Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Clarke & Morsy 08:42 - Dec 27 with 2497 viewsZx1988

Ignoring the discussion of who (if anyone) should bear the blame for Mavididi being given the freedom of Portman Road for their first goal last night, I found the interactions between Clarke and Morsy interesting to watch.

I saw Morsy giving him a talking to on two occasions - after the Leicester goal, and then later in the second half, after Clarke had controlled a fairly benign pass into touch to give Leicester an attacking throw in.

Clarke's body language was interesting on both occasions - an air of general nonchalance and/or suggesting the attitude of "I've not done anything wrong". Indeed, he and Morsy were still arguing the toss about the goal as Town were lining up again to kick off.

Of course, there's an argument for standing your ground and backing your point of view, but at the same time I'd have expected a relatively junior player to be more engaged with his captain when on the pitch.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Clarke & Morsy on 09:54 - Dec 27 with 2285 viewsBasuco

There were quite a few discussions on the pitch at various times during the game between players, I think it is more about how to they counter the movement and space Leicester were finding, their goal was very well worked to create the man over.
Clarke & Morsy on 09:55 - Dec 27 with 2270 viewsJakeITFC

IMO opinion it was as much Morsy’s fault as it was Clarke’s (the first goal), so I could understand him having a pop back.
Clarke & Morsy on 10:00 - Dec 27 with 2233 viewstextbackup

It’s a health ‘in the moment’ discussion to be had, to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

Morsy will be proud his team will challenge him at times to keep him on his toes and improve also.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Clarke & Morsy on 10:06 - Dec 27 with 2188 viewsPositivelyPortman

Clarke was caught out of position quite a few times. His positional sense seems awry, but then again in the next second he’ll make a perfect tackle. Some of his runs with ball at his feet are pretty good too. I’m still undecided on him.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Clarke & Morsy on 10:08 - Dec 27 with 2168 viewsArnieM

Where is Burns in all of this right side defensive woe? I don’t think that right defensive triangle functions very well as a unit.. Don’t they ever talk for gods sake? Time and again there’s huge gaps in the right corner: and why does it KEEP happening no matter who plays? It’s giving us such a mountain to climb in a lot of games, all needlessly !

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Clarke & Morsy on 10:08 - Dec 27 with 2170 viewsbritbiker

Clarke & Morsy on 09:54 - Dec 27 by Basuco

There were quite a few discussions on the pitch at various times during the game between players, I think it is more about how to they counter the movement and space Leicester were finding, their goal was very well worked to create the man over.

As much as that gap annoyed me you have the bear in mind that on occasions when we attack their will be moments when not every defender can be in the correct place. Leicester stopped that to their advantage.
Clarke & Morsy on 10:14 - Dec 27 with 2141 viewsClareBlue

I know a senior Scout for Man U who works out of Cork and often see him on the commute across from Ireland. He has often said that one of the real telling things about a player who knows he is watching them is how they react after a mistake. Accepting the mistake, quick discussion on how it could be avoided again, if appropriate, and move on. He says that he would have significant issues with players that blamed others, continued a prolonged discussion or do the same thing again and have not learnt from it.
It's easy to be great team mates and positive when you are winning every game but this is our first period for 2 years when we are under (relative) pressure for results and everything isn't going our way. So this wasn't great to see at all. I am pretty sure it won't have been missed by our Manager. We have a proper manager who will sort this out, if it needs sorting. That's the difference now from the previous managers, it is easy to believe he will actually deal with it, if it needs to be dealt with. The Egos of Keane, McCarthy and Lambert, in particular, wouldn't have been able to cope with deciding the best course of action as they always thought a good angry outburst and a bit of swearing was the way to go to cover up their ineptitudes. Which doesn't work with modern players, as we have seen over and over again.
Clarke & Morsy on 10:27 - Dec 27 with 2001 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Clarke & Morsy on 09:55 - Dec 27 by JakeITFC

IMO opinion it was as much Morsy’s fault as it was Clarke’s (the first goal), so I could understand him having a pop back.

This.

I felt that Morsy had lost his man in the build up and that left Clarke out of position.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Login to get fewer ads

Clarke & Morsy on 10:45 - Dec 27 with 1914 viewsFrimleyBlue

Clarke & Morsy on 10:08 - Dec 27 by ArnieM

Where is Burns in all of this right side defensive woe? I don’t think that right defensive triangle functions very well as a unit.. Don’t they ever talk for gods sake? Time and again there’s huge gaps in the right corner: and why does it KEEP happening no matter who plays? It’s giving us such a mountain to climb in a lot of games, all needlessly !

Think he's still stuck in Faes's pocket.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Clarke & Morsy on 10:52 - Dec 27 with 1894 viewscrouchendyachtclub

Clarke & Morsy on 10:27 - Dec 27 by Cheltenham_Blue

This.

I felt that Morsy had lost his man in the build up and that left Clarke out of position.

I didn’t feel like Morsy lost his man per se, he just retreated to where he thought he should be if there hadn’t also been a man on the wing.

Ithink both have switched off because one needs to be mindful of the extra man at the back post but it’s probably more Clarke’s responsibility to hand the man in the middle off to Morsy than it is for Morsy to watch the wing. It’s just doubly annoying that Morsy was covering him already and dropped off.
Clarke & Morsy on 11:10 - Dec 27 with 1810 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Clarke & Morsy on 10:52 - Dec 27 by crouchendyachtclub

I didn’t feel like Morsy lost his man per se, he just retreated to where he thought he should be if there hadn’t also been a man on the wing.

Ithink both have switched off because one needs to be mindful of the extra man at the back post but it’s probably more Clarke’s responsibility to hand the man in the middle off to Morsy than it is for Morsy to watch the wing. It’s just doubly annoying that Morsy was covering him already and dropped off.

I wasn’t talking about Morsy losing Maviddi, more losing Daka who slid Maviddi in.
Clarke had to stay more central, as no one was touch tight to Daka.

Watching it last night, it looked as though Daka should have been Morsy’s man.

Would explain Clarke’s body language as per the OP

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Clarke & Morsy on 11:15 - Dec 27 with 1785 viewsJakeITFC

Clarke & Morsy on 10:52 - Dec 27 by crouchendyachtclub

It was a good tactical move from Leicester to effectively pin their wingers high and wide for the whole time, and when Daka drops deep (which drags Burgess out for the goal) they were also really good at getting Ndidi and Dewsbury-Hall past him (which made them an effective front five).

With that in mind, if Mavididi is Clarke’s man then Morsy has to track the left hand midfield runner and Clarke shuts the space wide. But the runner isn’t handed over properly once we have to step across to fill Burgess’ gap and they work it well out to the left (and a brilliant finish tbf).

In all of this we leave Burns high and wide in the same way Leicester had done to try and leave the out ball to get us up the pitch (which was our main outlet in the first half). All of which is a long way of saying that Clarke’s task was a bit thankless, and he looks like the defender who has made the mistake because in theory it’s the left winger in acres of space who scores, but I don’t think it was an individual error at all.
Clarke & Morsy on 11:31 - Dec 27 with 1731 viewsportmanroadblue

This was happening a lot on our left side, mainly due to Leif playing so advanced, its the midfields and CB responsibility to cover this area if the wing back is attacking. We seemed to havegot that sorted recently, but its now happening on our right side even though Clarke doesnt advance as much Leif, which is confusing. So for me its a collective error, between Clarke, Woolfenden, Morsy/Luongo and Burns.
Clarke & Morsy on 11:35 - Dec 27 with 1706 viewsJon_456

Clarke & Morsy on 10:45 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

Think he's still stuck in Faes's pocket.

I hope that’s a joke.

Burns made Faes look league one last night.
Clarke & Morsy on 11:40 - Dec 27 with 1684 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Clarke & Morsy on 10:06 - Dec 27 by PositivelyPortman

Clarke was caught out of position quite a few times. His positional sense seems awry, but then again in the next second he’ll make a perfect tackle. Some of his runs with ball at his feet are pretty good too. I’m still undecided on him.

I agree, there seems to be a player in there, but his positional sense can be troubling. He’s very good on the ball, and did some good fakes under pressure from their players. I wonder if he’ll ends up as a defensive midfielder a la John Stones.
Clarke & Morsy on 12:20 - Dec 27 with 1526 viewsbackwaywhen

Clarke & Morsy on 10:00 - Dec 27 by textbackup

It’s a health ‘in the moment’ discussion to be had, to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

Morsy will be proud his team will challenge him at times to keep him on his toes and improve also.

Nice to see Davi’s come over to put an arm arm around Clarke as a gee up …. Nice touch .
Clarke & Morsy on 12:25 - Dec 27 with 1507 viewsbournemouthblue

He has good athleticism but is still a bit raw, he will get better positionally and mature

Williams for me is a better defender positionally and probably a bit more composed

I don't think either are the perfect full backs but that's why they are playing in the Championship ultimately

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Clarke & Morsy on 12:59 - Dec 27 with 1435 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Clarke & Morsy on 11:35 - Dec 27 by Jon_456

I hope that’s a joke.

You don't have to respond to a ridiculous, over the top comment, with an even more ridiculous, over the comment. Faes is very classy (he won most headers, has a great first touch, good pace, and times his tackles and interceptions well) but Burns' work rate in the press rattled him at times.
Clarke & Morsy on 16:04 - Dec 27 with 1261 viewsFrankfurtBlue

You could argue that it was simply a well-researched and well-executed move on the part of the table-toppers. Due to the way we play, we are often susceptible to the croos field pass to that side. Janoi would get criticised in the past, but our defence just gets pulled across because of Leif playing so high and getting caught upfield.

You could also argue that they were all at fault. Leif and Taylor being pulled wide, Burgess coming out of the back line to do precisely nothing, Woolfenden seeing the space left by Burgess and shifting over, Clarke likewise, tracking the more obvious danger centrally, and Hladky for his positioning.

On the point of the OP, I think Clarke is young, but has to just accept an element of blame in the moment and when they all look back at it afterwards, let Morsy know that he was far from the only one to blame.
Clarke & Morsy on 16:21 - Dec 27 with 1209 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I think too much can be read into body language in such a situation. If Morsy has made a genuine point and Clarke does not respond to that there would be an issue. However, if there is something being resolved on the pitch and it is put right that is what really matters. There seems a great squad unity and that has helped us get to where we are.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Clarke & Morsy on 16:22 - Dec 27 with 1197 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Clarke & Morsy on 11:35 - Dec 27 by Jon_456

I hope that’s a joke.

I thought Faes looked class but had a hard workout dealing with Burns and then had to face up to Hutchinson afterwards too. Hutchinson got a little more joy because Burns had already worn him out!

To say Burns was in Faes' pocket is an exaggeration but that's Frimmers for you.

EDIT: Faes' and Burns' ratings on here would support those views too.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 16:24]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Clarke & Morsy on 16:30 - Dec 27 with 1161 viewsBigCommon

Without knowing what was said between the two players, people will be just guessing.. Maybe adding 2 plus 2 to make 5...
Morsy could have been trying to calm Clarke down? Reassuring him? Telling him not to worry as it wasn't his fault?... How does anyone actually know what was said?
If you can't take a talking to by your captain without flying off the handle. Then you need to learn to. And have it out, after the match..
Saying that, I love that side of Clarke, the "take no sh1t, alpha male", that resides inside. Just needs to control it a bit, and play the game when his captain is talking to him. I can see he's trying hard to reign it in a bit. He's still developing as a plyer and a man..
Clarke & Morsy on 20:21 - Dec 27 with 822 viewsSwansea_Blue

You say that, but what he did in the lead-up to their goal is textbook covering, and would have left one of their players unmarked on the edge of the box if he’d stayed out wide (and that would be weird - you stay compact and then defend the crosses normally). Morsy can wail all he wants, but it looked very much like Clarke was supposed to drop in. Their player did have too much space, but I’m not sure there was much that could be done without leaving us exposed elsewhere. We’ll never know for sure though unless KM says anything about the goal.

The amount of running Clarke got through last night was ridiculous. Immediately after we equalised he (and Davis) were in their box as we looked for a winner. It’s how we play. It’s scary as hell at times, but KM wants them both to push up. We’re bound to be light at the back at times.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024