Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
12 most underrated town players of all time 10:36 - Sep 10 with 6395 viewsKeno

I'll start with Steve McCall

feel free to add the other 11

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

12 most underrated town players of all time on 01:24 - Sep 12 with 912 viewsIPS_wich

Not saying he was great, but given he was the crowd's whipping boy for a couple of seasons I'd throw Matt Richards into the mix. He was still a kid when he broke into the team and was almost an ever present under Royle in two seasons we made the play-offs. Yes, he made some errors early on which led to the crowd getting on his back - but he made almost 150 appearances for us, played 2-3 times for England U-21s before falling out of favour with Magilton and being replaced by Harding. In the latter stages of his time with us Richards was moved up to left midfield and Westlake moved inside - I actually thought he looked pretty decent there.
12 most underrated town players of all time on 07:09 - Sep 12 with 861 viewslazyblue

12 most underrated town players of all time on 10:57 - Sep 10 by tractorshark

Stockwell for me. Pretty much played every position and gave everything. Much better than people gave him credit for but his arrival followed years of extraordinary success, so we had been spoiled by then. Remember him playing up front and scoring 2 at Leicester and thought apart from going in goal, he genuinely could play anywhere.

Steve Whitton was a pivotal part of the promotion campaign in 91/92. Signed as a striker, played as a winger and was very underrated that year.

More recently, maybe Skuse. We always looked more solid with him in the side. He became a stick to beat McCarthy with but it was a lazy argument.

I wouldn’t have said Whitton was underrated as he was certainly one of the key players that season.
12 most underrated town players of all time on 08:16 - Sep 12 with 823 viewsChurchman

Seeing his name on another thread, Ian Marshall is worth remembering. 38 goals in 92 appearances. Formed a memorable, devastating partnership with Alex Mathie.

Hulking great bloke, mullet hairdoo, squeaky voice, always looked like he should be carrying tiles up a ladder. But he was a right handful and could play. Rumbustious.

He scored some cracking goals. Went to the away game at Charlton on a cold day in 1995 and he absolutely crashed one in.
12 most underrated town players of all time on 09:19 - Sep 12 with 803 viewsBondiBlue

12 most underrated town players of all time on 08:16 - Sep 12 by Churchman

Seeing his name on another thread, Ian Marshall is worth remembering. 38 goals in 92 appearances. Formed a memorable, devastating partnership with Alex Mathie.

Hulking great bloke, mullet hairdoo, squeaky voice, always looked like he should be carrying tiles up a ladder. But he was a right handful and could play. Rumbustious.

He scored some cracking goals. Went to the away game at Charlton on a cold day in 1995 and he absolutely crashed one in.

On the subject of alex mathie (who i think was sufficiently rated), i put forward neil gregory in the underrated category.

Poll: Which would you accept?

12 most underrated town players of all time on 10:06 - Sep 12 with 779 viewsmrfixit426

12 most underrated town players of all time on 08:16 - Sep 12 by Churchman

That second paragraph is a quite beautiful description of the man. I'd forgotten about the squeaky voice!
12 most underrated town players of all time on 11:00 - Sep 12 with 748 viewsmonty_radio

12 most underrated town players of all time on 08:32 - Sep 11 by Vic

Blimey, that is some record. Very few players manage to carry on playing past thier mis 30’s so that is exceptional.

I think that Hamilton had an underwhelming style and perhaps seemed not overly athletic - things which did not in fact detract from the skill nor intelligence he brought nor the faith that SBR so obviously had in him.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2023 11:04]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

12 most underrated town players of all time on 11:26 - Sep 12 with 719 viewsMagicMoe

Kyle Edwards!
12 most underrated town players of all time on 11:43 - Sep 12 with 696 viewsBondiBlue

12 most underrated town players of all time on 11:26 - Sep 12 by MagicMoe

Kyle Edwards!

UNDERrated

Poll: Which would you accept?

Login to get fewer ads

12 most underrated town players of all time on 11:52 - Sep 12 with 673 viewsHerbivore

12 most underrated town players of all time on 11:26 - Sep 12 by MagicMoe

Kyle Edwards!

Hard to argue he is underrated to be honest. Most of our fans really like him, but he's contributed about four goals and an assist in two years here, which is a very poor return for an attacking player.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

12 most underrated town players of all time on 12:18 - Sep 12 with 662 viewsSomethingBlue

Geraint Williams.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

12 most underrated town players of all time on 12:38 - Sep 12 with 640 viewsHerbivore

Jonas Knudsen.

Very decent Championship left back who has played for his country and has played European football, but to listen to some of our fans you'd think he only plays for the Dog and Duck because he's best mates with the manager.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

12 most underrated town players of all time on 12:46 - Sep 12 with 620 viewsChurchman

12 most underrated town players of all time on 12:18 - Sep 12 by SomethingBlue

Geraint Williams.

Can’t agree with the downvote - Geraint Williams was a good player. Ok, goalscoring wasn’t his thing and in the air, forget it, but he was a combative ball winner. Could play in front of the back four up to the forwards. Had a touch of the Morsys about him. Over 200 appearances over 6 years, captained the side, played in the Premier League..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024