Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers 09:44 - Sep 7 with 4154 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

If he were to win promotion from the Championship over the next few years, and kept us in the Premier League, I mean that goes without saying but if we qualified for Europe again as well (I know, dreaming) would he unseat George Burley as our third best manager ever? I can't see why Ipswich cant at least do what say Brighton have done over the next decade if we're run well and managed correctly. I also think we should aspire to win either the League Cup or FA Cup again (I know ... more dreams), because clubs like Leicester, Pompey, Wigan, Swansea and Birmingham have all managed to win those in modern times and we're no worse a club than those.

Dare to dream?
McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 11:52 - Sep 7 with 1011 viewsbluelou

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 09:56 - Sep 7 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

Just out of interest, how do we rank our best ever managers?

1. Sir Alf Ramsay
2. Bobby Robson
3. George Burley
4. Bill McGarry
5. John Lyall

Honourable mentions: Joe Royle and dare I say it Mick McCarthy ..

Worst is easier..

1. Paul Hurst
2. Paul Cook
3. Paul Lambert
4. Paul Jewell
5. Roy Keane

thats massively harsh on Paul Cook. He's barely in the top 5 worst managers.
Lambert is easily the worst.

Poll: What will have the greatest positive impact on attendances next season?

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 12:11 - Sep 7 with 972 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 11:41 - Sep 7 by Blueschev

I think Lambert is the worst of the Pauls. His tenure has zero redeeming features. A pathetic "attempt" to avoid relegation. Terrible football, terrible recruitment, zero plan, arrogance beyond belief, and a club at the lowest point in it's existence. The way our fan base largely tolerated it was nee normal.

The days of the four Pauls and Roy were so miserable that it does make it quite hard to find an objective order. My only real reason for not hammering Lambert as much as I would like to is that while it was awful, he had very little to work with. He still should have done better but he had very little money to spend and an aging, often injured squad at his disposal with an increasingly uninterested owner behind him.

Keane signed 28 players at great expense and just did absolutely nothing with them, aside from alienating and ousting some of the talent we already had. Jewell was similar to Lambert in that he had little available but overencumbered us with an aging squad which made Mick's rescue job all the more impressive.

Cook did quite a lot wrong, but half of the 20 he signed are still at the club with most of them being pretty important players for us. I don't want to talk about Hurst.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 12:12 - Sep 7 with 972 viewsChurchman

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 10:54 - Sep 7 by Ryorry

Roy Keane only 5th worst? I’d put him in 2nd worst just for his arrogant anger towards other personnel at the Club. He was a one-man masterclass in how not to treat others + terrible man-management.

Can’t really argue with logic of that. He really was the boilerman. Useless. I think I’d still place Jewell and Lambert above Keane in awfulness.

Jewell seemed a nice bloke who cared, but his incompetence was almost limitless. Truly clueless. He gets nudged into 3rd place by Lambert.

When you looked in PLs eyes you could see the back of his head. A dreadful, boring, unintelligible bag of gas. Filled with his own self importance and living off a couple of good seasons with them lot and his poxy videos. It’s ok making observations about the club, but he only did that to mask his own yawning inadequacy. And did sweet fa about it anyway. 5 year contract? 5 minutes to clear his desk would have been far more appropriate. Stole a living.

Cook? Track record says he’s a good lower league manager. Tried hard, out of his depth. Knows a player when he sees one too. He makes 5th because he has a great opportunity here and well and truly hosed it up the wall.
McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 12:18 - Sep 7 with 956 viewsMoriarty

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 09:56 - Sep 7 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

1. Sir Alf Ramsay
2. Bobby Robson
3. George Burley
4. Bill McGarry
5. John Lyall

Worst is easier..

1. Paul Hurst
2. Paul Cook
3. Paul Lambert
4. Paul Jewell
5. Roy Keane

I'm not sure about ranking as an exercise - probably more of a subjective thing and each person might add different weight to different variables given changes in the game and at our club over the years. Each to their own in that regard, I guess.

McKenna is a really good fit for us now and long may it continue.

I wonder how he would feel if FAI came knocking? McKenna is head and shoulders above Kenny (the present Irish manager) and that's an easy call to make. Thankfully those running the FAI are not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier.

fka omuircheartaigh

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 13:15 - Sep 7 with 936 viewsElephantintheRoom

Bill McGarry and John Lyall were streets ahead of Burley. Both won something and didn’t get the club relegated once, let alone twice. Nor did they make the club insolvent.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 13:27 - Sep 7 with 925 viewsgainsboroughblue

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 13:15 - Sep 7 by ElephantintheRoom

Bill McGarry and John Lyall were streets ahead of Burley. Both won something and didn’t get the club relegated once, let alone twice. Nor did they make the club insolvent.

I don't think Burley can be blamed for the first relegation.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 13:32 - Sep 7 with 916 viewsSteve_M

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 11:52 - Sep 7 by bluelou

thats massively harsh on Paul Cook. He's barely in the top 5 worst managers.
Lambert is easily the worst.

Cook did worse than Lambert with the same players in 2020-21, got new players and hardly did any better with them despite one of the biggest budgets in the division. An utter failure.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 13:54 - Sep 7 with 882 viewsNthQldITFC

1. Sir Alf Ramsay
2. Bobby Robson
3. George Burley
4. Bill McGarry
5. John Lyall

Worst is easier..

1. Paul Hurst
2. Paul Cook
3. Paul Lambert
4. Paul Jewell
5. Roy Keane

We've not had a Ringo yet.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 14:14 - Sep 7 with 864 viewsBlueBadger

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 13:15 - Sep 7 by ElephantintheRoom

Here he is!

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 14:18 - Sep 7 with 857 viewsBlueBadger

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 10:44 - Sep 7 by nodge_blue

I think that's harsh on Paul Cook. He brought in a lot of good players. He clearly was rated by several who had previously played for him like Morsy. He just upset the apple cart so much that he never really got momentum going.

Cook achieved poorer results than a patently phoning-it-in Lambert and had the nexus of a side which has just gone 20+ games unbeaten sitting marooned in mid-table.

By anyone's metric, that's pretty piss poor. That he was only the third wort of all the Pauls say more about Lambert and Hurst than it does him.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 14:21 - Sep 7 with 871 viewsBlueBadger

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 11:14 - Sep 7 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

I did not rate Roy Keane, but he doesn't rank as bad as the others because we at least managed to get to a cup semi-final with him running things. The structure wasn't here for him to succeed at that time anyway, reading his book we were a total joke behind the scenes, missing out on players he wanted and then signing players for over the odds without even telling him.

Keane set the scene for every one of Evans' terrible managers bar Mick.

He was patently incompetent, kept on far too long, achieved way too little with generous backing(Lambert was generously backed by League One standards, for example), bought badly, played bad football, had us spiralling to relegation, destroyed player morale and was inexplicably popular with the easily fooled because he was a well-known name - all the Pauls had elements of those about them, but Famous Roy had them all.

My 'worst ever' ranking is therefore:

5 - Cook - built the core of the current squad, couldn't do anything with them. Bad, but not as bad as the rest.

4 - Jewell - bad, but not as bad as those above him. And had the grace to know his time was up.

2 = Lambert and Hurst tied. Impossible to split them. both utterly dreadful, but in different ways.

1 - Keane(see above).
[Post edited 7 Sep 2023 15:16]

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 14:29 - Sep 7 with 846 viewsChurchman

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 14:14 - Sep 7 by BlueBadger

Here he is!

He’s clearly over the crushing disappointment of ITFC winning on Saturday. Must have been gutting for him, especially with Norwich losing.
McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 14:31 - Sep 7 with 844 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

1. Sir Alf Ramsay
2. Bobby Robson
3. George Burley
4. Bill McGarry
5. John Lyall

Worst is easier..

1. Paul Hurst
2. Paul Cook
3. Paul Lambert
4. Paul Jewell
5. Roy Keane

You've got Roy Keane way too low in your bad list. People forget he took on a club just outside the Championship playoffs (declaring getting to mid-table in the Champ was easy) but more importantly he had the lion's share of Marcus's money to waste.

Whatever anyone thinks of the Pauls, they all had way less funds to play with.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 14:36 - Sep 7 with 840 viewsBlueBadger

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 11:22 - Sep 7 by Blueschev

I think the complete overhaul of the squad carried out by Cook was desperately needed, and it was always going to take time for the culture of mediocrity at the club to be shaken off. Mckenna was fortunate insomuch as that job had been done prior to his arrival, and he inherited a very talented squad for League One.

That doesn't detract from his achievements here so far though, he has us playing fantastic football, and as others have highlighted, improved seemingly every player in the squad. I believe we'll be a premier league club before he moves on from us.

It took Mckenna about 3 days to shake off the 'culture of mediocrity'.

Cook's expensively assembled squad would have finished in a similar place(or lower) to Lambert's had he kept on. Cook was the last, albeit the least damaging, of Evans' frauds.

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 14:39 - Sep 7 with 837 viewsChurchman

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 14:31 - Sep 7 by The_Flashing_Smile

You've got Roy Keane way too low in your bad list. People forget he took on a club just outside the Championship playoffs (declaring getting to mid-table in the Champ was easy) but more importantly he had the lion's share of Marcus's money to waste.

Whatever anyone thinks of the Pauls, they all had way less funds to play with.

Very good point, Flash. Thanks to you and Ryorry I may have to promote madman Keane in the managerial turd list to second.

Ahh, the power of debate….
McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 14:52 - Sep 7 with 827 viewsBlueschev

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 14:36 - Sep 7 by BlueBadger

It took Mckenna about 3 days to shake off the 'culture of mediocrity'.

Cook's expensively assembled squad would have finished in a similar place(or lower) to Lambert's had he kept on. Cook was the last, albeit the least damaging, of Evans' frauds.

I wasn't trying to imply that Cook did a good job, he clearly didn't. I do believe however that the task of turning the club around following two decades of continual decline was far greater than some people realised, probably including Cook himself.
McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 15:13 - Sep 7 with 812 viewsBlueBadger

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 10:57 - Sep 7 by HighgateBlue

I appreciate you are only being factual, but my my, John Duncan ahead of Sir Bob. That's a humorous stat!

Lyall below Keane and Jewell is also unfortunate, but one can more readily see why.

M*ch is going to be furious when he sees Famous Roy below Mick AND Jewell.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2023 15:15]

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 15:24 - Sep 7 with 806 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 14:39 - Sep 7 by Churchman

Very good point, Flash. Thanks to you and Ryorry I may have to promote madman Keane in the managerial turd list to second.

Ahh, the power of debate….

I would say for the Championship at the time, Keane was probably averagely funded. I could be wrong, but the top teams those two seasons were pretty well funded outfits for the time in Newcastle, WBA, Cardiff, Leicester, Blackpool (spent themselves into a grave in the end), QPR, Norwich, Swansea, Nottingham Forrest... we were not splashing the cash in a massive way.
McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 15:29 - Sep 7 with 797 viewsBlueBadger

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 15:24 - Sep 7 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

I would say for the Championship at the time, Keane was probably averagely funded. I could be wrong, but the top teams those two seasons were pretty well funded outfits for the time in Newcastle, WBA, Cardiff, Leicester, Blackpool (spent themselves into a grave in the end), QPR, Norwich, Swansea, Nottingham Forrest... we were not splashing the cash in a massive way.

Keane took us on at a time of depressed transfer budgets. His one was probably the biggest in the division outside of the relegated clubs.

I'm surprised you've forgotten that your boys were in league one that season tho.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2023 15:40]

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 15:34 - Sep 7 with 786 viewsRyorry

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 12:12 - Sep 7 by Churchman

Can’t really argue with logic of that. He really was the boilerman. Useless. I think I’d still place Jewell and Lambert above Keane in awfulness.

Jewell seemed a nice bloke who cared, but his incompetence was almost limitless. Truly clueless. He gets nudged into 3rd place by Lambert.

When you looked in PLs eyes you could see the back of his head. A dreadful, boring, unintelligible bag of gas. Filled with his own self importance and living off a couple of good seasons with them lot and his poxy videos. It’s ok making observations about the club, but he only did that to mask his own yawning inadequacy. And did sweet fa about it anyway. 5 year contract? 5 minutes to clear his desk would have been far more appropriate. Stole a living.

Cook? Track record says he’s a good lower league manager. Tried hard, out of his depth. Knows a player when he sees one too. He makes 5th because he has a great opportunity here and well and truly hosed it up the wall.

How & why on earth PL got his 5-year contract must be the biggest unfathomable mystery in the history of ITFC, and one of the biggest ever in professional football - talk about "unbelievable, Geoff". Bonkers. Can only think he had some serious dirt on *<redacted>.*

Poll: Time of the annunciation

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 15:42 - Sep 7 with 773 viewsBlueBadger

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 15:34 - Sep 7 by Ryorry

How & why on earth PL got his 5-year contract must be the biggest unfathomable mystery in the history of ITFC, and one of the biggest ever in professional football - talk about "unbelievable, Geoff". Bonkers. Can only think he had some serious dirt on *<redacted>.*

I was always take it a sign of how out of touch Marcus Evans was, that he still thought Lambert retained his inexplicable popularity from April and this would get fans off his back by giving 'Lambo' a big contract.

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 15:47 - Sep 7 with 770 viewsRyorry

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 15:42 - Sep 7 by BlueBadger

I was always take it a sign of how out of touch Marcus Evans was, that he still thought Lambert retained his inexplicable popularity from April and this would get fans off his back by giving 'Lambo' a big contract.

Even if that were so, 5 years was beyond stupid - the sort of contract that might have been given to SAF at his peak at Manu (no idea if it was btw, just using that to illustrate my point).

Poll: Time of the annunciation

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 15:50 - Sep 7 with 764 viewsMach_foreignBlue

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 15:42 - Sep 7 by BlueBadger

Hear hear ! Tell us about Lambert. You have never done it before.
McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 16:10 - Sep 7 with 680 viewsDubtractor

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 10:45 - Sep 7 by BasingstokeBlue

Purely by win percentage, our managers (since joining the Football League in 1938) rank thus:

Kieran McKenna
Alf Ramsey
George Burley
John Duncan
Bobby Robson

Joe Royle
Bill McGarry
Scott Duncan
Jim Magilton
Bobby Ferguson
Mick McCarthy
Paul Jewell
Roy Keane
John Lyall
Paul Lambert
Paul Cook
Jackie Milburn
Paul Hirst

That I pretty damning on Cook isn't it? All games at league one level, ending one season with an ok (for league one) team, and the following season with a mega budget for this level.

He made such a mess of things here.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

McKenna could potentially be one of our best ever managers on 16:17 - Sep 7 with 663 viewsReus30

1. Sir Alf Ramsay
2. Bobby Robson
3. George Burley
4. Bill McGarry
5. John Lyall

Worst is easier..

1. Paul Hurst
2. Paul Cook
3. Paul Lambert
4. Paul Jewell
5. Roy Keane

Pretty much spot on. I would have Mick above BFJ but only just.

My biggest "if only" is if Jim was backed a bit more, I honestly believe he could have been top 5.

As much as I would love McKenna to be here for a really long time, I see him as the next United manager, and that appointment will likely be within 3 years. You can see that he is special, he just oozes it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024