Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ice Hockey mansalughter arrest could set a dangerous precedent. 22:21 - Nov 14 with 1848 viewsMercian

I am not sure of the exact details of the arrest butI have seen some footage and it was an accident. If the man is charged and found guilty that would mean a boxer who's apponent dies, a rugby player who has his neck broken in a scrum or a tackle in football where the player falls and hits his head and dies could result in the same charge. Life is a times risky and these things happen. It is very sad but criminal charges should not result.
Ice Hockey mansalughter arrest could set a dangerous precedent. on 23:02 - Nov 14 with 1741 viewsredrickstuhaart

I dont think any of that follows.

People consent to contact within the rules. People consent to the risk of accidents. There is a massive difference between a late tackle, and stamping on someone's head on the ground. The latter is clearly open to charges. The specifics of the case determine it. This would set no precedent.
Ice Hockey mansalughter arrest could set a dangerous precedent. on 23:18 - Nov 14 with 1702 viewsCoastalblue

I've not seen any coverage of the manslaughter charges and arrest, but surely it's just a case of following due protocol? A man died.

I'd be very surprised if the accused actually faces any action unless there was genuine malice involved and it was proved as such.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Ice Hockey mansalughter arrest could set a dangerous precedent. on 23:25 - Nov 14 with 1688 viewsredrickstuhaart

Ice Hockey mansalughter arrest could set a dangerous precedent. on 23:18 - Nov 14 by Coastalblue

I've not seen any coverage of the manslaughter charges and arrest, but surely it's just a case of following due protocol? A man died.

I'd be very surprised if the accused actually faces any action unless there was genuine malice involved and it was proved as such.

The footage is odd- but very hard to assess if you are not an ice hockey player I suspect. The guys foot is surprisingly high. Which probably gives rise to questions as to why, which you can only answer if you understand ice hickey and issues of balance and impacts. I could not possibly say. But I imagine the police need to question him on it.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2023 23:32]
Ice Hockey mansalughter arrest could set a dangerous precedent. on 00:11 - Nov 15 with 1596 viewswkj

I actually saw a video on this from a US lawyer who went into what he thought the legal path might be. Needless to say, manslaughter is a surprising conclusion after his analysis . (This video I link does contain picture in picture of the event, so don't click it if you want to avoid that imagery)

[Post edited 15 Nov 2023 0:12]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Ice Hockey mansalughter arrest could set a dangerous precedent. on 00:20 - Nov 15 with 1574 viewsFrimleyBlue

An interesting case.

I guess the only way surely they'll be able make a case is to reconstruct the incident and determine if the offenders foot was in an unnatural position.

There's been voices on both sides. Some even experts in the game saying the clash into an opponent caused the leg to rise. Whilst others can't understand how anything could have caused it and it was clearly an intent to hurt the player but of course not kill him..

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Ice Hockey mansalughter arrest could set a dangerous precedent. on 02:11 - Nov 15 with 1463 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's not for you, or me, to say whether it was an accident or not. I don't think it sets a precedent in terms of deciding culpability (or not). It probably does in relation to sporting incidents though. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I've no idea how they could prove there was intent. That's the key point of your argument, isn't it; how do you differentiate between an accident and a deliberate act (easy when a feckwit like Keane boasts about it in a biography, but for most cases that won't be the case).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Ice Hockey mansalughter arrest could set a dangerous precedent. on 03:04 - Nov 15 with 1430 viewsurbanblue

I don't know if any of us who have never played Ice Hockey can conclude whether it was an accident or intentional. The fact is though that Matt Petgrave has previous when it cones to violent play and I've seen a clip where he has raised his leg, certainly not so high, but in a similar manner to take another player out when playing in the US. I'm trying to find it and will post if I do.

Certainly, there was no intent to kill, but I guess it's like a situation where someone dies after being punched. No intent to kill at all but a Manslaughter charge often follows.

Edit ... Here's the clip ...

[Post edited 15 Nov 2023 4:46]
Ice Hockey mansalughter arrest could set a dangerous precedent. on 05:08 - Nov 15 with 1372 viewsKievthegreat

Ice Hockey mansalughter arrest could set a dangerous precedent. on 03:04 - Nov 15 by urbanblue

I don't know if any of us who have never played Ice Hockey can conclude whether it was an accident or intentional. The fact is though that Matt Petgrave has previous when it cones to violent play and I've seen a clip where he has raised his leg, certainly not so high, but in a similar manner to take another player out when playing in the US. I'm trying to find it and will post if I do.

Certainly, there was no intent to kill, but I guess it's like a situation where someone dies after being punched. No intent to kill at all but a Manslaughter charge often follows.

Edit ... Here's the clip ...

[Post edited 15 Nov 2023 4:46]

Saying a hockey player has previous when it comes to violent play is like saying a footballer who has previous for kicking balls.

In the clip shown he trails a foot to make sure he makes contact and it's a dirty play for sure. However he lifts his skate less than a foot off the ice with the blade down, it's sort of a janky "slew foot". I think if you're (not you specifically, aiming this at anyone looking at that) trying to argue it represents previous you're really stretching.
Login to get fewer ads

Ice Hockey mansalughter arrest could set a dangerous precedent. on 08:21 - Nov 15 with 1114 viewsredrickstuhaart

Ice Hockey mansalughter arrest could set a dangerous precedent. on 02:11 - Nov 15 by Swansea_Blue

It's not for you, or me, to say whether it was an accident or not. I don't think it sets a precedent in terms of deciding culpability (or not). It probably does in relation to sporting incidents though. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I've no idea how they could prove there was intent. That's the key point of your argument, isn't it; how do you differentiate between an accident and a deliberate act (easy when a feckwit like Keane boasts about it in a biography, but for most cases that won't be the case).

It doesnt. The law is clear and wont be changed in any way. Not least because the criminal law is in statute.

If an act is plainly outside the bounds of the game, then there is potential for criminal responsibility. Each case turns on its facts.
Ice Hockey mansalughter arrest could set a dangerous precedent. on 08:39 - Nov 15 with 1056 viewsGlasgowBlue

“butI have seen some footage and it was an accident”. Are you qualified to make that judgement?

Let’s leave it to the experts who will carry out a thorough investigation before proceeding. I find it distasteful speculating either way, based on nothing more than a few seconds from a YouTube clip.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024