Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ffp no longer a thing? 21:01 - Sep 7 with 2379 viewsFrimleyBlue

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Ffp no longer a thing? on 21:11 - Sep 7 with 2262 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

If so there’s going to be a very upset Elephant on here.
Ffp no longer a thing? on 21:13 - Sep 7 with 2253 viewsSwansea_Blue

WTAF?!

“Respecting the desire of fans”. More ‘will of the people’ bollox there. And ‘the government now says it does not want to "place unnecessary burdens on the game".’ In other words, there’ll be a minister with links to a top club or agent company. It’s almost a certainty backscratching is involved.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Ffp no longer a thing? on 21:47 - Sep 7 with 2103 viewsSheffordBlue

Doesn't it just mean that those sanctions will remain with the relevant leagues and current authorities rather than becoming the remit of the Regulator?

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Ffp no longer a thing? on 22:40 - Sep 7 with 1949 viewsHorsham

Ffp no longer a thing? on 21:13 - Sep 7 by Swansea_Blue

WTAF?!

“Respecting the desire of fans”. More ‘will of the people’ bollox there. And ‘the government now says it does not want to "place unnecessary burdens on the game".’ In other words, there’ll be a minister with links to a top club or agent company. It’s almost a certainty backscratching is involved.

I don’t know if I agree. I’m pretty much of the opinion that FFP exists to protect the status of the richest and biggest clubs in the land.
Ffp no longer a thing? on 22:59 - Sep 7 with 1846 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Ffp no longer a thing? on 22:40 - Sep 7 by Horsham

I don’t know if I agree. I’m pretty much of the opinion that FFP exists to protect the status of the richest and biggest clubs in the land.

It certainly hasn’t had a huge impact in preserving the financial stability in the game given the amount of breaches. Arguably, rather than being a deterrent, the points deductions just add to the downward spiral of clubs in distress.
Ffp no longer a thing? on 23:21 - Sep 7 with 1767 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ffp no longer a thing? on 22:40 - Sep 7 by Horsham

It’s certainly loaded in the favour of the richest clubs. The idea though that there should be no footballing sanctions for regulation breaches and that most fans would be in favour of that is surely wrong though? On here, I’ve only ever seen people call for stricter sanctions when teams breach the rules. And normally there’s a lot of frustration it takes them so long to impose them.

Ffp no longer a thing? on 23:45 - Sep 7 with 1726 viewsVegtablue

Ffp no longer a thing? on 21:47 - Sep 7 by SheffordBlue

Doesn't it just mean that those sanctions will remain with the relevant leagues and current authorities rather than becoming the remit of the Regulator?

Spot on, it's business as usual unless the EFL revokes its own regulations and it won't do this.
Ffp no longer a thing? on 03:52 - Sep 8 with 1640 viewsBrianTablet

WTAF?!

Saudi-d you get to that conclusion?

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Login to get fewer ads

Ffp no longer a thing? on 05:18 - Sep 8 with 1594 viewspennblue

Ffp no longer a thing? on 03:52 - Sep 8 by BrianTablet

I assume it is because of the Saudi league and they don't want to lose the top players from the Premier League

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Ffp no longer a thing? on 06:17 - Sep 8 with 1545 viewsPioneerBlue

I’m not reading it like this. I read your title question in a way that is misleading because it is posed like a statement.

FFP is a governing body instrument and in our case applies across UEFA countries.

The idea of an independent regulating body is a uk government initiative which has long been discussed as a way of ensuring clubs don’t go rogue Eg leave to create a super league or begin charging fans over inflated ticket prices (?).

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Ffp no longer a thing? on 07:05 - Sep 8 with 1438 viewsSmithersJones

Ffp no longer a thing? on 06:17 - Sep 8 by PioneerBlue

I’m not reading it like this. I read your title question in a way that is misleading because it is posed like a statement.

FFP is a governing body instrument and in our case applies across UEFA countries.

The idea of an independent regulating body is a uk government initiative which has long been discussed as a way of ensuring clubs don’t go rogue Eg leave to create a super league or begin charging fans over inflated ticket prices (?).

Exactly right. The government has now confirmed that the regulator will have four key responsibilities: (1) ensuring suitable owners (2) ensuring clubs have adequate financial resources (3) protecting fan interests (4) authorising approved competitions. It’s not there to implement (or not) FFP and I would argue that the factors within its remit are way more relevant to good governance than FFP ever will be. That said, it’s a shame that the government has now removed some of the regulator’s teeth by not allowing it to give points deductions for breaches in those four key areas.
Ffp no longer a thing? on 07:20 - Sep 8 with 1407 viewshoppy

WTAF?!

So, next in their clear aim of looking after “respecting of desires of fans”, they’ll presumably be taking Sky to task to ensure matches aren’t moved to ridiculous kick off times just to suit their schedules at sometimes short notice, without any thought for travelling fans…

Oh.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Ffp no longer a thing? on 07:30 - Sep 8 with 1360 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ffp no longer a thing? on 03:52 - Sep 8 by BrianTablet

I did wonder

Ffp no longer a thing? on 08:14 - Sep 8 with 1253 viewsBlueRaider

FIFA get very excitable and start banning national teams if politics interferes in football, so suspect it is to with that

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Ffp no longer a thing? on 08:36 - Sep 8 with 1187 viewsHighgateBlue

This news story is being reported terribly by those outlets who have so far had a stab. And in turn their reports are being interpreted wrongly by those who only read a twitter summary or a headline.

What has ACTUALLY happened is this:

(i) in February, the government published plans in a white paper to introduce a new football regulator:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/a-sustainable-future-reforming-club-f

(ii) Yesterday they published a press release setting out in brief the highlights of the government's response to the consultation responses that it had received:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-outlines-preferred-structure-of-ne

(iii) the consultation response has also been published in full:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/reforming-club-football-governance-co

The main point is that the government has confirmed its commitment to establishing an unprecedented independent football regulator, and has not ditched it.

Para 55 of the consultation response sets out the point which Sky is kinda botching. Para 55 says this:

"55. The Regulator will not be regulating matters relating to sporting integrity or competition. This means it will not be able to apply sporting sanctions which directly affect sporting outcomes. The government believes that these sanctions are best left to the existing football authorities, to enforce their own respective rules in relation to sporting competition and integrity. As set out in the white paper, the Regulator would be able to assist the industry authorities in enforcing their own rules by sharing any relevant evidence to assist in their investigation, should the authorities want. To be clear, the Regulator would not insist that the leagues take any action but could simply share information where it believes it could be useful for the leagues in monitoring and enforcing their own publicly available rules."

So the sky news phrase "ruling out points deductions for breaching regulations on finances" is really very misleading. What the consultation response says is that the new regulator will not be able to impose sporting sanctions. It is inherent in this decision that the government does not want to interfere with the manner in which leagues apply sporting sanctions like points deductions.

It is therefore axiomatically the case that the possibility of points deductions is entirely unaffected by the white paper and the government response to the consultation.

Personally I would have quite liked the regulator to have been given the new and unprecedented power to impose sporting sanctions. However, the mere creation of the regulator is a very positive thing and a step in the right direction in my view. Football has proven nationally and internationally that it is incapable of governing itself in a responsible way that does not risk the stability and long term existence of clubs or even national leagues. Government was right to step in. For all of this government's multitudinous failings, they deserve at least a crumb of credit for being the first government to dare to step in in this way.

If the league decides it's going to change FFP, or change the sanctions that exist as part of the FFP regime, then that is a matter for it and it alone. If it does so decide, then any criticism should be directed at it, and not at the government or the regulator.
Ffp no longer a thing? on 08:45 - Sep 8 with 1158 viewsHorsham

Ffp no longer a thing? on 23:21 - Sep 7 by Swansea_Blue

It’s certainly loaded in the favour of the richest clubs. The idea though that there should be no footballing sanctions for regulation breaches and that most fans would be in favour of that is surely wrong though? On here, I’ve only ever seen people call for stricter sanctions when teams breach the rules. And normally there’s a lot of frustration it takes them so long to impose them.

I agree if you have a rule then people who break should be sanctioned just personally feel the rule is wrong and is a pretence at protecting the long term sustainability of clubs, and much more about protecting the status of a cartel of big clubs. The model in league 1 seems to tick the sustainability box just as well by allowing spending as long as owners put money into the club and not simply load it with debt.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024