Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McKenna 16:06 - Sep 5 with 4116 viewsBlueySwede

I am so impressed by his integrity and his calm character.
Do you think he is always like that?
I am not a fan of old school managers yelling and acting out, but I do wonder if players started to underperform or doing something they are not supposed to, do McKenna have it in him to speak up in strong words?
He just seems so nice and pleasant, looking from a fan perspective.
McKenna on 16:15 - Sep 5 with 3829 viewshoppy

You don't think he comes across as a little smarmy?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

McKenna on 16:16 - Sep 5 with 3826 viewsMookamoo

Pert and Grant are more than willing to be the shouty bad cops to McKenna's good cop.
McKenna on 16:17 - Sep 5 with 3819 viewsGeoffSentence

I think his glare could be withering.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

McKenna on 16:43 - Sep 5 with 3691 viewsSheffordBlue

McKenna on 16:16 - Sep 5 by Mookamoo

Pert and Grant are more than willing to be the shouty bad cops to McKenna's good cop.

Pretty sure that in certain circumstances McKenna doesn't mince his words either. He's just very in control so when he comes back out to the press it's all very measured.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2023 16:43]

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

McKenna on 16:48 - Sep 5 with 3621 viewsKeno

McKenna on 16:17 - Sep 5 by GeoffSentence

Just imagine what he'd ne like is someone is caught playing candy crush in a press conference

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

McKenna on 16:53 - Sep 5 with 3607 viewsSwansea_Blue

McKenna on 16:15 - Sep 5 by hoppy

It's very entertaining looking back at old threads around the time of his appointment. For example (not that I'm judging, as I've said more than my fair share of daft things on here. Also, the OP's heart was in the right place of course, just the prediction a little bit off!):

Keiran McKenna is an incredibly risky appointment which I doubt will succeed by htb 16 Dec 2021 19:09
I also think it’s quite a risk. Obviously unproven, not sure his pedigree of being part of Solskjaers coaching staff of what has widely been considered as one of the worst coached teams in the Premier League says much. If we were to go down this route I think the Chelsea coach Barry would have been the better bet. I hope I am completely wrong.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

McKenna on 16:55 - Sep 5 with 3576 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

I don't have much difficulty in imagining him saying what needs to be said when things aren't going well, and it's probably his calm persona that allows him to be more effective when he does. The other coaches will play a part in that just as Morsy is not the only leader on the pitch. A lot of managers say that they only have about three or four minutes to actually deliver a tactical message at half time, with most of the break being spent on recovery and rehydration. After the game he strikes me as the type to not get too high or too low, the response to setbacks will come in training and meetings.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

McKenna on 17:00 - Sep 5 with 3535 viewsWeWereZombies

McKenna on 16:17 - Sep 5 by GeoffSentence

I doubt whether he needs to peel his boiled egg in the morning, he just gives it one of his looks...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Login to get fewer ads

McKenna on 17:33 - Sep 5 with 3394 viewschicoazul

There is nothing and nobody more charming in the world than a product of the British public school system.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

McKenna on 17:42 - Sep 5 with 3343 viewshtb

McKenna on 16:53 - Sep 5 by Swansea_Blue

It's very entertaining looking back at old threads around the time of his appointment. For example (not that I'm judging, as I've said more than my fair share of daft things on here. Also, the OP's heart was in the right place of course, just the prediction a little bit off!):

Keiran McKenna is an incredibly risky appointment which I doubt will succeed by htb 16 Dec 2021 19:09
I also think it’s quite a risk. Obviously unproven, not sure his pedigree of being part of Solskjaers coaching staff of what has widely been considered as one of the worst coached teams in the Premier League says much. If we were to go down this route I think the Chelsea coach Barry would have been the better bet. I hope I am completely wrong.

I am very happy to have been proven wrong.
McKenna on 18:34 - Sep 5 with 3239 viewsArnoldMoorhen

If someone did something they are not supposed to do, I think McKenna would sit them down, explain why they aren't in the team for the next match, and what they need to do to get their place back.

I think he just treats adults as adults, and recruits players who he believes will best respond to that approach.
McKenna on 18:46 - Sep 5 with 3202 viewsChurchman

I think he’s as hard as nails. He doesn’t waste words but he is also very controlled in what he says and how he goes about things. He’s very impressive.
McKenna on 19:46 - Sep 5 with 3065 viewsGuthrum

I think he's more intent on solving the problem at hand than getting over-excited about it. I also think he puts together a team where there are no slackers. After all, he's had the experience of being at ManU, where underperforming players were dragging results down and did for Solskjaer's tenure.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

McKenna on 21:32 - Sep 5 with 2878 viewsReus30

I don't really want to be that guy but he is Northern Irish...

I wouldn't mess with him.
And although we hardly see it, his disappointed/disapproving look makes me feel a bit sad about myself.
McKenna on 22:02 - Sep 5 with 2819 viewsArnieM

McKenna on 16:15 - Sep 5 by hoppy

I would say McKenna is a million miles away from being smarmy. You honestly think he’s insincere then?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

McKenna on 00:12 - Sep 6 with 2711 viewsChurchman

McKenna on 22:02 - Sep 5 by ArnieM

I would say McKenna is a million miles away from being smarmy. You honestly think he’s insincere then?

I think Hoppy was referring to a remark made by a certain poster (not you) after KMs first press conference.
McKenna on 10:23 - Sep 6 with 2388 viewsDarth_Koont

Agreed.

Although the thing that really stands out for me is how clear and accurate he is as a communicator. There’s never any flip-flopping or the need to qualify statements — you get the feeling that he knows exactly what he wants to say when he says it.

Given the advanced way we play and the details he wants the players to focus on, I suspect that his simple and effective way of getting that across is more important than any specific tactical insights. And showing that clarity of thought and purpose makes him much easier to listen to and follow. I’ve not seen an Ipswich side since the Burley years that has had the same “buy in” from the players, even before the successful promotion side emerged in the second half of last season.

Pronouns: He/Him

McKenna on 12:50 - Sep 6 with 2256 viewsArnieM

McKenna on 00:12 - Sep 6 by Churchman

I think Hoppy was referring to a remark made by a certain poster (not you) after KMs first press conference.

Ah, I see. Sorry, I totally misunderstood him there then.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

McKenna on 12:51 - Sep 6 with 2246 viewshoppy

McKenna on 12:50 - Sep 6 by ArnieM

Ah, I see. Sorry, I totally misunderstood him there then.

No problem. I know it's unusual for me to not be serious for once.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

McKenna on 13:28 - Sep 6 with 2164 viewsKeno

McKenna on 12:51 - Sep 6 by hoppy

No problem. I know it's unusual for me to not be serious for once.

I wasnt sure what point you were makin

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

McKenna on 20:43 - Sep 6 with 1990 viewsFrimleyBlue

McKenna on 00:12 - Sep 6 by Churchman

Be fair

Press conference hadn't finished.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

McKenna on 21:58 - Sep 6 with 1923 viewsChurchman

McKenna on 20:43 - Sep 6 by FrimleyBlue

Be fair

Press conference hadn't finished.

I didn’t name names - just exonerated Hoppy.
McKenna on 08:54 - Sep 7 with 1726 viewsBigCommon

I don't think KM needs to scream and shout to get his point across... And I think he " hand picks" the kind of players he wants, that will respond to intelligent instruction..
When he speaks, people listen....
I get the feeling that the kind of player that will only respond to an absolute rollicking. Is exactly the kind of player that he avoids adding to our squad, where possible...Squad harmony and all that.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2023 8:55]
McKenna on 10:15 - Sep 7 with 1656 viewsOldFart71

Expectation may have a bearing on a manager. Yes McKenna is or seems very level headed. But apart from a few getting their panties in a wad (American, for knickers in a twist) McKenna hasn't had to deal with fans on his back. Who knows how he would react. Before he came to Town it was hinted that he was a bit of a schoolmaster with his tactical talks. Sir Bobby apparently was similar. Perhaps that's the trait of a good manager. Bobby apparently had a bust up with Bill Baxter as he felt perhaps that Bill had too much influence in the changing room. It's a balance really between having someone vocal and having someone who has more power than the manager. We as fans can have no complaints as to what has been achieved by McKenna. It annoys me when I read compaints about who has been brought in so far this season and how we will perform. It is after all our first season back in the Championship and we have two of our leading players out and have only lost one out of five and are second in the League.
McKenna on 11:01 - Sep 7 with 1629 viewsNaylorsrightboot

He seems a good boss and knows what he is doing, but the amount of threads on here licking his@rse looks ridiculous, blimey its so sickly sweet it makes you cringe. Im pretty sure if he read them on here he would feel mighty embarrassed the way some go over board. Its a good job he doesnt do social media.Poor bloke.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024