Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. 10:04 - Nov 13 with 5003 viewsMercian

I am sure David Cameron is no longer an MP.
I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 10:06 - Nov 13 with 3381 viewsbaxterbasics

He isn’t an MP but doesn’t have to be.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 10:06 - Nov 13 with 3381 viewsbluelagos

Lord Cameron, just been appointed according to Sky.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 10:08 - Nov 13 with 3362 viewsEdwardStone

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 10:06 - Nov 13 by bluelagos

Lord Cameron, just been appointed according to Sky.

Lord Pigpoker of Witney.... allegedly
I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 10:09 - Nov 13 with 3353 viewsDJR

He may well be the first non-MP to hold one of the Great Offices of State since Lord Carrington.

What a modern democracy we have.
I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 10:10 - Nov 13 with 3331 viewsNthQldITFC

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 10:08 - Nov 13 by EdwardStone

Baron Bacon?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 10:13 - Nov 13 with 3290 viewsEwan_Oozami

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 10:10 - Nov 13 by NthQldITFC

Baron Bacon?

The Duke of Danish...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 10:15 - Nov 13 with 3270 viewshomer_123

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 10:13 - Nov 13 by Ewan_Oozami

The Duke of Danish...

Streaky fecker.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 10:18 - Nov 13 with 3240 viewsBlueBadger

Reminder here that Cameron isn't a 'moderate Tory', he's the incompetent and corrupt austerity and privatisation obsessed sociopath who's the reason we're in this mess as a country.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 10:19 - Nov 13 with 3227 viewsNthQldITFC

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 10:10 - Nov 13 by NthQldITFC

Baron Bacon?

Baron Bacon-Banger, perhaps?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 10:21 - Nov 13 with 3214 viewsGuthrum

No. Indeed, you don't actually need to be in Parliament at all. They are Ministers of the Crown.

That having been said, it would be very difficult to function effectively outside of the parliamentary system - and not easy to hold a great office of state while outside the Commons*. Alec Douglas-Home disclaimed his hereditary peerage upon becoming Prime Minister in 1963 for that reason. It hasn't been usual for a senior minister to be in the Lords since the end of the 19th century (barring the Lord Chancellor/Leader of the HoL).

* They can't speak at debates or answer questions, they can't vote in divisions.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 10:45 - Nov 13 with 3105 viewsGuthrum

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 10:18 - Nov 13 by BlueBadger

Reminder here that Cameron isn't a 'moderate Tory', he's the incompetent and corrupt austerity and privatisation obsessed sociopath who's the reason we're in this mess as a country.

Strictly speaking that was George Osborne, but Cameron was his boss and appointed him.

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 10:49 - Nov 13 with 3082 viewsfactual_blue

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 10:21 - Nov 13 by Guthrum

No. Indeed, you don't actually need to be in Parliament at all. They are Ministers of the Crown.

That having been said, it would be very difficult to function effectively outside of the parliamentary system - and not easy to hold a great office of state while outside the Commons*. Alec Douglas-Home disclaimed his hereditary peerage upon becoming Prime Minister in 1963 for that reason. It hasn't been usual for a senior minister to be in the Lords since the end of the 19th century (barring the Lord Chancellor/Leader of the HoL).

* They can't speak at debates or answer questions, they can't vote in divisions.

They could of course stand him as candidate in the next by-election.

Ahhh....

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 10:50 - Nov 13 with 3071 viewsfactual_blue

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 10:08 - Nov 13 by EdwardStone

Lord Greensill of Lobbying

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 11:14 - Nov 13 with 3033 viewstractordownsouth

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 10:18 - Nov 13 by BlueBadger

One of my political pet peeves is how Cameron is described as centrist just because he looks good in a suit. Socially liberal yes but economically more right wing than Johnson, May and probably Sunak too.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 11:16 - Nov 13 with 3012 viewschicoazul

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 11:14 - Nov 13 by tractordownsouth

One of my political pet peeves is how Cameron is described as centrist just because he looks good in a suit. Socially liberal yes but economically more right wing than Johnson, May and probably Sunak too.

Lulz
You guys and your zany definitions of right wing

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 11:21 - Nov 13 with 2982 viewsSwansea_Blue

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 11:14 - Nov 13 by tractordownsouth

^Yes, very much this.

As for Ministers outside of Parliament, Zac Goldsmith springs to mind. Mandelson too back under Labour.(I can't remember whether that was under Blair or Brown). Both of those were at least answerable to one of the two Houses though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 11:24 - Nov 13 with 2943 viewsGuthrum

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 11:16 - Nov 13 by chicoazul

Lulz

How would you define modern right-wing economics, if not maximal deregulation, minimal taxation and reduction of the state by all means?

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 11:25 - Nov 13 with 2939 viewstractordownsouth

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 11:16 - Nov 13 by chicoazul

Lulz

You think May or Johnson were more economically right wing than Cameron? Interested to see the working on this

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 11:30 - Nov 13 with 2913 viewsWeWereZombies

Never mind that, why didn't Phil post a Cleverly and Cameron imminent news item ? There wasn't even a TWTD understands, maybe this is fake news after all.

Cameron relieving Sunak of being Prime Minister next month ?

Edit: Left 'Phil' out of this, perhaps I should have left it that way.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2023 11:31]

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 11:34 - Nov 13 with 2893 viewsKeno

come on to be a Tory minister dont you even have to be competent, honest, decent or human
[Post edited 13 Nov 2023 11:44]

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 11:38 - Nov 13 with 2870 viewsChurchman

Lord Pork Scratching.
I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 11:40 - Nov 13 with 2858 viewsfactual_blue

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 11:34 - Nov 13 by Keno

come on to be a Tory minister dont you even have to be competent, honest, decent or human
[Post edited 13 Nov 2023 11:44]

I hope you've missed out a 'don't' in there Mr K.

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 11:44 - Nov 13 with 2821 viewsPinewoodblue

Wonder who will make statements on Foreign policy in HoC. Mitchell presumably unless Sunak does it himself, in the style of Thatcher.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 11:45 - Nov 13 with 2809 viewsBlueBadger

Lulz

You're the Frimmers of general posting Chickers.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 11:45 - Nov 13 with 2806 viewsKeno

I thought you had to be an MP to be a government minister. on 11:40 - Nov 13 by factual_blue

I hope you've missed out a 'don't' in there Mr K.

just shows how far edukation standids has slipped under the Toerags

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024