Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Warky Report: Mum 17:00 - Jan 3 with 1735 viewsWarkystache

She didn't like most football. We took her to Portman Road once, for the Man United FA Cup home game in 1988, sat with the United supporters in the away end as you couldn't get a home ticket for love nor money.

It was a Sunday afternoon, I think, live on the Beeb. We lost 2-1. Mich D'Avray, middling at the best of times yet strangely Mariner-esque in the own goal he somehow diverted past Hallworth from a pumped Bryan Robson free-kick, scored the first for United. "Ooh" said Mum as Mancunians dressed in all-in-one denim celebrated around us. "Should he have done that?".

She was a Jonah for telly football games. That long spell on Sky when we didn't win once? Mum watched a bit of every game. She had a soft spot for the Town, largely because I did, but she was never a fan in the truest sense. Given the choice between a televised game or another repeated episode of "Escape to the Country", she'd immediately plump for watching some couple from Croydon not buy a house in Cornwall.

She'd moan when the World Cup or Euros came around. "A bloody year of wall-to-wall football, no escape". A nil-nil led to accusations of "waste of your time". When I forgot to do maths homework so I could stay up and watch highlights on Sportsnight in the 80's, she punished me by making me stay up until midnight doing it. No Sportsnight. I've always disliked maths ever since.

She was with me though when I bought my first Town shirt, the Pioneer pinstripe in '81. She, my dad and my maternal grandparents went to PR in the off-season, around June time. There's a grainy Kodak photo of me standing proudly outside the club shop (used to be near Churchmans where the temporary ticket office is now in Portman Road) dressed in my new shirt and shorts and a pair of wellies (don't ask. I had a thing for wellies as a kid). She washed that shirt, even after the Adidas badge came off. I still have that shirt. It's now bobblier than a cheap sweater.

She enjoyed our triumphs. She'd have loved Wembley in 2000. She was chuffed when we won promotion last April, the hot sun, the crowds, the hoarseness of my voice. Her first loves were art and dress and Tudor events and codewords and her family. But she also loved new experiences, just being with my Dad and casual rides in the car to view the sea, perhaps stop for a drink and a bite on the way. Her life may have become less as she became ill, and she wasn't able to enjoy as much as she had before, but it was a pleasure just to hear her laugh at my tales, or Bob Mortimer on 'Gone Fishing', or at my peculiar attempts at wrapping pressies.

She's gone and I still can't quite believe it, but she's never forgotten. Rest in peace, Mum, and know that you were very much loved. Thanks folks for reading. Many thanks for all of your kind regards and sympathy.

Warky JANUARY 2024

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

The Warky Report: Mum on 17:05 - Jan 3 with 1673 viewsKeno

Thinking of you mate

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

The Warky Report: Mum on 17:07 - Jan 3 with 1663 viewsZx1988

Beautiful words, Warky.

My thoughts go out to you and your family.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

The Warky Report: Mum on 17:13 - Jan 3 with 1628 viewsfarkenhell

All the best Warky.
The Warky Report: Mum on 17:20 - Jan 3 with 1599 viewsSteve_M

I hope that those happy memories can give you comfort now and in the coming weeks, and also sounds like she would be quietly proud of your eulogy but just wouldn't want to let on.

Best wishes.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The Warky Report: Mum on 17:23 - Jan 3 with 1573 viewsWarkystache

The Warky Report: Mum on 17:20 - Jan 3 by Steve_M

I hope that those happy memories can give you comfort now and in the coming weeks, and also sounds like she would be quietly proud of your eulogy but just wouldn't want to let on.

Best wishes.

Steve - absolutely. She was a pragmatist. She'd be saying "Get on with it". She used to say that to me a lot whenever I had a brief moment of self-absorption/pity.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

The Warky Report: Mum on 17:49 - Jan 3 with 1464 viewsNthQldITFC

That's beautiful, you've painted a lovely picture of your Mum there. My best wishes.

Watching and listening to Bob Mortimer tee-hee-hee-ing on Gan Fishun is great medicine for anybody, is it not.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

The Warky Report: Mum on 17:55 - Jan 3 with 1444 viewsRyorry

Sounds like she was a wonderful woman.

Sending you a virtual hug.
[Post edited 3 Jan 17:56]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The Warky Report: Mum on 17:56 - Jan 3 with 1441 viewsfactual_blue

So glad you have these happy memories. My thoughts are with you.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

The Warky Report: Mum on 18:18 - Jan 3 with 1380 viewsEireannach_gorm

What a wonderful obituary to your mother.
The Warky Report: Mum on 18:21 - Jan 3 with 1375 viewsHatStand

Great memories and reminiscing.

Poll: Piers Morgan / Marmite

The Warky Report: Mum on 18:23 - Jan 3 with 1365 viewswitchdoctor

take care mate…
The Warky Report: Mum on 18:32 - Jan 3 with 1351 viewsChurchman

Thank you for posting this. Your mum sounds great! It made me smile and think of my own mother, who we lost in 2018. My mum loved the theatre (she was an actress in her yoof), the arts, especially ballet, but didn’t like sport.

That included football. She didn’t get it. She did take an interest for a while in the 1970s when I told her Kevin Keegan had an artificial leg from the knee down. Me and my dad convinced her and she believed it for years. She liked medical stuff!

But she was patient with me and my dad who were mad about it and even bought me a scarf for Wembley 2000 and patiently sat through the video replay the night we got back to my house rather the worse for wear. She’d ask how they were doing and took pleasure in our happiness and shared disdain if we lost. She actually knew Brian Talbot’s mum a little and rather fell for Craig Forrest when he got some bottles or whatever down from the top shelf in Sainsbury’s!

In many ways the happy memories of my mum have grown stronger in the passing years. The light of them has totally dimmed out the memory of her ill health before she died and some of the feeling of loss. I’m sure you will find it’s the same for you.

I hope you don’t mind me rather labouring this. It’s my dad’s funeral next week so memories of my own are rather swirling at the moment. Overriding all of them is a sense of gratitude for their long, fulfilling lives.

Rest in peace, Warkys mum. And to all fellow Blues who have passed this last year.
The Warky Report: Mum on 18:50 - Jan 3 with 1283 viewsCBMTOBWMMBG

The Warky Report: Mum on 18:32 - Jan 3 by Churchman

Thank you for posting this. Your mum sounds great! It made me smile and think of my own mother, who we lost in 2018. My mum loved the theatre (she was an actress in her yoof), the arts, especially ballet, but didn’t like sport.

That included football. She didn’t get it. She did take an interest for a while in the 1970s when I told her Kevin Keegan had an artificial leg from the knee down. Me and my dad convinced her and she believed it for years. She liked medical stuff!

But she was patient with me and my dad who were mad about it and even bought me a scarf for Wembley 2000 and patiently sat through the video replay the night we got back to my house rather the worse for wear. She’d ask how they were doing and took pleasure in our happiness and shared disdain if we lost. She actually knew Brian Talbot’s mum a little and rather fell for Craig Forrest when he got some bottles or whatever down from the top shelf in Sainsbury’s!

In many ways the happy memories of my mum have grown stronger in the passing years. The light of them has totally dimmed out the memory of her ill health before she died and some of the feeling of loss. I’m sure you will find it’s the same for you.

I hope you don’t mind me rather labouring this. It’s my dad’s funeral next week so memories of my own are rather swirling at the moment. Overriding all of them is a sense of gratitude for their long, fulfilling lives.

Rest in peace, Warkys mum. And to all fellow Blues who have passed this last year.

All best wishes to both Warky and Churchman.

The forum at its best.
The Warky Report: Mum on 19:59 - Jan 3 with 1167 viewsGuthrum

The Warky Report: Mum on 18:32 - Jan 3 by Churchman

Second your thanks to Warky. I lost my mother back in September. She lasted nearly a year and a half longer than the doctors predicted when she first became ill (largely because she started eating again after coming out of hospital), which was a great blessing.

Mum was Norwich born and bred, but always took an equal, but mild interest in both them and Town (my father was from Ipswich). Always saved me the match calendar supplement from the EADT and we'd talk on the phone about how the season was going. Later on she added Liverpool and Nottingham Forest to the list for my sister's husband and their football-fanatic son.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The Warky Report: Mum on 20:15 - Jan 3 with 1121 viewsbluebudgie

Eloquent as ever Warky, sorry to hear your news and also Churchman. Life is not forever, love is and your obituary shows how much love you have for your mum.
The Warky Report: Mum on 20:35 - Jan 3 with 1075 viewsGeomorph

Condolences warky …
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024