has requested?

Most clubs don't really want to sell in Jan unless it's for silly money (see Morgan yesterday).

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

So today on 11:40 - Jan 31 with 1552 viewsDanTheMan

So today on 11:34 - Jan 31 by Steve_M

I was thinking about a Twitter tirade first, before moving onto bedsheets.

So today on 11:42 - Jan 31 with 1518 viewsFrimleyBlue

In an FFP world. You can look at certain things and wonder if they have messed certain things up

For example. Financially. Aluko.. needed? How much.. could that have been better spent on a striker in the summer

Williams.. we don't know 100% if he's injured or not.

If not then its not surprising based on history. So again should we have spent that money better.

Things like that can be critiqued imo.

But also as said before. If a manager gets sacked. The board don't care about the whys.. so it's no different for me in this situation. The manager has made it clear to the ceo what he needs. If he doesn't get it.. then the recruitment team has failed. Doesn't matter why. Managers don't get the same grace so those around them shouldn't either.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

So today on 11:42 - Jan 31 with 1515 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

So today on 11:28 - Jan 31 by Lion

I don't know why so many fans have downvoted this comment, i myself don't find it offensive unlike some of the comments criticising KM after the Maidstone game
...but Town fans, all you true farkin blue boys, you know, that like Chicozul, we're all stressed to fark wondering if we gonna get in the players we need to do the double bounce all the way to the land of milk and honey. I've been refreshing twtd every 20 minutes since the start of the window.
Its an amazing position we find ourselves in and MA and owners will go to the maximum level we can within FFP to have a good punt at automatic promotion, as long as clubs and agents not looking to mug us off. As fans, that really is all we can ask for, so thanks gamechanger! But it is SO stressful isnt it arghhhh, its too much! i'd love Gallagher and if we COULD get him I would be more than happy, hoping for the best version of Brandon Williams stays with us as well, anything more than that would be incredible. Come on you blueboys, Up The Farkin Towan

I think it's just the wording of his post, that it'll be "a missed opportunity", that people are downarrowing. It suggests something deliberate we're not doing that we should be.
[Post edited 31 Jan 11:43]

So today on 11:47 - Jan 31 with 1462 viewspointofblue

So today on 11:39 - Jan 31 by StokieBlue

Perhaps there aren't a lot of other targets out there that fit the requirements that McKenna has requested?

Most clubs don't really want to sell in Jan unless it's for silly money (see Morgan yesterday).

SB

Maybe. But, as said, it seems to be a reoccurring theme when it comes to strikers. Possibly because McKenna’s scheme relies on a very specific kind of player. In comparison, we seem to find it very easy to sign tens and wingers.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

So today on 11:48 - Jan 31 with 1449 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

So today on 11:36 - Jan 31 by pointofblue

Yep, that would be a fair criticism.

Of course we don't actually know what's going on, it is possible to have multiple irons in multiple fires at the same time. I personally think the club will have found out by now the chances of Gallagher, and if they're slim will be looking elsewhere.

So today on 11:50 - Jan 31 with 1427 viewsbluejacko

Sod it I say let’s spend a wedge of money now and then in 6 months time we get deducted 10 points for breaking FFP let’s see if the same people don’t create then!
So today on 11:53 - Jan 31 with 1400 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

So today on 11:39 - Jan 31 by DanTheMan

Not signing the players we needed. Even if we tried our very best and it just didn't happen, in my mind, it's still ok to criticise that it didn't happen.

Ok, well this is where we differ. To me that sounds a bit entitled and spoilt.
If "we tried our very best and it just didn't happen" then I'm not sure what there is to criticise the club about. If you're going to criticise regardless then that's getting close to the territory of a kid wailing on a supermarket floor because they can't have sweets.

So today on 11:54 - Jan 31 with 1396 viewschicoazul

So today on 11:34 - Jan 31 by Steve_M

I’m fully prepared to march on Portman Road Friday from the station if we don’t get the guys we need, I hope to see you there?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So today on 12:00 - Jan 31 with 1335 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

So today on 11:42 - Jan 31 by FrimleyBlue

In an FFP world. You can look at certain things and wonder if they have messed certain things up

For example. Financially. Aluko.. needed? How much.. could that have been better spent on a striker in the summer

If not then its not surprising based on history. So again should we have spent that money better.

But also as said before. If a manager gets sacked. The board don't care about the whys.. so it's no different for me in this situation. The manager has made it clear to the ceo what he needs. If he doesn't get it.. then the recruitment team has failed. Doesn't matter why. Managers don't get the same grace so those around them shouldn't either.

Well I think it does matter why. Otherwise you're just being an entitled football supporter who wants X player and doesn't want any excuses (no matter how valid those excuses might be).

I really don't think Aluko's wages are doing much to stop us getting a striker in.
Williams was worth getting in because we needed cover there anyway, so if it wasn't him it would be someone else. Either way that doesn't change the wages much.

You can wonder all you like "if they have messed certain things up" but I think there's very little evidence for that.

So today on 12:10 - Jan 31 with 1278 viewsDanTheMan

So today on 11:53 - Jan 31 by The_Flashing_Smile

Ok, well this is where we differ. To me that sounds a bit entitled and spoilt.
If "we tried our very best and it just didn't happen" then I'm not sure what there is to criticise the club about. If you're going to criticise regardless then that's getting close to the territory of a kid wailing on a supermarket floor because they can't have sweets.

I've known people at work that tried their best but their best wasn't up to the standard required. It happens.

The recruitment team's job is to identify players to sign in the budget and get them to the club. If they are unable to do this, they haven't done their job.

But, as stated before, it's nearly impossible to know whether it's due to market conditions or whatever because we don't have the information available.

But that would mean we're not allowed to criticise any window ever, we can only ever be happy that we've signed players at all, which I don't recall being a thing people said under Evans. This view seems to have only come around recently.

We'll probably not agree on this though so I'll leave it there.

So today on 12:14 - Jan 31 with 1246 viewsLion

So today on 11:42 - Jan 31 by The_Flashing_Smile

I think it's just the wording of his post, that it'll be "a missed opportunity", that people are downarrowing. It suggests something deliberate we're not doing that we should be.
[Post edited 31 Jan 11:43]

Yeah, i sort of get it; it would be a missed opportunity if we weren't doing everything in our power working within FFP to support the manager, but club are, so all we as fans can ask and hope for, so thats why downvotes.
It is TOOO much though, isn't it, 34 hours and 50 minutes and then the window shuts and then we know what we go with and we can just get on with it. Wonder if we will maybe get someone in today? tick tick tick...Its gonna be a rollercoaster 2nd half of the season, 2nd half at Leicester was beautiful and filled me with hope

Poll: Is Blue Badger ( booooooooooooooo ) a cyber bully?

So today on 12:22 - Jan 31 with 1171 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

So today on 12:10 - Jan 31 by DanTheMan

I've known people at work that tried their best but their best wasn't up to the standard required. It happens.

The recruitment team's job is to identify players to sign in the budget and get them to the club. If they are unable to do this, they haven't done their job.

But, as stated before, it's nearly impossible to know whether it's due to market conditions or whatever because we don't have the information available.

But that would mean we're not allowed to criticise any window ever, we can only ever be happy that we've signed players at all, which I don't recall being a thing people said under Evans. This view seems to have only come around recently.

We'll probably not agree on this though so I'll leave it there.

No, well Evans was a different kettle of fish. He started dropping the amount he was prepared to spend on the club generally, nothing to do with FFP.

And I'm not talking about any window ever. I've been very careful to say this window, and the very specific circumstances of this window.

You're right, I don't think we'll agree if you think there's always room for criticism in every situation where things don't work out how you want them to. There are situations when it's impossible to get what you want and you just have to hold your hands up, no-one's to blame.

So today on 12:27 - Jan 31 with 1136 viewsAlberto_the_frog

So today on 08:52 - Jan 31 by NthQldITFC

1. Players seem pretty keen to come here.

2. We have a lot of funding available.

3. Ashton works relentlessly to get deals done.

4. We are limited in what we can spend by strict financial fair play rules.

There are numbers bigger than 3. Of course we all know this, but language like 'missed opportunity' is pretty stupid if you are ignoring the rules of physics of the world in which you're living.

"I'd like to cross the Grand Canyon but there isn't a bridge, and I can't find a helicopter to take me. If I don't jump off and flap my arms until I get to the other side, I will surely regret this missed opportunity for ever."

I went over in a fixed wing aircraft
So today on 12:30 - Jan 31 with 1105 viewsEuropablue

So today on 09:13 - Jan 31 by Herbivore

Not sure how we've been lucky in either respect? Our rivals are all doing much, much better than sides in 1st, 3rd and 4th usually do which is making our life difficult. We'd usually be top and have a decent gap to 3rd in most other seasons. Injury wise we've had no better luck than others, we missed Burns for a decent spell, Davis missed a few games, Clarke has been nursing an injury all season, and now Hirst is out for almost the entirety of the season. Our rivals haven't had loads of regular first teamers missing for long spells really.

Just look at the inconsistent starts of both Leeds and especially Southampton. We were fortunate that they were not at it at the very beginning of the season like they are now and not dominating the way many expected them too. On the other hand, it is unfortunate that those three clubs are in the Championship with the embarrassment of riches they have in their squads. We were too reliant on Hirst and that was fine until he got injured. I would argue that Leeds and Southampton have greater depth and quality, so our injury misfortune is more consequential. That is the grounds for saying that we have been lucky, but now our luck has turned for the worse. Anyway, we made it into the January window and we have been addressing the weaknesses in our squad, hopefully getting 1 or 2 quality signings over the line to complete our transfer business.
So today on 12:34 - Jan 31 with 1077 viewsEuropablue

So today on 09:18 - Jan 31 by The_Flashing_Smile

What on earth should Ashton/the club "learn from previous windows" they don't already know?!

Regardless of what we did or didn't do in previous windows, this one is particularly hard because of FFP and not many players we want being available. They're just the facts right now and previous windows don't come into it.

Feel free to moan that we didn't try harder in the summer, but that's largely irrelevant right now. You can't get something out of nothing. If the players we want aren't available at the 'within FFP' price we can pay, what do you expect the club to do?

The summer business didn't even look that bad after 10 games of the season.
Hirst was a very important signing, Williams was looking great, Hutchinson looks amazing, and Taylor has been decent without setting the world alight, even Scarlett was looking to have the potential to kick on.
So today on 12:44 - Jan 31 with 1032 viewsEuropablue

So today on 11:42 - Jan 31 by FrimleyBlue

It does matter why though, doesn't it!?
The answer is to give managers some grace. Even if we dropped out of the playoffs, KM has done a great job (I can't imagine that happening, I'm just expressing how far above expectations we have achieved).
So today on 13:39 - Jan 31 with 911 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Chill. Let's leave it to tomorrow (deadline day) instead.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

So today on 14:15 - Jan 31 with 862 viewsVegtablue

So today on 10:58 - Jan 31 by cressi

If we fail to go up we will sell a player for decent money to take care of FFP it is how it works yes I no by June get 15 millon buy for 2 million.

Exceeding FFP this window would be gross mismanagement.
So today on 14:19 - Jan 31 with 845 viewsFrimleyBlue

So today on 12:44 - Jan 31 by Europablue

It does matter why though, doesn't it!?
The answer is to give managers some grace. Even if we dropped out of the playoffs, KM has done a great job (I can't imagine that happening, I'm just expressing how far above expectations we have achieved).

Sorry think you're getting confused

I'm not saying the forum wouldn't care about the whys. But the board that decide to sack a manager don't care about the whys.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024