Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! 18:46 - May 27 with 3659 viewsportmanking

If so, you can see why bookies have us priced so short next term. Very attritional football. More bluster than technique. I know they've both done exceptionally well to get to Wembley, but we really have nothing to fear do we?
Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 18:49 - May 27 with 3630 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Nothing to fear no, but I expect next season to be a tougher renewal. That being said these two are good sides. Coventry have Hamer and Gyokeres who are probably worth 40 mil combined. Luton are an extremely well coached pressing team with two strikers valued at about 5-10 million.

The games tend to be more gritty because the teams are much more evenly matched. That being said with some good additions I expect us to be competing at the right end of the table. But I’m also concerned if we do well but not promotion that’s McKenna gone…
[Post edited 27 May 2023 18:50]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 18:50 - May 27 with 3616 viewsgainsboroughblue

Championship play-off finals tend to be attritional and a bit rubbish imo. Either it's like today or one team simply fails to turn up and the other wins comfortably. Games like Swindon/Leicester, Charlton/Sunderland, Us/Barnsley etc are the exception rather than the rule.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 18:53 - May 27 with 3571 viewsLankHenners

Foolish to judge the quality of a league by a playoff final.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 18:55 - May 27 with 3548 viewsGuthrum

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 18:50 - May 27 by gainsboroughblue

Championship play-off finals tend to be attritional and a bit rubbish imo. Either it's like today or one team simply fails to turn up and the other wins comfortably. Games like Swindon/Leicester, Charlton/Sunderland, Us/Barnsley etc are the exception rather than the rule.

So much at stake, neither team can afford a mistake which might cost them promotion.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 19:00 - May 27 with 3521 viewsChurchman

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 18:49 - May 27 by TRUE_BLUE123

Nothing to fear no, but I expect next season to be a tougher renewal. That being said these two are good sides. Coventry have Hamer and Gyokeres who are probably worth 40 mil combined. Luton are an extremely well coached pressing team with two strikers valued at about 5-10 million.

The games tend to be more gritty because the teams are much more evenly matched. That being said with some good additions I expect us to be competing at the right end of the table. But I’m also concerned if we do well but not promotion that’s McKenna gone…

These are two well organised sides. One plays like Fashanu’s Wimbledon and Coventry? Well, they’ve one or two good players and they’re trying to play a passing game with an inability (today) to pass the ball. Are they good teams? Well they finished higher than most, but I don’t think the standard is great.
Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 21:01 - May 27 with 3277 viewsMetal_Hacker

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 18:49 - May 27 by TRUE_BLUE123

£40m …..you reckon

If you’re correct which I doubt , then the world has gone mad

Poll: If it were one or the other

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 22:18 - May 27 with 2848 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 19:00 - May 27 by Churchman

These are two well organised sides. One plays like Fashanu’s Wimbledon and Coventry? Well, they’ve one or two good players and they’re trying to play a passing game with an inability (today) to pass the ball. Are they good teams? Well they finished higher than most, but I don’t think the standard is great.

It’s a play off final, games always cagey. Silly to define a teams quality based on this game
[Post edited 27 May 2023 22:18]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 23:02 - May 27 with 2642 viewsChurchman

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 22:18 - May 27 by TRUE_BLUE123

It’s a play off final, games always cagey. Silly to define a teams quality based on this game

As mentioned in another post, this is not the only Championship game I’ve seen. I have seen Luton a few times over the past couple of seasons on tv too and what they do, they do well. As for cagey, that doesn’t explain why both teams struggled at times to put two passes together.

After years of failure to get out of L1 there’s a danger of over egging how good the Championship is. It really isn’t. Well organised, strong at the back, a few decent players further up the pitch and you are in with a shout.

There’s a reason why Man City, Saints, Wolves, Norwich and others progressed through it so quickly. Our club is no longer rotting under Evans’ ownership and with careful recruitment and squad adjustment we should do ok.
Login to get fewer ads

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 23:04 - May 27 with 2631 viewscressi

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 22:18 - May 27 by TRUE_BLUE123

As someone said 40 million you would have to be demented.
As for Carlton Morris worth 10 million 10 quid like he runs in treacle just a cart horse rather take a chance abroad on a player
Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 07:53 - May 28 with 2336 viewstractorboy1978

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 21:01 - May 27 by Metal_Hacker

£40m …..you reckon

If you’re correct which I doubt , then the world has gone mad

Gyokeres will go for £20m+ and prove to be a great signing at that price.
Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 08:20 - May 28 with 2251 viewsbluestandard

The main difference will be the step up in speed, athleticism and stamina in the Championship. If we deal with that transition well, then we can do well next season. I think it will be a lot harder than people think though.

Also, we entering the Championship at a time when several big clubs have navigated a few seasons of FFP restrictions and are ready to invest heavily. Boro and Stoke in particular. Should be fun!
Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 08:42 - May 28 with 2207 viewsPinewoodblue

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 08:20 - May 28 by bluestandard

The main difference will be the step up in speed, athleticism and stamina in the Championship. If we deal with that transition well, then we can do well next season. I think it will be a lot harder than people think though.

Also, we entering the Championship at a time when several big clubs have navigated a few seasons of FFP restrictions and are ready to invest heavily. Boro and Stoke in particular. Should be fun!

All I can add is Norwich must be dreadful as they couldn’t manage a top half finish.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 08:56 - May 28 with 2168 viewsHighgateBlue

It's not statistically very robust to draw conclusions from one match.

If there's any lesson from who has triumphed in the playoffs, it's surely that Luton have managed to be promoted playing a physical and attritional style over those who play more free-flowing football. That conclusion does not bode at all well for us, given that we will be in the latter camp rather than the former.

The odds will change based on numerous factors, but it's particularly not worth taking them seriously at a time when we don't even know which horses will be in the race. If Leicester and Leeds come down as expected, they will surely be shorter than us for the title.
Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 09:03 - May 28 with 2137 viewsMetal_Hacker

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 07:53 - May 28 by tractorboy1978

Gyokeres will go for £20m+ and prove to be a great signing at that price.

I’m saying both players won’t go for a combined £40m - please read my reply

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 09:38 - May 28 with 2054 viewsHerbivore

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 08:56 - May 28 by HighgateBlue

If there's any lesson from who has triumphed in the playoffs, it's surely that Luton have managed to be promoted playing a physical and attritional style over those who play more free-flowing football. That conclusion does not bode at all well for us, given that we will be in the latter camp rather than the former.

The odds will change based on numerous factors, but it's particularly not worth taking them seriously at a time when we don't even know which horses will be in the race. If Leicester and Leeds come down as expected, they will surely be shorter than us for the title.

Burnley walked the league playing a similar brand of football to us, if we want to be drawing really wild conclusions.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 10:20 - May 28 with 1958 viewstractorboy1978

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 09:03 - May 28 by Metal_Hacker

I’m saying both players won’t go for a combined £40m - please read my reply

It’s probably not far out. Who pissed in your cornflakes?
Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 10:29 - May 28 with 1931 viewsMetal_Hacker

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 10:20 - May 28 by tractorboy1978

It’s probably not far out. Who pissed in your cornflakes?

It’s also probably miles off and I don’t like cornflakes

Seemingly you’re a better footballer financier than I

Some people are just rude

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 10:38 - May 28 with 1913 viewsChurchman

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 08:56 - May 28 by HighgateBlue

The only way it doesn’t bode well for us is if you conclude that Luton’s hoofball is the only way to get out of the Championship. How many examples would you like that prove it isn’t?

I’ll make a start: Burnley, Sheffield United, Fulham, Villa, Newcastle, ‘plucky little Bournemouth’, Norwich, Brighton, Forest.
Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 10:38 - May 28 with 1912 viewsSwansea_Blue

It’s been a poor league this season imo. Coventry were really nothing special and flattered by Gyokores’ goals. There’s a slight step up in speed and intensity that may surprise a few people. But if we can cope with that and avoid errors, we should do ok.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 10:45 - May 28 with 1900 viewsiamatractorboy

I think we will be fine at home, but away days could be a bit of a slog next season. I think 60pts is a realistic target to be honest. I'm not sure anyone will be planning for an immediate tilt at promotion.
Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 11:48 - May 28 with 1769 viewstextbackup

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 08:20 - May 28 by bluestandard

The more champ games I see the more cautious I am about our CM positions.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 16:16 - May 28 with 1565 viewsbluestandard

Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 11:48 - May 28 by textbackup

The more champ games I see the more cautious I am about our CM positions.

I agree with this, but would also add centre backs to that. I predict however that if we can get them back firing on all cylinders, Camara and Fridge will be regular starters next season.
Are this lot really the top 6 benchmark?! on 16:52 - May 28 with 1514 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The sole reason for these odds is fans of the sides prepared to put early money on them. Once the relegated sides are known, more money will be placed on them. Once transfer dealings become known, it will change again.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024