Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... 13:32 - Jan 12 with 2121 viewsElderGrizzly

"The Championship’s reputation is as an ultra-competitive league where anyone can beat anyone. One glance at the current table, however, and you’ll see Leicester, still a Premier League team in all but name, slicing a route back to the top tier at breakneck pace, set to smash through the 100-point barrier as Burnley did last season, with Leeds and Southampton in their slipstream"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/12/erol-buluts-rebooted-cardiff-st
Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 13:39 - Jan 12 with 2031 viewshoppy

That is quite bizarre reporting, albeit not surprising, that they mention 'those in their slipstream', completely ignoring 2nd place... What an annoying blight we must be for them looking at the table.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 13:46 - Jan 12 with 1959 viewsBlueNomad

Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 13:39 - Jan 12 by hoppy

That is quite bizarre reporting, albeit not surprising, that they mention 'those in their slipstream', completely ignoring 2nd place... What an annoying blight we must be for them looking at the table.

There is clearly a "big club" bias where only those with a very recent history in the PL and big budgets are taken into account. That's why I am developing an increasing soft spot for Luton Town.

Anyone with more than a passing interest in football will have learned quite a bit about us over the past few months.
Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 13:46 - Jan 12 with 1963 views_clive_baker_

If it was just Southampton I would understand it a bit more. They're flying and I wouldn't bet against them finishing 2nd. But to overlook us while citing Leeds is a bit odd, given they're 7 points behind and not in the best of form themselves.
Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 13:47 - Jan 12 with 1950 viewsMyBlueHeaven

the writer's not commenting on the top 4 though, is he? just pointing out that it's perhaps not as competitive/open as people make out, given 3 of top 4 are relegated Prem clubs. one sentence in an article about Cardiff.

We don't have to be mentioned in all Championship pieces you know.
Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 13:48 - Jan 12 with 1920 viewsElderGrizzly

Telegraph are running an article on Farke today and how wonderful he is to be pushing Leeds back to the PL.
Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 13:49 - Jan 12 with 1910 viewsElderGrizzly

Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 13:47 - Jan 12 by MyBlueHeaven

the writer's not commenting on the top 4 though, is he? just pointing out that it's perhaps not as competitive/open as people make out, given 3 of top 4 are relegated Prem clubs. one sentence in an article about Cardiff.

We don't have to be mentioned in all Championship pieces you know.

Thanks Dominic :)
Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 13:49 - Jan 12 with 1903 viewsITFC_Forever

Bit surprising from the Guardian given the ITFC connections of one of their sport reporters.... you would think they would get Something like that right.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 13:51 - Jan 12 with 1874 viewsLankHenners

Don't see a huge lot wrong with that really - it's a piece on Cardiff's ambitions and is making the point that the top end of the table is dominated by the relegated Prem sides, thus illustrating the difficulty for other teams to compete. Maybe a line could have been put in to mention us but I'm not sure it would be hugely relevant.

Have to say again we really need to stop being so 'Plymouth-like' about media coverage.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Login to get fewer ads

Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 13:53 - Jan 12 with 1844 viewsElderGrizzly

Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 13:51 - Jan 12 by LankHenners

Don't see a huge lot wrong with that really - it's a piece on Cardiff's ambitions and is making the point that the top end of the table is dominated by the relegated Prem sides, thus illustrating the difficulty for other teams to compete. Maybe a line could have been put in to mention us but I'm not sure it would be hugely relevant.

Have to say again we really need to stop being so 'Plymouth-like' about media coverage.

It was more the use of slipstream, when that normally refers to the 'thing' directly behind.

Just lazy journalism, but I guess it does help us to not have everyone looking at us 24/7.
Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 13:56 - Jan 12 with 1802 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

To be fair, they can’t see a lot.
Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 15:49 - Jan 12 with 1507 viewsKitman

Wouldn't believe a word written about any article in that ridiculous paper anyway

Blog: [Blog] Interesting Start to the New Season

Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 15:54 - Jan 12 with 1471 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"Anyone can beat anyone" ... and yet only Leeds (4th) and West Brom (5th) have beaten Town!

EDIT: and only top-half Hull, Leeds and Middlesboro have beaten Leicester; and only top half sides have beaten Southampton. So that statement simply isn't true of any of the top 3 sides so far.
[Post edited 12 Jan 15:57]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 15:58 - Jan 12 with 1434 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 13:48 - Jan 12 by ElderGrizzly

Telegraph are running an article on Farke today and how wonderful he is to be pushing Leeds back to the PL.

Let's hope the Leeds board believe it whether their fans do or not.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 18:26 - Jan 12 with 1212 viewsMidlander

Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 15:49 - Jan 12 by Kitman

Wouldn't believe a word written about any article in that ridiculous paper anyway

Which newspaper do you read?
Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 18:51 - Jan 12 with 1154 viewsPhilTWTD

Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 13:53 - Jan 12 by ElderGrizzly

It was more the use of slipstream, when that normally refers to the 'thing' directly behind.

Just lazy journalism, but I guess it does help us to not have everyone looking at us 24/7.

I think the point is that the relegated Premier League clubs are three of the top four, so our presence isn't really part of that.
Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 18:53 - Jan 12 with 1138 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Who gives a f about the guardian?
Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 19:32 - Jan 12 with 1060 viewsSwansea_Blue

That’s weird. As lefties you’d think they’d be used to focusing on 2nd place…

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 19:43 - Jan 12 with 999 viewsSwansea_Blue

I think it’s just artistic licence, as including us would have ruined his intro angle about the big money clubs. Just a bit lazy. If anything the interesting story at the top is about being the exception, but I don’t mind if there’s less scrutiny and pressure on us.

He’s gone soft on the Sala incident too - almost making them out as the victims. The way Cardiff handled that was disgusting.

Maybe he’s a Cardiff fan? I can’t see why they merit an article otherwise. Yes they’re 3 points off the POs, but they’re also the same distance from 15th. It’s a very compressed table through the middle still.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Guardian journalists obviously can't see 2nd... on 07:06 - Jan 13 with 796 viewsElephantintheRoom

He’s trying to make a point that the championship isn’t competitive any more which might well be true - apart from the absurdity of the play offs which could see anyone currently in the top half of the table promoted - rather than three of four teams who weren’t in the division last year

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024