Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton Looking a bit Shabby 15:13 - Sep 19 with 2896 viewsClareBlue

Haven't been here for 30 years but used to have family on IoW so was regular visitor in my young days.
To be honest it's not looking great today. Some development mixed with post war brutalism. The train station is completely disconnected with an industrial shopping estate and acces to the marina area is all closed off for a boat show. You can pay 36 pounds to have a look around if you want. The high street is suffering from a new shopping center taking the customers away. I've never seen a lap dancing club on the main shopping street before, but there's a not discrete one right in the middle. The old town is being marketed but doesn't seem to be anything but a wall and a church. Kraków, it isn't.
Hope the game makes up for this. I'm trying out the free art museum to try and redeem the situation.
A day in Ipswich is paradise compared to this.
Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 15:31 - Sep 19 with 2791 viewsmylittletown

It was a bit of a dump in the 1970s, then I didn't go there for almost 50 years.
I have had to go there regularly over the last couple of years, and it is shabby and grim. It is another provincial city which has obviously suffered, but starting from a pretty low base, it looks even worse than many others.
Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 15:44 - Sep 19 with 2722 viewsGeoffSentence

Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 15:31 - Sep 19 by mylittletown

It was a bit of a dump in the 1970s, then I didn't go there for almost 50 years.
I have had to go there regularly over the last couple of years, and it is shabby and grim. It is another provincial city which has obviously suffered, but starting from a pretty low base, it looks even worse than many others.

I lived in Southampton towards mid-late 80's, might have been beer goggles but I really liked it then

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 15:47 - Sep 19 with 2710 viewsmylittletown

Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 15:44 - Sep 19 by GeoffSentence

I lived in Southampton towards mid-late 80's, might have been beer goggles but I really liked it then

Well it is possible to like somewhere, even if it is a bit of a dump. I like Cardiff!
Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 16:01 - Sep 19 with 2620 viewsNthQldITFC

I don't suppose you're light one porcupine?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 16:20 - Sep 19 with 2561 viewsITFCSG

Older fans remember the dockside and former Ocean Terminal where world famous ocean liners used to berth - the Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary, France (later Norway), United States, QE2 etc. but they don't exist anymore. Used to be one of the main atttractions every time a flagship was in town. How often does the Queen Mary 2 and the other Cunard liners call at Southampton nowadays? Probably only a few times every year.
Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 16:22 - Sep 19 with 2548 viewsthe_toff

Strip club on the high street, that's a new one. Which end of the high street*?

*asking for a friend
Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 16:24 - Sep 19 with 2528 viewsGeoffSentence

Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 15:47 - Sep 19 by mylittletown

Well it is possible to like somewhere, even if it is a bit of a dump. I like Cardiff!

I don't even recall it being a dump. The Common was great, I enjoyed the Cowherds if that's still there. Those parks just behind th City Centre high street were handy, Above Bar and the city centre was pretty lively and there was always a pub or two with go-go dancers on a Sunday.

Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 16:33 - Sep 19 with 2483 viewsfactual_blue

'He has either never been to Umm Qasr or he's never been to Southampton. There's no beer, no prostitutes and people are shooting at us. It's more like Portsmouth.'

A British soldiers reaction to a claim by Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon that the port of Umm Qasr is 'like the city of Southampton.'

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 16:34 - Sep 19 with 2476 viewssolemio

Cardiff is a fine city, unlike that other city that advertises itself as such.
Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 16:37 - Sep 19 with 2473 viewsBluespeed225

I know I'm in a minority, but I do like a bit of Post war Brutalism! Portsmouths' Tricorn, Preston bus station, and as a kid i marveled at our own Greyfriars, especially the restaurant that never opened!
Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 16:43 - Sep 19 with 2439 viewsGeoffSentence

Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 16:34 - Sep 19 by solemio

Another one I haven't been to in three, and another one I thought was pretty good at the time and I think it has come on since then too.

Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 16:51 - Sep 19 with 2406 viewsSharkey

I like Swansea, which is a bit of a dump but has bracing sea air, and a fantastically over-the-top accent to be enjoyed.
Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 16:54 - Sep 19 with 2399 viewsClareBlue

Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 16:24 - Sep 19 by GeoffSentence

I don't even recall it being a dump. The Common was great, I enjoyed the Cowherds if that's still there. Those parks just behind th City Centre high street were handy, Above Bar and the city centre was pretty lively and there was always a pub or two with go-go dancers on a Sunday.

You won't. miss it.. it covers 4 shop fronts and is originally painted black
Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 17:22 - Sep 19 with 2339 viewscatch74

I lived here 1999 - 2001 (watched the play off final in the Walkabout gas some arsehole made me work.)
It’s definitely a lot shabbier now. The West Quay shopping centre was being built at the time, pretty impressive building. It’s definitely pulled shopping away from the high St.
Bedfords and Lizard Lounge, the Square Balloon used to be fun then, night clubs were decent too.
Some really good real ale pubs too. Ocean Village, all now houses used to be ok as well.
Enjoyed my time but wasn’t too bothered about leaving.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 18:39 - Sep 19 with 2145 viewswitchdoctor

Cowherds still there…passed it not so long ago on the coach..looked like a nice boozer 👍
Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 13:20 - Sep 20 with 1933 viewsblue62

Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 16:22 - Sep 19 by the_toff

*asking for a friend

Between Yates and Nandos! So I was told!!!
Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 13:25 - Sep 20 with 1911 viewsDJR

Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 16:37 - Sep 19 by Bluespeed225

I know I'm in a minority, but I do like a bit of Post war Brutalism! Portsmouths' Tricorn, Preston bus station, and as a kid i marveled at our own Greyfriars, especially the restaurant that never opened!

But a very worthy minority!

I saw Preston bus station in 1978 and thought it was amazing.

And good to be in Sheffield on Saturday and see the Park Hill estate from the other side of the station. Sadly, I didn't have time to take a closer look.
Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 13:46 - Sep 20 with 1853 viewssoupytwist

Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 13:25 - Sep 20 by DJR

But a very worthy minority!

I saw Preston bus station in 1978 and thought it was amazing.

And good to be in Sheffield on Saturday and see the Park Hill estate from the other side of the station. Sadly, I didn't have time to take a closer look.

My son's first year student accommodation was in Beton House, which is part of the old Park Hill Estate. They've made a decent job of turning part of it into student accommodation and some of the rest into regular flats.
He liked living there, it's an interesting place to wander round and investigate the history of.
Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 14:37 - Sep 20 with 1787 viewsmylittletown

Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 16:34 - Sep 19 by solemio

I would have agreed with you, about Cardiff, in the 1980s. I have been visiting there regularly since then for family reasons, and imho, like many, perhaps most British cities, the centre has become shabby and soulless. It was always a bit lively on Friday and Saturday evenings, but it is now quite threatening at times.
Whitchurch, where my relatives live is still nice and possibly improving, but the centre certainly isn't, in my view.
Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 14:50 - Sep 20 with 1727 viewsWestSussexBlue

Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 16:20 - Sep 19 by ITFCSG

Older fans remember the dockside and former Ocean Terminal where world famous ocean liners used to berth - the Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary, France (later Norway), United States, QE2 etc. but they don't exist anymore. Used to be one of the main atttractions every time a flagship was in town. How often does the Queen Mary 2 and the other Cunard liners call at Southampton nowadays? Probably only a few times every year.

QM2 generally about every 12-14 days. New York and back. Never understood why the waterfront isn’t better utilised. Shame as there’s certainly potential.
Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 15:37 - Sep 20 with 1671 viewsMillsyVOR

Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 16:22 - Sep 19 by the_toff

*asking for a friend

Newmarket likewise, so I’m told 😚
Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 15:42 - Sep 20 with 1650 viewsyellowrider

Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 16:20 - Sep 19 by ITFCSG

Southampton is still be far and away the UK's largest cruise liner port. Home to P&O Cruises primarily but ships from many other cruise liner operations regularly use it. Royal Caribbean, Oceania, MSC Cruises, Fred Olsen Cruise line and several others. If you're a regular visitor to the IOW like this author, you can a find the departure and arrival schedule online and watch the great liners from Sandown / Shanklin beach fronts.
Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 12:38 - Sep 24 with 1201 viewssolemio

I like the 1970s Barbican development which is well Brutalist, innit mate.
Southampton Looking a bit Shabby on 12:53 - Sep 24 with 1183 viewsNthQldITFC

I always thought Greyfriars and the Willis building went quite well together, (you could take the crumbling concrete from the one and bung it at the other), but that Greyfriars was a somewhat incongruous faux-pas juxtaposed, as it was, with the Art Deco elegance of the adjacent underground station at Bogarts roundabout.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024