Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
12 most underrated town players of all time 10:36 - Sep 10 with 6397 viewsKeno

I'll start with Steve McCall

feel free to add the other 11

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

12 most underrated town players of all time on 17:48 - Sep 10 with 1473 viewsWeWereZombies

12 most underrated town players of all time on 13:44 - Sep 10 by ElephantintheRoom

Paul Mason usually wins this one - though I’d suggest Simon Milton.

McCall was very highly rated - just a bit ordinary in a very good team

How about Kevin Beattie? Few people outside Ipswich know much about him and even at the height of his powers England managers preferred Colin Todd.

Of those currently playing perhaps Pope? Good enough for England and Newcastle - but very underrated whilst at Town.

Although Nick Pope never played anything other than youth team games for Ipswich and was released at sixteen.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

12 most underrated town players of all time on 18:20 - Sep 10 with 1427 viewsSmithersJones

12 most underrated town players of all time on 14:17 - Sep 10 by CrayonKing

My favourite town player growing up

When Phil did the My Best Town 11 series during lockdown it was notable how many former team-mates picked him, and how highly they rated him. I think if he was a bit taller he might have gone on to play for "bigger" clubs.

With all the votes for Stockwell presumably that disqualifies him from consideration as our most underrated player ever?
12 most underrated town players of all time on 18:23 - Sep 10 with 1423 viewsnoggin

Trevor Whymark.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

12 most underrated town players of all time on 18:54 - Sep 10 with 1408 viewsBigCommon

Cameron Burgess
12 most underrated town players of all time on 22:16 - Sep 10 with 1343 viewsCoastalblue

James Scowcroft, a much, much better player than most gave him credit for at the time.

Edit: In fact I'm going to be super contentious here and add Sereni, who aside from anything else was a very good goalkeeper.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2023 22:20]

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

12 most underrated town players of all time on 22:41 - Sep 10 with 1317 viewsChurchman

12 most underrated town players of all time on 13:44 - Sep 10 by ElephantintheRoom

Paul Mason usually wins this one - though I’d suggest Simon Milton.

McCall was very highly rated - just a bit ordinary in a very good team

How about Kevin Beattie? Few people outside Ipswich know much about him and even at the height of his powers England managers preferred Colin Todd.

Of those currently playing perhaps Pope? Good enough for England and Newcastle - but very underrated whilst at Town.

Third paragraph Kevin Beattie? Totally disagree. He was very well known at the time. Even his statue is based on an image of the front cover of Shoot. He wasn’t underestimated by anyone, particularly his opponents.

Supporting Bristol City, Rovers, Norwich, whoever I think you forget what a top club Ipswich was in those days.

England were pretty rubbish mid 70s with all sorts of nonsense going on. But for injuries he’d have made 100 caps. Todd was a great player but 5 years older and though quality not a patch on KB and everybody knew it.

Milton wasn’t underrated. He was a good player and everyone knew it. Given Pope never played for the first team he can’t be included.
12 most underrated town players of all time on 23:05 - Sep 10 with 1293 viewsStewart27

12 most underrated town players of all time on 18:54 - Sep 10 by BigCommon

Cameron Burgess

He’s only been here 5 minutes.

He was a squad player to begin with and since forcing his way into the team everybody rightfully loves him.

Not sure how he qualifies as under rated.

If we’re talking current set up then surely Ladapo gets that gong.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2023 23:06]
12 most underrated town players of all time on 23:23 - Sep 10 with 1285 viewsgodalmingblue

Mark Fish???
Login to get fewer ads

12 most underrated town players of all time on 00:20 - Sep 11 with 1267 viewsTangledupin_Blue

12 most underrated town players of all time on 10:49 - Sep 10 by Churchman

And me. Stockwell was a very good player.

For the real oldies another that always goes under the radar is Bryan Hamilton. Between 71 and 75 he made over 150 appearances scoring 43 goals from midfield.

Hamilton wasn't underrated at the time. He was the supporters' POTY on at least one occasion...

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

12 most underrated town players of all time on 08:32 - Sep 11 with 1230 viewsVic

12 most underrated town players of all time on 10:49 - Sep 10 by Churchman

And me. Stockwell was a very good player.

For the real oldies another that always goes under the radar is Bryan Hamilton. Between 71 and 75 he made over 150 appearances scoring 43 goals from midfield.

Blimey, that is some record. Very few players manage to carry on playing past thier mis 30’s so that is exceptional.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

12 most underrated town players of all time on 08:36 - Sep 11 with 1225 viewsDarth_Koont

Russell Osman?

A cultured centre-half playing in the top division for well over a decade and with a dozen England caps, he'd have been a standout player at any other club of our size. But generally overshadowed by a dozen other names during that FA Cup- and UEFA Cup-winning era.

Pronouns: He/Him

12 most underrated town players of all time on 08:45 - Sep 11 with 1206 viewsDJR

12 most underrated town players of all time on 08:36 - Sep 11 by Darth_Koont

Russell Osman?

A cultured centre-half playing in the top division for well over a decade and with a dozen England caps, he'd have been a standout player at any other club of our size. But generally overshadowed by a dozen other names during that FA Cup- and UEFA Cup-winning era.

I think there is something in what you say, and on a similar theme, I have always felt that Mick Mills was never properly appreciated at the time, even though he won 42 England caps. I put it down to the fact that he was not as flamboyant a character or player as others in the team when he was playing. And even these days he is frequently bad-mouthed on TWTD as dull with respect to his appearances on Radio Suffolk.
12 most underrated town players of all time on 09:28 - Sep 11 with 1171 viewsWoolfenthen

Jamie Clapham, always dependable, chipped in with the odd goal and had a decent cross on him, boo boy for some

Mark Venus, lightweight in Steve Sedgley (one of the most overrated??) transfer from Wolves, traction engine of a left boot

Of current crop have to say Janoi Donacien, just look at his Town career, madness, although Lambert would come up sucking his thumb in a barrel full of breasts
12 most underrated town players of all time on 19:15 - Sep 11 with 1069 viewsBigCommon

12 most underrated town players of all time on 23:05 - Sep 10 by Stewart27

He’s only been here 5 minutes.

He was a squad player to begin with and since forcing his way into the team everybody rightfully loves him.

Not sure how he qualifies as under rated.

If we’re talking current set up then surely Ladapo gets that gong.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2023 23:06]

I still think he's underrated by loads of people..He was the one that all the know it alls kept saying would be replaced this Summer...And they still are, to a degree. Weird how Tuanzebe is predominantly right sided, yet people see Burgess as the player that will be shunted aside when he's fit...My money is on Clarke or Woolfy to be the fall guy..
12 most underrated town players of all time on 19:47 - Sep 11 with 1038 viewsEly_Blue

12 most underrated town players of all time on 22:16 - Sep 10 by Coastalblue

James Scowcroft, a much, much better player than most gave him credit for at the time.

Edit: In fact I'm going to be super contentious here and add Sereni, who aside from anything else was a very good goalkeeper.

Sereni a very good goalkeeper, just not when he played for us though!

Not fit to lace the great and most underrated Paul Coopers boots I’m afraid

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

12 most underrated town players of all time on 20:17 - Sep 11 with 1026 viewsCoastalblue

12 most underrated town players of all time on 19:47 - Sep 11 by Ely_Blue

Sereni a very good goalkeeper, just not when he played for us though!

Not fit to lace the great and most underrated Paul Coopers boots I’m afraid

Was Cooper underrated?

Played in an era when he had massive challenges in terms of International honours and will agree for us he was a great, especially with penalties. I was quite young but my memories are that he was very good though, but had the likes of Clemence and Shilton in front of him.

Interesting question, would we have won the title with Pat Jennings in goal?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

12 most underrated town players of all time on 21:12 - Sep 11 with 1001 viewsjacobnikons

No particular order:
Trevor Whymark
Trevor Putney
Clive Woods
Mich D'avray
Romeo Zondervan
Mick Stockwell
Paul Mason
Kevin Wilson
John McGreal
David Johnson mk 2
Martin Reujser
Johnathan Parr
12 most underrated town players of all time on 21:18 - Sep 11 with 991 viewsStu_boy

Guirane N D'aw was a beast in the midfield

Fabian Wilnis

Paul Mason

Keith Brannagan always impressed as well
12 most underrated town players of all time on 21:24 - Sep 11 with 984 viewssolemio

12 most underrated town players of all time on 22:16 - Sep 10 by Coastalblue

Sereni was not a good goalkeeper. He was a great shot-saver, but in all the other aspects of the keeper's arts he was totally inadequate. I won't go into details as I have done so a few times on here.
12 most underrated town players of all time on 21:52 - Sep 11 with 966 viewsTractorBrew

12 most underrated town players of all time on 21:24 - Sep 11 by solemio

Sereni was not a good goalkeeper. He was a great shot-saver, but in all the other aspects of the keeper's arts he was totally inadequate. I won't go into details as I have done so a few times on here.

Totally agree, felt like he was someone that performed saves that look great in pictures. He'd be useless with the modern day demands on keepers!

On a keeper theme, Hladky always got a hard time but now showing his true worth. If Walton comes back in and takes his place, will surely come up in this conversation in years to come
12 most underrated town players of all time on 22:18 - Sep 11 with 955 viewskiwiblue

12 most underrated town players of all time on 21:52 - Sep 11 by TractorBrew

Totally agree, felt like he was someone that performed saves that look great in pictures. He'd be useless with the modern day demands on keepers!

On a keeper theme, Hladky always got a hard time but now showing his true worth. If Walton comes back in and takes his place, will surely come up in this conversation in years to come

Gavin Johnson and Steve Palmer two greats but never really plauded
12 most underrated town players of all time on 22:26 - Sep 11 with 950 viewsjayessess

12 most underrated town players of all time on 21:12 - Sep 11 by jacobnikons

No particular order:
Trevor Whymark
Trevor Putney
Clive Woods
Mich D'avray
Romeo Zondervan
Mick Stockwell
Paul Mason
Kevin Wilson
John McGreal
David Johnson mk 2
Martin Reujser
Johnathan Parr

Very subjective I know, but quite a lot of these I'd put down as correctly quite highly rated?

If anything some of them probably ended up as beloved cult heroes, in a way that probably out-strips their actual career achievements!

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

12 most underrated town players of all time on 22:38 - Sep 11 with 937 viewsBondiBlue

12 most underrated town players of all time on 22:18 - Sep 11 by kiwiblue

Gavin Johnson and Steve Palmer two greats but never really plauded

I was going to mention steve palmer.

As someone else has pointed out, micky stockwell is so highly rated on this thread he surely no longer qualifies.

I'd go scowcroft. Criminally underrated by burley when sold to leicester.

Poll: Which would you accept?

12 most underrated town players of all time on 22:56 - Sep 11 with 922 viewsPlums

Lots of good shouts on this thread but nobody has mentioned Titus Bramble. To have had the career he had, there was genuine talent there. Jim Magilton said on one of the pods that the age Titus came through meant he did most of his player development in front of a full stadium. He never had the chance to make mistakes without big consequences.

For different reasons, Damien Delaney was also vastly underrated by many Town fans.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

12 most underrated town players of all time on 01:22 - Sep 12 with 868 viewsArnoldMoorhen

12 most underrated town players of all time on 22:38 - Sep 11 by BondiBlue

I was going to mention steve palmer.

As someone else has pointed out, micky stockwell is so highly rated on this thread he surely no longer qualifies.

I'd go scowcroft. Criminally underrated by burley when sold to leicester.

He had had a back injury. Burley cashed In and got decent money for him.

He is a very fair addition to the list. Like Paul Goddard or Stephen Hunt he made others look good by putting chances on a plate for them.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024