Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Town among the most recklessly run clubs in the league 06:32 - Jul 13 with 6130 viewsElephantintheRoom

https://www.lcp.com/media/1150389/creating-a-sustainable-future-for-football-202

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Excellent report, we should all keep a watchful eye on Town finances.. BUT on 10:00 - Jul 13 with 1046 viewsunstableblue

It’s a season out of date!

We’d be top of quadrant for sporting success, and with attendances and kit sales increase and not the summer of mass squad change… perhaps in a better financial position

But we are spending a lot again!! On infrastructure, wages and non playing staff

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Agreed Fungers on 10:06 - Jul 13 with 1036 viewsDyland

Town among the most recklessly run clubs in the league on 09:29 - Jul 13 by Funge

Absolutely fine pal.

By the report's own admission, Man City are, financially, the most 'secure' club in the world; the report acknowledges, however, that they are under investigation for 115 financial irregularities.

Is their castle built on sand? Quite probably.

Several references to the Champ being the most financially insecure league; makes sense, two-thirds of the teams there gambling on being one of the 3 teams to make it into the Prem. WBA are in all sorts, Birmingham too, Reading have just passed us on the way down after betting the house on black, and it landing on Andy Carroll.

The 20 Prem Clubs control 85% of the wealth; the big 6 48% within that. Absurd statistics.

Man Elephant is fishing for bites; and plenty he has found; as always with his posts, however, there's a few kernels of interest amongst his gloom.

He's not a budgie, I think, rather someone pretty weary of the daft money sloshing around in the game at present.

Anyway, Sunderland in less than a month.

Pretty bored of posters saying he’s a budgie, should be banned, etc. He has a different opinion tis all, and has been of that opinion since the CVA. Presumably he and/or people he knows were screwed by Sheepshanks et al. One of the more entertaining posters imo, notwithstanding the sometime disconnection with reality. There are far more idiotic and abusive and tedious twits on here, innit.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Innit (n/t) on 10:08 - Jul 13 with 1018 viewsDyland

Town among the most recklessly run clubs in the league on 09:46 - Jul 13 by Steve_M

"Man Elephant is fishing for bites; and plenty he has found; as always with his posts, however, there's a few kernels of interest amongst his gloom.

He's not a budgie, I think, rather someone pretty weary of the daft money sloshing around in the game at present."

Yeah, both broadly true I think. Although I think he normally takes a valid point, exacerbates to the nth degree and tends to ignore the wider state of the game to highlight apparent problems at ITFC.

Agreed Fungers on 10:16 - Jul 13 with 1005 viewsFunge

Agreed Fungers on 10:06 - Jul 13 by Dyland

Pretty bored of posters saying he’s a budgie, should be banned, etc. He has a different opinion tis all, and has been of that opinion since the CVA. Presumably he and/or people he knows were screwed by Sheepshanks et al. One of the more entertaining posters imo, notwithstanding the sometime disconnection with reality. There are far more idiotic and abusive and tedious twits on here, innit.

I remember getting most cross with Something Blue back in the day over our differing opinions of Sheepshanks.
Town among the most recklessly run clubs in the league on 10:23 - Jul 13 with 983 viewsAsa

The only man who could win £115m on the Euromillions and complain he was charged £0.30 to make the call to claim his prize.
Town among the most recklessly run clubs in the league on 10:28 - Jul 13 with 980 viewsGuthrum

Town among the most recklessly run clubs in the league on 09:29 - Jul 13 by Funge

Absolutely fine pal.

By the report's own admission, Man City are, financially, the most 'secure' club in the world; the report acknowledges, however, that they are under investigation for 115 financial irregularities.

Is their castle built on sand? Quite probably.

Several references to the Champ being the most financially insecure league; makes sense, two-thirds of the teams there gambling on being one of the 3 teams to make it into the Prem. WBA are in all sorts, Birmingham too, Reading have just passed us on the way down after betting the house on black, and it landing on Andy Carroll.

The 20 Prem Clubs control 85% of the wealth; the big 6 48% within that. Absurd statistics.

Man Elephant is fishing for bites; and plenty he has found; as always with his posts, however, there's a few kernels of interest amongst his gloom.

He's not a budgie, I think, rather someone pretty weary of the daft money sloshing around in the game at present.

Anyway, Sunderland in less than a month.

I think he's just someone with a misty-eyed view of what ITFC used to be like in the era of the Cobbolds, Ramsey and Robson, when football was a very different beast (especially regarding finances). This has left a very sour view of how the club was run under Evans and now having been sold to foreign owners with no apparent connection to Ipswich. Probably coupled with a genuine fear of where it may end up in terms of the club's long-term survival. Likely exacerbated by the brash and bullish approach of Mark Ashton, with the fear of that being merely a facade.

It's not particularly irrational, given what has happened to a number of grand old clubs in recent years. It is actually caring about what happens to Town. But it does create a very gloomy and pessimistic viewpoint.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Town among the most recklessly run clubs in the league on 10:28 - Jul 13 with 968 viewsFreddies_Ears

Town among the most recklessly run clubs in the league on 06:55 - Jul 13 by Funge

Genuinely interesting link, thanks.

I did take a bit of time to go through the basics of the report. It is interesting, it has defensible methodologies, and it reaches mostly sensible, if predictable, conclusions.

For all that, it isn't easy to make specific conclusions about individual clubs. The methodology does allow generalised conclusions, and identifies certain good fits, such as Southend.
For all that though, there are oddities and exceptions. Easiest to see in the case of ITFC, which we know well - as others have pointed out, there is a difference between (a) unsustainable loss-making due to year-on-year operating losses and (b) a similar scale of loss-making as a result of investment in infrastructure. (If you have a house, an extension or new bathroom might give future financial reward; the same expense on a summer of partying in the back garden, fun as it is, would only ever be a cost).

Interesting how West Ham score so highly from a financial perspective. It perhaps proves what an amazingly (suspiciously so) cheap deal they got with their stadium, albeit it is better suited to baseball.
Agreed Fungers on 10:29 - Jul 13 with 965 viewsDyland

Agreed Fungers on 10:16 - Jul 13 by Funge

I remember getting most cross with Something Blue back in the day over our differing opinions of Sheepshanks.

I remember, and those really were halcyon days, we even had Moron of the Day.

I’m never forgiving Thingers for posting we were really lucky to have Lambert. MOTD indeed, arf.

Login to get fewer ads

Agreed Fungers on 10:31 - Jul 13 with 962 viewsMattinLondon

Agreed Fungers on 10:06 - Jul 13 by Dyland

I would say that Ellie is far too one dimensional and lacks any sort of humour in their posts to be considered entertaining. If they get their kicks from winding people up, then job done. But that in itself says a lot about them.

Not an abusive poster - yeah, I agree with you. But just so tedious. Basically that poster is the chap who when getting his hair cut, reads the papers out loud moaning at every story, and annoying the other customers.
Fair enough and each to their own on 10:32 - Jul 13 with 960 viewsDyland

Agreed Fungers on 10:31 - Jul 13 by MattinLondon

I would say that Ellie is far too one dimensional and lacks any sort of humour in their posts to be considered entertaining. If they get their kicks from winding people up, then job done. But that in itself says a lot about them.

Not an abusive poster - yeah, I agree with you. But just so tedious. Basically that poster is the chap who when getting his hair cut, reads the papers out loud moaning at every story, and annoying the other customers.

He doesn’t post enough to make it easy to ignore though, imho innit.

Town among the most recklessly run clubs in the league on 10:35 - Jul 13 with 960 viewsgiant_stow

I don't understand the shock / horror reaction to this post - surely you lot weren't thinking your club was a model of fine financial management?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Town among the most recklessly run clubs in the league on 10:40 - Jul 13 with 944 viewsBiGDonnie

Thoughts on the Hirst signing?

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Town among the most recklessly run clubs in the league on 10:45 - Jul 13 with 935 viewsCheltenham_Blue

£1.5m for Hirst, but NOT £8m for Simms.

Reckless, absolutely reckless. GC20 out.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Town among the most recklessly run clubs in the league on 10:49 - Jul 13 with 929 viewsSteve_M

Town among the most recklessly run clubs in the league on 10:35 - Jul 13 by giant_stow

I don't understand the shock / horror reaction to this post - surely you lot weren't thinking your club was a model of fine financial management?

There's a bit of that and a bit of people ignoring how much higher our outgoings were than most of the rest of the division we were in last season. We were still a very good football team but context is important, as it was when McCarthy had us consistently in mid-table or above on a bottom-third Championship budget.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Agreed Fungers on 11:10 - Jul 13 with 901 viewsGeoffSentence

Agreed Fungers on 10:29 - Jul 13 by Dyland

I remember, and those really were halcyon days, we even had Moron of the Day.

I’m never forgiving Thingers for posting we were really lucky to have Lambert. MOTD indeed, arf.

Initially thought you meant Mick Lambert. Had forgotten that other herbert. Thanks a lot for reminding me.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Town among the most recklessly run clubs in the league on 11:54 - Jul 13 with 861 viewsIllinoisblue

Oh well.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024