Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Downes 07:47 - Jul 3 with 12440 viewsClutch

I know he doesn't play for us anymore, but looks like we will be playing against him next year as likely to leave West Ham, and Southampton want him.
Downes on 09:29 - Jul 3 with 1715 viewstractorboy1978

Downes on 09:25 - Jul 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

Do you have any evidence for this (other than what Joe's just posted)?
I mean, I'd love it, but I can't remotely see how it works re all the things against it I posted.

Similar to Joe really. Heard we'd enquired about him and West Ham weren't against selling him a few weeks ago. Seems an incredibly difficult deal to do though and even harder if Southampton want him with Martin there.
Downes on 09:30 - Jul 3 with 1704 viewstractorboy1978

Downes on 09:27 - Jul 3 by Garv

I'd imagine if he drops to the Champ now he goes to a club seriously expecting to finish in the top two, not a newly promoted dark hose looking to gate crash the play offs.

We wouldn't afford him anyway.

We can definitely afford him cash wise, it's whether we can afford him FFP/accounting wise. I don't know the ins and outs of his move to Swansea and subsequent move to West Ham but I'd suspect there's some jiggery pokery we can do numbers wise - still feels a very difficult deal though.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2023 9:32]
Downes on 09:35 - Jul 3 with 1651 viewsSimonds92

Downes on 09:24 - Jul 3 by itfcjoe

Absolutely - we are a different club now and he'd be our best player by some distance - can't be underestimated how much he'll have improved at West Ham in a year playing alongside likes of Rice and in Europe etc

I'd love to see how McKenna would set us up with him in there - but just think it will be too hard to get it done

Based purely on assumptions, Downes is a confident lad currently playing for his boyhood club who have just won their first trophy in however many years. Rice leaving means that currently he'd be the ideal member of the squad to play that position. Im sure he would back himself and not be wanting to go anywhere, especially back to the Championship. Having said this, whether Moyes was trying to shoehorn him in somehow i dont know, but he had Downes playing a more advanced role than he's suited to and maybe because of that Moyes doesnt think he's up to the level required and wants to get rid.
Downes on 09:35 - Jul 3 with 1638 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Downes on 08:50 - Jul 3 by CityBlue

the sell on clause would actually see us take him and be paid for it....

We’d only get more money from a sell on if Swansea had one in place with West Ham when they sold him (possible but not reported anywhere that I can see), and even then only if Downes leaves Wham for more than they paid for him, which was reportedly north of £10m

So in other words, no it wouldn’t, unless we are planning on spending 8 figures

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Downes on 09:36 - Jul 3 with 1627 viewsKieran_Knows

Downes on 09:35 - Jul 3 by Simonds92

Based purely on assumptions, Downes is a confident lad currently playing for his boyhood club who have just won their first trophy in however many years. Rice leaving means that currently he'd be the ideal member of the squad to play that position. Im sure he would back himself and not be wanting to go anywhere, especially back to the Championship. Having said this, whether Moyes was trying to shoehorn him in somehow i dont know, but he had Downes playing a more advanced role than he's suited to and maybe because of that Moyes doesnt think he's up to the level required and wants to get rid.

Do people honestly not think West Ham are going to spend a portion of that £105m from Rice on another centre mid? They've been linked with about 6-7 centre mids in the last few weeks when it became apparent Rice was off.

That would leave Downes in the same position as it has this season, on the fringes of the first team, not getting a great deal of first team football.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Downes on 09:40 - Jul 3 with 1586 viewsthe_toff

Downes on 09:04 - Jul 3 by ArnieM

People seem to be assuming Downes would want to return?
Why are WHU getting rid of him, wasnt he the next DRice?

Reading between the lines I think Moyes has wanted to see a bit more from him since he went there really. He was quite public about there being some work to do with Downes to step up to the level needed, and opportunities have been limited. Irrespective of Rice they'll be asking themselves if they see him challenging for a place there. He's 24 now, he needs to be kicking on.

Downes has still got 3 years left on his deal though, he's at the club he's always wanted to play for and I dare say he'll feel like there's unfinished business. He might be tempted to sit tight and out stay Moyes.
Downes on 09:40 - Jul 3 with 1584 viewsitfcjoe

Downes on 09:35 - Jul 3 by Simonds92

I think the general view is he's had a chance this year to stake a claim and not taken it, that may be harsh but don't think any West Ham fans would be particularly fussed to see him go as they will now be aiming far higher.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Downes on 09:45 - Jul 3 with 1530 viewsle2blue

Downes on 09:40 - Jul 3 by the_toff

Reading between the lines I think Moyes has wanted to see a bit more from him since he went there really. He was quite public about there being some work to do with Downes to step up to the level needed, and opportunities have been limited. Irrespective of Rice they'll be asking themselves if they see him challenging for a place there. He's 24 now, he needs to be kicking on.

Downes has still got 3 years left on his deal though, he's at the club he's always wanted to play for and I dare say he'll feel like there's unfinished business. He might be tempted to sit tight and out stay Moyes.

It was Mark Warburton who pushed for them to sign Downes, he left this summer. Flynn needs to be playing and West Ham want to use the Rice money to elevate their squad, not sure he’ll be a project they want to back now. As Joe says, tough deal for us to do I’d imagine.
Login to get fewer ads

Downes on 09:46 - Jul 3 with 1513 viewsBiGDonnie

It's a no from me. Would rather we concentrate on other areas that need to be sorted and he'd be on a lot of money. Probably treble what our current midfielders are on.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Downes on 09:46 - Jul 3 with 1516 viewsSimonds92

Downes on 09:36 - Jul 3 by Kieran_Knows

Do people honestly not think West Ham are going to spend a portion of that £105m from Rice on another centre mid? They've been linked with about 6-7 centre mids in the last few weeks when it became apparent Rice was off.

That would leave Downes in the same position as it has this season, on the fringes of the first team, not getting a great deal of first team football.

Of course they will, but from the perspective of Downes and his mentality im sure he backs himself to fill that position.
Downes on 09:49 - Jul 3 with 1482 viewstractorboy1978

Downes on 09:46 - Jul 3 by Simonds92

Of course they will, but from the perspective of Downes and his mentality im sure he backs himself to fill that position.

If they sign Kalvin Phillips and/or Onana or players of that ilk, he is getting nowhere near it. That's just factually true.
Downes on 09:52 - Jul 3 with 1450 viewsFrimleyBlue

No thanks. We got Taylor.

Use the money on more urgent areas Imo

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Downes on 09:54 - Jul 3 with 1437 viewsKieran_Knows

Downes on 09:52 - Jul 3 by FrimleyBlue

But what if McKenna and co still think midfield is an urgent area to upgrade?

Downes on 09:55 - Jul 3 with 1432 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Agree with this and if anything, Downes is actually in a worse position now because West Ham will spend decent money from the Rice deal on at least a couple of centre mids who will have to play.

Signed 12 months ago and had the chances but hasn't taken it. Had Moyes gone, it might be a different story for him this summer.

I would love to see Downes return, it's just FFP and balancing the books - Southampton will be in a far stronger position than us and that's before they could sell their assets like Lavia for £45m and JWP for £30m+.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Downes on 09:58 - Jul 3 with 1392 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Downes on 09:52 - Jul 3 by FrimleyBlue

Kieran McKenna turns both Taylor and Downes into multi million pound players. Have both and we seriously push on. Morsy and Luongo have plenty to pass on as well.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Downes on 09:59 - Jul 3 with 1387 viewsthe_toff

Downes on 09:55 - Jul 3 by IPSWICHFANITFC

Agree with this and if anything, Downes is actually in a worse position now because West Ham will spend decent money from the Rice deal on at least a couple of centre mids who will have to play.

Signed 12 months ago and had the chances but hasn't taken it. Had Moyes gone, it might be a different story for him this summer.

I would love to see Downes return, it's just FFP and balancing the books - Southampton will be in a far stronger position than us and that's before they could sell their assets like Lavia for £45m and JWP for £30m+.

Also with WH potentially interested in JWP it might make it a more attractive deal to include Downes within it.
Downes on 09:59 - Jul 3 with 1380 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Odd this, they are about to lose the bloke Downes is due ro replace so they have decided to sell him too?

Moyes out.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Downes on 10:03 - Jul 3 with 1351 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Downes on 09:59 - Jul 3 by the_toff

Also with WH potentially interested in JWP it might make it a more attractive deal to include Downes within it.

Yeah unfortunately I have a feeling this is the deal that will happen. JWP would be a really good signing for a club like West Ham, and likewise Downes the other way.

Downes on 10:03 - Jul 3 with 1348 viewshammo56

Downes returning to Ipswich.
Back on planet earth. . .
Downes on 10:04 - Jul 3 with 1327 viewsFrimleyBlue

Downes on 09:54 - Jul 3 by Kieran_Knows

But what if McKenna and co still think midfield is an urgent area to upgrade?

I'd personally see having just one striker as more urgent than an area where you have 7 players already.

Waka waka eh eh

Downes on 10:05 - Jul 3 with 1317 viewsKieran_Knows

Downes on 10:04 - Jul 3 by FrimleyBlue

I'd personally see having just one striker as more urgent than an area where you have 7 players already.

But Downes is twice the player of any centre mid we currently have ... and if there's a chance of signing someone of that ilk (and if their interested of course), you don't turn it down regardless of however many other centre mids you have.

Downes on 10:08 - Jul 3 with 1286 viewsGuthrum

Would we take him on loan for a year, paying only a portion of the wages and allowing an eventual return to WH?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Downes on 10:10 - Jul 3 with 1257 viewsFrimleyBlue

Downes on 10:05 - Jul 3 by Kieran_Knows

But Downes is twice the player of any centre mid we currently have ... and if there's a chance of signing someone of that ilk (and if their interested of course), you don't turn it down regardless of however many other centre mids you have.

You do if you've yet to actually sign players you genuinely need to purchase.

Would you not be a bit pssed if we signed downes but that meant we signed another ahadme because we couldn't afford a hirst.

Waka waka eh eh

Downes on 10:10 - Jul 3 with 1256 viewstractorboy1978

Downes on 10:04 - Jul 3 by FrimleyBlue

CM is the most important area though in this division. Win that battle most weeks and you'll do well. We aren't challenging at the top end with Lee Evans or Dom Ball in there for a prolonged period of time.

I'm surprised that people haven't learned yet that this ownership group don't do 'either/or'. They'll want to improve the whole spine of the team. It isn't a decent CM or a decent striker.
Downes on 10:12 - Jul 3 with 1231 viewsthe_toff

Downes on 10:10 - Jul 3 by FrimleyBlue

You do if you've yet to actually sign players you genuinely need to purchase.

Would you not be a bit pssed if we signed downes but that meant we signed another ahadme because we couldn't afford a hirst.

It's not an either or. We wouldn't sign Downes and think 'oh we won't bother with a forward now'.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024