Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What areas would you improve in January? 12:39 - Dec 3 with 5915 viewsbournemouthblue

We are crying out for a striker who can hold the ball up when Hirst goes off but I'd say we probably need backup for Davis. He does a tonne of work and if he was to get injured, having Clarke or Williams there for any length of time, isn't going to be ideal.

I suppose Humphreys is probably the backup currently but that's surely not ideal?

With Luongo and Morsy possibly away, we desperately need another combative midfielder who can get amongst it

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

What areas would you improve in January? on 12:41 - Dec 3 with 3464 viewsArnieM

Someone next to me yesterday said he’d heard Wet Spam are eying Davis and a figure of £30m being mentioned. I bloody hope not!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

What areas would you improve in January? on 12:46 - Dec 3 with 3448 viewsNthQldITFC

What areas would you improve in January? on 12:41 - Dec 3 by ArnieM

Someone next to me yesterday said he’d heard Wet Spam are eying Davis and a figure of £30m being mentioned. I bloody hope not!

It's a real worry, but on the other hand, give McKenna three £10m players or five £6m players (FFP headroom and wages considered) and you can only imagine we'd be in an even better position than we are now.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

What areas would you improve in January? on 12:49 - Dec 3 with 3431 viewsHipsterectomy

Even if we went up I think Davis won't be here in Sept. I hope we can keep him until the end of the season though...

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

What areas would you improve in January? on 12:55 - Dec 3 with 3401 viewsMK1

I think a RB/CM/CF are the 3 departments to add quality alternatives to. The RB has to have pace, the CM has to be a no nonsense type and the CF has to be Hirst esque to take some of the pressure off him. Out of the 3, I would prioritise the CM.
What areas would you improve in January? on 13:05 - Dec 3 with 3361 viewsCheltenham_Blue

What areas would you improve in January? on 12:55 - Dec 3 by MK1

I think a RB/CM/CF are the 3 departments to add quality alternatives to. The RB has to have pace, the CM has to be a no nonsense type and the CF has to be Hirst esque to take some of the pressure off him. Out of the 3, I would prioritise the CM.

Yep, we definitely need a Morsy like-for-like player, but a much younger version, ready to take over in due course.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

What areas would you improve in January? on 13:32 - Dec 3 with 3297 viewsBigCommon

Think we'll be hard pushed to " improve " on any of the first 11/12 players. Given the sort of transfer fees that would entail... But for added depth, we could do with a solid experienced CMF, and some back up for Leif at LWB. (Remains to be seen if whether or not Humphry's can be utilised in a LWB role, though)..
I don't recall Hirst really holding the ball up in attack. I mean he wins a lot of duels and is full of running to pull defenders about. But does he really hold the ball up? The problem we have, is finding a forward that can do what Hirst does. Run himself selflessly into the ground and be a constant thorn. with good spatial awareness and speed of thought for quick link up play. On top of anything else expected of a CF, they will need to have some level of pace and stamina to aid our press.. You don't realize how important and good a player Hirst is, in KM's game plan, untill you add up everything he does, and try to find an alternative, like for like addition to the squad.. Not easy, not at all easy..
What areas would you improve in January? on 13:37 - Dec 3 with 3282 viewsParisBlue

We're going to have to get used to that, that's the model.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

What areas would you improve in January? on 13:43 - Dec 3 with 3260 viewsronnyd

What areas would you improve in January? on 12:46 - Dec 3 by NthQldITFC

It's a real worry, but on the other hand, give McKenna three £10m players or five £6m players (FFP headroom and wages considered) and you can only imagine we'd be in an even better position than we are now.

Silly question perhaps ,but if we did get a big fee for a player, would it be within the FFP rules that the whole of the money can be used to buy others.
Login to get fewer ads

What areas would you improve in January? on 13:51 - Dec 3 with 3220 viewsHerbivore

Not sure we need a RB, Williams and Clarke are both good options there.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What areas would you improve in January? on 13:54 - Dec 3 with 3204 viewsnrb1985

What areas would you improve in January? on 12:46 - Dec 3 by NthQldITFC

I would drive him there myself for £30m or carry him on my back.

A ridiculous sum of money for a left back with half a good season in the champ under his belt. Almost double what the Cov guy went for and 3x Piroe.
What areas would you improve in January? on 13:55 - Dec 3 with 3198 viewscbower

I see the no- nonsense bit but lkie both Morsy and Luongo, any central midfielder in our set up needs to be very comfortable receiving the ball from keeper and defenders on the half turn to keep us moving. A strictly defensive midfielder like Skuse or Hyam ( both of whom had fine attributes in Mick's team, would be out of place in the current set up. Selfish, I know, but I really don't want either of Mass or Morsy to get in their respective squads. We will miss Burgess too but there is decent cover in Edmundson and Tuanzebe.

bluescouser

What areas would you improve in January? on 13:56 - Dec 3 with 3187 viewsjayessess

If Davis gets injured, we're just going to have to accept being a worse team. There's no way of carrying a player even vaguely as good as a reserve.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

What areas would you improve in January? on 14:00 - Dec 3 with 3168 viewsDubtractor

CF
CM
LB

LB very much a nice to have, other 2 feel essential to maintain our form and give us alternatives.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

What areas would you improve in January? on 23:30 - Dec 3 with 2830 viewsbournemouthblue

What areas would you improve in January? on 13:32 - Dec 3 by BigCommon

Think we'll be hard pushed to " improve " on any of the first 11/12 players. Given the sort of transfer fees that would entail... But for added depth, we could do with a solid experienced CMF, and some back up for Leif at LWB. (Remains to be seen if whether or not Humphry's can be utilised in a LWB role, though)..
I don't recall Hirst really holding the ball up in attack. I mean he wins a lot of duels and is full of running to pull defenders about. But does he really hold the ball up? The problem we have, is finding a forward that can do what Hirst does. Run himself selflessly into the ground and be a constant thorn. with good spatial awareness and speed of thought for quick link up play. On top of anything else expected of a CF, they will need to have some level of pace and stamina to aid our press.. You don't realize how important and good a player Hirst is, in KM's game plan, untill you add up everything he does, and try to find an alternative, like for like addition to the squad.. Not easy, not at all easy..

Ladapo is probably better at that part of the game but less good at the selfless running and work rate

If you could find a mix between the two, you'd have a very useful recruit indeed

What areas would you improve in January? on 23:33 - Dec 3 with 2819 viewsbournemouthblue

What areas would you improve in January? on 14:00 - Dec 3 by Dubtractor

CF
CM
LB

LB very much a nice to have, other 2 feel essential to maintain our form and give us alternatives.

Agreed, we look a bit light when Morsy or Luongo are out so a third alternative would be useful

Ball isn't a bad player by any means but probably not as nimble as Morsy or Luongo

What areas would you improve in January? on 23:57 - Dec 3 with 2766 viewsZapers

Haha, I think you can definitely discount your figure of £30mill, that's not going to be paid!
What areas would you improve in January? on 07:34 - Dec 4 with 2544 viewshoppy

Haverhill perhaps? Maybe Lowestoft? Probably take longer than just January though.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

What areas would you improve in January? on 07:36 - Dec 4 with 2538 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

What areas would you improve in January? on 23:33 - Dec 3 by bournemouthblue

Agreed, we look a bit light when Morsy or Luongo are out so a third alternative would be useful

Ball isn't a bad player by any means but probably not as nimble as Morsy or Luongo

Ball is far too anonymous to be adequate cover in CM at the level we are at. But Morsy and Luongo are able to get a game by the scruff of the neck and dominate play. In my opinion cover here is the most important if we want to maintain our current levels. Surely Evans will get moved on in Jan and free up a place.
What areas would you improve in January? on 09:13 - Dec 4 with 2401 viewsviewfromtheu2

What areas would you improve in January? on 07:36 - Dec 4 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Ball is far too anonymous to be adequate cover in CM at the level we are at. But Morsy and Luongo are able to get a game by the scruff of the neck and dominate play. In my opinion cover here is the most important if we want to maintain our current levels. Surely Evans will get moved on in Jan and free up a place.

We still haven't seen enough of Ball BUT what I have seen has been decent. He will get game time and let's not forget he was a championship regular until relatively recently with over 100 appearances. I'd argue the unexpected form of Luongo, signed as backup player, has been why he hasn't had much gametime. As for Davis, we'll just have to live with that if and when he goes, obvs I don't want him too but he's freakishly good and consistent...who would have thought it when we signed him?

@BonoITFC

What areas would you improve in January? on 09:15 - Dec 4 with 2384 viewsKieran_Knows

Striker - absolute must
Centre mid (but maybe someone who can play as a 10 as well).
Number 10 (as above)
Wide player.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

What areas would you improve in January? on 09:20 - Dec 4 with 2350 viewstextbackup

Striker - to rival Hirst for a starting spot.

If he’s out for any length of time and we could be in trouble

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

What areas would you improve in January? on 09:21 - Dec 4 with 2346 viewsGlasgowBlue

We need another striker in the style of Hirst. The drop off between him and is replacements is huge. Another central midfielder in the style of Morsy. Maybe another left back. Williams was brought in because he can play both sides but with Clarke playing through injury we could be in trouble if either Leif or Williams are injured/suspended at the same time.

I think we will see Janoi, Ladapo, Humphreys, Evans and Baggot leave in January. Some on loan obviously so plenty of spaces will be freed up.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

What areas would you improve in January? on 09:25 - Dec 4 with 2327 viewsDarkBrandon

What areas would you improve in January? on 09:15 - Dec 4 by Kieran_Knows

Striker - absolute must
Centre mid (but maybe someone who can play as a 10 as well).
Number 10 (as above)
Wide player.

Hmm. That’s a lot.

I think we are being a little optimistic, based upon what happened last season, which surprised everyone.

If we can get a striker in I’m happy. One that we would expect to genuinely offer a threat from the bench. Like either Harness or Hutchinson do. If the budget only stretches to the one signing … so be it.

The other obvious position is cover for Luongo/Morsi, but I don’t look at the squad and think we need a number 10 or a wide player.
What areas would you improve in January? on 09:26 - Dec 4 with 2326 viewsDarkBrandon

What areas would you improve in January? on 09:21 - Dec 4 by GlasgowBlue

We need another striker in the style of Hirst. The drop off between him and is replacements is huge. Another central midfielder in the style of Morsy. Maybe another left back. Williams was brought in because he can play both sides but with Clarke playing through injury we could be in trouble if either Leif or Williams are injured/suspended at the same time.

I think we will see Janoi, Ladapo, Humphreys, Evans and Baggot leave in January. Some on loan obviously so plenty of spaces will be freed up.

Presumably Evans will just drop out of the squad

Edit - and as was pointed out to me, Humphrey’s and Baggott don’t count towards the squad limit. They both could do with playing games though
[Post edited 4 Dec 2023 9:29]
What areas would you improve in January? on 09:28 - Dec 4 with 2313 viewsGlasgowBlue

What areas would you improve in January? on 09:26 - Dec 4 by DarkBrandon

Presumably Evans will just drop out of the squad

Edit - and as was pointed out to me, Humphrey’s and Baggott don’t count towards the squad limit. They both could do with playing games though
[Post edited 4 Dec 2023 9:29]

Would make sense.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024