Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashton Gate this Wednesday 18:03 - Oct 23 with 9119 viewsJerseybean

Hello from a Bristol City fan in peace.

Ahead of our forthcoming game I’m putting together the opening post for our forum’s (One Team in Bristol, https://www.otib.co.uk/?_fromLogin=1) match thread, which will be posted the day before the match.

I would like to include some perspectives from your fans so if anybody would like to share info please do, anything would be appreciated, fans thoughts about the game, players who have represented both clubs, tales from when we’ve met previously, a fans view on your season, etc, etc.

Look forward to receiving info and to a great game.

Ashton Gate this Wednesday on 13:47 - Oct 24 with 678 viewsNthQldITFC

Ashton Gate this Wednesday on 13:36 - Oct 24 by unstableblue

To summarise the 'banter era' further: under our previous owner, Marcus Evans, we had shockingly bad club management and a paper thin strategy from 2007 to 2021. Dark times littered with dross.

Zero alignment through the club, appalling CEOs, and a real lack of a coherent strategy/plan. Our current/newish US directors (4 football savvy characters - including nephew of Galatasaray chairman, and people involved with the Phoenix soccer franchise) owners (pension fund), your favourite Mark Ashton as CEO, and chairman Mike O'Leary have shown us what a true objective aligned structure can look out like, with competence and ambition cascading down.

Perhaps parallels between the Evans era and Lansdown? where clearly Mark Ashton was not in the right structure.

The banter era had shocking managerial appointments such as Roy Keane, Paul Jewel and Paul Hurst. We had a brief rally under the divisive Mick McCarthy who had good managerial attributes that took us to a play-off semi-final, but he came from the Jurassic period and should have been a stop gap only, turning fans away in their droves for two seasons, with 'top bloke' trios of defensive midfielders, and with a 'I'll take an away point before travelling mentality'. Keane was just a summary of how clueless the owner Evans was - management by fear! completely outdated.

Loanees and characterless players traipsed in and out of the club - the complete antithesis of a current squad deeply involved in the community and loved by the fan base.

So whilst we wax lyrical about our current state, some dark times are very very recent. With away defeats at Charlton and Carlisle seemingly the bottom of a very dark pit, where we have now emerged blinking into the sunny uplands of the Championship. In short football fortunes can change very quickly - and the 3000 blues travelling a fair old distance tomorrow to a game they can get on-line/Sky very easily.. are going to savour every second of this positive period.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 13:49]

'under our previous owner, Marcus Owner...'

I love that! It uses Evans to define a whole class of football club owner, a class I hope we never see again.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Ashton Gate this Wednesday on 13:49 - Oct 24 with 668 viewsunstableblue

Ashton Gate this Wednesday on 13:47 - Oct 24 by NthQldITFC

'under our previous owner, Marcus Owner...'

I love that! It uses Evans to define a whole class of football club owner, a class I hope we never see again.

Updated - I think I have an aversion to writing his name.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Ashton Gate this Wednesday on 14:19 - Oct 24 with 626 viewsVegtablue

Ashton Gate this Wednesday on 13:36 - Oct 24 by unstableblue

To summarise the 'banter era' further: under our previous owner, Marcus Evans, we had shockingly bad club management and a paper thin strategy from 2007 to 2021. Dark times littered with dross.

Zero alignment through the club, appalling CEOs, and a real lack of a coherent strategy/plan. Our current/newish US directors (4 football savvy characters - including nephew of Galatasaray chairman, and people involved with the Phoenix soccer franchise) owners (pension fund), your favourite Mark Ashton as CEO, and chairman Mike O'Leary have shown us what a true objective aligned structure can look out like, with competence and ambition cascading down.

Perhaps parallels between the Evans era and Lansdown? where clearly Mark Ashton was not in the right structure.

The banter era had shocking managerial appointments such as Roy Keane, Paul Jewel and Paul Hurst. We had a brief rally under the divisive Mick McCarthy who had good managerial attributes that took us to a play-off semi-final, but he came from the Jurassic period and should have been a stop gap only, turning fans away in their droves for two seasons, with 'top bloke' trios of defensive midfielders, and with a 'I'll take an away point before travelling mentality'. Keane was just a summary of how clueless the owner Evans was - management by fear! completely outdated.

Loanees and characterless players traipsed in and out of the club - the complete antithesis of a current squad deeply involved in the community and loved by the fan base.

So whilst we wax lyrical about our current state, some dark times are very very recent. With away defeats at Charlton and Carlisle seemingly the bottom of a very dark pit, where we have now emerged blinking into the sunny uplands of the Championship. In short football fortunes can change very quickly - and the 3000 blues travelling a fair old distance tomorrow to a game they can get on-line/Sky very easily.. are going to savour every second of this positive period.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 13:49]

And just to temper a couple of more recent posts, we finished 11th in League One in 2021/22. You need to travel back to 1952/53 for a worse Ipswich finish in the pyramid, yet we averaged 21,779 at home and 1,799 away (figures not helped by L1 capacities or away followings). Even in Marcus' last season as owner before the Covid loss, we averaged 19,549 at home and 1,741 away when we again finished 11th in 2019/20 (peak awful).

I write the above only to stave off a "fickle farm folk" headline lol, which a casual observer may form from skimming our posts.
Ashton Gate this Wednesday on 14:59 - Oct 24 with 589 viewslizzibee

Ashton Gate this Wednesday on 13:12 - Oct 24 by Kievthegreat

76. Keep up!

oops sorry - need to go back in and read those two extra pages no doubt spouting love for Ashton
Ashton Gate this Wednesday on 15:30 - Oct 24 with 566 viewsmonty_radio

Ashton Gate this Wednesday on 14:19 - Oct 24 by Vegtablue

And just to temper a couple of more recent posts, we finished 11th in League One in 2021/22. You need to travel back to 1952/53 for a worse Ipswich finish in the pyramid, yet we averaged 21,779 at home and 1,799 away (figures not helped by L1 capacities or away followings). Even in Marcus' last season as owner before the Covid loss, we averaged 19,549 at home and 1,741 away when we again finished 11th in 2019/20 (peak awful).

I write the above only to stave off a "fickle farm folk" headline lol, which a casual observer may form from skimming our posts.

... and if you want pretty good example of our fall, see our FA Cup record where until last year, when we took Burnley all the way in two 4th round ties, we had not been past our opening round (either 1st round or 3rd) since 2010. Notable defeats in that time included Accrington, Barrow and Lincoln (when they were non-league, and Sky coverage meant hiding behind the sofa).

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Ashton Gate this Wednesday on 15:30 - Oct 24 with 566 viewsKievthegreat

Ashton Gate this Wednesday on 13:42 - Oct 24 by Churchman

Yep, 76 pages. Its momentum seems to have stalled a bit. Maybe they’ve run out of hate or have other worries now.

One thing I did notice is that the main dispenser of ‘you need to know/just warning you’ on here a couple of years ago was somebody called Fevs. He posted an awful lot of unpleasantness in those 76 pages as DaveFevs. That name now posts quite a lot on Benjamin Bloom’s podcasts. If it’s the same dude, maybe he’s let go some some of the ITFC bile and dialled down his cursing of Satan Ashton a little.

No chance I'm ever reading 76 pages of nonsense. Put the ones I did read, "Fevs" is a major contributor.

Imagine they need to chime down for a bit until something goes wrong. Since January, I honestly don't think the club and Ashton have put a foot wrong. Makes it hard to mock the Chief Executive who's taken us from mid table in league 1 to promotion contenders in the Championship. Especially when he's leapfrogged past their club in the process.
Ashton Gate this Wednesday on 15:41 - Oct 24 with 541 viewsChurchman

Ashton Gate this Wednesday on 15:30 - Oct 24 by Kievthegreat

No chance I'm ever reading 76 pages of nonsense. Put the ones I did read, "Fevs" is a major contributor.

Imagine they need to chime down for a bit until something goes wrong. Since January, I honestly don't think the club and Ashton have put a foot wrong. Makes it hard to mock the Chief Executive who's taken us from mid table in league 1 to promotion contenders in the Championship. Especially when he's leapfrogged past their club in the process.

I think the chiming down is as you suggest and also the post-Ashton sunlit uplands not quite materialising. They’ve been through another CEO, Steve Lansdown has come in for some criticism and while broadly popular, support for Pearson is not universal. In other words, they’ve at last moved on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024