Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boxing 09:11 - Nov 17 with 2139 viewsgtsb1966

very quickly going down the pan isn't it. My second favourite sport and the future looks bleak. Fury, AJ and Wilder all fighting in Saudi Arabia in the next few months. Boxing to me is like football in as much as the atmosphere is a very big thing and part of the spectacle. Take away the atmosphere and it becomes dull. I used to love those nights of having a few mates around, beers flowing and a big boxing event with a decent undercard. 80,000 at Wembley etc. Once the Saudis get bored with it and the viewing figures for the TV companies hit rock bottom only then will the sport try to go back in time but will it be too late?
Boxing on 09:30 - Nov 17 with 2064 viewsBlueDouglas

Yep. The Fury - Ngannou fight was an absolute joke. Will probably go watch Wardley if he fights at PR, looked good against Adeleye.
Boxing on 09:38 - Nov 17 with 2032 viewsReus30

Agree with you there.

And then this crossover pish, PPVs and too many promoters essentially is choking british boxing as a whole too. I used to love watching it but now my interest is completely dulled.

Too many fights are not being made in order to protect the loss column but all of a sudden they have this megacard in front of fans who are there for the social media etc and not actual boxing fans.....

God knows how much that PPV will cost.

Edit: Agreed on Fabio, looked class.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2023 9:39]
Boxing on 09:40 - Nov 17 with 2008 viewsTractorCam

Not forgetting the other circus with all the influencers.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Boxing on 10:02 - Nov 17 with 1951 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Likewise it was my second favourite sport. Unfortunately, it’s killing itself - protecting fighters records, lack of talent in some weight classes, selling out to Saudi etc. I probably watch more MMA now due to those factors, and it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s widely the case.
Boxing on 10:10 - Nov 17 with 1907 viewsITFC_Forever

I've never been a massive fan, but would tune in for the big fights back in the day (the likes of Benn, Watson, Eubank, Prince Naseem, Bruno, Tyson etc).

But I've never been interested enough for PPV, and now you have idiot social media influencers ruining it as well.
Weigh-ins are look contrived and scripted, and you also have crossover to martial arts which blurs the lines further.

For all that, I wish Fabio Wardley well, but I'm not sure him headlining an event at PR is going to pull in more than a few thousand - surely he'd have to be an undercard fight to a Fury or similar... and they wouldn't be interested in fighting in Ipswich, there is no reason for them to do so when they could have their pick of virtually anywhere in the world.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2023 10:11]

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Boxing on 10:15 - Nov 17 with 1868 viewswkj

Boxing hit it's peak during the Brawl for All - all downhill there after

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Boxing on 15:03 - Nov 17 with 1607 viewsArnoldMoorhen

We have had the Fury v Wilder trilogy, as the definitive contribution to the all-time canon from this generation of Heavyweights, and these things go in cycles.

It's now several old men trying to work out how to extract maximum value from their brand for the least amount of physical damage.

Whilst the hype has always been around Heavyweight, the best all-round boxers, and the best fights, have usually been in the categories around Middleweight.

The Saudis will take a while to catch onto that, so there should still be plenty of good boxing to watch.
Boxing on 16:24 - Nov 18 with 1395 viewsibbleobble

Both sports are great irrespective of atmosphere; atmosphere just makes them better.
Login to get fewer ads

Boxing on 16:42 - Nov 18 with 1369 viewsallezlesbleus

Boxing on 10:10 - Nov 17 by ITFC_Forever

I've never been a massive fan, but would tune in for the big fights back in the day (the likes of Benn, Watson, Eubank, Prince Naseem, Bruno, Tyson etc).

But I've never been interested enough for PPV, and now you have idiot social media influencers ruining it as well.
Weigh-ins are look contrived and scripted, and you also have crossover to martial arts which blurs the lines further.

For all that, I wish Fabio Wardley well, but I'm not sure him headlining an event at PR is going to pull in more than a few thousand - surely he'd have to be an undercard fight to a Fury or similar... and they wouldn't be interested in fighting in Ipswich, there is no reason for them to do so when they could have their pick of virtually anywhere in the world.

I think Fabio fighting at PR would bring in a large number of Town fans, before counting "normal boxing fans" attending as well. He looks a great prospect and would create a great atmosphere at PR if he did get to fight here.
Boxing on 16:57 - Nov 18 with 1336 viewsHerbivore

Boxing on 16:42 - Nov 18 by allezlesbleus

I think Fabio fighting at PR would bring in a large number of Town fans, before counting "normal boxing fans" attending as well. He looks a great prospect and would create a great atmosphere at PR if he did get to fight here.

Yeah, I think he'd sell well to be honest, especially if there was a co-headliner or strong support fight. Live boxing is still very popular and locals often get behind boxing prospects and come out in numbers to support them. I'd definitely be at PR to watch Wardley fight.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Boxing on 17:06 - Nov 18 with 1308 viewsibbleobble

Boxing on 10:10 - Nov 17 by ITFC_Forever

Agree regarding the social influencers and mixed martial artists crossing over. Absolute nonsense all round. None of them have been interesting spectacles. They should draw a line under them now irrespective of Ngannou’s performance and his WBC ranking.
Boxing on 17:38 - Nov 18 with 1258 viewsPhilTWTD

Boxing on 16:42 - Nov 18 by allezlesbleus

As someone who is far from a boxing expert I was wondering how much of a crowd Fabio might pull in. I assume if he had a fight at the stadium, the capacity would be 30,000-plus. Wouldn't that be significantly larger than he would be able to pull in?
Boxing on 18:14 - Nov 18 with 1216 viewsgtsb1966

Boxing on 17:38 - Nov 18 by PhilTWTD

As someone who is far from a boxing expert I was wondering how much of a crowd Fabio might pull in. I assume if he had a fight at the stadium, the capacity would be 30,000-plus. Wouldn't that be significantly larger than he would be able to pull in?

If it was for a shot at the heavyweight world title then he would easily fill it. Anything else and he would struggle.
Boxing on 18:31 - Nov 18 with 1178 viewsPhilTWTD

Boxing on 18:14 - Nov 18 by gtsb1966

If it was for a shot at the heavyweight world title then he would easily fill it. Anything else and he would struggle.

Cheers. He's a fair way off a world title fight as it stands, isn't he?
Boxing on 18:41 - Nov 18 with 1151 viewsHerbivore

Boxing on 18:31 - Nov 18 by PhilTWTD

Cheers. He's a fair way off a world title fight as it stands, isn't he?

Probably not a million miles away to be fair. Needs a couple more wins against world level gatekeepers but it's not a huge leap from the level he's at to getting himself a shot.

Boxing on 18:46 - Nov 18 with 1140 viewsPhilTWTD

Boxing on 18:41 - Nov 18 by Herbivore

Probably not a million miles away to be fair. Needs a couple more wins against world level gatekeepers but it's not a huge leap from the level he's at to getting himself a shot.

So I'd guess they'd wait until he's at that sort of level before a Portman Road fight.
Boxing on 18:47 - Nov 18 with 1127 viewsHerbivore

Boxing on 18:46 - Nov 18 by PhilTWTD

So I'd guess they'd wait until he's at that sort of level before a Portman Road fight.

Probably, unless they could get him on alongside another reasonably high profile fight in the meantime.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024