Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is extremely interesting to me 09:53 - Jan 7 with 2392 viewschicoazul

School absences: Boost sport to get pupils back in class - report https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-67893387

The real headline is the one they didn’t use - 1 in 5 children are persistently absent from school, meaning they kiss one day a fortnight at least.
Obsessed as I am with the short term future of this country o can’t decide if this is a bad thing or maybe a good one? Are these kids being home schooled, working with their family, learning a trade? Or are they instead dossing about. I see plenty of school age children in Greggs and Costa during school hours.
Any insight from TWTDers who have experienced this?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

This is extremely interesting to me on 09:56 - Jan 7 with 2065 viewsDubtractor

Mrs Dub is a primary school teacher and the main reason for absences in her school is that parents (and therefore the kids) just don't care. Definitely won't be getting home schooled in their absence!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

This is extremely interesting to me on 10:03 - Jan 7 with 2017 viewsredrickstuhaart

This is extremely interesting to me on 09:56 - Jan 7 by Dubtractor

Mrs Dub is a primary school teacher and the main reason for absences in her school is that parents (and therefore the kids) just don't care. Definitely won't be getting home schooled in their absence!

Quite. Very few will be home schooled in any meaningful way. Frankly, most of those who are formally homeschooled are missing out and do not have parents accomplished enough to home school properly anyway.
This is extremely interesting to me on 10:09 - Jan 7 with 1996 viewsGlasgowBlue

This is extremely interesting to me on 09:56 - Jan 7 by Dubtractor

I’ve stated in numerous occasions that I’m fully behind paying educators far more than they currently receive and giving them a triple lock so they don’t fall behind again. So I’m not listing this with an anti teacher agenda.

But I have this theory. Not based on science. Nit backed up by data. But I thought it worth discussing.

There have been a number of days where pupils have not been able to go to school due to strikes. Kids also lost a number of days due to the restrictions during Covid. previous to both, there was always a big emphasis that kids should not miss a minute of school as it would affect their future prospects. There is data to back up that kids who miss x amount of school days fall behind and their future prospects ar less than those with a dull attendance record.

So are there a number of parents out there who as you say “don’t care”, who now have the attitude that if teachers don’t think kids need to be in school at every available opportunity or they will fail, then why should they push their kids to be there? It’s not so important after all.

And I’m not just talking about Karen’s who may be less educated themselves. I’m taking about parents who may take their kids out of school for holidays during term time.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This is extremely interesting to me on 10:11 - Jan 7 with 1983 viewsbadadski

I think majority will be legitimate illness, we have had 4 years of constant viruses. My little one I will only hold back from school if he is really really bad which is seldom with bad feavers etc but even he is well outside of the attendance range and this has included him going into school many times when he shouldn’t have due to no home care options etc
This is extremely interesting to me on 10:13 - Jan 7 with 1979 viewsDubtractor

This is extremely interesting to me on 10:09 - Jan 7 by GlasgowBlue

I’ve stated in numerous occasions that I’m fully behind paying educators far more than they currently receive and giving them a triple lock so they don’t fall behind again. So I’m not listing this with an anti teacher agenda.

But I have this theory. Not based on science. Nit backed up by data. But I thought it worth discussing.

There have been a number of days where pupils have not been able to go to school due to strikes. Kids also lost a number of days due to the restrictions during Covid. previous to both, there was always a big emphasis that kids should not miss a minute of school as it would affect their future prospects. There is data to back up that kids who miss x amount of school days fall behind and their future prospects ar less than those with a dull attendance record.

So are there a number of parents out there who as you say “don’t care”, who now have the attitude that if teachers don’t think kids need to be in school at every available opportunity or they will fail, then why should they push their kids to be there? It’s not so important after all.

And I’m not just talking about Karen’s who may be less educated themselves. I’m taking about parents who may take their kids out of school for holidays during term time.

*post edited a bit in light of further comments on this thread*

You are overthinking it.

They are just lots of bad parents, who don't care. Of course there are lots of exceptions to this, and this edited post reflects that point as I've (understandably) offended some who would fall into that, but the point remains that a lot of parents don't care.

I'll add that there is definitely also a cultural thing with the kids of immigrants from certain countries, where education just isn't seen as a priority.
[Post edited 8 Jan 7:39]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

This is extremely interesting to me on 10:17 - Jan 7 with 1953 viewsGuthrum

Proper home schooling involves being registered, so shouldn't be included in those stats.

It would be interesting to see how they arrived at that figure (does it include illness, family events, term-time holidays?) and how it compares historically.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This is extremely interesting to me on 10:24 - Jan 7 with 1911 viewsHerbivore

As a country we don't really value education. Kids who are smart or who work hard are seen as nerds and are subject to bullying, as a country we've "had enough of experts" and the current government has coopted all levels of education into the culture wars, painting educators and education settings as too woke and not concerned with giving young people the skills they need to further enrich their capitalist masters.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This is extremely interesting to me on 10:28 - Jan 7 with 1900 viewsredrickstuhaart

This is extremely interesting to me on 10:24 - Jan 7 by Herbivore

As a country we don't really value education. Kids who are smart or who work hard are seen as nerds and are subject to bullying, as a country we've "had enough of experts" and the current government has coopted all levels of education into the culture wars, painting educators and education settings as too woke and not concerned with giving young people the skills they need to further enrich their capitalist masters.

I think that is much less true than it used to be- in respect of kids at schools being embarrassed to work hard or be bright.
Login to get fewer ads

This is extremely interesting to me on 12:29 - Jan 7 with 1761 viewsBuhrer

This is extremely interesting to me on 10:09 - Jan 7 by GlasgowBlue

As a parent, I personally agree with your theory. Covid taught us school could be online lessons my kids could complete in 1.5 hours, and that schools are happy provided you reach minimum levels, and don't need to add anything more, and won't, and also that life is about personal experience and positive growth, making it easier to see the paucity of the puppet factories offer and demands.
This is extremely interesting to me on 18:06 - Jan 7 with 1583 viewsHelp

There are many factors that affect education.
In no particular order
1. Bad parents. This could be poorly educated parents who in turn raise poorly educated children. Attitude of parents reflected in attitudes of children. Children arriving at school incorrectly dressed, unfed, in nappies!!, I could list more but you get the drift.

2. Teachers. For some the idea of being a teacher is very soon destroyed by the actual fact of being a teacher. Views on pay are a separate point, but some teachers have a second income and as that grows the first job becomes less important. Number of children in a class, variety of education level in pupils. Try teaching 30 children when some are rick bottom and some are top class.

3. Children. I firmly believe you cannot blame them they are the product of parenting, nature and nurture, by the time most get to school their attitude to things have been shaped by their elders, including older siblings. A good teacher/coach is the ability to alter that mindset for the better.

I am a sports coach and totally agree that there is not enough outlets for children to get away from bad influences, and not just sport. Games (not consoles), music, having fun, finding what activity they like and what activity likes them. Football is not the only sport. If we could present to children a variety of activities that they can try as see what sticks. Also cost is a massive factor on uptake of activities. I know things cannot be provided for free, there is always a cost involved to the provider. But if activities are only available to the affluent, then the poorer continue to have less available to them. Lunch and after school activities in school and outside of school.

I could go on but will not you get the drift. Many influences
This is extremely interesting to me on 21:56 - Jan 7 with 1465 viewsHorsham

This is extremely interesting to me on 10:13 - Jan 7 by Dubtractor

You are overthinking it.

They are just lots of bad parents, who don't care. Of course there are lots of exceptions to this, and this edited post reflects that point as I've (understandably) offended some who would fall into that, but the point remains that a lot of parents don't care.

I'll add that there is definitely also a cultural thing with the kids of immigrants from certain countries, where education just isn't seen as a priority.

I don’t think you’re fully appraised of the facts and you’ve made a crass generalisation.

I am connected to a number of parents who are not sh!t parents in the slightest but who’s kids are not attending school. Why is that? Because I am one of those parents and to be honest it’s hard enough parenting autistic kids suffering from extreme anxiety regarding school attendance without being labelled a sh!t parent yet every single day I try harder.

So with absolute respect kindly FO.
This is extremely interesting to me on 22:16 - Jan 7 with 1408 viewsDarkBrandon

This is extremely interesting to me on 21:56 - Jan 7 by Horsham

I don’t think you’re fully appraised of the facts and you’ve made a crass generalisation.

I am connected to a number of parents who are not sh!t parents in the slightest but who’s kids are not attending school. Why is that? Because I am one of those parents and to be honest it’s hard enough parenting autistic kids suffering from extreme anxiety regarding school attendance without being labelled a sh!t parent yet every single day I try harder.

I’m close to such a case too. Not autism related.

In this one it started after Covid. The lockdowns coincided with the transition into secondary school. Despite the parents being as motivated and as loving as any can be, the child never managed to reintegrate into education when things opened up. Lots of people tried to support the child. All failed.

A life (likely) in ruin, and a family scarred. Repeated around the country innumerable times.
This is extremely interesting to me on 22:19 - Jan 7 with 1393 viewslowhouseblue

that sounds incredibly tough.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

This is extremely interesting to me on 22:29 - Jan 7 with 1312 viewsHorsham

This is extremely interesting to me on 22:16 - Jan 7 by DarkBrandon

I’m close to such a case too. Not autism related.

In this one it started after Covid. The lockdowns coincided with the transition into secondary school. Despite the parents being as motivated and as loving as any can be, the child never managed to reintegrate into education when things opened up. Lots of people tried to support the child. All failed.

A life (likely) in ruin, and a family scarred. Repeated around the country innumerable times.

Obtaining autism diagnosis for my kids was part of a process of understanding, and realising they needed different support.

I’m very glad i did that.

lockdown was incredibly hard on all kids. The end of lockdown as you say a different challenge:Also noting that the current generation of teens are the first social media generation.

Edit just to add - this is GE year. This being politicised now in an era of culture wars…so I feel no optimism of progress but do fear increasing stigmatisation. I hope as a society we can do better than that.
[Post edited 7 Jan 22:36]
This is extremely interesting to me on 22:30 - Jan 7 with 1302 viewsHorsham

This is extremely interesting to me on 22:19 - Jan 7 by lowhouseblue

that sounds incredibly tough.

It is. But it’s not uncommon.
This is extremely interesting to me on 22:31 - Jan 7 with 1289 viewsArnoldMoorhen

This is extremely interesting to me on 10:17 - Jan 7 by Guthrum

Proper home schooling involves being registered, so shouldn't be included in those stats.

It would be interesting to see how they arrived at that figure (does it include illness, family events, term-time holidays?) and how it compares historically.

In Scotland, if a child never enters the school system, then they can get lost very easily. If they leave school to be home-schooled then there is more follow up.

In England, I know of a parent who homeschooled two children, having taken them out of Primary, and who was only visited once, quite early on.

It's shocking, but the follow up that we would assume would happen simply doesn't.
This is extremely interesting to me on 22:34 - Jan 7 with 1270 viewsbournemouthblue

The selling off of playing fields was scandalous really, the sporting provision for state schools I suspect will be far power than many of their foreign counterparts?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

This is extremely interesting to me on 22:56 - Jan 7 with 1228 viewsArnoldMoorhen

This is extremely interesting to me on 10:13 - Jan 7 by Dubtractor

You are overthinking it.

Whereas at the Primary School where I was Chair of Governors, in one of the poorest 10% of wards in the country (by multiple indices of deprivation statistics) Polish, Western African and Chinese heritage parents were amongst the most motivated, and saw education as the opportunity for their children to move beyond their current position in society.

The school was 35-40% non-White British heritage. Most of the least supportive parents were White British heritage. There was definitely a "cultural thing" amongst many of the White British parents to not engage with the school, or help their child to take opportunities.
This is extremely interesting to me on 23:12 - Jan 7 with 1174 viewslowhouseblue

This is extremely interesting to me on 22:29 - Jan 7 by Horsham

Obtaining autism diagnosis for my kids was part of a process of understanding, and realising they needed different support.

I’m very glad i did that.

lockdown was incredibly hard on all kids. The end of lockdown as you say a different challenge:Also noting that the current generation of teens are the first social media generation.

Edit just to add - this is GE year. This being politicised now in an era of culture wars…so I feel no optimism of progress but do fear increasing stigmatisation. I hope as a society we can do better than that.
[Post edited 7 Jan 22:36]

though the only political slant i have heard was the children's commissioner arguing for extra resources to enable kids with particular needs to return to school. she was arguing for one to one mentoring and additional targeted mental health support. at a national level the longer term impact of low attendance in terms of life chances can only be very bad.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

This is extremely interesting to me on 07:00 - Jan 8 with 1006 viewsHorsham

This is extremely interesting to me on 23:12 - Jan 7 by lowhouseblue

though the only political slant i have heard was the children's commissioner arguing for extra resources to enable kids with particular needs to return to school. she was arguing for one to one mentoring and additional targeted mental health support. at a national level the longer term impact of low attendance in terms of life chances can only be very bad.

And that is a positive step. More resources are definitely required not only to help kids into school but also to help those for who it is too late already. What is not needed a load of populist bollox demonising parents who are striving to give their kids an education against enormous odds. Unfortunately rhetoric is free and easy and resources cost money.
[Post edited 8 Jan 7:01]
This is extremely interesting to me on 07:16 - Jan 8 with 966 viewsDubtractor

Just to acknowledge this. Absolutely my point was a huge generalisation, as most short points are, so apologies for any offence (which certainly wasn't intended).

I'm aware of a lot of the issues around schooling for kids (and parents) with autism, and it sounds incredibly tough for all concerned. There is nowhere near enough support or resource

So yes, there are lots of bad parents, but clearly that's not the situation in all cases, and my lesson is not to make generalisations about sensitive topics without elaborating a bit!

This is extremely interesting to me on 07:39 - Jan 8 with 930 viewsHorsham

This is extremely interesting to me on 07:16 - Jan 8 by Dubtractor

Just to acknowledge this. Absolutely my point was a huge generalisation, as most short points are, so apologies for any offence (which certainly wasn't intended).

I'm aware of a lot of the issues around schooling for kids (and parents) with autism, and it sounds incredibly tough for all concerned. There is nowhere near enough support or resource

So yes, there are lots of bad parents, but clearly that's not the situation in all cases, and my lesson is not to make generalisations about sensitive topics without elaborating a bit!

Thank you Dub that’s appreciated.
This is extremely interesting to me on 07:50 - Jan 8 with 898 viewsMookamoo

This is extremely interesting to me on 07:00 - Jan 8 by Horsham

And that is a positive step. More resources are definitely required not only to help kids into school but also to help those for who it is too late already. What is not needed a load of populist bollox demonising parents who are striving to give their kids an education against enormous odds. Unfortunately rhetoric is free and easy and resources cost money.

The numbers are difficult to pin down, but about 10% of the school population is ASD or ADHD. I don't need to tell you, but mainstream education is hostile and often inaccessible for those children.

Going back to the OP, anything that helps break that up with non-classroom activities or smaller groups would be great. Sport, Forest Schools, crafts etc all help get that child into school that day. In terms if the short/medium prospects of the country, that will mean more children getting out the other side with some qualifications. It also means the parent who has had to give up their career to care for that child at home is back in work.
This is extremely interesting to me on 10:01 - Jan 8 with 776 viewslowhouseblue

This is extremely interesting to me on 07:00 - Jan 8 by Horsham

definitely there will be cases just as you describe where mental health difficulties make school attendance impossible. but that is very much a minority of cases and it doesn't explain the current national 20% of absences. in most cases school is the essential place for kids to be. that's true even amongst autistic kids - though clearly not where the issues make school impossible. alas, the national 20% figure doesn't come from parents who are striving to give their kids an education.

This is extremely interesting to me on 10:03 - Jan 8 with 772 viewsPinewoodblue

To tackle any problem you need first to identify exactly what the problem is. This sound bite report doesn’t do anything.

Lazy journalism.

Need to know which groups, sets of circumstances, cause the figure to be so high. Then you can tackle the problem.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024