Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move 12:55 - Jan 18 with 5422 viewsunstableblue

From their forums the general summary is this:

1. There is definitely some truth in the story with a significant fee involved
2. Johnson is in the form of his career and has been a big part of the upturn in recent form
3. They in general (not all) not keen that he goes, but as a figure north of £1m is being discussed, they think it's too much money to turn down, and they should sell

I don't really understand where he fits into our team though.

He has mainly be starting at left back - where he's scored twice recently. Occasionally in a left wing role. Sometimes on the bench. We all know Broadhead is out of form, but we've brought in Sarmiento, and Broadhead can come good, and Harness also in mix. Leif Davis is obviously our defacto left back.

Do you pay £1m plus for a back-up player at the moment??

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 12:56 - Jan 18 with 4929 viewsKieran_Knows

I very much doubt it's £1m upfront. Not even Ashton would be that stupid.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 13:00 - Jan 18 with 4833 viewsSomethingBlue

Wednesday end will naturally want to play up the fee. Johnson looks like the guy who comes on for Davis after 60/70 minutes, or stands in from the start when needed. It can only be good to give LD a rest whenever possible. Could also probably be a decent substitution for Broadhead (or Sarmiento) when we are looking to close a game down.
[Post edited 18 Jan 13:01]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 13:04 - Jan 18 with 4732 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

It’s Chandsiri we’ve got to negotiate with - he asked for a whip round from fans this season to pay the tax bill. Offer them 50k and a pint of Yorkshire bitter.
Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 13:05 - Jan 18 with 4703 viewsgeg1992

I'd be very disappointed if the £1 million figure is correct.

Happy with the signing, but not for a big fee like that.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 13:13 - Jan 18 with 4510 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 13:00 - Jan 18 by SomethingBlue

Wednesday end will naturally want to play up the fee. Johnson looks like the guy who comes on for Davis after 60/70 minutes, or stands in from the start when needed. It can only be good to give LD a rest whenever possible. Could also probably be a decent substitution for Broadhead (or Sarmiento) when we are looking to close a game down.
[Post edited 18 Jan 13:01]

Yeah it's this. Think it's a good move.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 13:21 - Jan 18 with 4331 viewsWeekender

If we need back up for Davis I think I would have preferred Greg Leigh.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 13:24 - Jan 18 with 4273 viewssoupytwist

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 13:21 - Jan 18 by Weekender

I think Cameron Humphreys showed that we don't need to splash out £1 million for adequate cover to Davis.
Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 13:27 - Jan 18 with 4213 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I cant see us paying £1m for a 33 year old squad player with no upside.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 13:31 - Jan 18 with 4137 viewssotd78

Is Davis going. Then it makes sense.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 13:33 - Jan 18 with 4094 viewsIllinoisblue

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 13:31 - Jan 18 by sotd78

If he was surely would have leaked by now.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 13:37 - Jan 18 with 3996 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 13:27 - Jan 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

I cant see us paying £1m for a 33 year old squad player with no upside.

Unless 80% of that fee is dependent on promotion and the haggle over the fee is Wednesday trying to bump up the initial payment
Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 14:01 - Jan 18 with 3753 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 13:31 - Jan 18 by sotd78

You’d have hoped for a better replacement than someone who wasn’t even first choice at Sheff Weds if that was the case. Given the type of fee Davis would command there would be more than 1m to spend. Davis 10 assists v Johnson 2 would be a huge gamble when second in the league.
Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 14:05 - Jan 18 with 3682 viewsIllinoisblue

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 14:01 - Jan 18 by SuperKieranMcKenna

You’d have hoped for a better replacement than someone who wasn’t even first choice at Sheff Weds if that was the case. Given the type of fee Davis would command there would be more than 1m to spend. Davis 10 assists v Johnson 2 would be a huge gamble when second in the league.

Maybe our European scouting network will one day get off the ground and produce results. Does it exist yet?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 14:20 - Jan 18 with 3504 viewsVegtablue

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 14:01 - Jan 18 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I'd be gutted if this was anything other than a squad signing. However, Johnson scores highly as an attacking full-back compared to his peers; think we'd need to spend a lot of money to bring in an alternative that is better than him today. Some on the thread are underplaying the current drop-off when Davis doesn't play IMO.

£1M is huge for a 33 y-o mind you, so hopefully the EADT are right about how much we're willing to pay. Most Weds fans would understandably drive him here themselves for that money.
Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 14:26 - Jan 18 with 3390 viewsitfcsuth

Can see why we're looking at him, as cover for Davis.

However, £1m seems really steep for him - can't imagine we'd look at any more than a low six figure fee for him.
[Post edited 18 Jan 14:33]
Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 14:42 - Jan 18 with 3215 viewsMetal_Hacker

Just spoken to one of my mates here who’s a season tickets holder

“Yeah truth in it any all accounts. Been our best player since coming back into the fold after the fall out with Nunez. He won’t knock the ball past a player and beat him but with 5 assists in 6 games , he’s bang on it. “

Poll: If it were one or the other

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 14:43 - Jan 18 with 3186 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Bed in Humphries where required and save the money.

I wonder what Burns thinks about it given he elbowed him in the face not that long ago.
Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 14:51 - Jan 18 with 3088 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 13:21 - Jan 18 by Weekender

Maybe he’s going to play RWB for us?
Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 14:59 - Jan 18 with 2958 viewsFrimleyBlue

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 14:05 - Jan 18 by Illinoisblue

Maybe our European scouting network will one day get off the ground and produce results. Does it exist yet?

Not had time, we've only been a champ club for 5 months, or something.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 16:24 - Jan 18 with 2566 viewsbraveblue

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 12:56 - Jan 18 by Kieran_Knows

Ashton stupid? He has been outstanding here.
Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 16:58 - Jan 18 with 2345 viewsBloomBlue

Davis going to West Ham, Johnson a good replacement for the rest of the season.
Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 17:04 - Jan 18 with 2281 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 16:58 - Jan 18 by BloomBlue

If Davis was going to Spam I'd hope we'd at least get Ben Johnson on loan in return

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 17:39 - Jan 18 with 2048 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 16:58 - Jan 18 by BloomBlue

They’d be insane to sell him at this point. Top assists over all 4 leagues in the last year. 10 assists for us this season, we showed how we struggled to score without him in the Stoke and QPR games.

What’s the best we’d get for him, 20m (probably less up front), versus £100m tv money if promoted. I’d seriously question Ashton’s judgement if we sold him whilst in such a good position. Furthermore as this window has showed recruiting in January is nigh on impossible. If we don’t get promoted it’s inevitable Davis goes in the summer, but right now would be a mad gamble.
Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 17:51 - Jan 18 with 1933 viewsVegtablue

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 17:39 - Jan 18 by SuperKieranMcKenna

They’d be insane to sell him at this point. Top assists over all 4 leagues in the last year. 10 assists for us this season, we showed how we struggled to score without him in the Stoke and QPR games.

What’s the best we’d get for him, 20m (probably less up front), versus £100m tv money if promoted. I’d seriously question Ashton’s judgement if we sold him whilst in such a good position. Furthermore as this window has showed recruiting in January is nigh on impossible. If we don’t get promoted it’s inevitable Davis goes in the summer, but right now would be a mad gamble.

Aye Bloom was being a tinker there I'm sure, there's no way we convert Leif money into a stronger squad in less than two weeks. Summer gives us a chance, should we miss out.
Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 18:16 - Jan 18 with 1755 viewsMK1

Sheff Weds fans on Marvin Johnson move on 12:56 - Jan 18 by Kieran_Knows

"Not even Ashton would be that stupid"?
What has he done that makes you think he is stupid?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024