Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" 16:21 - Jan 11 with 6185 viewsKeno

9 are still with us

Hladky
Walton
Fridge
Burgess
Chappers
Burns
Morsy
Aluko
Evans

12 arent

Edwards
Harper
Carroll
Penney
Pigott
Fraser
Celina
Coulson
Bonne
Bakinson
Thompson
Barry

With thanks for the reminder on Evans

[Post edited 11 Jan 17:51]

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 23:52 - Jan 11 with 866 viewsSuperblue95

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 20:38 - Jan 11 by ibbleobble

Figured it’d be good to do that for McKenna’s signings too:

Huge Hits
Luongo
Davis
Broadhead

Hits
Hirst
Hutchinson
Tuanzebe

Middling
Scarlett
Ball
Clarke
Williams
Taylor
Ladapo
John-Jules
Harness

Misses
Bakinson
Thompson
Camara
Ahadme

Unknown
Travis
Sarmiento
[Post edited 11 Jan 20:55]

Swap Scarlett and Bakinson around and you’re not far off.

Although I’m not sure why Hutchisnon deserves to be in a higher bracket that most of those in the one below.

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 00:05 - Jan 12 with 848 viewsTractorFrog

I would go with this:

Huge Hits
Davis
Broadhead
Luongo
Hirst

Hits
Ladapo
Clarke
Harness

Middling
Taylor
Hutchinson
Tuanzebe
Ball
Williams
John-Jules
Bakinson

Misses
Keogh
Scarlett
Thompson
Camara
Ahadme

Unknown
Travis
Sarmiento

They'd all laugh at me if they knew what I was trying to do. To create a new strain of super-wine in half-an-hour with a fraction of nature's resources and a FOOL for an assistant. 'Bernard Black, he's mad,' they'd say, 'he's insane, he's dangerous.' Well I'll show them! I'll show them all!
Poll: What hurt more?

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 00:13 - Jan 12 with 839 viewsWicklowBlue

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 19:14 - Jan 11 by FrimleyBlue

I dunno.

For me it's either a signing that worked out or didn't. Someone who was good for a few months isn't really a good signing.

Unless however you've signed them as a short term loan in January and they have a massive effect on your season. Ala hirst had he not signed perm anyway.

So you are a dunno on whether a loan signing is binary in terms of great or gash? There is no middle eh?

So (and I apologise for being direct), if we signed Bonne tomorrow and he knocked in12 goals in the 2nd half of this season on a 6 month loan that would be a massive effect on our season yes?

Your constant poking at things and then running back to the Humpty Dumpty Wall of indifference is frustrating.

I'm sure both of us enjoyed this from Bonne?

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 06:47 - Jan 12 with 756 viewsibbleobble

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 23:08 - Jan 11 by Mach_foreignBlue

Paul Cook will always be a special moment in the history of the club.

Those who criticise the Demolition Job are pure ballbags.

Yes he failed. Not the first not the last manager. He had to go.

But.....it is a very big but.

He'd open a new chapter for us. He did purge our changing room. He did clean it by eliminating a changing room from the rotten Skuse/Chambers culture.....very rotten culture....nice and easy payday Ipswich culture.

These days and what we are seeing from our players. A different world. Playing for the wages they get.
[Post edited 11 Jan 23:09]

This is irrefutable so it beggars belief that there’s still an under current of sentiment contrary to this. Any manager we’ve had since Burley pales into insignificance compared to McKenna but the job Cook and GameChanger did to lay the foundations for McKenna is part of today’s success.
Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 06:59 - Jan 12 with 747 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 06:47 - Jan 12 by ibbleobble

This is irrefutable so it beggars belief that there’s still an under current of sentiment contrary to this. Any manager we’ve had since Burley pales into insignificance compared to McKenna but the job Cook and GameChanger did to lay the foundations for McKenna is part of today’s success.

You can't say that Joe Royle pales into insignificance. He was a very good manager.

Cook and GameChanger would start a new chapter indeed.
Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 07:51 - Jan 12 with 707 viewsRobTheMonk

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 23:08 - Jan 11 by Mach_foreignBlue

He'd open a new chapter for us. He did purge our changing room. He did clean it by eliminating a changing room from the rotten Skuse/Chambers culture.....very rotten culture....nice and easy payday Ipswich culture.

These days and what we are seeing from our players. A different world. Playing for the wages they get.

I see Paul Cook as, for lack of a better term, a necessary evil needed at the time.

He was a massive hypocrite though.
Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 07:58 - Jan 12 with 698 viewsDinnernotTea

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 07:51 - Jan 12 by RobTheMonk

I see Paul Cook as, for lack of a better term, a necessary evil needed at the time.

He was a massive hypocrite though.

Cook wasn't good enough plain and simple but I think he wasn't good enough for the modern head coach role. Let's face it he barely had a say in a lot of the 20 signings that came in and in my opinion was massively disrespected when Ashton signed Edwards instead of Jacobs. Cook proved with the players that wanted to play for HIM are good players. We also didn't have Walton, Morsy & Edmundson starting games until September so we chucked a lot of points away in August 2021.

I'll be forever grateful for him to be bold enough to get rid of the Chambers/Skuse cushty environment. I think he was then let down by Ashton in the summer window.

Either way we have a genius in charge now so all good.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 08:01 - Jan 12 with 679 viewsFrimleyBlue

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 00:13 - Jan 12 by WicklowBlue

So you are a dunno on whether a loan signing is binary in terms of great or gash? There is no middle eh?

So (and I apologise for being direct), if we signed Bonne tomorrow and he knocked in12 goals in the 2nd half of this season on a 6 month loan that would be a massive effect on our season yes?

Your constant poking at things and then running back to the Humpty Dumpty Wall of indifference is frustrating.

I'm sure both of us enjoyed this from Bonne?

There is a middle I guess but not in this case.

He was a season loan. He had a few good months but then scored as a striker 1 in 30 games. For me that puts him in the bad signing pot purely as he was a season loan and not a short term one.

And of course yes if he signed tomorrow and scored 12 goals that fired us to promotion or a top 6 place then yes that would be a good short term loan as that would be the terms he's signed on for... short term.

Yes I enjoyed that goal. Bonne himself also scored some cracking goals with us. That volley v Millwall was it? Can't remember the visiting side. But the kvy long diag set up. That was also an excellent goal.
[Post edited 12 Jan 8:05]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 08:03 - Jan 12 with 682 viewsSteve_M

Your assumption that no other manager would have moved those players out is quite odd Mach, both coming towards the end of their careers but it could have been done with far more dignity and by a manager who had an idea of what he was trying to do with the team.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 08:13 - Jan 12 with 664 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 08:03 - Jan 12 by Steve_M

Your assumption that no other manager would have moved those players out is quite odd Mach, both coming towards the end of their careers but it could have been done with far more dignity and by a manager who had an idea of what he was trying to do with the team.

Almost entire team had to be kicked out Steve. The dressing room was rotten well and truly. The players didn't play for the shirt.

Alan Judge saying after the Rochdale game that 0-0 at theirs wasn't a bad result The list of bad things from that era can go on and on.
Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 08:17 - Jan 12 with 649 viewsFrimleyBlue

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 08:13 - Jan 12 by Mach_foreignBlue

Almost entire team had to be kicked out Steve. The dressing room was rotten well and truly. The players didn't play for the shirt.

Alan Judge saying after the Rochdale game that 0-0 at theirs wasn't a bad result The list of bad things from that era can go on and on.

Haha. Was that the game where he said it was a tough place to go. ( they'd lost the last 7 games there or something )

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 08:19 - Jan 12 with 649 viewsRobTheMonk

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 08:13 - Jan 12 by Mach_foreignBlue

Alan Judge turned into one of the lamest footballers I've ever seen here. Towards the end of his time, his first thought was to turn backwards with the ball. He had no confidence in his own ability.
[Post edited 12 Jan 8:22]
Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 08:20 - Jan 12 with 643 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 08:17 - Jan 12 by FrimleyBlue

Haha. Was that the game where he said it was a tough place to go. ( they'd lost the last 7 games there or something )

They had been shipping goals that season.
Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 08:24 - Jan 12 with 630 viewsHerbivore

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 20:20 - Jan 11 by Garv

Fraser could have come good in the right set up given time*. Piggot was just totally poor and never looked like he could do it. Harsh to put them in the same bracket in my opinion.

*Completely right call to let him go, however.

It's really not. Fraser looked poor in the game time he got here. They were both huge flops.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 08:30 - Jan 12 with 625 viewsHerbivore

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 06:47 - Jan 12 by ibbleobble

Cook let a load of players go whose contracts were expiring anyway and was then very heavily backed to build a squad. He then spent half a season failing to get a tune out of that new squad and levelling similar criticisms at them as he'd levelled against the players he cleared out 6 months earlier. That anyone tries to rewrite his time here as anything other than a car crash beggars belief. He was hopeless and the fact we still have some of his signings flourishing under a much better manager doesn't change that.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 08:40 - Jan 12 with 593 viewsitfcjoe

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 00:05 - Jan 12 by TractorFrog

I would go with this:

Huge Hits
Davis
Broadhead
Luongo
Hirst

Hits
Ladapo
Clarke
Harness

Middling
Taylor
Hutchinson
Tuanzebe
Ball
Williams
John-Jules
Bakinson

Misses
Keogh
Scarlett
Thompson
Camara
Ahadme

Unknown
Travis
Sarmiento

I think Thompson could go in middling, he played every week in what was a decent side in 2nd half of the season, wasn't good enough to remain after that but did a decent enough job and certainly wasn't a miss for me.

Ball and John-Jules would prob be misses as we got very little out of them mainly due to injury

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 08:53 - Jan 12 with 576 viewsNedPlimpton

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 20:38 - Jan 11 by ibbleobble

Huge Hits
Luongo
Davis
Broadhead

Hits
Hirst
Hutchinson
Tuanzebe

Middling
Scarlett
Ball
Clarke
Williams
Taylor
Ladapo
John-Jules
Harness

Misses
Bakinson
Thompson
Camara
Ahadme

Unknown
Travis
Sarmiento
[Post edited 11 Jan 20:55]

No Greg Leigh??

Definitely another Hit!
Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 10:16 - Jan 12 with 503 viewshoppy

Of the players signed by Cookie "that summer" on 17:21 - Jan 11 by Keno

there you go

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominic_Thompson_(footballer)

And a visual reminder too...

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2022/january/town-sign-dominic-thompson-on-loan-from

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024