Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Williams loan to buy agreement? 08:17 - Oct 8 with 5030 viewsDilithium85

Am I misremembering, but I thought the Williams loan had a clause that we could buy him at the end of the season, am I wrong?

I keep seeing posts that he's just a loan. Please correct r confirm my thinking
Williams loan to buy agreement? on 08:20 - Oct 8 with 4489 viewstonybied

I don't think there is any agreement. I believe his United contact is up at the end of the season but they have an option on it.
Williams loan to buy agreement? on 08:22 - Oct 8 with 4450 viewsGavTWTD

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 08:20 - Oct 8 by tonybied

I don't think there is any agreement. I believe his United contact is up at the end of the season but they have an option on it.

Correct. I thought it was more optimistic than that.

Town Confirm Williams Loan Signing 24th Aug 2023 13:37
Town have confirmed the signing of Manchester United left-back Brandon Williams on a season-long loan. 52

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 08:26 - Oct 8 with 4406 viewsLA_Tractor_Boy

If we remain in the Championship, I think it will be difficult for us to sign Williams.

Assuming he continues to perform well, Man Utd will probably take up their 1 year contract extension and sell him (to a PL or parachute club).
Williams loan to buy agreement? on 08:27 - Oct 8 with 4389 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 08:20 - Oct 8 by tonybied

That's also my recollection. Question is whether they would give him another year. If they do so as a way of trying to get a fee out of us, there's a danger that we walk away and they are left with a player for a year who probably isn't going to make their bench. Rumours were BW is on ~£40k a week, so they would have to honour that, and the deal to sell to us then starts to look very expensive - I doubt we will be paying anyone £40k a week even if we get promoted. So in my book, they just allow his contract to run out, and we get him on a free.

Poll: would you rather

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 08:29 - Oct 8 with 4363 viewstonybied

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 08:22 - Oct 8 by GavTWTD

Correct. I thought it was more optimistic than that.

Town Confirm Williams Loan Signing 24th Aug 2023 13:37
Town have confirmed the signing of Manchester United left-back Brandon Williams on a season-long loan. 52

Although as it's only an option for one extra season it'll most likely be exercised just to get a fee for him. Let's hope this positive start carries on and we're in the position to buy him for our first session back in the Premier League next year!
Williams loan to buy agreement? on 08:35 - Oct 8 with 4306 viewsfranz_tyson

The lad's on 60k a week. We're not in a position to pay that unless we get promoted. And, if we do.... maybe that's too much and out of our league.
If he plays well every week, then he will not only alert his parent club but other PL clubs that could match or better that 60k a week.
Maybe Kieron signs him..... but Kieron's next club. So many things can change in the next year.

Can't we just enjoy this and hope he helps us out of the league. If him and Hutchinson are that good..... we can't afford them. That's where we are at the,moment. But if they're that good they could help push us up to the next level. It's still a massive improvement on the previous loanees we had.
Williams loan to buy agreement? on 08:42 - Oct 8 with 4221 viewsBloomBlue

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 08:27 - Oct 8 by LegendofthePhoenix

That's also my recollection. Question is whether they would give him another year. If they do so as a way of trying to get a fee out of us, there's a danger that we walk away and they are left with a player for a year who probably isn't going to make their bench. Rumours were BW is on ~£40k a week, so they would have to honour that, and the deal to sell to us then starts to look very expensive - I doubt we will be paying anyone £40k a week even if we get promoted. So in my book, they just allow his contract to run out, and we get him on a free.

But would he join us if we don't offer him at least £40k a week (and I bet he's on a lot more than 40k) even if he was on a free?
Williams loan to buy agreement? on 08:46 - Oct 8 with 4187 viewsGavTWTD

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 08:29 - Oct 8 by tonybied

Although as it's only an option for one extra season it'll most likely be exercised just to get a fee for him. Let's hope this positive start carries on and we're in the position to buy him for our first session back in the Premier League next year!

If he's on 60k a week as is rumoured, that's over 3m a year to gamble on a club paying more than that to sign him. Brandon is also likely to want to see that out so unlikely to join in January. I think a deal in the summer is most likely and would depend where we are and what other options he has.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Login to get fewer ads

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 09:01 - Oct 8 with 4049 viewsHighgateBlue

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 08:46 - Oct 8 by GavTWTD

If he's on 60k a week as is rumoured, that's over 3m a year to gamble on a club paying more than that to sign him. Brandon is also likely to want to see that out so unlikely to join in January. I think a deal in the summer is most likely and would depend where we are and what other options he has.

Yes, and on this basis, if we go up you'd have to think we're in a decent position to win the race for him. He must know that he was at a crossroads, he's playing under a manager who has put him on the right road, he'd have a chance to play premier league football, and doubtless would get a premier league wage. Would he risk going somewhere with less togetherness, under a different coach, maybe not getting as many minutes just for a bigger contract? He knows how easy it is for a big contract to be a millstone and cause real stagnation if you're not playing. Anyway, if we're in that lucky position and we /don't/ get him, we'll have plenty of other options.
Williams loan to buy agreement? on 09:54 - Oct 8 with 3858 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 09:01 - Oct 8 by HighgateBlue

Yes, and on this basis, if we go up you'd have to think we're in a decent position to win the race for him. He must know that he was at a crossroads, he's playing under a manager who has put him on the right road, he'd have a chance to play premier league football, and doubtless would get a premier league wage. Would he risk going somewhere with less togetherness, under a different coach, maybe not getting as many minutes just for a bigger contract? He knows how easy it is for a big contract to be a millstone and cause real stagnation if you're not playing. Anyway, if we're in that lucky position and we /don't/ get him, we'll have plenty of other options.

Exactly this, we have Kieran McKenna, and players will know that there is a great spirit and togetherness, as well as absolutely top class coaching.
The "guaranteed" income in the PL is £100M, https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/23484427/premier-league-prize-money/#:~:text=Each
and the lions share (circa 65% IIRC) goes on player wages. Our current wage bill is about £11-£12M, so there is a lot more available if we make it. I couldn't see us paying anyone £65k a week, but who knows. Maybe basics will be in the 20k-£40k range, with bonuses etc. So with Mark Ashton running the business side, I reckon we can be confident he has got this all worked out. In the mean time, it's just one game at a time.

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 09:55 - Oct 8 with 3850 viewsPhilTWTD

Was incorrectly reported that there was a buy option included in the deal.
Williams loan to buy agreement? on 10:37 - Oct 8 with 3724 viewsWickets

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 08:26 - Oct 8 by LA_Tractor_Boy

If we remain in the Championship, I think it will be difficult for us to sign Williams.

Assuming he continues to perform well, Man Utd will probably take up their 1 year contract extension and sell him (to a PL or parachute club).

Not sure you are right as he is on such a lump of money Man U might think twice about offering him a contract but if we keep in with a chance of promotion it will be interesting to see if we try to sign him permanently.
Williams loan to buy agreement? on 10:44 - Oct 8 with 3668 viewsLord_Lucan

After his first two games some people wanted to drive him back to Manchester.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 10:45 - Oct 8 with 3647 viewsReuser_is_God

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 10:44 - Oct 8 by Lord_Lucan

Some people are idiots.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 10:50 - Oct 8 with 3622 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Yeah this - those exact words. !

Fortunately we are run by people who know a thing or two about football, not the reactionary drivel some people post on here.

He had a clanger against Leeds and then the deflection against B Rovers, but McKenna knows what a player is. I think Clarke had a future here, but Williams is a material upgrade at this point.
A handful also highly critical of Davis after his first coupla games on 10:53 - Oct 8 with 3600 viewsDyland

And not criticism tempered with context, either, but stuff along the lines of 'looks pretty sh1te for the money'. Pretty tragic innit.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 15:37 - Oct 8 with 3248 viewsDilithium85

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 09:55 - Oct 8 by PhilTWTD

Was incorrectly reported that there was a buy option included in the deal.

Thanks for setting the record straight. But now I'm sad that's not an option
Williams loan to buy agreement? on 19:39 - Oct 8 with 2900 viewsbournemouthblue

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 08:29 - Oct 8 by tonybied

Like they did with us on Lee Martin, I can see someone above suggesting we won't pay £40k a week in the Prem but I'd be surprised if we didn't stretch to that. I imagine that's fairly par nowadays?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 19:58 - Oct 8 with 2813 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 19:39 - Oct 8 by bournemouthblue

Like they did with us on Lee Martin, I can see someone above suggesting we won't pay £40k a week in the Prem but I'd be surprised if we didn't stretch to that. I imagine that's fairly par nowadays?

It's actually reported that his wage is £65k a week! It's pretty hard to understand how footballer's minds work. We've hopefully gone for players with a good mentality, I'm sure they all want to make plenty of money, but would they pick being a fringe player who gets just a few fleeting appearances on £70k a week over playing every week, having 30,000 fans singing your name in a packed stadium in a team that is on the up and up, with a fantastic team spirit, great coaching and getting about two thirds of that? Maybe, but that's a question that doesn't need to be asked yet.

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 20:15 - Oct 8 with 2742 viewsReusersTown

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 08:26 - Oct 8 by LA_Tractor_Boy

Their 1 year option is at 60k a week reportedly, so I would doubt that gets taken up.
Williams loan to buy agreement? on 20:20 - Oct 8 with 2722 viewsTrequartista

I've heard he is on huge wages at Man Utd, even taking into account that its Man Utd.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2023 20:20]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 20:21 - Oct 8 with 2709 viewsPhilTWTD

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 15:37 - Oct 8 by Dilithium85

Thanks for setting the record straight. But now I'm sad that's not an option

Sorry!
Williams loan to buy agreement? on 20:24 - Oct 8 with 2688 viewsbournemouthblue

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 19:58 - Oct 8 by LegendofthePhoenix

It's actually reported that his wage is £65k a week! It's pretty hard to understand how footballer's minds work. We've hopefully gone for players with a good mentality, I'm sure they all want to make plenty of money, but would they pick being a fringe player who gets just a few fleeting appearances on £70k a week over playing every week, having 30,000 fans singing your name in a packed stadium in a team that is on the up and up, with a fantastic team spirit, great coaching and getting about two thirds of that? Maybe, but that's a question that doesn't need to be asked yet.

£65k is a bit steeper, you could asorb that on a free almost as a transfer fee but less so if they Jack up his sale price following a new contract

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Williams loan to buy agreement? on 09:57 - Oct 9 with 2160 viewsIpswichRising

Probably the same people who said that Davis was cr@p
[Post edited 9 Oct 2023 10:34]
Williams loan to buy agreement? on 10:01 - Oct 9 with 2141 viewsEly_Blue

I wonder how many people also said the same after Davis first game for us last season!

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024