Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) 18:21 - Aug 2 with 5081 viewsDubtractor

I know, what's the need to read ANOTHER thread on this? I've barely made any new threads recently though, so I think I'm due my turn!

I'm broadly comfortable with where we are right now. Clearly we need to strengthen (both numbers and quality) at the back, and another striker wouldn't hurt, but otherwise we're not in too bad a shape at all. Critically there is still another month to go before the transfer window shuts, and so lets judge it at that point. That's not to write off the games between now and then, but I think we've got enough about us to pick up points.

Part of the issue with some of us feeling less happy with things currently is expectation, and obviously a lot of that has come from the club, but I'd hope that we're all smart enough to take what Ashton says with a pinch of salt. He has hyped us all up, but he's a salesman really and it has worked as we've been filling the stadium for the last 6 months, and will be again all of this season.

Realistically a top half finish* would be a really good first season back for us, and being brutally honest I'm not sure that back to back promotions would leave us well prepared for the premier league anyway. Sure it's great to be ambitious and aim for the stars, but I think we've probably got a bit carried away after the second half of last season, and we may get a bit of a rude awakening in some games - lets not forget that half (or more) of league one last season was pretty crap teams just aiming to spoil games.

This isn't about managing down expectations in light of a perceived disappointing Summer, just being pragmatic about what is realistic to expect.

*Observant posters may note that I predict 6th place for us in the prediction league, but that's just me being bullish about things and I don't genuinely expect that to be the case.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2023 18:31]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 18:29 - Aug 2 with 3583 viewsnodge_blue

Ashton also said there will be another 2 or 3 coming in. It didnt sound like we hope to get...sounded more definitive than that, so lets see who comes in.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 18:35 - Aug 2 with 3536 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

6th is top half Dubbers.
Agree with the overall sentiment, especially the back to back promotion bit (get close and we might lose KMcK though) but we are defo getting 11 points from the first 5 games!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 19:14 - Aug 2 with 3393 viewsbackwaywhen

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 18:35 - Aug 2 by BanksterDebtSlave

6th is top half Dubbers.
Agree with the overall sentiment, especially the back to back promotion bit (get close and we might lose KMcK though) but we are defo getting 11 points from the first 5 games!

As fans we need to keep our expectations in a reality check , we could well be capable of a really successful season , but let’s be real it’s not going to be a cake-walk , we have everything in place to really push on given a fair wind and a slice of Lady Luck , top 6 would be fantastic but consolidation and a good showing to the rest would also be considered progress , my prediction top 10 …. COYBs
In KM we trust .
My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 19:28 - Aug 2 with 3343 viewsNutkins_Return

Good post. Really think we've been spoilt recently in getting players in who if anything exceeded expectation and certainly our level.

It's a difficult window to operate for many reasons right now including several big sales in the championship which has meant 2-3 teams have dominated in their spending power because off FFP along with big teams coming down with parachute payments. (The Saudi stuff hasn't helped as Prem teams have had an opportunity to sell players on the fringes for well over normal market rates). We can't just throw cash at this because of ffp rules. Not like league one where owners could inject money. It's just different.

We will get players in. And they will be good players.
My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 20:51 - Aug 2 with 3160 viewsJ2BLUE

Same.

Hirst was key for me. Now we have him i'm very relaxed. I'm sure we will get another decent striker and a CB.

More than signings, I am hoping for good news on the injuries we have.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 21:06 - Aug 2 with 3104 viewsDubtractor

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 20:51 - Aug 2 by J2BLUE

Same.

Hirst was key for me. Now we have him i'm very relaxed. I'm sure we will get another decent striker and a CB.

Yep, the injuries concern me far more than a few missing signings do. Walton especially.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 21:52 - Aug 2 with 3022 viewsthe_toff

Agree with all that.

Either way it’s all about the ride isn’t it. Really looking forward to the football season being back upon us, bring it on.
My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 22:33 - Aug 2 with 2931 viewsNutkins_Return

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 21:06 - Aug 2 by Dubtractor

Yep, the injuries concern me far more than a few missing signings do. Walton especially.

Agree on Walton. That said you just have to accept injuries. Every team in every division will have them. We have decent squad depth.

The key advantage we have is the whole squad knows each other and knows their role and the system and is quite interchangeable. Yes we need to add some gold dust to get right up the table. We are ok.

Really enjoyed the keeper vid on towntv. Gave me more confidence in Hladky.
Login to get fewer ads

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 22:54 - Aug 2 with 2847 viewsCoastalblue

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 18:29 - Aug 2 by nodge_blue

Ashton also said there will be another 2 or 3 coming in. It didnt sound like we hope to get...sounded more definitive than that, so lets see who comes in.

I see where you're coming from, but as others have said Ashton is a smooth operator and a salesman as much as anything else.

Did he clarify what sort of 2 or 3?I'm not suggesting they're going to be under 18's but it's possible a couple could be development opportunities who might be expected to make minimal first team appearances?

I'd be surprised if we didn't see a centre half come in, aside from that I'm not concerned if that was it. Anything more in terms of first team quality would be a bonus.

I think the squad as stands should make top half, maybe better with a bit of luck and some early momentum, I'd be happy with that for the first season back. Will mean finishing above Nodge at least.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 23:13 - Aug 2 with 2801 viewsChurchman

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 20:51 - Aug 2 by J2BLUE

Same.

Hirst, McKenna’s contract extension, retaining Luongo and adding another midfielder were key for me.

I’d feel more comfortable with a good upper end Championship or better CH/defender at the club, but I think that’s nice to more than need to at this stage. The squad needs adding to not ripped up and replaced. Injuries? A concern, especially Clarke.
My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 23:50 - Aug 2 with 2724 viewsjayessess

This is more or less where I'm at. I thought we might have got a bit more done by now, but not a lot more and I'm not shocked that we haven't.

We've got a lot of players who've earned a shot at this league and it looks like they'll get it. We'll get some more in before the end of the window and we'll compete in the mean time. McKenna's teams are always going to be competitive.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 23:51 - Aug 2 with 2718 viewspennblue

We probably need 3 windows to build a promotion winning squad

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 00:45 - Aug 3 with 2644 viewsTalkingBlues

It’s not Ashton talking things up though, in fairness. The gaffer has always said we have a great togetherness in the squad and of course some of the players we signed in the last season, or two, were done so with an eye on making the step up and the belief that they could be comfortable in a higher league. However, he was also certain of the need to add more quality and some different attributes (not sure exactly what he was referring to) to the squad, that could build on momentum and keep us competitive in a higher league. Make no bones about it, it’s a big step up in quality and there’s plenty of really strong teams to play, it’s going to be a far cry from League 1.

Hurst thought he could dominate the Championship with a load of successful League 1 players and we all know how that turned out. We have a lot more about us than the team at that point, but we definitely need at least 3 additions to see us finishing above mid table, IMO.

The “I’d be happy to consolidate and finish mid table in our first season back” argument by some, is a view that is not shared by our owners, or McK, or Ashton, we are being funded heavily for one purpose and that’s to reach the Premier League, and to reach it yesterday.

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 05:30 - Aug 3 with 2563 viewsBlueBadger

My own personal theory around some of the bedwetting:
Being honest by BlueBadger 1 Aug 2023 21:22
Cook and, to a lesser extent, Hurst have made people a bit weird about transfer windows here.

Continuity, even when you're going up(or down) a division is king. Adding to the squad players who'll enhance and broaden your squad depth rather than whole sale change EVERY F**KING WINDOW is not necessary.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 06:04 - Aug 3 with 2531 viewsCoastalblue

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 00:45 - Aug 3 by TalkingBlues

It’s not Ashton talking things up though, in fairness. The gaffer has always said we have a great togetherness in the squad and of course some of the players we signed in the last season, or two, were done so with an eye on making the step up and the belief that they could be comfortable in a higher league. However, he was also certain of the need to add more quality and some different attributes (not sure exactly what he was referring to) to the squad, that could build on momentum and keep us competitive in a higher league. Make no bones about it, it’s a big step up in quality and there’s plenty of really strong teams to play, it’s going to be a far cry from League 1.

Hurst thought he could dominate the Championship with a load of successful League 1 players and we all know how that turned out. We have a lot more about us than the team at that point, but we definitely need at least 3 additions to see us finishing above mid table, IMO.

The “I’d be happy to consolidate and finish mid table in our first season back” argument by some, is a view that is not shared by our owners, or McK, or Ashton, we are being funded heavily for one purpose and that’s to reach the Premier League, and to reach it yesterday.

That's not the message that has been preached though, I thought we were all rather gladdened that the message was more one of long term investment and steady building year on year with the ultimate aim of established Prem. I certainly don't think Prem yesterday is the desire or plan.
Another season of solid adbancement and growth would meet the remit I'd argue, though of course they'd want to be challenging as we all would.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 07:19 - Aug 3 with 2440 viewsbilllm

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 18:29 - Aug 2 by nodge_blue

Squads better first 11 isn't,
My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 07:19 - Aug 3 with 2446 viewsSwansea_Blue

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 05:30 - Aug 3 by BlueBadger

My own personal theory around some of the bedwetting:
Being honest by BlueBadger 1 Aug 2023 21:22
Cook and, to a lesser extent, Hurst have made people a bit weird about transfer windows here.

Continuity, even when you're going up(or down) a division is king. Adding to the squad players who'll enhance and broaden your squad depth rather than whole sale change EVERY F**KING WINDOW is not necessary.

Agree to that. The question is have we enhanced the squad? As in, improved in certain positions? I’m not sure we have and I was expecting us to. But then the next question is do we actually need to? Given the quality of some players, maybe we don’t need much work at all. Hirst was key, but we had him last year. Taylor should be an improvement on most of our CMs, with room to develop. So it’s only really Taylor. The others I see as squad depth.

Part of me was expecting us to punch above Championship weight much as we punched above League 1, but maybe that’s unrealistic and unneeded.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 07:23 - Aug 3 with 2434 viewsVic

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 00:45 - Aug 3 by TalkingBlues

As coastal blue says - to get to the prem yesterday is NOT the owners aim. They’ve never, ever said that. You’re simply making up that narrative.

They want steady, incremental improvement, with each player bought coming in to add quality not numbers. I think it’s fair to expect every player bought now to be better than one of the existing players, but that is going to take time and patience.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 07:40 - Aug 3 with 2397 viewstractorboy1978

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 22:54 - Aug 2 by Coastalblue

I see where you're coming from, but as others have said Ashton is a smooth operator and a salesman as much as anything else.

Did he clarify what sort of 2 or 3?I'm not suggesting they're going to be under 18's but it's possible a couple could be development opportunities who might be expected to make minimal first team appearances?

I'd be surprised if we didn't see a centre half come in, aside from that I'm not concerned if that was it. Anything more in terms of first team quality would be a bonus.

I think the squad as stands should make top half, maybe better with a bit of luck and some early momentum, I'd be happy with that for the first season back. Will mean finishing above Nodge at least.

Ashton said on Friday we need to improve the starting 11. There seems to be more ambition to really push on from the owners, Ashton and McKenna than there is amongst the fanbase. Realistically we need to back McKenna (and they want to/are trying to) to get us out of this division ASAP or he won't be hanging around long.

I think we have a mid table squad that with a fair wind and luck with injuries could knock on the door of the top 6 but realistically we are 2/3 short, which is exactly what Ashton and by extension I'd suspect McKenna evidently think too.
My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 07:48 - Aug 3 with 2375 viewsBlueBoots

Very happy with the squad we have; watching the last set of friendlies in Austria, there isn't a single player I don't trust to do a job for us in the Championship. From Baggott deputising for Burgess, or Aluko coming off the bench and doing one of those naughty spins where he beats 3 players (and everything in between) I'm looking forward to seeing every player who earned their right last season for a crack at this level.

Now the season is upon us, unless an opportunity comes up to sign a player who's a significant upgrade on what we have, I'd prefer us to leave any more transfers for later in the window; a lot can happen in 5 matches, and it may be necessary to strengthen in positions that we weren't expecting to. Found ourselves light in areas last season (e.g. Ball / Evans injuries) which led to our mid-season wobble - thankfully sorted that out in the winter window, and we can always do the same again this year.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 08:00 - Aug 3 with 2326 viewsSteve_M

Broadly agree but with a concern over central defence and our lack of Championship experience there. Edmundson has not had a decent run of games and form since he first got injured nearly 18 months ago and Burgess, despite his good end to last season, has been shown up at times against better quality strikers.

We're definitely a forward light too at the moment, not convinced on Ladapo's ability to step up although he too improved massively across last season.

So far, the signings haven't matched the hype from the club. Hirst and Taylor are really good signings, and Hutchinson could be exciting but these aren't, err, game changing signings yet. The ending of last Summer's transfer window and bringing in Camara and Ahadme is hopefully not prescient for the next month.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 08:01 - Aug 3 with 2318 viewsBudapestByBlimp

CoastaBlue and Vic have already addressed your last paragraph, I'll have a go at your second.

Hurst scooped up players who had done well in League One and Two and tried to make them into a fully functioning team immediately in the Championship. McKenna has taken players with plenty of Championship experience ( mostly 30+ games) and moulded them into a successful squad with a playing identity in League One. The only place that I could see that lacks experience is Central Defence and I think it's pretty obvious we are trying to strengthen there.

As people are saying any progression would be a good season, top half and I'd be happy, but I really think we are better than that. Mostly because of the way we are now functioning as a team, I think we'll finish 5th this season.
My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 08:13 - Aug 3 with 2279 viewsDubtractor

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 08:00 - Aug 3 by Steve_M

Broadly agree but with a concern over central defence and our lack of Championship experience there. Edmundson has not had a decent run of games and form since he first got injured nearly 18 months ago and Burgess, despite his good end to last season, has been shown up at times against better quality strikers.

We're definitely a forward light too at the moment, not convinced on Ladapo's ability to step up although he too improved massively across last season.

So far, the signings haven't matched the hype from the club. Hirst and Taylor are really good signings, and Hutchinson could be exciting but these aren't, err, game changing signings yet. The ending of last Summer's transfer window and bringing in Camara and Ahadme is hopefully not prescient for the next month.

Agree with all of that, and that last paragraph is prob key to some of the grumbling, there has been a lot of hype from the club!

I think my expectation, compared to last season, is tempered a bit. Last season, with our budget and squad, promotion was an expectation and not to achieve it would have been a failure. This season we'll clearly be having a pop at it, but I don't feel that we have any right to expect it. And I'll feel the same about this season even if we get a couple of marquee signings in as we'll still not be one of the big hitters in the division.

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 08:21 - Aug 3 with 2231 viewsDubtractor

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 07:40 - Aug 3 by tractorboy1978

Ashton said on Friday we need to improve the starting 11. There seems to be more ambition to really push on from the owners, Ashton and McKenna than there is amongst the fanbase. Realistically we need to back McKenna (and they want to/are trying to) to get us out of this division ASAP or he won't be hanging around long.

I think we have a mid table squad that with a fair wind and luck with injuries could knock on the door of the top 6 but realistically we are 2/3 short, which is exactly what Ashton and by extension I'd suspect McKenna evidently think too.

As per my op, I agree we need a couple more through the door, in particular at CB.

If I'm honest, I'm not completely desperate to get to the Premier league ASAP, I don't see it as the holy grail. I just enjoy watching ipswich playing good football tbh, and I fear that getting promoted too soon may just condemn us to a season of struggle!

My take on our squad state and the Summer transfer window (so far) on 08:21 - Aug 3 with 2246 viewsDyland

It’s naive to expect a ton of top quality signings immediately. And if the club owners think we should’ve got them all in before the season starts then they’re naive too. Ashton is talking bullishly to his bosses as much as us fans.

No one wants “consolidation in the championship”. Reality is, it will probs take at least two windows to properly strengthen the first team and squad across the board. We absolutely need one or two defenders, and a striker. That doesn’t mean the current lot won’t make a good account of themselves in August…..

And here’s the main point, the transfer window is open for another few weeks ffs. Yeh everyone wants to do their business early, and there’s another key word there I.e. everyone. Competition innit. From established and superficially at least more attractive clubs. That extends to our limited ability to attract bargains from overseas, currently, maybe. That may hopefully change if we, er, consolidate.

Out of interest, and regarding the current squad in comparison, did Sunderland massively upgrade players last summer? I hear Blooters point e.g. about last season and where we finished but the metric to judge the existing team is surely the run of our last 15 or whatever games. We absolutely shat on everyone by any measure pro analysts and clubs use. We were ridiculously good, albeit of course it was against div 3 oppo. But we should be positive and fans stop acting like delusional spoiled kids.

Maybe that’s what they are though so hairy muff.

COYFB

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024