Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The flat atmosphere 07:04 - Jan 15 with 6309 viewsBondiBlue

I remember in 2000-2001 (the 5th in the prem season) portman road being deafening for the first few months of the season. The wilnis goal against man u was probably the loudest i've ever heard it. But then it petered off a bit after christmas even though we were flying. Best way i can describe it was a weird feeling of anticlimax that the premier league weren't as good as we thought they'd be - we were beating everyone and it was almost disappointing.

Poll: Which would you accept?

The flat atmosphere on 12:26 - Jan 15 with 1238 viewsPendejo

The flat atmosphere on 12:02 - Jan 15 by blueasfook

Could we introduce mandatory singing I wonder? Perhaps arm the stewards with sticks to prod fans who aren't singing or not singing loudly enough.

Seconded

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

The flat atmosphere on 12:28 - Jan 15 with 1230 viewsblueasfook

The flat atmosphere on 12:26 - Jan 15 by Pendejo

Seconded

I took the idea from North Korea :D

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

The flat atmosphere on 12:28 - Jan 15 with 1234 viewsbaxterbasics

I was high up in North Upper for this match, once our equaliser went in there was plenty of singing to be heard. There is always the issue that different sections of the fans are starting up different chants, and even when it's the same one it's hard to get the timing synchronised.

The acoustics issue was confirmed by the fact I don't think I heard anything from the away fans other than when their goal went in.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

The flat atmosphere on 12:36 - Jan 15 with 1201 viewsPendejo

The flat atmosphere on 07:56 - Jan 15 by WubbleU

The move to block A hasn't worked. Don't think Blue Action are anywhere near as continuous noise up there, long quiet, then a song, followed by long quiet. Get them behind a goal.

I usually sit in Cobbold B and have enjoyed the time of my life with Blue Action in A, other than getting too close to the drum without ear defenders.

Leeds H only heard Leeds fans after final whistle because of acoustics mentioned by StevieH, did 4 games in Cobbold all great atmosphere, tho Naaaridge was the worst!

Now done 3 games in Block Y of "Pioneer" stand where away fans can be heard clearly, as can Cobbold A, but the ends are unnoticeable at times.
What did surprise me about Y - there's a handful there wanting to sing, I think if we carry on in 2nd more people will have confidence to vocally back the team.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

The flat atmosphere on 12:43 - Jan 15 with 1184 viewsunbelievablue

As usual, plenty of factors.

Long Term:
- Architecture of North Stand, acoustics etc. from there are crap
- A Block/North Stand can only sing certain songs in tandem easily

Short Term:
- A level of unrealistic expectation based on ridiculous form and quality of football
- Nervousness of being in 2nd
- Cold and dark

It also really, really depends where you're sat as to your perception of the atmosphere. I actually think it's fine relative to most stadia in the UK.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Can we electrify the prods? And maybe use water cannons? on 12:44 - Jan 15 with 1178 viewsunstableblue

The flat atmosphere on 12:02 - Jan 15 by blueasfook

Could we introduce mandatory singing I wonder? Perhaps arm the stewards with sticks to prod fans who aren't singing or not singing loudly enough.

Or perhaps each supporter has a collar that is fitted on entry to Portman Road… if it doesn’t detect enough noise being generated by the individual, then an amphetamine based solution is applied to the supporter, you know really fire them up.

Thoughts?

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Can we electrify the prods? And maybe use water cannons? on 12:53 - Jan 15 with 1132 viewsjayessess

Can we electrify the prods? And maybe use water cannons? on 12:44 - Jan 15 by unstableblue

Or perhaps each supporter has a collar that is fitted on entry to Portman Road… if it doesn’t detect enough noise being generated by the individual, then an amphetamine based solution is applied to the supporter, you know really fire them up.

Thoughts?

Think that might create a "perverse incentive"

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

The flat atmosphere on 12:54 - Jan 15 with 1139 viewsHeeeesEygptian

I'd like to echo those who have mentioned that there are 4 stands at Portman Road and not just a few sections.

Getting anything from the other 3 stands sometimes is like getting blood from a stone, couldn't even get them to commit to a "stand up if you hate the s**m" in the derby.

As an occupant of the Lower North, I would also like to add that perhaps some fans in the area I sit could spend more time cheering on the team rather than telling Kayden Jackson he's s**t for 90 mins... of course until he scored on Saturday.
Login to get fewer ads

The flat atmosphere on 13:06 - Jan 15 with 1113 viewsGlasgowBlue

The flat atmosphere on 07:57 - Jan 15 by SomethingBlue

Yes, I felt it was very flat and anxious for half an hour but when Jackson scored it seemed to inject belief into everyone and it was fine after that. From my relatively limited experience it seems that the issue of cohering songs/chants across the entire lower tier has become (even) more pronounced this season but there were a lot of people trying to get things going.

I think that is only to be expected. We were on a run of 5 games without a win. Supporters were nervous and when Sunderland scored, despite how well we were playing, there was a sense of dejavu.

The Jackson goal settled the nerves for most and the second half performance seemed to get most going.

The one positive to take from our poor run is that it has hopefully killed off the sense of entitlement. We really shouldn't be winning every game we play in the Championship. But it was starting to feel that way.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The flat atmosphere on 13:15 - Jan 15 with 1090 viewslazyblue

What we need is one good continuous loud song and not the slow beat dull boring chants that are sung these days at PR.
Get a good rendition of Super Kieran’s blue and white army going ! It will get everyone bouncing again.
Can we electrify the prods? And maybe use water cannons? on 13:17 - Jan 15 with 1078 viewsNthQldITFC

Can we electrify the prods? And maybe use water cannons? on 12:44 - Jan 15 by unstableblue

Thoughts?

Part of the problem is that we have inherently deep voices in this part of the world, and the low frequency sound gets swallowed up by the concrete.

What would work would be a scrotal compression device fitted upon entry (chaps only, of course), which would be triggered by WiFi and would simultaneously induce noise and raise frequency.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

The flat atmosphere on 13:44 - Jan 15 with 1034 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The flat atmosphere on 11:00 - Jan 15 by unstableblue

No one’s exaggerating

The majority of fans who were there know and state that the first half atmosphere wasn’t good enough given the season we’re having and the backing the boys needed.

It wasn’t good enough, period.

Second half the crowd greatly improved and I think made a difference to the outcome.

The atmosphere can be an issue at PR. And it shouldn’t be given where the club is.

You're even exaggerating in this reply: "The majority of fans who were there" - so you've canvassed all the fans, and the majority have told you the atmosphere wasn't good enough?

I saw your post attacking North Stand fans during the game - were you even there yourself?!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Can we electrify the prods? And maybe use water cannons? on 13:52 - Jan 15 with 1018 viewsBuhrer

Can we electrify the prods? And maybe use water cannons? on 13:17 - Jan 15 by NthQldITFC

Part of the problem is that we have inherently deep voices in this part of the world, and the low frequency sound gets swallowed up by the concrete.

What would work would be a scrotal compression device fitted upon entry (chaps only, of course), which would be triggered by WiFi and would simultaneously induce noise and raise frequency.

It's increasingly clear to me that it was actually the so called "happy clappers" that were maintaining the volume at PR. Now cruelly muted by gloves, mittens and holding hot drinks. Roof and heat the stadium NOW. Doubles of a winter warmer applied at sensible intervals to anyone over 12.
[Post edited 15 Jan 13:53]
The flat atmosphere on 13:59 - Jan 15 with 1004 viewsblueasfook

The noise we made in 2000/01 was immense and certainly a factor in motivating the team. I remember one game the whole ground chanting "Burley Burley Burley" for like 10 mins solid. I think adding another tier to the North Stand affected the noise. The upper tier never really took on the North stand atmosphere.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

The flat atmosphere on 14:04 - Jan 15 with 991 viewsRimsy

I thought there was a nervousness in the crowd early in the game, understandable after our dodgy run. But once the team got a grip on the game the crowd relaxed and played their part.

BlueBlood

Can we electrify the prods? And maybe use water cannons? on 14:09 - Jan 15 with 978 viewsBuhrer

Thoughts?

I think it's hard to see you all the way up there.

And posting at half time moaning is naff. There's a point you regularly pursue and whether its valid or not the way you are approaching it involves you putting yourself in a position to pose a problem, dictate it's significance, and give judgement on a solution. You regularly extrapolate out your assertions to groups of many thousands of people. All total yarbles. Who on earth would sit in the North and not sing up? Who on earth would post at half time moaning at fellow fans?
The flat atmosphere on 14:30 - Jan 15 with 924 viewsBseaBlue

The flat atmosphere on 08:55 - Jan 15 by Blue_Order

It’s working for us. We were stuck in section 6 singing into thin air every week while everyone around us stood quiet and just moaned about our flags. We were fighting a losing battle and it was an absolute chore. We’d probably have disbanded by now had we not moved.

Now we’ve more than doubled in numbers and it’s much more enjoyable having 100+ singing for the whole game. A-blocks not yet perfect - most of the front half still doesn’t participate which is why the sound doesn’t travel. Us moving might not have improved the overall atmosphere in the ground, but that’s not our fault or problem - that lies at the door of the North Stand, 90% of whom unfortunately just don’t have the right mentality.

We sing all game every game, always have done and always will. There’s nothing else we can do. Folk can talk about acoustics all they want, but the fact is, Ipswich fans in the main just can’t be arsed to back their team. It’s incredibly easy for Section 6 (who obviously can hear us) to spread our songs across to S5 who should then carry them further, but for whatever reason they just don’t.

But us moving was a small step in a long term plan. We’ll keep getting stronger and will eventually move again elsewhere, depending on what happens with the Cobbold rebuild. Ideally they’ll turn it into a safe standing curve to link the Cobbold and NS, purpose built as an ultra section. Probably unlikely, but that would help massively and give the active support a proper home for years to come.

You know overseas where there is one person co-ordinating the songs for the ultras with some sort of speaker, maybe that is worth trying.....Where is megaphone man?
The flat atmosphere on 14:36 - Jan 15 with 904 viewsBluespeed225

The flat atmosphere on 11:54 - Jan 15 by lurcher

The North amplifies the sound, The roof shape is a natural amplifier much like a amphitheater, Sadly most of the sound is lost into the sky. The reason the old north sounded louder was because its roof was below the two side stands.

That means the upper tier right, as lower tier is literally 2 feet( back rows) from the thickest block of concrete outside of a Normandy bunker. A steep one tier stand would have been the preferred option but limited by the loss of light issue to the houses in Alderman Road.
The flat atmosphere on 15:42 - Jan 15 with 851 viewsnorfsufblue

The flat atmosphere on 08:55 - Jan 15 by Blue_Order

It’s working for us. We were stuck in section 6 singing into thin air every week while everyone around us stood quiet and just moaned about our flags. We were fighting a losing battle and it was an absolute chore. We’d probably have disbanded by now had we not moved.

Now we’ve more than doubled in numbers and it’s much more enjoyable having 100+ singing for the whole game. A-blocks not yet perfect - most of the front half still doesn’t participate which is why the sound doesn’t travel. Us moving might not have improved the overall atmosphere in the ground, but that’s not our fault or problem - that lies at the door of the North Stand, 90% of whom unfortunately just don’t have the right mentality.

We sing all game every game, always have done and always will. There’s nothing else we can do. Folk can talk about acoustics all they want, but the fact is, Ipswich fans in the main just can’t be arsed to back their team. It’s incredibly easy for Section 6 (who obviously can hear us) to spread our songs across to S5 who should then carry them further, but for whatever reason they just don’t.

But us moving was a small step in a long term plan. We’ll keep getting stronger and will eventually move again elsewhere, depending on what happens with the Cobbold rebuild. Ideally they’ll turn it into a safe standing curve to link the Cobbold and NS, purpose built as an ultra section. Probably unlikely, but that would help massively and give the active support a proper home for years to come.

I love what you lot are doing and when I was 18- 25 I'd have been there with you but as a now 60+ I join in in Churhmans when I can .... however my one piece of advice as has been suggested on here by many is to start singing Amazing grace and persevere with it because there are loads of people around my age can tell you it's the one chant from way back when that REALLY UNITED THE WHOLE GROUND!..... I'll also stick in my usual request for you to listen to Bringing on back the good times by Love Affair and make it OUR glad all ver( Palace style)..
Keep up the good work you'll really remember these times with fondness when yo get to my age!
The flat atmosphere on 16:18 - Jan 15 with 817 viewsBlue_Order

The flat atmosphere on 14:30 - Jan 15 by BseaBlue

You know overseas where there is one person co-ordinating the songs for the ultras with some sort of speaker, maybe that is worth trying.....Where is megaphone man?

We’ve been asking the club all season to let us have a megaphone in the ground.

If I told you some of the reasons we’ve been given for not allowing it, you probably wouldn’t believe me.
The flat atmosphere on 16:21 - Jan 15 with 797 viewsGeoffSentence

The flat atmosphere on 14:30 - Jan 15 by BseaBlue

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The flat atmosphere on 16:22 - Jan 15 with 797 viewsGeoffSentence

The flat atmosphere on 16:18 - Jan 15 by Blue_Order

If I told you some of the reasons we’ve been given for not allowing it, you probably wouldn’t believe me.

tell us some of the reasons that have been given for not allowing a megaphone. I'll believe you.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The flat atmosphere on 16:36 - Jan 15 with 773 viewsBseaBlue

Fair play to you for trying! Keep it going and keep expanding and hopefully more will head your way.
The flat atmosphere on 16:39 - Jan 15 with 760 viewsbaxterbasics

They should issue a megaphone with every seat! That might help things.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

The flat atmosphere on 17:43 - Jan 15 with 715 viewsstonojnr

The flat atmosphere on 08:09 - Jan 15 by StevieH

Clearly acoustics make all the difference. I was in Cobbold B. I heard almost nothing from the Sunderland fans all game, yet others have said they were pretty good.
Blue Action were relentless. They hardly stopped at all……..

As long as they can hear it out in the middle. Leif commented on the noise and how much the players enjoy playing at PR. I thought it was a great atmosphere

They started off well loudest weve had since Leeds i think, but the equaliser knocked them down a notch and they were quiet 2nd half till the end.

But equally the reverse acoustics hold true because the A block noise barely makes it to the Southern end of the ground, its loud if you sit in the Pioneer but not in Sir Alf, you hear the north stand far more clearly still.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024