Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best ever Town Goalkeepers? 15:45 - Nov 1 with 4598 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Seeing as both Hladky and Bart are two of the top performing Championship keepers so far this season, who are our best keepers ever? Roy Bailey, Paul Cooper, Laurie Sivell, Craig Forrest and Richard Wright are the ones that spring to mind. Honourable mentions Bartosz Białkowski, Clive Baker, and Kelvin Davis.

Anyone I have missed? Dean Gerken was okay when called on, Supple and Price never lived up to Davis, Andy Marshall was a good keeper everywhere else but Ipswich. We have a lot of guys on loan or for a season in recent years. In terms of poorest Will Norris and Scott Loach were two more recent ones I remember being pretty bad.

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 18:25 - Nov 1 with 1408 viewssolemio

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 17:16 - Nov 1 by Ely_Blue

There is surely only one answer and that is Neil Gregory isn’t it?

Not as good as Russell Osman.
Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 18:28 - Nov 1 with 1403 viewsSwailsey

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 17:14 - Nov 1 by GeoffSentence

What do you mean by best ever goalkeeper? Are you judging purely on their ability as a goalkeeper? Or are you looking at it more holistically. If the latter then it has to be

Goalkeeper, pundit, philanthropist David Stockdale

https://www.davidstockdale13.co.uk/

I’m saddened it too this long to post this. Topwork.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 18:31 - Nov 1 with 1390 viewsjaykay

as someone who has seen all town goalkeepers from 1958 , i would go for wilf thorburn.
joking apart it's paul cooper performed well against the top strikers of the day ,for several years.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 18:36 - Nov 1 with 1378 viewsSwailsey

Stephen Bywater anyone?

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 19:40 - Nov 1 with 1339 viewsnodge_blue

Who was the Scottish keeper we had 20 years ago? He was surpringly good

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 19:43 - Nov 1 with 1332 viewsWeWereZombies

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 19:40 - Nov 1 by nodge_blue

Who was the Scottish keeper we had 20 years ago? He was surpringly good

Neil Alexander ? I named him in a post at 16:13, and then two others mentioned him as if I had never posted...which I guess goes to show who else has me on ignore.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 19:57 - Nov 1 with 1322 viewsSharkey

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 17:08 - Nov 1 by Vic

For me it's between Cooper, Wright and Alexander, with a shout out to Davis.

My vote goes to Cooper - he keeper during our most successful period, a brilliant penalty saver and very steady even if not spectacular. Unfortunate not to make the England squad but Shilton and Clements were undeniably better.

Joe Corrigan was also rated above him, (rightly or wrongly, I couldn't say) and got quite a few caps.
Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 20:06 - Nov 1 with 1308 viewsstickymockwell

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 19:57 - Nov 1 by Sharkey

Joe Corrigan was also rated above him, (rightly or wrongly, I couldn't say) and got quite a few caps.

Ron Fearon and Craig Forrest had the best mullets

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

Login to get fewer ads

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 20:33 - Nov 1 with 1285 viewstractorshark

I remember David Hill having to go in goal at Brighton due to an injury to Craig Forrest.

Hill was a pretty average midfielder but he didn’t do badly in goal that night. Definitely a midweek game, think we lost 1-0.

It must have been around 1989 because I loved the new orange kit.
Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 20:41 - Nov 1 with 1278 viewsgainsboroughblue

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 20:33 - Nov 1 by tractorshark

I remember David Hill having to go in goal at Brighton due to an injury to Craig Forrest.

Hill was a pretty average midfielder but he didn’t do badly in goal that night. Definitely a midweek game, think we lost 1-0.

It must have been around 1989 because I loved the new orange kit.

It was midweek. I was there. Hill did very well considering, unfortunately he dropped the ball on to the foot of their striker late on, who then scored.

Hill wasn't the best player but he gave 100% every week.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 20:43 - Nov 1 with 1274 viewsITFC_History

Matt Holland should get a honorable mention.

Not only did he play in goal in the 5-2 victory against Oxford. He also scored in the same game too
Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 21:05 - Nov 1 with 1265 viewsbrazil1982

My vote goes to Cooper - he keeper during our most successful period, a brilliant penalty saver and very steady even if not spectacular. Unfortunate not to make the England squad but Shilton and Clements were undeniably better.

I'd say Davies is the best I've seen.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2023 9:55]
Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 22:35 - Nov 1 with 1252 viewsLord_Lucan

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 16:46 - Nov 1 by Kev_W

Sereni was very good. Should appear in any list of our top keepers. His quality clouded by the relegation season, at times his own attitude and the way he was managed.

This is correct

Tvvat of a bloke but a great keeper.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 22:38 - Nov 1 with 1249 viewsWeWereZombies

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 16:28 - Nov 1 by Keno

No Andy Marshall or Matteo Sereni mentions?

Ken

OK, I've got my memory working now.

Alex McCarthy, no one's mentioned him yet, have they ?

What do you mean there's a reason for that ?

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 22:58 - Nov 1 with 1241 viewsmonty_radio

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 18:31 - Nov 1 by jaykay

as someone who has seen all town goalkeepers from 1958 , i would go for wilf thorburn.
joking apart it's paul cooper performed well against the top strikers of the day ,for several years.

Is this Wilf Hall or Jim Thorburn?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 23:06 - Nov 1 with 1237 viewsChurchman

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 17:20 - Nov 1 by monty_radio

Hadn't read down as far as your thread when I similarly declared him my choice.

Best is my choice too. For me it’s him or Richard Wright.
Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 23:19 - Nov 1 with 1226 viewsmylittletown

1. Kelvin Davis
2. Richard Wright
3. Matteo Serini

Paul Cooper was a perfectly competent keeper, no more, who played behind the two best back fours we have ever had and was flattered as a result.
Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 23:34 - Nov 1 with 1215 viewsLord_Lucan

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 23:19 - Nov 1 by mylittletown

1. Kelvin Davis
2. Richard Wright
3. Matteo Serini

Paul Cooper was a perfectly competent keeper, no more, who played behind the two best back fours we have ever had and was flattered as a result.

I agree with this to a large extent.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 00:06 - Nov 2 with 1206 viewsjaykay

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 22:58 - Nov 1 by monty_radio

Is this Wilf Hall or Jim Thorburn?

as i said joking apart, as i took one part of each name to make one even worse than those 2

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 00:18 - Nov 2 with 1202 viewsLord_Lucan

That is absolute baloney.

He had a nack of saving a few penalties in a season but you don't really have many penalties to save. You would never pick a goalkeeper just because he saved the odd penalty.

I have nothing against Paul Cooper but he wasn't even close to an International call up. If we had signed either Shilton or Jennings (and we could have signed either) then we would have went on to win the title in consecutive seasons.

And, for what it's worth, I didn't particularly rate Ray Clemence, he just never had many shot's to save wth the defence he had in front of him.

Shilton was by far and away the best keeper of that generation. Phil Parkes and Joe Corrigan were up there as well, and would have been equally good in that Liverpool side.

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 03:00 - Nov 2 with 1185 viewsreadtheleaguetable

Ken Hancock was “better than Yashin”, according to the terrace song of the time. “And Crawford (was) better than Eusebio” (pronounced ‘You Say B.O.’ in the song.)

Qu'est-ce que vous chantez? Nous chantons "Les Bleus, allez!"

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 06:12 - Nov 2 with 1173 viewsElephantintheRoom

Those stats probably say more about the defence than the goalie.

The best goalie Town have ever had by a country mile is David Best

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 06:52 - Nov 2 with 1165 viewsblueislander

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 00:18 - Nov 2 by Lord_Lucan

That is absolute baloney.

He had a nack of saving a few penalties in a season but you don't really have many penalties to save. You would never pick a goalkeeper just because he saved the odd penalty.

I have nothing against Paul Cooper but he wasn't even close to an International call up. If we had signed either Shilton or Jennings (and we could have signed either) then we would have went on to win the title in consecutive seasons.

And, for what it's worth, I didn't particularly rate Ray Clemence, he just never had many shot's to save wth the defence he had in front of him.

Shilton was by far and away the best keeper of that generation. Phil Parkes and Joe Corrigan were up there as well, and would have been equally good in that Liverpool side.

We nearly got to sign Jennings, but, in the end he turned us down.
Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 08:40 - Nov 2 with 1145 viewsLord_Lucan

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 06:52 - Nov 2 by blueislander

We nearly got to sign Jennings, but, in the end he turned us down.

Word on the street is that it was a misunderstanding over £25k

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 08:47 - Nov 2 with 1140 viewsHerbivore

Best ever Town Goalkeepers? on 23:19 - Nov 1 by mylittletown

1. Kelvin Davis
2. Richard Wright
3. Matteo Serini

Sereni our third best keeper? No chance. He was very error prone and whilst he made some eye catching saves he couldn't command his box and conceded a few howlers. Really odd shout that, imo.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024