Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! 20:13 - Dec 26 with 4306 viewssuffolkpunchdrunk

Jeeeezzzzzz!

How much space do we want to give him?
Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 23:59 - Dec 26 with 1252 viewsBigCommon

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 23:21 - Dec 26 by itfcjoe

Have you not considered that he’s doing what McKenna wants him to do or that he’d have been corrected for it, or replaced by one of the 2 RBs in our squad?

We defend and attack as a team, and very rarely it’s one persons fault when something happens - it’s generally a team breakdown….i appreciate that you might want something more simple to blame

Absolutely Joe.. But there are times when you have to think on your feet, as a player.
KM can't hold his hand in game.. Good players spot things and are in control, rather than reacting to situations, when its a second or two, too late.
Clarke strikes me as a player that , in L1, or lower Champ' , or even earlier in u21, u23 games , has gotten away with it because of his athleticism and physicality..( I'd stick Woolfy in that category, too). He is now up against players that can match him or trump him in that dept'. He needs to kick on mentally, imo. I'm not even sure if some players can. Or whether that is just something that comes naturally, and separates the top 10%...?
I like Clarke and I think he's got all the attributes to be a real leader. Just wish he could over come some slight lapses in concentration. He just won't get away with it at this level or beyond. I want him to be better, rather than replaced.... On tonight's game? Thought Burns could have perhaps tracked back for Leicester's goal a bit quicker. Once Clarke had vacated the RB area. It's not all about Clarke for that one.. Again, though, we don't know whether Burns is under orders to stay high and wide..?
Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 00:05 - Dec 27 with 1235 viewsSimonds92

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 20:39 - Dec 26 by NthQldITFC

Clarke across to cover Woolfie who was across to cover Burgess who went a bit mad into midfield without a midfielder dropping in to cover him.

Exactly this.

Clearly lots of people don't understand the basics of defending if they're criticising Clarke for the goal. Ndidi ran off Morsy and Woolfenden was pulled o er to the keft. If Clarke doesnt tuck in Ndidi walks in to the area in the middle of the goal.
FWIW had young nephews go to the game and sat in the Magnus stand, they said from minute 1 there was a guy in front of them berating Clarke and saying "get out of my club". Whoever you are, you're an absolute embarrassment and do not deserve to watch this team that has made so many people proud to support.
Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 00:09 - Dec 27 with 1226 viewsWickets

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 23:54 - Dec 26 by Eireannach_gorm

I very much doubt that McKenna has told him to vacate the right back position to help out the centre backs. He is not fast enough to recover for poor positional play and not cute enough to just block a speedier opponent. There is a reason that we have conceded twice as many goals as Leicester.

And a reason why we are Top scorers in the league Kieran has called it risk against gain on Radio Suffolk in his after match interviews more than once . Think it is 4 league losses in a year it clearly works and got us promoted .
Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 00:10 - Dec 27 with 1220 viewsNthQldITFC

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 20:51 - Dec 26 by BigCommon

Still thimk he goes too far over.. He's on the penalty spot when the ball is played to Mavididi in loads of space.... Not exactly sure why he comes inside? There was no man to pick up in the centre. Even though Burgess has vacated and Wolf has shuffled across.. The danger was the spare man out wide..
Don't think Vas was that much at fault. Good finish bent round two defenders, imo.
Clarke's had a mixed game. Made one or two good recovery tackles, but mostly from his own misplaced passes..

I see what you mean, but if you look at the first couple of frames of the move on the Sky highlights, it looks like Woolfy is going to have to go to Daka, but Daka slips which allows Morsy to cover him. Clarke makes his decision before Daka slips and rightly feels he has to cover Ndidi, but that slip from Daka which allows Morsy to get to him, in turn allows Woolfy to cover Ndidi - too late for Clarke to abort coming inside perhaps.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 00:12 - Dec 27 with 1223 viewsPhilTWTD

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 20:19 - Dec 26 by Scuzzer

Just have major doubts over Clarke over the last three games. Just gets pulled into the middle on every break against us.
Lets the opposition Wisdeman have so much space.
Clarke was doubling up with Wolfie on one man. By the time he went to cover it was too late.
William's may be the better option at the mo.

Clarke followed Ndidi, who was allowed to break from deep unfollowed on a number of occasions, so not sure it was his fault as he was probably covering what appeared to be the more immediate danger.
Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 00:13 - Dec 27 with 1208 viewsjayessess

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 23:59 - Dec 26 by BigCommon

Absolutely Joe.. But there are times when you have to think on your feet, as a player.
KM can't hold his hand in game.. Good players spot things and are in control, rather than reacting to situations, when its a second or two, too late.
Clarke strikes me as a player that , in L1, or lower Champ' , or even earlier in u21, u23 games , has gotten away with it because of his athleticism and physicality..( I'd stick Woolfy in that category, too). He is now up against players that can match him or trump him in that dept'. He needs to kick on mentally, imo. I'm not even sure if some players can. Or whether that is just something that comes naturally, and separates the top 10%...?
I like Clarke and I think he's got all the attributes to be a real leader. Just wish he could over come some slight lapses in concentration. He just won't get away with it at this level or beyond. I want him to be better, rather than replaced.... On tonight's game? Thought Burns could have perhaps tracked back for Leicester's goal a bit quicker. Once Clarke had vacated the RB area. It's not all about Clarke for that one.. Again, though, we don't know whether Burns is under orders to stay high and wide..?

I really find it hard to believe that almost every game, in defiance of instructions, Harry Clarke just dozily wanders too far in from the touchline, having forgotten over and over that he needs to be marking the opposition left winger, without his incredibly detail-orientated manager doing anything about it.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 0:57]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 00:15 - Dec 27 with 1177 viewsFrimleyBlue

I very much doubt that McKenna has told him to vacate the right back position to help out the centre backs. He is not fast enough to recover for poor positional play and not cute enough to just block a speedier opponent. There is a reason that we have conceded twice as many goals as Leicester.

Clarke moved to intercept a very easy ball to their number 25 who Morsy hadn't tracked. If clarke had stayed wide then the 25 would have had a simple shot at goal. Clarke was in an impossible position.. either mark the closest player and pray they still play him in.. or let it go wide and try to then get across.

I've seen mentions of Burns.. but I've no idea how high he was up the pitch when they got the ball so can't say if he should have been back or not.

But for me. That goal is a team collective issue.

Burgess first. Morsy not tracking the 25. Hladky maybe should have done better...
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 9:31]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 00:24 - Dec 27 with 1162 viewsbilllm

That was crap defending full stop,
Login to get fewer ads

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 00:30 - Dec 27 with 1146 viewsEireannach_gorm

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 00:05 - Dec 27 by Simonds92

Exactly this.

Clearly lots of people don't understand the basics of defending if they're criticising Clarke for the goal. Ndidi ran off Morsy and Woolfenden was pulled o er to the keft. If Clarke doesnt tuck in Ndidi walks in to the area in the middle of the goal.
FWIW had young nephews go to the game and sat in the Magnus stand, they said from minute 1 there was a guy in front of them berating Clarke and saying "get out of my club". Whoever you are, you're an absolute embarrassment and do not deserve to watch this team that has made so many people proud to support.

First I would say it is disgraceful for a so called fan to shout at an Ipswich player to get out of the club. This is unacceptable no matter how bad you think a player is.

On the matter of Clarkes defending, i dont agree with you. I played right back and it does not matter at what level, defending is the same. Once a teams defence gets pulled out of position, they are in trouble. That is the basics of defending. Clarkes positional play is not good and he does not have the speed to recover. If your opponent is faster than you, you have to make yourself big and position yourself to get in their way ( Séamus Coleman is a great exponent of this art as an aging right back ). Our backline as a whole need to get smarter and the whole team need to defend as a unit.
Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 01:07 - Dec 27 with 1113 viewsjayessess

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 00:30 - Dec 27 by Eireannach_gorm

First I would say it is disgraceful for a so called fan to shout at an Ipswich player to get out of the club. This is unacceptable no matter how bad you think a player is.

On the matter of Clarkes defending, i dont agree with you. I played right back and it does not matter at what level, defending is the same. Once a teams defence gets pulled out of position, they are in trouble. That is the basics of defending. Clarkes positional play is not good and he does not have the speed to recover. If your opponent is faster than you, you have to make yourself big and position yourself to get in their way ( Séamus Coleman is a great exponent of this art as an aging right back ). Our backline as a whole need to get smarter and the whole team need to defend as a unit.

Which seems likelier to you?

(a) Clarke is assigned to stay wide and follow his winger, but doesn't follow this instruction week after week. McKenna can't get him to correct this flaw, but keeps him in the starting eleven nevertheless.

(b) Clarke plays most matches because he roughly does as instructed most of the time, maintaining the defensive shape that we drill in training every week.

(Incidentally, we gave up just 5 shots, total xG 0.28 this evening, against the joint top-scorers in the league, seems an odd moment to tear into our defenders?)
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 1:10]

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 01:22 - Dec 27 with 1097 viewsBigCommon

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 01:07 - Dec 27 by jayessess

Which seems likelier to you?

(a) Clarke is assigned to stay wide and follow his winger, but doesn't follow this instruction week after week. McKenna can't get him to correct this flaw, but keeps him in the starting eleven nevertheless.

(b) Clarke plays most matches because he roughly does as instructed most of the time, maintaining the defensive shape that we drill in training every week.

(Incidentally, we gave up just 5 shots, total xG 0.28 this evening, against the joint top-scorers in the league, seems an odd moment to tear into our defenders?)
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 1:10]

He does as he's told... But better players can think on their feet, without being total mavericks..
Reading the game and positioning . Being aware of what's around you. Instead of relying on whatever was put up on a white board ...
Oppo' aren't robots, they won't always do what the white board says.
Following instructions gets you so far... Good players take the lead in moments when they need to. They anticipate, deal with it, then fall back into the system/shape...
Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 07:38 - Dec 27 with 1035 viewsitfcjoe

We’ve had this all season though, we leave the opposition left winger in space and then try and stop him one v one - it’s happened so often that it obviously would have been ‘fixed’ if it isn’t what we were intending to do.

If Clarke stays really wide, then a coach and horses can drive through the middle of the pitch in a far more dangerous area.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 07:44 - Dec 27 with 1010 viewsitfcjoe

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 01:22 - Dec 27 by BigCommon

He does as he's told... But better players can think on their feet, without being total mavericks..
Reading the game and positioning . Being aware of what's around you. Instead of relying on whatever was put up on a white board ...
Oppo' aren't robots, they won't always do what the white board says.
Following instructions gets you so far... Good players take the lead in moments when they need to. They anticipate, deal with it, then fall back into the system/shape...

Doing what your told in this Ipswich team isn’t following whiteboard instructions, it’s reacting to th dozens of in game scenarios and positions that they are drilled into each week.

Burgess was dragged forwards, Ndidi had run off Morsy, we had ourselves in decent shape and it took an excellent finish from a quality player in a position you wouldn’t expect him to score from to beat us

We play a style all over the pitch that leaves a man spare, as jayessess has said - do we think that McKenna is just left tearing his hair out at Clarke’s positioning, or that he is doing what he want him to do?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 08:11 - Dec 27 with 956 viewstractorboy1978

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 07:38 - Dec 27 by itfcjoe

We’ve had this all season though, we leave the opposition left winger in space and then try and stop him one v one - it’s happened so often that it obviously would have been ‘fixed’ if it isn’t what we were intending to do.

If Clarke stays really wide, then a coach and horses can drive through the middle of the pitch in a far more dangerous area.

I tried explaining this to the bloke behind me last night but he carried on with his tirade of abuse regardless. Whoever plays RB for us has a very hard job on their hands because they have to do a lot of 1 v 1 defending.
Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 08:22 - Dec 27 with 935 viewstractorboy1978

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 08:22 - Dec 27 with 936 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Is it because their back 4 cost more than what game changer paid for the entire club?

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 09:11 - Dec 27 with 884 viewsSenatorBlue

Surprised there a people who still don’t see this as it is something KMc has done from his first day. We play a back 4, but the reason Leif can play so far forward is the opposite fullback tucks in and makes a three. Donacian did it before, HC now. Tactically HC is asked to do this, but admittedly he’s not the defender JD is or has the positional experience. That will come as HC is still young. HC also gives so much more going forward.

Leicester specifically targeted this last night. All game the winger hugged the line, and runners targeted running of the back off Morsey or the full back running diagonally across HC towards Woolf in order to draw HC in, with their midfield continuously looking to ping cross field into that space. HC cannot leave those runners as it would leave Woolf 2-1, which happened once when HC stayed wide and Woolf just got the block in.

Normally you would expect Burns to cover that wide man, but we are aggressive on the press and attack minded and take the risk. I’d rather that. It was noticeable second half, we marginally dropped the initial press, to kill that space, to great effect. KJ purposely sat, with CC and MH, pressing only once they “contained” Leicester on one side.

Was a good game, both to watch and tactically. They clearly have a talented squad, and we did well to settle after their goal, and then work really hard and patiently to get back into the game. Deserved the draw, and bar the ball rolling our way, could have won.

Roll on QPR
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 9:13]
Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 09:31 - Dec 27 with 848 viewsFrimleyBlue

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 00:12 - Dec 27 by PhilTWTD

Clarke followed Ndidi, who was allowed to break from deep unfollowed on a number of occasions, so not sure it was his fault as he was probably covering what appeared to be the more immediate danger.

Was he the 25 Phil?

Waka waka eh eh

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 09:33 - Dec 27 with 830 viewsFrimleyBlue

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 08:22 - Dec 27 by tractorboy1978

This was exactly what I meant last night, Morsy lost the 25 again in this clip, if he's cut him off, then clarke can worry about his winger.

Before people say Wolfy should cover 25, no he's covering his position correctly imo.

Waka waka eh eh

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 10:42 - Dec 27 with 776 viewsPhilTWTD

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 09:31 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

Was he the 25 Phil?

Yes.
Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 11:12 - Dec 27 with 752 viewscrouchendyachtclub

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 00:30 - Dec 27 by Eireannach_gorm

A right back will always be expected to drop in there. Clarke is covering the right space, my only question as I’ve posted on another thread is why that gap was there, he should really be tracking where his man is and getting Morsy in there but once the space at the far post opens up then Clarke has done the correct thing in occupying it.
Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 04:02 - Dec 28 with 639 viewsEireannach_gorm

Last and final comment on Clarkes positioning.

I dont believe that Daka could even see Ndidi but he certainly could see Mavididi was in oceans of space. Look at the full head on footage that posters keep using the selective still frame from. Clarke is playing Centre Back there. I agree that Dakas simple turn destroyed our collective defence far to easy. If this is a McKenna tactic we are going to need a faster Right Back or improve our Midfield defence.

https://manifest.prod.boltdns.net/manifest/v1/hls/v4/clear/6057984924001/2435939
Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 06:40 - Dec 28 with 617 viewsKieran_Knows

I think it was clear from the outset that Leicester had told their 2 wingers to hug the touch line when they had the ball, and use the 3rd man midfield run which meant Clarke had to go in and cover that which left the winger that side in acres of space every time.

Don’t think it’s particularly anyone’s fault, just Leicester playing a good way and exploiting areas of the pitch.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 13:39 - Dec 28 with 496 viewsjayessess

Mavididi - The Freedom Of Portman Road! on 04:02 - Dec 28 by Eireannach_gorm

Last and final comment on Clarkes positioning.

I dont believe that Daka could even see Ndidi but he certainly could see Mavididi was in oceans of space. Look at the full head on footage that posters keep using the selective still frame from. Clarke is playing Centre Back there. I agree that Dakas simple turn destroyed our collective defence far to easy. If this is a McKenna tactic we are going to need a faster Right Back or improve our Midfield defence.

https://manifest.prod.boltdns.net/manifest/v1/hls/v4/clear/6057984924001/2435939

We've given up 5 shots across 96 minutes against the joint-most prolific team in the league. Reproduce that exact defensive performance across the next 22 games we will almost certainly be promoted.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024