Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" 13:14 - Nov 17 with 4009 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

but not for most of you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67448602

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 13:19 - Nov 17 with 3741 viewsHerbivore

At the same time as they are planning to cut benefits for those who are unable to work. This is about as classic Tory as you can get really, rob from the poor to pay the rich.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 13:19 - Nov 17 with 3738 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Tax cuts? With an election coming up? Who'd have thunk it!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 13:32 - Nov 17 with 3681 viewsbaxterbasics

If they want to cut taxes in a way that might attract some 'ordinary working' voters back the way to do it is raise the effing thresholds! That's one thing the Cameron/Osborne regime got right. Been frozen way too long now though. #fiscaldrag

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 13:40 - Nov 17 with 3633 viewsDubtractor

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 13:32 - Nov 17 by baxterbasics

If they want to cut taxes in a way that might attract some 'ordinary working' voters back the way to do it is raise the effing thresholds! That's one thing the Cameron/Osborne regime got right. Been frozen way too long now though. #fiscaldrag

Yep. Makes a difference to the whole workforce potentially, rather than a handful of rich people.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 13:44 - Nov 17 with 3624 viewsHerbivore

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 13:32 - Nov 17 by baxterbasics

Not sure if you've been asleep for the last decade, mate, but the Tories aren't much interested in doing things that would benefit most people.

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 14:02 - Nov 17 with 3526 viewsGeoffSentence

"That's one thing the Cameron/Osborne regime got right. "

And that was a Liberal Democrat policy.

First thing in their manifesto.

https://www.markpack.org.uk/files/2015/01/Liberal-Democrat-manifesto-2010.pdf

It wasn't a Conservative policy, though they did have increasing the inheritance tax threshold in their manifesto back then.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 16:18 - Nov 17 with 3346 viewsBlueBadger

It's almost as if the people you've supporting all your life are interested in only enriching themselves and their mates.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 20:16 - Nov 17 with 3229 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 16:18 - Nov 17 by BlueBadger

It's almost as if the people you've supporting all your life are interested in only enriching themselves and their mates.

Generally cutting taxation is a Tory policy and goes hand-in-hand with increased borrowing and cutting spending. To cut taxation on the very richest is even worse. Rob from the poorest to pay the richest.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 20:28 - Nov 17 with 3203 viewsDarkHorse

Fookin disgraceful.
"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 06:29 - Nov 18 with 3062 viewsjonbull88

Tbf with house prices nowadays a lot more people have and will pay inheritance tax.
"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 07:26 - Nov 18 with 3010 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 06:29 - Nov 18 by jonbull88

Tbf with house prices nowadays a lot more people have and will pay inheritance tax.

Fairness doesn't come into it.

My numbers may be a tad out of date (a couple of years at most) but I'm sure someone will check.

UK PAYE tax payers - approx 32m (of whom basic rate payers 28m and higher rate payers 4m)
UK deaths per year - approx 700,000
UK estates liable to Inheritance tax per year - approx 28,000. Even a projected 50% increase takes this to 42,000, or 0.0013% of those paying PAYE.

Assuming it is the main house that is passed on, Inheritance tax is payable on estates valued at £500,000 or more. In July of this year the average UK house price was £290,000.

"Fair". Pah

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 09:24 - Nov 18 with 2931 viewsDJR

But the exemption if the family home is left to descendants is potentially £1 million.

People in that situation do not strike me as being top of the list when it comes to tax cuts.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2023 9:26]
"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 09:25 - Nov 18 with 2924 viewsDJR

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 07:26 - Nov 18 by You_Bloo_Right

Fairness doesn't come into it.

My numbers may be a tad out of date (a couple of years at most) but I'm sure someone will check.

UK PAYE tax payers - approx 32m (of whom basic rate payers 28m and higher rate payers 4m)
UK deaths per year - approx 700,000
UK estates liable to Inheritance tax per year - approx 28,000. Even a projected 50% increase takes this to 42,000, or 0.0013% of those paying PAYE.

Assuming it is the main house that is passed on, Inheritance tax is payable on estates valued at £500,000 or more. In July of this year the average UK house price was £290,000.

"Fair". Pah

The exemption in such a case is potentially £1 million
"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 09:31 - Nov 18 with 2897 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This is what the Government are hoping that people will fear.

It is still a fairly exclusive set of properties that worth £900k plus.

If someone is a millionaire, is it that unreasonable that some of their assets are taxed at the point of inheritance? Surely it is more reasonable than those who own a £200k property spend a fair chunk of that on care.

It is also noteworthy that many estates of much over £1M will still avoid Inheritance Tax altogether by placing assets into Trust Funds. In many respects, it is only really an issue for owners of very valuable or 4 or more properties.

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 10:04 - Nov 18 with 2857 viewsPlums

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 09:31 - Nov 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

If someone is a millionaire, is it that unreasonable that some of their assets are taxed at the point of inheritance? Surely it is more reasonable than those who own a £200k property spend a fair chunk of that on care.

It is also noteworthy that many estates of much over £1M will still avoid Inheritance Tax altogether by placing assets into Trust Funds. In many respects, it is only really an issue for owners of very valuable or 4 or more properties.

Let's not forget that large swathes of the country have been brainwashed to such a degree, they won't even know that they won't pay inheritance tax so will see this cut as a good thing.

See also the famed, shameful 'Rwanda policyl' where the angry masses haven't spotted it only applies to 200 people initially and will result in a number of vulnerable refugees already in Rwanda coming here.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 10:15 - Nov 18 with 2837 viewsSwansea_Blue

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 09:31 - Nov 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think Plums has probably got to the core of it. The practicalities of this are neither here nor there. As you say, there are ways to protect your estate whatever the value so the announcement is practically meaningless, and probably just electioneering theatre.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 16:25 - Nov 18 with 2705 viewsNeedhamChris

I didn't realise for a while that life insurance is also included in final estate, this acts as a reminder to put that in trust!

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 18:21 - Nov 18 with 2587 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 16:25 - Nov 18 by NeedhamChris

I didn't realise for a while that life insurance is also included in final estate, this acts as a reminder to put that in trust!

Do many people have life insurance other than to cover debts which obviously isn't going to be taxed?

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 17:56 - Nov 19 with 2378 viewsNeedhamChris

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 18:21 - Nov 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

Do many people have life insurance other than to cover debts which obviously isn't going to be taxed?

I don't know.... but with a young child and the means I don't see why not. 1m life insurance isn't much more than the monthly season ticket payment

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 18:03 - Nov 19 with 2349 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 17:56 - Nov 19 by NeedhamChris

I don't know.... but with a young child and the means I don't see why not. 1m life insurance isn't much more than the monthly season ticket payment

I would have thought that if you have that sort of spare money, you would be better paying it into an investment fund.

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 18:10 - Nov 19 with 2326 viewsNeedhamChris

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 18:03 - Nov 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

I would have thought that if you have that sort of spare money, you would be better paying it into an investment fund.

Depends - see your point but it's not a 'death before 70' kind of scenario. More of a short-term to make sure if something happens before he's 18 then they'll be okay.

With that in mind I hope it's very much a waste of money!

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 09:06 - Nov 20 with 2140 viewssoupytwist

The figures I've seen quoted by a variety of sources are that 4% of deaths currently incur inheritance tax. That's projected to rise to 7% in coming years.

That's a decent-sized tax cut for a very small number of people.
"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 10:46 - Nov 20 with 2073 viewsbaxterbasics

Seems the Guardian are paying attention to my post:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/ng-interactive/2023/oct/02/uk-income-tax-ho

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 11:17 - Nov 20 with 2029 viewsSwansea_Blue

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 16:25 - Nov 18 by NeedhamChris

Everything is. Depending on who you work for, you sometimes get large payouts (£100k+) on from employer death in service schemes as well. It takes no time to wrack up an estate of £500k for an individual or £1m for a couple. Remember that a lot of this is involving people at or near the end of their careers, so a couple of professional people working all their lives and a nice house in leaf suburbia or a townhouse in a desirable city will have will have no problem hitting the thresholds. Undoubtedly there are a lot of people who aren't so luck of course.

There's a huge geographical bias in all of this too. The average price of a terrace in London is over £800k now, whereas in Burnley....

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 11:47 - Nov 20 with 1951 viewsHerbivore

"Virtually impossible" to "under consideration" on 11:17 - Nov 20 by Swansea_Blue

Everything is. Depending on who you work for, you sometimes get large payouts (£100k+) on from employer death in service schemes as well. It takes no time to wrack up an estate of £500k for an individual or £1m for a couple. Remember that a lot of this is involving people at or near the end of their careers, so a couple of professional people working all their lives and a nice house in leaf suburbia or a townhouse in a desirable city will have will have no problem hitting the thresholds. Undoubtedly there are a lot of people who aren't so luck of course.

There's a huge geographical bias in all of this too. The average price of a terrace in London is over £800k now, whereas in Burnley....

Although only 4% of people end up paying any inheritance tax so not sure just how easy it is for people to build up and pass on an estate worth half a million plus.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024